Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ck11zws
    • By ck11zws 14th Jan 20, 12:20 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ck11zws
    Notice of Pending Enforcement Action
    • 14th Jan 20, 12:20 AM
    Notice of Pending Enforcement Action 14th Jan 20 at 12:20 AM
    Hi all,

I received a parking fine around 2 years ago from Millennium Door & Event Security and ignored the notice. I was never sent evidence of my car being parked on the property so I did not think anything of it (Stupid I know).

I recently received a letter for BWLegal stating there was a CCJ entered against me during May 2018 and that they are acting on behalf of MD&E to seek the balance of 267.68 and that if I did not respond, would result in more charges, attachment of earnings, examination order or bailiff.

What possible options do I have with this?
    Should I just pay it?

There was no change of address, I simply ignored everything that came through the letterbox.
    I've sent an email to BWLegal requesting information regarding my case.

Please refrain from enforcing my naivety and stupidity, as I know what I did was plain idiotic and should of followed the guidelines set within this forum (Didn't know they existed at the time).

Thanks in advance for any response.
    Last edited by ck11zws; 14-01-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Jan 20, 1:15 AM
    • 19,592 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:15 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:15 AM
    Did you receive a County Court Claim Form?

If you didn't receive one, there may be a chance, but if you did receive a Claim Form and ignored that too, you may have very few options.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jan 20, 1:29 AM
    • 80,679 Posts
    • 95,217 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:29 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:29 AM
    What possible options do I have with this?
    Apply to set it aside if you can honestly say the claim was not properly served to your address. The NEWBIES thread post #2 explains about this option. Court fee = 255!

Second choice - if you want to resolve it but are unsure if you ever saw a claim form - email the parking firm to ask for their consent to set it aside and what settlement they would consider to consent. Court fee = 100. Make it clear you are NOT asking them to just take payment & mark it as 'satisfied' which is not acceptable.

Should I just pay it?
    No, do as above, read the set aside section in the NEWBIES thread post #2.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • ck11zws
    • By ck11zws 14th Jan 20, 9:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ck11zws
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:58 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:58 AM
    Did you receive a County Court Claim Form?

If you didn't receive one, there may be a chance, but if you did receive a Claim Form and ignored that too, you may have very few options.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Thanks for the reply Keith. I honestly can't remember receiving any Claim Form. Possibly got lost or miss-delivered.

Apply to set it aside if you can honestly say the claim was not properly served to your address. The NEWBIES thread post #2 explains about this option. Court fee = 255!

Second choice - if you want to resolve it but are unsure if you ever saw a claim form - email the parking firm to ask for their consent to set it aside and what settlement they would consider to consent. Court fee = 100. Make it clear you are NOT asking them to just take payment & mark it as 'satisfied' which is not acceptable.

No, do as above, read the set aside section in the NEWBIES thread post #2.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Cheers for the response! I've given BWLegal an email requesting information but am still to receive a response. I'll give Millennium Security an email to explain the situation and hopefully, they accept a settlement. Would this process be the same as #2 if they do consent?

A letter has arrived today from BWLegal that County Court Bailiffs are being considered, through warrant of control, if no action is taken by the 4th. Brilliant! I'm an idiot!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Jan 20, 10:05 AM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 9,072 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:05 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:05 AM
    You don't want just a settlement, you want, as C-m advised, a set-aside by consent. This removes the set-aside from your credit record; just settling it leaves it marked as satisfied and your credit record is trashed for 6 years.

And you are not an idiot; an idiot would be someone who continued to ignore, you are at least doing something!
    Last edited by Le_Kirk; 14-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Jan 20, 10:20 AM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 17,339 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:20 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:20 AM
    Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 14th Jan 20, 10:23 AM
    • 6,253 Posts
    • 8,277 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:23 AM
    Settlements are usually befor they havea judgement sayng you owe them X. Theyre unlikely to accept less than X now to "settle" the matter

If you pay them, the judgement is marked "satisfied" but STAYS ON YOUR RECORD FOR 6 YEARS

The ONLY way to remove this is by a set-aside. Either WITH the claimants consent or WITHOUT.

You have a duty to act promptly. If you take too long deciing, you lose hte chance.
    • ck11zws
    • By ck11zws 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ck11zws
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    Hi all, I thoroughly appreciate the responses, they have been brilliant. I did read the sticky thread prior to posting, however I couldn't make the grounds that I had moved house, as I did not nor do I have proof of living elsewhere.

I have emailed Millennium today and apologised for allowing the situation to get this far and if they would consent to a set aside, through settlement of the balance. It's not something I can particularly afford (Student), however, I accept the consequences of my ill-informed decisions.

I will update with their reply.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    • 26,583 Posts
    • 43,669 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    Have you checked your credit record to confirm whether you have a current CCJ issued against your name? That's the first thing to do, not explaining or apologising to any scammer!

Your credit record will likely be more definitive than any of the guesswork/supposition you've posted here.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 20, 3:33 AM
    • 80,679 Posts
    • 95,217 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I have emailed Millennium today and apologised
    You did whaaat?!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,256Posts Today

7,484Users online

Martin's Twitter