Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • petaQ
    • By petaQ 13th Jan 20, 8:47 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    petaQ
    Notifying Plusnet if I change supplier
    • 13th Jan 20, 8:47 PM
    Notifying Plusnet if I change supplier 13th Jan 20 at 8:47 PM
    I had a fault on my line and during the tech support calls to Plusnet to get that fixed I was told I was out of contract. I apparently couldn't get a new router to replace my 10 year old fossil without a new contract, if you believe that. Tentatively agreed to a new deal for fibre but have found cheaper deals elsewhere and may well be leaving to Sky, who I am told can effect a line takeover since they operate through Openreach network.

If I switch to Sky do I still need to give formal notice to PN of cancellation of this new contract within the 14 day cooling off period to avoid fees and strife?
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 13th Jan 20, 9:00 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:00 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:00 PM
    The new supplier should do it all, but personally I'd ask Plusnet to cancel the new deal but not cancel the contract, ie to put you back as you were.
    I wouldn't let lack of a new router be a deal breaker. I'm using a second hand BT smart hub with Plusnet - instructions from the Plusnet forums, and less than 10 for the router on ebay
    Having had a few suppliers over the years, I have found Plusnet service amongst the best, and for me, worth a couple of quid a month over the stress of having ti deal with, say, TalkTalk
    • petaQ
    • By petaQ 13th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petaQ
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    The lack of a router is more just bad management on their part, no part in the switch I was speaking to Sky about our tv and got offered a faster fibre service for a cheaper price, so that and the better scores for customer service swung me really. I wasn't clear earlier but when I accepted the new deal PN sent a new router (still in its packaging unopened) which I'd have to send back if I change, so I guess the best course would be to let Sky start their business then inform PN and ask about the router after that at the same time.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 14th Jan 20, 7:54 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:54 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:54 AM
    I think if you're cancelling the new contract under the 14 day cooling off period and going back to rolling monthly internet you need to do that yourself. Otherwise Plusnet are likely to refuse to release your line to Sky or charge an early termination fee as you are under contract.
    • petaQ
    • By petaQ 14th Jan 20, 8:06 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petaQ
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:06 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:06 AM
    @Lammy82 thankyou, great to get confirmation that this is what I need to do!
    • petaQ
    • By petaQ 14th Jan 20, 9:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petaQ
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:23 AM
    After phoning PN they offered to match the price quoted by Sky. I asked them to cancel the new contract I had signed up for on the 3rd but to not cease service, but the gentleman did not really acknowledge this. He then confused me a little by saying that if I let Sky do a line takeover, I would be charged for leaving contract, and that I must "phone to manually cancel". My feeling is he was doing this to try to get me to agree to the cheaper deal. Sky had explicitly told me NOT to cancel with PN presumably because it would create a cease of service and/or other legwork for them.

Edited: my account with PN has a note "customer has cancelled within 14 day period - if he gives us notice of account cancellation waive all charges." so my understanding is that my fibre contract is considered cancelled, and that he was referring to cancelling the account to transfer to a new provider. Can anyone please help me clarify the correct order of actions to switch here to prevent any costs?
    Last edited by petaQ; 14-01-2020 at 9:41 AM. Reason: Extra info
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Jan 20, 9:43 AM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:43 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:43 AM
    After phoning PN they offered to match the price quoted by Sky. I asked them to cancel the new contract I had signed up for on the 3rd but to not cease service, but the gentleman did not really acknowledge this. He then confused me a little by saying that if I let Sky do a line takeover, I would be charged for leaving contract, and that I must "phone to manually cancel". My feeling is he was doing this to try to get me to agree to the cheaper deal. Sky had explicitly told me NOT to cancel with PN presumably because it would create a cease of service and/or other legwork for them. Can anyone please help me with the correct order of actions to switch here to prevent any costs?
    Originally posted by petaQ
    Your posts are all over the place but you don't say anywhere that you've signed up with Sky. If not then what's the problem? PN have sent you a new router and they've matched prices with Sky have they not?
    • petaQ
    • By petaQ 14th Jan 20, 9:47 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petaQ
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:47 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:47 AM
    Sorry it's unclear Basically I want to switch to Sky but each company has given me opposite advice about it; Sky told me not to cancel and that they would do the work, now PN say I must cancel with them first to avoid charges, and I'm unsure which is correct given that the sales rep for PN was ambiguous about whether he'd acknowledged my cancellation of the new fibre order with them.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 14th Jan 20, 11:56 AM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    Castle
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:56 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:56 AM
    Read the "Your initial 14 day cancellation period":
    https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cancellation-policy/
    • darkeyes
    • By darkeyes 14th Jan 20, 1:30 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    darkeyes
    Sorry it's unclear Basically I want to switch to Sky but each company has given me opposite advice about it; Sky told me not to cancel and that they would do the work, now PN say I must cancel with them first to avoid charges, and I'm unsure which is correct given that the sales rep for PN was ambiguous about whether he'd acknowledged my cancellation of the new fibre order with them.
    Originally posted by petaQ

You would need to cancel the new contract, under the 14-day cooling off period.

Do not cancel (or 'cease') the service, as Sky can only take over a working line. If the line is ceased, Sky will need to order a new line, costing you around 5-7 working days without service.

So, your options are:
    1. Call Plusnet and accept their new deal with a contract and new router. Then call Sky and ask them not to take over (otherwise as you're newly in-contract with Plusnet, you'll be subject to Early Termination fees).

2. Call Plusnet and say you want to cancel the contract but remain on a rolling contract. Then allow Sky to process the takeover.

• petaQ
    • By petaQ 15th Jan 20, 11:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petaQ
    All done now! Turns out that salesperson the other day was trying to lure me to call back to accept his deal; was just told by another guy just now at PN that I didn't need to phone back and "manually cancel" for the main account or any guff and Sky will do the switching, and that's after I gently massaged the guy for another 3 a month off. Thanks for the support guys!
    • Bridsteph
    • By Bridsteph 17th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bridsteph
    Notifying Plusnet if I change supplier
    You were lucky to get the good contact at Plusnet. I've had lousy service from them in the last few days - been cut off and then got a really rude agent who couldn't have cared less whether I stay with them or not. Always thought Plusnet customer service was the best - but no more - I'm switching - might try Vodaphone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter