Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 13th Jan 20, 8:19 PM
    • 2,916Posts
    • 2,596Thanks
    MEM62
    Sky+ Box - Preventing recording
    • 13th Jan 20, 8:19 PM
    Sky+ Box - Preventing recording 13th Jan 20 at 8:19 PM
    My OHs son is monopolising the Sky+ box. He records hours and hours of TV shows preventing us from doing so as the records either clash with our or the memory is full. Is there any way that I can prevent him from recording - perhaps by requiring a pin or similar?
Page 2
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jan 20, 2:43 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    The way Sky+ works is that it will not stop you recording channels that you don't subscribe to, so while you can record from (say) BT Sport or AMC from BT (when it was on Sky), you won't be able to play it back unless you have the appropriate subscription. Same applies with HD channels.

Sky boxes only check you have the appropriate subscription and then decrypt on playback, not on recording - the only check on recording is that you have an appropriate subscription to do that, not whether you can watch it later.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Don't those two paragraphs contradict each other? Did you miss something out or am I misreading it?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    In a nutshell:
    Sky+HD: Record what you like when you like, doesn't matter what subscription you have, you can record it.

When you want to watch it back, you need an appropriate subscription for the channel you recorded from.

So if you don't have Sky Cinema for example you could record Moana from Sky Cinema Disney, but you won't be able to watch it. You'd have to take Sky Cinema to "unlock" the recording.

Because of the way Sky+ and Sky Q works, the signals are already encrypted when they come from the satellite, all the box does is record them directly to the hard drive in that state.

So to take the same example again, you record Moana from Sky Cinema Disney, the box records the appropriate stream and data to the hard drive and it sits there in your planner.

But when you come to play Moana, the software will check through the viewing card that you have an appropriate subscription, and when you do that's when decryption takes place as it plays. The original recording file remains encrypted on the hard drive.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 2:42 PM
    • 25,356 Posts
    • 14,798 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Sky Q will mean
    a. a larger capacity box
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    All that the separate Sky Q minibox will do is allow remote access to the main box, it doesn't allow extra storage
    Originally posted by googler
    Sky Q (2 TB) is the way to go. The HD+ box is too limiting for a enthusiastic Sky addicted family member!
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Posters saying SkyQ automatically offers more storage are simply wrong.

Two 2TB Sky+HD decoders used with a Multi-room subscription can easily double the hard drive capacity of even the 2TB Sky Q.

As to the Op's "dilemma", I'd be implementing Parental Control on the main decoder and subscribing to Multi Room to allow for her son's predilection for recording anything and everything....
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 15-01-2020 at 2:56 PM.
    • Belenus
    • By Belenus 16th Jan 20, 12:15 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Belenus
    As far as I am aware Sky no longer offer new Multi-room subscriptions for Sky+.

They now only offer it with Sky Q.

I may be wrong.
    I can't believe I was arrested for impersonating a politician!

I was just sitting there doing nothing!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jan 20, 4:30 PM
    • 25,356 Posts
    • 14,798 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    As far as I am aware Sky no longer offer new Multi-room subscriptions for Sky+.

They now only offer it with Sky Q.

Originally posted by Belenus
    Brand new customers don't get any choice; it's Sky Q.

However, a current customer with existing Sky+ equipment can certainly still request a Multi-Room subscription, though Sky would not provide any additional equipment and would doubtless attempt to push them into instead upgrading to Sky Q.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 14,022 Posts
    • 17,610 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Replace the "family" remote control with a universal remote that does not have the necessary buttons for recording on it. Then keep the original remote for your personal use.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 16th Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    • 5,410 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Opp there is a way out of this. Buy a Humax sat box, run two extra leads from the LNB, it probably has spare outlets and use the humax box for your recordings. You won't get all the channels but there are plenty of free ones to choose from.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 17th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 3,186 Thanks
    Sharon87
    Brand new customers don't get any choice; it's Sky Q.

However, a current customer with existing Sky+ equipment can certainly still request a Multi-Room subscription, though Sky would not provide any additional equipment and would doubtless attempt to push them into instead upgrading to Sky Q.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Actually I tried to do that and they wouldn't allow it. They simply don't do multiroom anymore, as we would have had to get a 2nd box, which they don't make anymore. If you have 2 boxes already they may be able to rig it up.

Sky Q is all they do now for new subscribers/new multi room
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Actually I tried to do that and they wouldn't allow it. They simply don't do multiroom anymore, as we would have had to get a 2nd box, which they don't make anymore. If you have 2 boxes already they may be able to rig it up.

Sky Q is all they do now for new subscribers/new multi room
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    You can buy a 2nd hand HD+ box for a tenner or even get one for free from the online recycling website whose name I've totally forgotten

Edit: https://www.freecycle.org/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,341Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter