Wire transfer - refunds?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I can't be a r s e d to read it . Can you do a pr!cis ?
  • hollydays wrote: »

It's an MSE write up on money transfer services and the one the OP refers to (Azimo) is specifically mentioned.
    There is also an MSE code you can enter when using the service and this gives you a £10 gift card if you transfer £200+.
    To be fair, it does read like MSE is recommending the company.
  • It's an MSE write up on money transfer services and the one the OP refers to (Azimo) is specifically mentioned.
    There is also an MSE code you can enter when using the service and this gives you a £10 gift card if you transfer £200+.
    [STRIKE]To be fair, it does read like MSE is recommending the company.[/STRIKE] got paid to mention them

• NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    hollydays wrote: »

Try reading post No 10 and correcting it please.
  • Thanks for your replies. Basically no rights with azimo?

I've done a couple of high value wire transfer via nationwide with a company I know well. Perfect except fees and rates.

This company, I understand to be reputable, but I've not known them (they're in USA) hence my question if anything went wrong.. Purchase amount several thousand.

Why wire transfer? That's they're choice for international purchases. I did offer PayPal as I'm protected but they want wire transfer.

So azimo notification today saying funds returned to my account after saying completed because declined / returned by their bank or couldn't locate their details.

So I know have to wait 5 days for that.

Unfortunately, I can't see me proceeding now, something is nagging me and it may not be their issue or in their control.

I have relayed this back to them, and offered PayPal. That would be my safest option as I can open a case if something went wrong... OK they incur 4% fees or whatever...but if they want my custom..
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Basically no rights with azimo?
    Correct, as far as I can see. All they do is transfer the money. Not their problem if you later become entitled to a refund.
    Why wire transfer? That's they're choice for international purchases.
    Sometimes it's "their choice" because they don't want the other strings which come attached to taking money by e.g. credit card or PayPal. And are able to take the cash and run off into the sunset. Might be perfectly legit though.
  • Before signing up to azimo, I tried with transfer wise and the details or something they said were incorrect, so that was a non starter. May be an error with transfer wise, I don't know

Hence, why I am a bit worried after 2 attempts
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    To be fair, it does read like MSE is recommending the company.
    What the * means above

If a link has an * by it, that means it is an affiliated link and therefore it helps MoneySavingExpert stay free to use, as it is tracked to us. If you go through it, it can sometimes result in a payment or benefit to the site. It's worth noting this means the third party used may be named on any credit agreements.

You shouldn’t notice any difference and the link will never negatively impact the product. Plus the editorial line (the things we write) is NEVER impacted by these links. We aim to look at all available products. If it isn't possible to get an affiliate link for the top deal, it is still included in exactly the same way, just with a non-paying link
    So hardly specifically "recommended", but certainly paid for.
  • After an email exchange with the company (I think a one man outfit), it seems my typo use of 'ltd' instead of 'inc' may have caused a rejection by their bank (CHASE BANK).

Would this type of typo cause this?

Anyway, it has given me a breather I guess.

It is an expensive item, though I've sold something else to fund this hobby/passion, I need to be sure as it will dent my savings a bit.

I suppose it's made me ask if I need it, if I love the item that much.

Also, I'm still weary of wire transfer if I have no recompense.

Though I don't feel a pressure to complete purchase, I need to think and decide...

If I go ahead, maybe I need to agree to their terms, but if I insist on PayPal, they will think I'm not trusting and not do business (I can't find this rare item anywhere cheaper and will unlikely hang around...)

Hmm
  • Would I have more protection doing the transfer through my nationwide flex account or select cc? That's how I've done it before elsewhere, and just swallowed the bad rates / charge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure