Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dazzlin
    • By dazzlin 13th Jan 20, 5:50 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 8Thanks
    dazzlin
    Halifax Clarity card
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:50 PM
    Halifax Clarity card 13th Jan 20 at 5:50 PM
    Looks like they are changing their Ts & Cs and introducing a charge on all non sterling purchases. Guess I'll be closing my account as that's the main reason I've had this card all these years.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 35,915 Posts
    • 42,068 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    Have the letter in front of me

No change to charges for purchases in any currency all show "N/A"

Unless you got a different letter
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dazzlin
    • By dazzlin 13th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dazzlin
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    Hmmm. With my pessimistic nature I may have assumed the worst. The letter says N/A for cash transaction fee (any currency) and N/A for non-sterling transaction fee (any non-sterling transaction, including cash withdrawals) .... is that right today - no charges for foreign cash withdrawals? Will have to check some old statements.
    I was looking at the accompanying booklet - B5. Fees and charges ... but that might just be explaining what a non-sterling transaction purchase fee is, rather than saying the card will actually start incurring them. Might have to ping them to confirm it.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 13th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    adindas
    • 13th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    Hmmm. With my pessimistic nature I may have assumed the worst. The letter says N/A for cash transaction fee (any currency) and N/A for non-sterling transaction fee (any non-sterling transaction, including cash withdrawals) .... is that right today - no charges for foreign cash withdrawals? Will have to check some old statements.
    I was looking at the accompanying booklet - B5. Fees and charges ... but that might just be explaining what a non-sterling transaction purchase fee is, rather than saying the card will actually start incurring them. Might have to ping them to confirm it.
    Originally posted by dazzlin
    Non sterling transaction is still free based on here.
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

We don't charge fees when you spend abroad.
    We don't charge fees to withdraw cash with your Halifax Clarity credit card
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 14th Jan 20, 1:37 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:37 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:37 PM
    Why would they remove the USP of the card in the first place (and something they proudly extol on the card's page)?

If that was the case they may as well transfer you to a different product.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
    • Hagman
    • By Hagman 14th Jan 20, 8:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hagman
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:25 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:25 PM
    So - no changes in respect of using Clarity abroad for ATM transactions and/or paying for goods services ?
    • JLOFRO
    • By JLOFRO 15th Jan 20, 11:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JLOFRO
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:22 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:22 AM
    I posted another thread with exactly this same query and concern about the small print which seems to contradict the messaging elsewhere! Glad it's not just me
    • kl9952
    • By kl9952 15th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kl9952
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    I also noticed that and had a "Chat" with them, they say those Terms and Conditions section B2.2 and section B5 is "default information" and doesn’t apply to the Clarity card.
    • Joe9090
    • By Joe9090 16th Jan 20, 5:34 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Joe9090
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:34 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:34 AM
    Non sterling transaction is still free based on here.
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

We don't charge fees when you spend abroad.
    We don't charge fees to withdraw cash with your Halifax Clarity credit card
    Originally posted by adindas
    Even though you posted this I was still not 100% sure as the new T&C's do not come into effect until 27th February 2020.

I was worried about B2.3 which states they add a non-sterling transaction fee but I now understand this is default information, as the previous post, and anyway is covered by A5.

Who writes these T&C'S ? You have to be a lawyer to understand them!
    • aurigacap
    • By aurigacap 17th Jan 20, 9:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aurigacap
    Charges both for foreign exchange transactions and foreign cash withdrawals
    I checked in branch and they confirmed that from 27 February there will be fees both (NB) for cash withdrawals and other transactions in foreign currency. That is the meaning of the highlighted paragraph in section A5 of the guide to changes in terms and conditions. Forget the N/As in the preceding paragraph and the complete absence of any reference to new foreign exchange fees in the 2 page summary. Burying bad news is the name of the game these days.

This card holder will be winding up his Clarity account, though, of course, there is no guarantee that the few alternatives without foreign exchange fees will remain.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 17th Jan 20, 10:47 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Gerry1
    I checked in branch and they confirmed that from 27 February there will be fees both (NB) for cash withdrawals and other transactions in foreign currency.
    Originally posted by aurigacap
    Looks like your branch may have been confused, not surprising when the Halifax literature is so opaque.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=76732782&postcount=44
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 17th Jan 20, 10:55 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Alexd52
    I also noticed that and had a "Chat" with them, they say those Terms and Conditions section B2.2 and section B5 is "default information" and doesn’t apply to the Clarity card.
    Originally posted by kl9952
    I checked in branch and they confirmed that from 27 February there will be fees both (NB) for cash withdrawals and other transactions in foreign currency. That is the meaning of the highlighted paragraph in section A5 of the guide to changes in terms and conditions. Forget the N/As in the preceding paragraph and the complete absence of any reference to new foreign exchange fees in the 2 page summary. Burying bad news is the name of the game these days.

This card holder will be winding up his Clarity account, though, of course, there is no guarantee that the few alternatives without foreign exchange fees will remain.
    Originally posted by aurigacap

aurigacap, please see quoted post above yours, there are also others that have confirmed that the clarity card will continue with no no sterling transaction fees, all is still good
    • aurigacap
    • By aurigacap 17th Jan 20, 1:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aurigacap
    I stand corrected.... and am relieved. I have posted a more fulsome apology in the thread on Halifax exchange rates, where I quote the provisions of the Credit Card Agreement which prompted my earlier, erroneous contribution. Ill - informed Branch staff merely confirmed my unfounded suspicions.
    • tgon
    • By tgon 17th Jan 20, 4:25 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    tgon
    My first read of the new T&C’s immediately saw a new foreign purchase transaction fee. Read the booklet section which didn’t seem to make it clear or implicit, to me anyway. Halifax sources have different understandings. Then read mixed views here.

Transaction fee on foreign currency purchases or ATM cash withdrawals? Must be either yes or no, surely.
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 19th Jan 20, 8:09 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 6,689 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    I too have read the letter and leaflets and been utterly baffled. Why say there isn't a fee (N/A) and then say you could incur both those (N/A) fees on one transaction??
    Erratically money saving
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 20th Jan 20, 8:13 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    Takmon
    I too have read the letter and leaflets and been utterly baffled. Why say there isn't a fee (N/A) and then say you could incur both those (N/A) fees on one transaction??
    Originally posted by carolinerunner
    I really don't see why people are finding this so confusing? If you use it aboard there is a foreign transaction fee but that fee happens to be zero.

It's no different when you get a credit card with a 0% interest offer. The credit agreement will say that the balance will incur interest but the rate of interest is 0%.
    • tgon
    • By tgon 20th Jan 20, 11:34 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    tgon
    I really don't see why people are finding this so confusing? If you use it aboard there is a foreign transaction fee but that fee happens to be zero.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    I cant find anywhere, letter or booklet, that the foreign transaction fee is zero. In section A5 of the letter, non-sterling transactions is "N/A" but a highlighted box underneath it states "a single transaction may attract more than one fee. For example, for a cash withdrawal in a foreign currency we charge a cash transaction fee and a non-sterling transaction fee."

This seems to imply an added transaction "charge" and contradicts "Not Applicable". Section B2.3 is mainly about exchange rates but reconfirms an added fee (in bold text) and redirects back to A5. What the cost that fee is not stated.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 20th Jan 20, 1:44 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Credit where credit is due... (no pun intentended) , but a compliment follows below.

Initially, and like Caroline and others who said...
    Originally posted by carolinerunner
    ...I too thought this a particularly inept and unneccesarily complicated way to communicate with customers. As I said on the other MSE thread at

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76725454#post76725454

"A letter and two lengthy annexes with triple cross-referencing confuse me... On balance, I think it's still a cost effective way to pay holiday and currency bills? But it's ironic that they call it a "Clarity Card"!

Maybe they've never heard of the Plain English Campaign or Crystal Mark for written communication"
    ;
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/services/crystal-mark.html

I also used their online feedback form... and

Hey Presto! I got a text and then a phonecall from a charming woman in Halifax's Dunfermline office, called Charlene Coutts (good name for a banker. eh?) to assure me that all complaints were taken seriously, and summarised up to Board level. And I hadn't really complained.

So ten out of ten for customer care. I wish all financial providers were as responsive. Reminds me of when the Grand daughter complained about a rare instance of poor service and a staff training gap in one of their branches; and got a noce apology and a £50 compensation bung!

So thanks Halifax.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 20th Jan 20, 2:06 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    Takmon
    I cant find anywhere, letter or booklet, that the foreign transaction fee is zero. In section A5 of the letter, non-sterling transactions is "N/A" but a highlighted box underneath it states "a single transaction may attract more than one fee. For example, for a cash withdrawal in a foreign currency we charge a cash transaction fee and a non-sterling transaction fee."

This seems to imply an added transaction "charge" and contradicts "Not Applicable". Section B2.3 is mainly about exchange rates but reconfirms an added fee (in bold text) and redirects back to A5. What the cost that fee is not stated.
    Originally posted by tgon
    Yea the fee isn't applicable so if it doesn't apply then it must be zero.

But you seem to think they would charge a fee but not specify what it was?. If that happened then would have to refund everyone anyone once the complaints started to come in.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 20th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Gerry1
    "A letter and two lengthy annexes with triple cross-referencing confuse me... On balance, I think it's still a cost effective way to pay holiday and currency bills? But it's ironic that they call it a "Clarity Card"!

Maybe they've never heard of the Plain English Campaign or Crystal Mark for written communication"
    ;
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/services/crystal-mark.html
    Originally posted by AlexMac
    The Halifax gobbledygook claims to be a Winning Document approved by the Plain English Commission ! I wonder what a Losing Document would look like ?

It sounds very official, but far from being a government organisation it turns out to be just a moniker used by a commercial company, clearest.co.uk

The real Plain English Campaign would never approve the absolute nonsense that Halifax is putting out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,330Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter