Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 14th Jan 20, 4:57 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 10Thanks
    EHomer
    Help! 500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:57 PM
    Help! 500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property 14th Jan 20 at 4:57 PM
    So I sold my home 3 months ago. Moved out as quick as I could to help buyers out as they gave notice on rented property before sale agreed. 3 months later I've received the below email. I've had no notice of this, no pictures and no chance to rectify. I cleaned it when empty prior to leaving it empty. I left the cooker and dishwasher for nothing as agreed as they were first time buyers and I wanted to try and help them out.
    Any advice would be amazing. I don't know what to do. The solicitors are useless so not expecting them to be of much use. Theyve not even sent me the pictures mentioned in the email.

Good Afternoon
    We have received a complaint from the buyers solicitors in relation to the state of the property when the buyer moved in. Please see below extract received:
    See below list of items/expenses I would expect to be compensated for:
    I've also included expenses related to cleaning this property to make it suitable for living, as per previous pictures you can see that property hasn't been cleaned for a while

Electric socket

garbage liners

Cleaning wipes

Electric bulbs

Scrub/Brush

Paint
    2 x20.00

Set for painting
    2x6.99

Bucket

Paint

Cleaning cloth

Limescale remover

Dustsheet
    2 x2.99

masking tape
    2 x3.99

Polyfilla filler

Roller set

Painting roller

Paint

Paint

Labor cost

Total

I'm really looking forward for cooperation and open for discussion to settle this case with partial payment of 500

I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list. I look forward to your comments on the above.
    Kind Regards
Page 3
    • markin
    • By markin 15th Jan 20, 12:54 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    markin
    This is how tenants feel I would imagine
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead

This, They clearly rented too long and now think they can treat you like they were treated, they must have tennant ptsd.
    • kdotdotdotdot
    • By kdotdotdotdot 15th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    kdotdotdotdot
    Anyone else wondering if this poster sold their home to this person: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6090840 ???
    • Halfie
    • By Halfie 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Halfie
    Oh sweety... our house had been stood empty for 11 months and previous to that was lived in by a very elderly infirm gentleman. Filth actually ran off the walls and tiles when we started cleaning and the cooker hood was a fire hazard cause it was so full of fat. And what came out of the carpet should probably have been donated to medical science! Believe me I considered this course of action too but figured it would get me now where as cleanliness is subjective... Ignore them. Costs of cleaning materials are, in my mind, part of moving costs! As for them trying to claim for painting materials.... taking the proverbial!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Jan 20, 3:36 PM
    • 35,643 Posts
    • 22,496 Thanks
    DCFC79
    650 labour charge for cleaning a house and a bit of redecorating (38 of paint won't go far)???

They were robbed
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus

Not just the paint but I reckon they were robbed on other items too.

OP keep us updated with any further news.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 15-01-2020 at 3:39 PM.
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 15th Jan 20, 5:16 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    EHomer
    Anyone else wondering if this poster sold their home to this person:
    Originally posted by kdotdotdotdot
    Nope. The boiler was serviced at their request and radiators bled. Oven was spotless too. No leak on kitchen either.
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 15th Jan 20, 5:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    EHomer
    Oh sweety... our house had been stood empty for 11 months and previous to that was lived in by a very elderly infirm gentleman. Filth actually ran off the walls and tiles when we started cleaning and the cooker hood was a fire hazard cause it was so full of fat. And what came out of the carpet should probably have been donated to medical science! Believe me I considered this course of action too but figured it would get me now where as cleanliness is subjective... Ignore them. Costs of cleaning materials are, in my mind, part of moving costs! As for them trying to claim for painting materials.... taking the proverbial!
    Originally posted by Halfie
    I know how you feel. House we moved into was same. Empty for a year and full of grime. The kitchen was worst part here too. Getting our bill together for the purchase
    Urgh I don't even want to imagine the colour of the water that came out the carpet. Just think of the end goal of a home you made your own!
    One of our rooms looks like the 70s partied too hard and threw up everywhere. The carpet matches the wallpaper. They wallpapered around the wardrobe too...
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 15th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    EHomer
    So I replied to the solicitor

Good evening

Please do not respond to this request from them. The house was sold in a condition commensurate to their viewing, they were offered to come to the property when I went back to clean the property.
    To answer will I pay for their bill of items, the answer now will be as it will be going forward, and i refer you to Hamlet Act 3 Scene 3 Line 87... "No".
    I do wonder however what the bill would be for a house requiring renovation. If for a small end terrace it is to this value a house requiring full renovation must be a considerable amount.
    Please do not respond to any further communication from them regarding this as I am not paying for anything.

Many thanks
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 15th Jan 20, 6:13 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    OP are you in the USA by any chance. This is a UK site.
    Originally posted by tealady
    I doubt someone would have their lawyer deal with this kind of nonsense at $500 an hour.
    • SelmestonFTB
    • By SelmestonFTB 16th Jan 20, 9:19 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    SelmestonFTB
    This is madness, ignore it completely!
    When I bought my flat the seller had strategically placed furniture around to hide the fact that the carpets weren't fitted, just laid down on the floor & there was smoke staining throughout which wasn't obvious until she took the pictures down.
    But to be honest I didn't care about any of that, I can see why she did it and it's my own fault for not noticing.
    These people are crazy for trying to get compensation! Why anyone would think it's worth the hassle I don't know.
    Mortgage starting June 19: 140,500.00
    Mortgage currently: 137,300.00
    Overpayments TD: 1,638.10
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 16th Jan 20, 9:52 AM
    • 8,930 Posts
    • 9,321 Thanks
    eddddy
    I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list. I look forward to your comments on the above.
    Originally posted by EHomer
    Just a thought... Are you sure your solicitor isn't treating this almost as a joke?

You could almost interpret the para above as...
    They wasted my time by sending this stupid request, with a bunch of drinks receipts...

So I played along, and wasted their time, by asking for a revised list without the drinks.

What do you think of that?
    • Madmel
    • By Madmel 16th Jan 20, 10:06 AM
    • 669 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Madmel
    Pretty sure I have posted this before but we had something tried on from buyers about missing window keys. The son of the vendor tried to claim that all the windows needed replacing - they weren't even locked. You could buy keys online for approx 2 each and it was 2 windows. This vendor had messed us around for months, the final straw being that she didn't realise that she would have to pay a deposit at exchange. She then wanted us to wait a further 3 weeks AFTER her current property had been bought by the property management people for completion. The window thing really was taking the proverbial.

Our wonderful solicitor rang me and I could hear the trepidation in her voice when she told me. Her view was "how far do you want me to tell them to F off?" but slightly more polite. I asked her to send the reply quoted on page 2 from Arkell vs Pressdram. She was not familiar with the case but did her due diligence and sent the letter. She refused to charge us for it because we had educated her on a legal matter and she wanted to get one over on the other side. That was the last we heard of them.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Jan 20, 10:09 AM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Blimey, I've been in my house just over a year now and I've just about got there with the decorating all bar one room - maybe I should present the previous owner with a bill as well?

It'd be hard though as she's dead now.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Jan 20, 10:14 AM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    650 labour charge for cleaning a house and a bit of redecorating (38 of paint won't go far)???
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Paint
    2 x20.00

Paint

Paint

Paint

38 ? Where did you go to school?
    • ACG
    • By ACG 16th Jan 20, 10:24 AM
    • 19,874 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    ACG
    So I replied to the solicitor

Good evening

Please do not respond to this request from them. The house was sold in a condition commensurate to their viewing, they were offered to come to the property when I went back to clean the property.
    To answer will I pay for their bill of items, the answer now will be as it will be going forward, and i refer you to Hamlet Act 3 Scene 3 Line 87... "No".
    I do wonder however what the bill would be for a house requiring renovation. If for a small end terrace it is to this value a house requiring full renovation must be a considerable amount.
    Please do not respond to any further communication from them regarding this as I am not paying for anything.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by EHomer
    Well done. You now look like a bit silly/childish to the person who helped you sell your home. The solicitor also tried to do you a favour by having them take anything off the bill that is not applicable before coming to you with it. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is debatable but they still tried to help, I am guessing after you quoting hamlet and ending it sounding like a kid, that help will probably be thin on the ground going forward.

Just a simple thanks for informing me, please can you advise the couple you do not believe the costs are valid and so will not be paying nor replying to further correspondence and thanking your solicitor would have been a lot better (in my opinion).
    Last edited by ACG; 16-01-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 16th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Blimey, I've been in my house just over a year now and I've just about got there with the decorating all bar one room - maybe I should present the previous owner with a bill as well?

It'd be hard though as she's dead now.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite

It's probably in the worst possible taste but this made me laugh so much I spat my coffee out...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jan 20, 3:19 PM
    • 27,591 Posts
    • 27,774 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's probably in the worst possible taste but this made me laugh so much I spat my coffee out...
    Originally posted by Skiddaw1
    Careful, Bertie, you'll get a cleaning bill.
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 16th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Brilliant!!!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jan 20, 3:26 PM
    • 27,591 Posts
    • 27,774 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You'll have to take me to court, y'know.
    • Ben1989
    • By Ben1989 17th Jan 20, 9:14 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Ben1989
    Tell then you'll pay, but you'll be reimbursed for this in the sale of all the white goods in the property that you left for them.
    • lees80
    • By lees80 17th Jan 20, 9:40 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    lees80
    The easiest response to this would've been to tell your solicitor not to act and end all correspondence. The transaction is complete - nothing else to discuss.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,926Posts Today

4,798Users online

Martin's Twitter