Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Woolington
    • By Woolington 13th Jan 20, 5:17 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Woolington
    Hoover Tumble Dryer melting clothes
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:17 PM
    Hoover Tumble Dryer melting clothes 13th Jan 20 at 5:17 PM
    Hi all,
    we bought a Hoover VTC590B Reverse Action. Solid Door tumble dryer in Sept 2019. It immediately began to melt holes in various items of clothing. We reported this to the seller Nov 2019 who said that we were using in incorrectly and to turn the heat onto its lowest and not overfill the machine (which we weren't)

We followed these instructions but it continued to melt certain items - fleeces and dressing gowns, but also a lightweight duvet with a cotton exterior which it had melted from the inside and we could no longer tumble dry these items.

We took the machine back in before Christmas Dec 2019 and complained, they said they'd test it but took several weeks by which time we'd bought another one. They said they found nothing wrong but would get a Hoover engineer to inspect it.

The Hoover engineer also says there's nothing wrong with it, we're putting the 'wrong clothes' in it - both dressing gowns have tumble dryer safe logos on them (M&S and Tesco so not cheapies)

I've taken advice from Trading Standards and now have to have an independent inspection done on it etc etc. It's all going to get very fiddly and is almost not worth pursuing, if two inspectors have found nothing wrong with the machine and yet the clothing is melted, are there faults that don't show up? The new tumble dryer is just like all my old previous ones - excellent incl dressing gowns and fleeces.

The seller says he'll sell the item in his shop and give us the proceeds!!!!!! I consider it dangerous.
    Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    The seller says he'll sell the item in his shop and give us the proceeds!!!!!! I consider it dangerous.
    Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by Woolington
    Your personal opinion bears little weight against the expert opinions which have so far deemed the product without fault. They are clearly saying it is user error.
    I think you might be wise to accept the seller's offer (or try to sell it yourself) if you want to maximise any return you get on this, although you are certainly within your rights to pay for additional independent inspections.

Have you been putting the same clothes in your new dryer (on a similar setting) without them "melting"?
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 13-01-2020 at 5:32 PM.
    • Woolington
    • By Woolington 13th Jan 20, 5:36 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Woolington
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:36 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:36 PM
    Have you been putting the same clothes in your new dryer (on a similar setting) without them "melting"? yes! not only are they nicely dried but they're fluffy and soft - the old one didn't do this.

I consider it dangerous.

I used to have to set the alarm on my phone to keep checking it hadn't got too hot. It also used to turn itself on in the night time. I'd hate to think of somebody else having it in their home.

Last edited by Woolington; 13-01-2020 at 5:37 PM. Reason: removing bold in the wrong place
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    I'd hate to think of somebody else having it in their home.
    So pay for the two independent inspections (as advised by Trading Standards) and hope they agree with you.

(and please learn how to use the "quote"function)
    • Woolington
    • By Woolington 13th Jan 20, 5:53 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Woolington
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:53 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:53 PM
    Blimey! that's a rather rude response! I'll leave the thread up in case anybody else has trouble with this particular model.

Believe me, I was only tumbling a very few items in the end, including the tumble dryer friendly dressing gowns - same melting - not burning or scorching, melting as though you'd left an iron on them for too long.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jan 20, 6:01 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:01 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:01 PM
    Believe me, I was only tumbling a very few items in the end, including the tumble dryer friendly dressing gowns - same melting - not burning or scorching, melting as though you'd left an iron on them for too long.
    So, as I said, pay for the two additional independent inspections.
    I don't see how this is "rude"?
    Blunt perhaps?
    (But do please learn how to use the "quote" function, you've been a user here for several years already)
    • born again
    • By born again 13th Jan 20, 6:31 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    born again
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:31 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:31 PM
    Lightweight duvet with a cotton exterior which it had melted from the inside
    What difference does a cotton exterior make if the inside is not tumble dry-able....

12 programs on a dryer.... No bad reviews on model.
    Ours has High & low heat and a timer. Works a treat.

If seller & 2 independent people have checked it and found no fault. Then you only have limited options. Bin it or sell it.... But if you feel its dangerous. Do you want that on your mind.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 13th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 7,845 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    I believe you.
    I have had enough of these stupid dangerous machines.
    I have got rid.
    I Now dry on a clothes airer, well ventilated of course.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    I Now dry on a clothes airer, well ventilated of course.
    Originally posted by Blackpool_Saver
    I use a clothes line in the garden...
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th Jan 20, 6:58 PM
    • 3,788 Posts
    • 7,463 Thanks
    coffeehound
    It does sound wrong that a modern machine with a humidity detector set on low temperature would get hot enough and dry enough to melt plastics.

Think in your position I'd take up the supplier's offer and cut your losses.
    • Carltonbp
    • By Carltonbp 14th Jan 20, 1:02 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Carltonbp
    I have a hoover integrated heat pump (it's not yet got a kitchen door on it) and it's fine. I put everything in as I have a small house, straight from washing machine to dryer. I think the programme names are not very good though, synthetics is actually for delicates, whites is for cotton. I assume darks sits between these two in terms of temp which I use for things like jumpers, tops (I don't have woollen ones). I assume the cotton one is the hottest and I have had the odd synthetic item sneak in and no melting at all. My Dad has a hoover condenser about 2 years old and again no melting. Both have sensors so that it turns off before the timer runs it's course if already dry. I don't see how melting can be the op's fault. But it sounds like Hoover/retailer are digging their heels in.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Jan 20, 1:08 PM
    • 13,197 Posts
    • 29,742 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Even in the winter?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jan 20, 1:23 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Even in the winter?
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Yes, even now..
    However did we cope before electric dryers were available?

When I have had cause to use a dryer, I've found my clothes are the worse for it.
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 14th Jan 20, 1:31 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    tonycottee
    I find that mine don't dry too well when it's raining.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 14th Jan 20, 1:36 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 2,829 Thanks
    baza52
    Yes, even now..
    However did we cope before electric dryers were available?

When I have had cause to use a dryer, I've found my clothes are the worse for it.
    do you still handwash you're clothes in a stream as washing machines were not always around either
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jan 20, 1:57 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    do you still handwash you're clothes in a stream as washing machines were not always around either
    Originally posted by baza52
    I'm not that bad, I simply allow the Housekeeper to use a large Dolly in the Kitchen
    I find that mine don't dry too well when it's raining.
    Originally posted by tonycottee
    Seriously? It doesn't rain every day, even in Winter
    Clothes do take a lot longer to dry in Winter (due to the humidity and cooler temperatures), but we've managed up to now without ever investing in a dryer.

This is a Money Saving Site after all.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Jan 20, 10:09 AM
    • 9,609 Posts
    • 14,049 Thanks
    meer53
    I have a washer dryer, never use the dryer as it takes forever unless you're drying small stuff. I've never hankered after a stand alone dryer as I also love pegging washing out to dry whenever I can. I use an airer.

The only time I ever think I would like a tumble dryer is when we go to the US, those huge American dryers are fab, if I had the room i'd buy one of those, I once had 4 lots of king size bedding washed and dried by lunch time !
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 15th Jan 20, 11:16 AM
    • 13,768 Posts
    • 23,405 Thanks
    pulliptears
    I have a hoover dryer. 99% of the time it's ok but very occasionally the clothes are too hot to hold at the end of a cycle. It's very random, and thankfully hasn't damaged anything but it is a bit baffling.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 15th Jan 20, 12:48 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 7,845 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    I spoke to a very active service engineer yesterday, and was told that even after the infamous modification, dryers are still able to get a lot of fluff round the element and the obvious risk of fire. He advises extreme caution and monitoring of these machines. Any extreme uncontrollable heat is likely a problem which needs looking at.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 15th Jan 20, 1:35 PM
    • 13,768 Posts
    • 23,405 Thanks
    pulliptears
    I spoke to a very active service engineer yesterday, and was told that even after the infamous modification, dryers are still able to get a lot of fluff round the element and the obvious risk of fire. He advises extreme caution and monitoring of these machines. Any extreme uncontrollable heat is likely a problem which needs looking at.
    Originally posted by Blackpool_Saver
    Indeed. I'm incredibly paranoid about the whole thing and empty the lint trap every time (I collect it for the birds nest box) and even vacuum inside the gaps.
    I never leave it unattended either.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,817Users online

Martin's Twitter