Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 13th Jan 20, 6:22 PM
    • 1,099Posts
    • 2,430Thanks
    crv1963
    Choice of providers for pension saving using salary sacrifice.
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:22 PM
    Choice of providers for pension saving using salary sacrifice. 13th Jan 20 at 6:22 PM
    Background-

I have been giving serious consideration to taking my DB NHS Pension and then as I do not wish to stop working yet signing up with an agency to work in a similar post to my current one.

I have passed the NRA for my NHS Pension of 55 as this year I will be 57. I could work a further year and reach the maximum possible pension of 45/80 of final salary- but that may not be as beneficial to us as my taking the NHS Pension and starting to work agency and paying into a DC Pension.

My thinking is work 3 years agency- have my agency wage, my NHS pension and Mrs CRV wage as income for the 3 years in effect three salaries coming in. We could use the NHS Pension to fund our living costs, use the agency income to increase Mrs CRV SIPP to the equivilent of her take home pay and use the rest ongoing preparations for retirement- almost there with our home improvement savings and general savings fund.

The fly in the ointment is that agency income and NHS Pension would push me firmly into HR tax bracket. One way round this is to salary sacrifice into auto enrollment pension provided by the Umbrella company. IR35 rules means limited company is not an option.

The question- which would be better to SS into Aegon or Nest? Mrs CRV workplace pension is NEST and I think I'll be led towards Aegon but having looked at their websites I'm not sure which will be a better provider for me.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 13th Jan 20, 7:26 PM
    • 9,793 Posts
    • 17,915 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 13th Jan 20, 7:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 7:26 PM

The question- which would be better to SS into Aegon or Nest? Mrs CRV workplace pension is NEST and I think I'll be led towards Aegon but having looked at their websites I'm not sure which will be a better provider for me.
    Originally posted by crv1963
    Which of the two has the choice of investments and cost structure that you prefer for your objectives?
    • cfw1994
    • By cfw1994 13th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    cfw1994
    • 13th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    I swear you were talking about retiring sooner than that: you sure youíre not being sucked into the OMY syndrome?

(sorry, no useful input for you, but have a bump on the thread from me!)
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 13th Jan 20, 11:11 PM
    • 4,742 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 13th Jan 20, 11:11 PM
    Sorry, but which organisation offers Salary Sacrifice?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 13th Jan 20, 11:11 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Marcon
    Have you checked with the umbrella company you plan to use whether salary sacrifice is possible and if so, whether they will go with your choice of provider?

If you are a higher rate taxpayer you can claim higher rate tax relief on pension contributions (to the extent that you've paid it) via your tax return or direct from HMRC.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 14th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 2,430 Thanks
    crv1963
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    Thank you all for your replies-

bowlhead99 Aegon costs to purchase funds variable ongoing fee 0.5%, NEST initial fee 1.8% then ongoing fee 0.3%, choice of funds I'm still working my way through.

cfw1994 I definately do not want to get sucked into the one more year syndrome! Once we go I don't want either of us forced back into the workplace. I do however enjoy mostly what I do for a living like every job it has its bad moments too!

I wanted to retire completely May or June this year, but we sat and worked our real expenditure/ costs out yesterday and I have been working on two false lines i) what we actually spend and ii) what our savings will support in retirement. I underestimated spending and overestimated what our savings will support.

To go before SPA our revised figures are-

2k pm 24k pa= basic retirement (about 33% of current joint income)
    3k pm 36k pa= comfortable retirement (around 50% of Joint income)
    4k+ pm 48k+ pa= luxury retirement (around 66% of joint income)

All after income tax figures.

With a 60k savings reserve in case of a big market drop during drawdown and a 40k savings for large expenses over a 30-40 year period (possibly that needs increasing but we will also probably save with the two larger annual figures for holidays and cars).

cloud_dog The Umbrella Company I am thinking of joining has from this month started offering salary sacrifice, for me having already reached 42/80ths NHS Pension and over NRA it appears to make sense to retire and return as agency, so benefiting from two incomes as opposed to working a futher 18 months to reach the maximum 45/80ths. SS down to BR tax level makes the most sense I think.

I can then build a new DC Pot to drawdown at the same income level as my SP would be at age 67 so having a constant income level throughout retirement.

Macron The Umbrella Company offers either Aegon or Nest both as SS, so it boils down to choice of provider/ funds. I have booked a telephone appointment with an IFA tomorrow to discuss provider/ fund choices.

I appreciate we're fortunate but having discussed our expenses it is clear that although it is possible to retire this year it doesn't give us much in the way of lifestyle, our dogs alone cost us around 6k pa and although I know over the next 10 years they will pass on the reality is work with what you have now.

I guess the lesson to learn is if you divorce in your late 40s then you either increase your savings rate or you work longer or both. An observation not a complaint. Each of us has to work with what we have and make choices that suit our needs and wishes- hoping that with a bit of planning it all comes together in good time.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 14th Jan 20, 6:57 PM
    • 4,742 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:57 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:57 PM
    I appreciate we're fortunate but having discussed our expenses it is clear that although it is possible to retire this year it doesn't give us much in the way of lifestyle, our dogs alone cost us around 6k pa and although I know over the next 10 years they will pass on the reality is work with what you have now.
    Have you considered different dogs
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 14th Jan 20, 8:19 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 2,430 Thanks
    crv1963
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:19 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:19 PM
    Have you considered different dogs
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    No choice of dogs is made and the option to choose a different one is currently closed. Have to take the rough with the smooth, ongoing costs this high have meant that I'll have to accept retirement this year is not an option.

Vet bills do make you appreciate the NHS if there is a long term condition such as diabetes or critical condition such as cancer.

But I do appreciate your humour!
    • cfw1994
    • By cfw1994 14th Jan 20, 10:16 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    cfw1994
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:16 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:16 PM
    & hereís me, half considering a retirement puppy after decades of no critters.....I might need to rethink that 😂

Good luck, at least it sounds like your deliberations are....deliberate, & considered
    I *know* our (my!) spending is above where I know it could (& should) be....but nonetheless, decisions need to be made here, canít put things off forever
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter