Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 14th Jan 20, 4:57 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 10Thanks
    EHomer
    Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:57 PM
    Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property 14th Jan 20 at 4:57 PM
    So I sold my home 3 months ago. Moved out as quick as I could to help buyers out as they gave notice on rented property before sale agreed. 3 months later I've received the below email. I've had no notice of this, no pictures and no chance to rectify. I cleaned it when empty prior to leaving it empty. I left the cooker and dishwasher for nothing as agreed as they were first time buyers and I wanted to try and help them out.
    Any advice would be amazing. I don't know what to do. The solicitors are useless so not expecting them to be of much use. Theyve not even sent me the pictures mentioned in the email.

Good Afternoon
    We have received a complaint from the buyers solicitors in relation to the state of the property when the buyer moved in. Please see below extract received:
    See below list of items/expenses I would expect to be compensated for:
    I've also included expenses related to cleaning this property to make it suitable for living, as per previous pictures you can see that property hasn't been cleaned for a while

Electric socket
    £8.99

garbage liners
    £1.00

Cleaning wipes
    £1.99

Electric bulbs
    £13.98

Scrub/Brush
    £1.99

Paint
    2 x£20.00
    £40.00

Set for painting
    2x£6.99
    £13.98

Bucket
    £0.97

Paint
    £26.00

Cleaning cloth
    £2.99

Limescale remover
    £1.49

Dustsheet
    2 x£2.99
    £5.98

masking tape
    2 x£3.99
    £7.98

Polyfilla filler
    £2.99

Roller set
    £2.49

Painting roller
    £2.99

Paint
    £23.00

Paint
    £15.00

Labor cost
    £650.00

Total
    £823.81

I'm really looking forward for cooperation and open for discussion to settle this case with partial payment of £500

I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list. I look forward to your comments on the above.
    Kind Regards
Page 2
    • seradane
    • By seradane 14th Jan 20, 5:42 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    seradane
    We don't know that the OP's solicitor has replied, just that he received the e-mal from his solicitor including the extract of the buyer's complaint (I being the buyer?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    The end of the solicitor's email says:

I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list. I look forward to your comments on the above.
    So this is apparently OP's solicitor advising OP that they've already asked the buyer's solicitor for a revised list of expenses
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Jan 20, 5:44 PM
    • 19,866 Posts
    • 11,397 Thanks
    ACG
    Did you take lightbulbs you said you would leave?
    Aside from that, I cant see how you are liable for any of the rest.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Jan 20, 5:48 PM
    • 13,188 Posts
    • 29,715 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    What is about today>

Are the schools closed with the stormy weather or something?

So many of these first time incredulous posts all in one day.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jan 20, 6:07 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's very simple.

Tell your solicitors that you will not be paying, that the property was in a condition commensurate with their viewings and the contract of sale.

And tell the solicitor also that you will not be paying them for any of their time in dealing with this or similar matters...
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 14th Jan 20, 6:15 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Please tell me this thread ain't serious.....
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Jan 20, 6:16 PM
    • 14,385 Posts
    • 16,806 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list
    Originally posted by EHomer
    Were they trying to get you to pay for their housewarming party too?
    • ethank
    • By ethank 14th Jan 20, 6:19 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    ethank
    They don't have a claim
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 14th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    EHomer
    I am surprised that their solicitors entertained this and didn't tell them that they now owned the property and were not tenants
    "make it suitable for living!" I assume you lived in it so it was suitable for living...they saw the place before they purchased...they should pay for their own redecorating
    I agree though you should just have ignored the first contact.
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Did you take lightbulbs you said you would leave?
    Aside from that, I cant see how you are liable for any of the rest.
    Originally posted by ACG
    No all light bulbs worked when we moved out. I wouldn't do something like that I even left a couple of dishwasher tablets for them as they'd not had a dishwasher before.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 14th Jan 20, 9:11 PM
    • 6,787 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Tell your solicitor not to respond to any further communication about this and that you wonít be paying anything.

Lodge a complaint through the solicitorís complaint process that they responded once already without checking with you.
    • BrownTrout
    • By BrownTrout 14th Jan 20, 9:19 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    BrownTrout
    What is about today>

Are the schools closed with the stormy weather or something?

So many of these first time incredulous posts all in one day.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Indeed !! This has really made me laugh on a rubbish horrible day.
    If true then it shows how stupid people are
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 15th Jan 20, 9:48 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    Pesonally would just refer them to the answer given in Arkell -v- Pressdram
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 15th Jan 20, 11:10 AM
    • 10,481 Posts
    • 5,675 Thanks
    dimbo61
    Caveat Emptor
    Caveat emptor (/ˈɛmptɔːr/; from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavēre, "to beware" + ēmptor, "buyer") is Latin for "Let the buyer beware". It has become a proverb in English. Generally, caveat emptor is the contract law principle that controls the sale of real property after the date of closing, but may also apply to sales of other goods. The phrase caveat emptor and its use as a disclaimer of warranties arise from the fact that buyers typically have less information than the seller about the good or service they are purchasing. This quality of the situation is known as 'information asymmetry'. Defects in the good or service may be hidden from the buyer, and only known to the seller.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jan 20, 11:19 AM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    This is how tenants feel I would imagine
    • MattWoodmead
    • By MattWoodmead 15th Jan 20, 11:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MattWoodmead
    This is how tenants feel I would imagine
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    Just happened to me when I moved out of a rented place, even though I left it cleaner than when I arrived. I ignored that too. There was nothing that they could claim was beyond fair wear and tear and I had photos to prove it.
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 15th Jan 20, 11:51 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    EHomer
    Hi all
    emailed solicitor saying would be loging a complaint as they spoke to them without my consent and I won't be paying anything well she's quoted it below so see below. Haha
    Dishwasher and oven were in paperwork as being left and fully agreed prior to leaving them.

The response;
    Good Morning
    Thank you for your email. I am sorry that you feel that way.
    The original email from the buyer was unclear as to what exactly was required. I merely went back to them for clarity in respect of what they were asking. I forwarded on their comments with exact requirements as soon as received so I do not feel that this has in anyway caused any additonal issues.

Should you decide not to correspond with the buyer in regards to the issues then it would be their decision whether or not they believed they had a case through a small claims court.
    I do not however wish to go back to them further without clarification on your response as do not want to cause any undue upset to yourself. Please therefore confirm if you are happy for me to provide your comments that:
    The house was left in a condition commensurate with their viewing. I offered for them to come view the property on Sunday 8th September whilst I was there cleaning it as I had moved everything out on the 7th. I lived in the property prior to this so unsure how it needed to be made suitable for living.
    The dishwasher and oven was also left for no additonal charge
    I am not responsible for any redecorating they wanted to do. This is not a tenancy this is a house sale.
    I will not be paying anything including any fees for you entertaining this claim or contacting their solicitor when you were not authorised to do so. I will not be responding to anything further from yourself or their solicitors.
    Please let me know if you would like me to pass on the above or if you would like to amend the comments.

Regards
    Crappy solicitor
    Last edited by EHomer; 15-01-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    • gardian8
    • By gardian8 15th Jan 20, 12:03 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    gardian8
    Pesonally would just refer them to the answer given in Arkell -v- Pressdram
    Originally posted by ciderboy2009
    Never heard of that before but glad I googled it
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Jan 20, 12:07 PM
    • 51,150 Posts
    • 64,155 Thanks
    G_M
    Hi all
    emailed solicitor saying would be loging a complaint as they spoke to them without my consent and I won't be paying anything well she's quoted it below so see below. Haha
    Dishwasher and oven were in paperwork as being left and fully agreed prior to leaving them.
    Originally posted by EHomer
    Personally I'd instruct you solicitor not to respond, but to forward any further communication from them to you for your consideration.
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    • EHomer
    • By EHomer 15th Jan 20, 12:39 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    EHomer
    Just happened to me when I moved out of a rented place, even though I left it cleaner than when I arrived. I ignored that too. There was nothing that they could claim was beyond fair wear and tear and I had photos to prove it.
    Originally posted by MattWoodmead
    That's the thing if it was tenancy fair enough. But they bought the house and when viewing it told us they already planned to redecorate.
    Sorry it happened to you too though.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 15th Jan 20, 12:50 PM
    • 5,808 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    pimento
    Are you sure your solicitor is a solicitor? The composition of the letter she intends to write looks like it was drafted by a layman. I'd be very disappointed if my solicitor were to send a letter in that format.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • mpet
    • By mpet 15th Jan 20, 12:51 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    mpet
    Personally, I would cut the response (if any) down to
    The house was left in a condition commensurate with their viewing.I will not be paying anything

After that I would not enter any further dialogue on the subject.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter