Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GrumpyWithMoney
    • By GrumpyWithMoney 13th Jan 20, 11:01 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 13Thanks
    GrumpyWithMoney
    Credit Card Refund Without the Refund
    • 13th Jan 20, 11:01 AM
    Credit Card Refund Without the Refund 13th Jan 20 at 11:01 AM
    Can someone explain to me how a retailer can issue you with a credit card refund receipt (using a credit card machine) without the credit card company receiving any notification of a refund?

This has happened to me. I am still waiting for the retailer to notify the credit card company a month after getting the receipt. Also, if the amount is less than 100 what options do I have?
Page 1
    • born again
    • By born again 13th Jan 20, 2:11 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    born again
    • 13th Jan 20, 2:11 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 2:11 PM
    If you have a refund receipt which has date, amount & last 4 of card number. Then contact card provider for a chargeback.
    Non receipt of refund.

How it happens is any ones guess. Could be that staff member did not press last button, could be their processing bank have not processed it.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 13th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    2e0arr
    • 13th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    chances are your CC company customer service will tell you to wait 7 days for it to drop off your transactions. who was the retailer
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Jan 20, 5:34 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,629 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:34 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:34 PM
    chances are your CC company customer service will tell you to wait 7 days for it to drop off your transactions. who was the retailer
    Originally posted by 2e0arr
    What?

As said if you have a valid refund receipt contact the credit card company and advise them that the refund has not been received. They will probably ask you to provide them with a copy of the receipt so that they can verify it. If everything is in order they should then process the refund to your card without difficulty. Not sure of the relevance of the value of the transaction being more or less than 100.
    • born again
    • By born again 13th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    born again
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    Originally posted by 2e0arr

Er just for your information. A credit is unauthorised. As such is not seen till it actually CREDITS the account....

Now if you were referring to a DEBIT you are nearly right.... Its a max of 14 days to drop off.
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 14th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Tragen
    • 14th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    I had the same thing happen with Tandem. I watched the retailer do the refund, unfortunately i lost the receipts. I'm going through the dispute process with them.
    • GrumpyWithMoney
    • By GrumpyWithMoney 15th Jan 20, 11:09 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    GrumpyWithMoney
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:09 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:09 PM
    100 is significant as
    Section 75 laws mean your credit card must protect purchases over 100 for free, so if there's a problem you could get your money back.
    • GrumpyWithMoney
    • By GrumpyWithMoney 15th Jan 20, 11:31 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    GrumpyWithMoney
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:31 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:31 PM
    My main concern is how this situation has occured. I would particularly like to hear from anyone who owns a World Pay card machine as that was the device used.

The retailer used the card machine to process the refund. Having looked at the Worldpay website it seems that the retailer locates the original transaction in a list and issues a refund against it (note it was too late to void the transaction). The terminal must connect for authorisation before a receipt is issued. I am interested to know how the retailer can proceed with a refund in this way and yet the credit card provider is unware (even a month later) of a refund being given. Also whether this can be done accidentally by the retailer. [This may or many not important, but I am not sure if the retailer swiped the card or inserted the card into the reader as he turned his back to me.]

I also want to point out that being issued with a credit card refund receipt seems to be no guarantee of an automatic refund. So I, for one will be careful to check my statements carefully.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 16th Jan 20, 1:52 AM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,629 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 16th Jan 20, 1:52 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 1:52 AM
    I don't see that s75 has anything to do with the problem.
    It is not easy to speculate why exactly this refund was not processed.
    If you have the receipt, follow the advice previously given by me and contact the credit card issuer to advise that the refund has not yet appeared on the card. As I said, they will probably ask you to provide them with a copy of the receipt but if everything about the receipt is OK then they should proceed with the refund with no problem.
    I am actually surprised that you waited a whole month before doing anything.
    I am not sure about the procedure detailed above. The refund should however be uploaded with the day's transactions so can see no real reason why it should be connected at the time of the refund or why any authorisation of the refund should be necessary, You may suspect that the retailer has somehow acted to delay the refund but nothing will ever be proven so forget it and just contact your card issuer and do whatever they ask to expedite the crediting of your credit card account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,341Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter