Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • db2016
    • By db2016 14th Jan 20, 3:31 PM
    • 231Posts
    • 520Thanks
    db2016
    Making overpayments - does DD still take?
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:31 PM
    Making overpayments - does DD still take? 14th Jan 20 at 3:31 PM
    i have got a new CC (tesco 15m) and its first payment set up DD is 250. and the minimum on the statement due at end of jan, is 25. and on the main screen of the app it said something like "DD will take on or around 30th for 250"

but i have been looking at my current account and any "odd" balance i have paid off the CC.

and now it says on main screen "thank you we have recieved 40.xx" in payments.

now i know this is over the 25 minimum so is that why the first message has disappeared?

and will the 250 DD on 30th still take, or will it not, as i have paid over the minimum 25, because i have paid 40? thanks
Page 1
    • easterbunni
    • By easterbunni 14th Jan 20, 3:43 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    easterbunni
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:43 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:43 PM
    The Ts&Cs for the card should state what they do with extra payments. Some take the DD anyway, some have a time limit depending on when you make the payment.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 14th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    I've had a quick look at Tesco's Credit Card website. I cannot see anywhere where it explains what it does with additional payments. Is it not written on you statement anywhere? Like the PP says, some companies still take the direct debit anyway (even for the full amount), some offset the additional payment against the direct debit, and some don't take the direct debit. I will also depend upon how close to the direct debit date you make the additional payment.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 4:08 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:08 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:08 PM
    Best bet ring tesco and ask.

As has been said different card provider work in different ways.
    • yksi
    • By yksi 14th Jan 20, 5:48 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    yksi
    • 14th Jan 20, 5:48 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 5:48 PM
    Tesco imo is not great for finding your way around the internet banking in general.

But more to the point, you're going to struggle to keep track of everything if you pay odd bits here and there - you won't easily be able to see whether payments belong to the statement due or to purchases that will fall on the next statement. The safest way to keep track is to either set the DD to pay off in full, or cancel it then wait for the statement and pay it manually each month.
    3 a Day January 61/93
    2020 in 2020 61/2020
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 14th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 14th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    I can't answer with regard to Tesco as I don't have one of their cards, but it is a very popular card so there must be several posters on this forum who have one and will know the answer.
    Can you not check your statements?
    Statements tend to say something along the lines of either 'Any payments you make prior to X working days before the direct debit is due to be taken will reduce your direct debit' OR 'Your direct debit will continue to be taken regardless of any payments made',.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 14-01-2020 at 6:00 PM.
    • Thomas Crown
    • By Thomas Crown 14th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Thomas Crown
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    I have a Tesco World Mastercard and making additional payments will reduce / cancel the direct debit. Obviously, there will be a cut off point of something like 24 / 48 hours before the date of collection, after which the direct debit will not be reduced / cancelled.
    • Jami74
    • By Jami74 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Jami74
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    I have a Tesco credit card

It is just coming to the end of a zero percent on purchases promotion. For the entire promotional period the direct debit was set to take a minimum payment of 25 and it took this every month without fail. I made additional payments throughout the month (I was getting paid erratically).

I set the direct debit to repay in full to take for the first time in January and it didn't take, although it said it would on the statement. I had paid off more than the 'pay in full' amount (had used it for Christmas shopping) in a couple of transactions a couple of weeks before the direct debit was due.

There is a small section on the statement under the box about Ways to Pay that states
    "additional payments made between the statement date and required payment date may affect the amount of the direct debit"
    It's a bit vague. Best to make sure the money is available to be taken just in case.
    Mature student 2011-2016
    Professional
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
    Save 9.6k in 2020 - #30 305.50/9,600
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 15th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    20aday
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    I have a Tesco Bank Foundation credit card with a Direct Debit set up for 30/month and last month I made an additional payment of 30 well before the date it was due to be collected and they still took it.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 15th Jan 20, 10:04 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    Martin did a chart once showing what each provider did re DDs
    • db2016
    • By db2016 15th Jan 20, 11:09 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    db2016
    i have called, and also fb messaged tesco (i did the message as on hold), and the caller, and the message both said yes, the DD would still take

also, a lot on here do the odds and ends overpayments, i'm not in debt as such (like the DFW boards), but yea it seems common eg if your current account is at 359.99 - to pay 9.99 as an overpayment on a bill / card etc.

But more to the point, you're going to struggle to keep track of everything if you pay odd bits here and there - you won't easily be able to see whether payments belong to the statement due or to purchases that will fall on the next statement. The safest way to keep track is to either set the DD to pay off in full, or cancel it then wait for the statement and pay it manually each month.
    Originally posted by yksi
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 15th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Alexd52
    I have a Tesco Bank Foundation credit card with a Direct Debit set up for 30/month and last month I made an additional payment of 30 well before the date it was due to be collected and they still took it.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    If your DD is for a set amount, I would expect them to take it anyway, unless you have paid it off in full. The only DD's I would expect to be adjusted for overpayments (for those cc's that do it) are if set for min payment or pay in full
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 15th Jan 20, 6:17 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Ben8282
    If your DD is for a set amount, I would expect them to take it anyway, unless you have paid it off in full. The only DD's I would expect to be adjusted for overpayments (for those cc's that do it) are if set for min payment or pay in full
    Originally posted by Alexd52
    Never encountered such an arrangement. It is always one or the other.
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 16th Jan 20, 12:17 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Alexd52
    Never encountered such an arrangement. It is always one or the other.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I have one card where my DD is for a set amount on a 0% and I have paid extra on occasion with the DD being unaffected (they do adjust on min or pay in full DD's)
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 18th Jan 20, 8:54 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    2e0arr
    Tesco told me if for example the account balance was zero and been no transactions during the month a fixed amount will not be taken.
    A fixed amount payment will not put your account in credit as not allowed by fca.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 18th Jan 20, 9:28 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    i have called, and also fb messaged tesco (i did the message as on hold), and the caller, and the message both said yes, the DD would still take
    Originally posted by db2016

I used to work for Tesco Credit Card and if you made any payments to your account it would then deduct that amount from your DD or if the payment was more than your DD it would not even take the DD.

It used to cause so many issues with people paying extra and then after a few months their DDs needed resetting up again and them getting late payment fees from the DD then not getting taken etc.

I have a Tesco CC and just checked my statement. I can see I made an extra payment well above my DD amount in December 2019 (weeks before payment due date) and they have taken my January 2020 minumum payment still.
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter