Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brand0
    • By Brand0 13th Jan 20, 11:26 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Brand0
    Car dealer backs out of deal after I paid deposit
    • 13th Jan 20, 11:26 PM
    Car dealer backs out of deal after I paid deposit 13th Jan 20 at 11:26 PM
    Hi all

I agreed a price on a car with a proper BMW dealer and paid deposit on Sunday.

Monday I get a call to say the car went to the workshop for a final checkover and they found it needed work that was too expensive for them to fix so they were removing it from sale. They say it will be auctioned.

It all happened so quick and I managed to give them my card details to credit the 1000 back.

Now the dust has settled, I'm thinking my consumer rights have been violated somehow. The whole point of getting a car from a main dealer is so I know the car will be tip-top with a decent warrantee.

So I feel I should challenge. Any thoughts? The car and spec took me ages to find so it's really put me out - especially as I managed to find two after searching for months (the other one was being held for me until I told them I'd paid the deposit..)

I'd appreciate views. I know I should just move on but still.
Page 4
    • Guesses
    • By Guesses 15th Jan 20, 12:08 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Guesses
    And your evidence for your rant? Beware of assumptions...
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Without assumptions, you're simply taking what you've been told as the truth.

And you should never, ever automatically believe any words that come out of the mouth of a car salesman.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jan 20, 1:43 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Without assumptions, you're simply taking what you've been told as the truth.

And you should never, ever automatically believe any words that come out of the mouth of a car salesman.
    Originally posted by Guesses
    Fairly simple for the OP to try and check the story. If I were the dealer trying to pull a fast one, I wouldn't choose the water damage write off story. And if I were the OP I would be mighty relieved I dodged a bullet on it.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th Jan 20, 1:45 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    almillar and AdrianC - given how man 'thanks' you got, I'll put it down to being a bad day for you both.
    I'm not sure how to respond to that. We've now found out that the car has been dunked in water - NOW do you still want it?!!

Anyway, the short version is he offered a goodwill 7.5% credit against any other car from their 'group' (about 8-900 given my range) and that will stand until 14 February.
    A fair result. You were demanding the car be repaired, without knowing what was necessary.

Only petrolheads get it.
    It sounds like it's had sewage flowing through it. I, personally, wouldn't want it. How much do you expect the dealership/BMW to spend on a car, to sell it?

Drive a Beemer with big engine and lots of power - there's no turning back. A wet roundabout on a clear night is like the holy grail.
    Oh goodness! There's no turning back from a 3 series estate! Great all round car maybe, but catch yourself on! (I've had 2 6 cylinder 3 series coupes. There is more fun to be had!)

For real power and excitement you want a Wankel
    Round engined revvy rejoicing.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 15th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 4,711 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    bengalknights
    I guess if the OP still wants the car then just buy it at the newly discounted rate from Copart and carry out the repairs using the money saved buying from the dealer.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 16th Jan 20, 1:33 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I guess if the OP still wants the car then just buy it at the newly discounted rate from Copart and carry out the repairs using the money saved buying from the dealer.
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    He won't be able to hold anyone responsible for it then, though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter