Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jan 20, 1:13 AM
    • 4,693Posts
    • 30,978Thanks
    allydowd
    What Small DFW Things Will You Do w/c 13th January 2020?
    • 13th Jan 20, 1:13 AM
    What Small DFW Things Will You Do w/c 13th January 2020? 13th Jan 20 at 1:13 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £100
    Free Running Challenge: 14/30
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 2
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 14th Jan 20, 10:14 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    twiggy86
    Morning all!

Had a day off yesterday and was super productive and frugal! Back at work today, so I have/will:
    * Check banks
    * Do foam rolling
    * Make lunch to take to work
    * Switch microwave off at wall
    * Take something out of freezer for dinner (forgot but luckily OH was still at home - hoping he took the right thing out!)
    * Park for free and walk to work
    * Eat OOD cereal with communal milk at work
    * Update spreadsheet with spends
    * Go to gym at lunch
    * Check OP/ PA
    * Check purse/ pockets as think I have a few receipts that need snapping to apps
    * Sort out washing on airer and put away
    * Dinner from stores
    * Wash hair and let dry naturally
    * Do some more crochet

Think that's everything for now. Hope you all have a good day.
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: £13,418.33 Current total: £10,752.84
    One and half debts down, four more to go!
    • TryingAgain2022
    • By TryingAgain2022 14th Jan 20, 10:16 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    TryingAgain2022
    Hi vangirl, good idea on soup I have both broccoli and cheese

Resisting coffee out is my nemesis especially when in the road or cold. Winter is the WORST! I can only do it if the flask is in the way of the door
    Start:Oct 2019: £23,954 -- NOW Virgin £2207 (BOO for loss of Dec income!) Markses £1840 Halifax £6721 Loan £7570 Family loan £5900 TOTAL £23,898 -- Paid off: £-304
    BOO but small steps. Target: Aug 2023 LBM: monthly pay but weekly spend doh
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Jan 20, 6:00 PM
    • 5,972 Posts
    • 47,758 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    to new and returning posters
    Spendy day today as I bit the bullet and ordered a new laptop This old one still works but needs a new battery, a new wireless thingy, in fact keeps getting expensive things wrong with it Got a good deal in the sales, and paid for it from savings, not credit. I will keep this one as it has MS Office installed on it and it is fine as long as you don't want it to do anything other than documents or spreadsheets.
    Also had to renew OH's passport. Sent him off, amid much grumbling to get some photos done. He isn't great at sorting out admin type issues of any kind, but some things he just has to do for himself! I did do the online application for him though. £75.50 spent on that.
    Ordered some non plastic washing up scrubbers from the ebay shop of a friend of a friend. The supermarket scrubby sponges are one plastic item I am finding it hard to give up So happy to give these a shot. They are hand made by a self employed young mum, machine washable and compostable when no longer usable. Hope I like them. £5 spent here.

And on top of that I did the weekly shop. Used £30 of Nectar points that I forgot to use before Christmas, so only parted with £14.05 of actual cash, and that included items for the food bank.
    All spends noted on spreadsheet

Apart from spending:
    Home grown fruit from freezer with breakfast
    RM surveys tasks

Used up an ageing bread crust and some Christmas cheese leftovers to make cheese on toast for lunch

But had to throw away some sourdough bread as it had got completely furry I shan't buy it from that outlet again, as it should have kept better. Anyway, much as I dislike food waste, my loss was the birds' gain.

Took another box of items to my sales unit, as I didn't get much time yesterday. Just as well as I had several gaps where things had sold As I rent the space, it makes sense to keep it filled up rather than paying for empty spaces!
    Did a bit more work on my budgeting spreadsheet - think it is done now!

Dinner will be from the freezer

Hope everyone is having a good day - awful windy, rainy weather here again today!

• ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 14th Jan 20, 6:22 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Well am feeling a bit quiet this week, looks like my EF have mostly survived Christmas with a bit of planning and and a lot of care. My £25 weekly shop from Sunday is doing the job so far so big chili tonight that will last for a few days/freezer.
    I don't like the wind.
    I am grateful for central heating, the lovely man who gets me cover work, and my Mum who's just lovely.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/-£24.095 7% paid off - EF £65.53 Jan 2020
    2020 £1000 EF, get citizenship £1400, run 10 k in 1 hour 10 min
    • Betharooni
    • By Betharooni 14th Jan 20, 7:37 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    Betharooni
    Hi

I would like to join this group if possible. I am currently trying to pay off my last remaining debt-car finance that I currently owe £11,410.94 on. I am due to pay it off at the end of 2021 but want to try and get it paid off by the end of this year instead.

My plans for the rest of today and tomorrow are:

- to make lunch this evening to take in with me tomorrow
    - to prepare some berries for after dinner tonight (and a handful to take into work tomorrow) so they are used before they go off
    - walk to and from work tomorrow rather than being lazy and getting the underground
    - check online banking and update my spending tracker with purchases from last couple of days
    - call docs to chase up blood test form
    - finish updating to-do list

B x
    Originally posted by Betharooni
    Had an ok day today - still need to finish updating my to do list and I only walked one way to work as it was raining when I left work. Am ok with that though. Avoided having takeaway tonight and having an omelette instead.

Plans for tonight/tomorrow are:

- make salad for lunch tomorrow and boil extra egg for my brother’s lunch
    - put some of remaining raspberries and blackberries in pot for my lunch to prevent wastage
    - have rest of remaining raspberries and blackberries for dessert tonight
    - finish updating to-do list
    - walk to and from work tomorrow
    - go to gym tomorrow after work
    - try to do daily to do list on Swagbucks
    - get on with knitting new scarf

Hope everyone’s had a good day today and that you have a lovely moneysaving day tomorrow

B x
    2020 - Banish the Clutter
    Save £15K in 2020 #6 £918.91/£15,000
    Make £2020 in 2020 #11 £2.56/£2,020
    Saving for House Deposit £2,257.50/£40,000
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #300 £53.87/£1,000
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Jan 20, 6:41 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 44,951 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi guys I was surprised to see it's Wednesday already and I haven't been on the thread this week yet!

ally thanks for starting us off today

I woke up at 4am new meds do not contain a sedative. Am feeling better on them so will have to take something to help me sleep tonight...

Not sure what I've done with 2.5 hours tbh!
    * Prepared some pattern templates to take to a sewing lesson I have today at 9.30
    * searched out a pair of baby harem trousers pattern & emailed to oh to print out at work
    * updated journal
    * got out some hg raspberries for snack later

Things for today:

* washing
    * TOMM
    * ferry oh to work - and possibly to collect his car if the stars all align...
    * madam and bff to gymnastics - snacks from home
    * some sewing
    * run while the girls at gymnastics
    * also nip to hardware store near gymnastics to pick up small bit of hardware for bag I am making for dd
    * dinner will be bargainous ys 39p mackerel fillets
    * read newsletter
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
    • debbiedodge1737
    • By debbiedodge1737 15th Jan 20, 7:17 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    debbiedodge1737
    Hello all

Penny Pinching Plans Today :

*Boil kettle once and fill thermos (in cheap energy)
    *Use cheap energy to do dishwasher and washing machine
    *Using up Freezer stores for dinner
    *Pre make Lunch Sandwiches to freeze (Saving time and waste)
    *Turn as much off at plug as possible during day while on own or out
    *Dry clothes on airers
    *List two things to sell
    *Swag Bucks
    *Check Bank Accounts
    *Work out money for the rest of month
    *YS Hunt on way home from school run this morning
    *Try my hand at creating a spread sheet for money

That's about it that is Penny Pinching today I think

I know this sounds a monumental ask, especially as I understand your all busy people too, but if anyone in the know has time could you PM me hints and tips about how you set up your financial spread sheet, as I've never done one ... so basic info please and I would love to use this tool to track everything and see where I am.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    • 5,972 Posts
    • 47,758 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    No rain or wind, at least for the moment Well, that didn't last!
    Hope to be able to walk to the post office later without getting drenched / blowing away. Just - it poured down about a quarter of an hour after I got back
    Other things:
    Usual tidy up, plus clean something and declutter something Not much - did a little bit in the garden between downpours instead - dug up the one remaining (huge ) parsnip which broke the fork handle (now next to the workshop door for OH to fix) and the few remaining leeks, cut back a huge lemon balm, and then the heavens opened again.
    Washed off and trimmed leeks, prepped parsnip. Had some of the parsnip with tonight's roast, rest in fridge. The leeks are in the meat safe waiting to be converted into soup. Didn't want the fridge to smell strongly of leeks.

Home grown fruit from freezer with breakfast Done
    Think of something for dinner - it will be something that I already have! We cooked the enormous YS turkey I bought yesterday morning at the supermarket. I didn't think it would have defrosted so quickly, but it did. We had some tonight as a roast dinner. Used some braised red cabbage that was left over and frozen on Christmas day, and the rest of the cranberry sauce. And roasted potatoes, parsnip and carrots Invited my brother, as I hadn't seen him for a while. I have kept some slices of turkey out for dinner tomorrow, froze the rest of the white meat in slices, the brown meat in chunks and the carcase is in the SC for stock. Made a start at cleaning up grease pit of a kitchen
    Ring DD1 and my brother, using call time I have already paid for on my sim only mobile contract, instead of using expensive landline. Rang brother, but couldn't get DD. Will try again tomorrow.
    Make a batch of scones to take OH's mind off flapjacks, which are far more sugary and fatty (even though I always reduce the sugar in cake / biscuit recipes). Again, I have ll the ingredients. Not done, will do tomorrow
    No intention to spend money, except to send OH's old passport off to the passport office. Perhaps I ought to send it signed for, though perhaps a first class stamp, which I already have, would suffice.... Will think on it! Walked to post office for free exercise, managed to stay dry Picked up packages from sorting office, which were just RM surveys stuff. Put a first class stamp that I already had on the passport envelope, but did stop off at Mr W on the way home and picked up a few YS bits.
    Write and send condolence cards, a friend's mother sadly passed away at Christmas I have the cards already, plus free stamps from RM surveys. Oops must do this in the morning!
    RM surveys tasks Done, now I have another lot to prep
    Check banks, and update spreadsheet if necessary Will have to be tomorrow now.
    Load of washing to hopefully peg outside, as the BBC would have me believe that the weather is improving It has been in and out a couple of times, now on airer!
    Hope everyone has a good day
    Last edited by DawnW; 15-01-2020 at 9:09 PM.

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Jan 20, 9:18 AM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Yesterday was a good day, found a pair of jeans for £3 when dropping a bag off at the charity shop. Sold and item for £85 with no fees and it was collected within the hour and I got a not to be sniffed at PPI refund that I wasn't expecting big thanks to dawn for the tip off last year about Her PPI success

So plans today:
    Meals from stores
    Get sausage meat out of freezer
    Make a cake and possibly try some GF scones
    Continue with a bit of declutter
    Move PPI refund to savings
    Check for refund
    Check banking
    Washing and putting away. No ironing
    Friend coming for a cuppa, lovely company and no cost

Have a good day everyone. Purps.
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 15th Jan 20, 9:23 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    twiggy86
    Morning all!

Today I have/will:
    * Check banks
    * Do foam rolling
    * Take something out of freezer for dinner
    * Cash out on PA
    * Make CC payment
    * Update spreadsheet
    * Eat breakfast that work are providing for free today!
    * Go for a run at lunch
    * Check OP/ PA
    * Dinner from stores
    * Wash hair and let dry naturally (didn't do yesterday as need to go for a run today so seemed a waste!)
    * Do some more crochet

Think that's everything for today. Hope you all have a really good day despite the rubbish weather!
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: £13,418.33 Current total: £10,752.84
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Jan 20, 9:24 AM
    • 5,972 Posts
    • 47,758 Thanks
    DawnW
    Great news PurpleFairy
    Pretty impressive re the jeans too - must have been very special ones for someone to pay £85 for a pair of second hand jeans though
    Twiggy, I have to ask, excuse my being nosy, but what is foam rolling??

• twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 15th Jan 20, 9:52 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    twiggy86
    I know this sounds a monumental ask, especially as I understand your all busy people too, but if anyone in the know has time could you PM me hints and tips about how you set up your financial spread sheet, as I've never done one ... so basic info please and I would love to use this tool to track everything and see where I am.
    Originally posted by debbiedodge1737
    My spreadsheet continually evolves as I find holes, so I would just set something up for now without overthinking it. Mine is a monthly spreadsheet with a table of DDs, and minimum CC payments and then use the balance to split between various "pots" (car tax, insurance, dentist, birthdays, xmas etc.) For each row I have a "bought forward", "spent", "added" and "balance" column.

I then have two separate tables - one for tracking my "general" spends and one for food spends. It's working at the moment for me, but as I say it has evolved over time!

Sounds really complicated when you write it out (it isn't to me!) but I hope that helps!
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 15th Jan 20, 9:59 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    twiggy86
    Twiggy, I have to ask, excuse my being nosy, but what is foam rolling??
    Originally posted by DawnW
    It's rolling out your muscles on a tubey thing to help with flexibility and muscle soreness! My circuits instructor gave me an assessment and suggested exercises to help with my dodgy ankle ages ago and of course I've been rubbish at doing them! So as I am now thinking about the marathon I need to make a point of doing it! If you've ever had a sports massage where they work on a particular point in the muscle (and it's always the bit that hurts most) that's kind of what foam rolling does!
    • Van_Girl
    • By Van_Girl 15th Jan 20, 4:41 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Van_Girl
    Resisting coffee out is my nemesis especially when in the road or cold. Winter is the WORST! I can only do it if the flask is in the way of the door
    Originally posted by TryingAgain2022
    TryingAgain - I am the absolute worst with hot drinks, and I know they are very wallet and environment unfriendly But I'm quite enjoying my flask now. I also downloaded the McD's app and they have a free coffee deal this week so I might treat myself to that tomorrow as I'm driving for about 8 hours in total

So todays small things:

- Worked from home and saved the petrol cost of commute.
    - Ate random crust of bread I found in the freezer as toast for breakfast - actually perfectly fine
    - Remembered to take the washing out in time to save it being washed again (I'm bad for that)
    - Digging through the cupboard tonight to cook up something for tonight's tea and tomorrow's lunches. Store cupboard or freezer staples only... big challenge
    - Followed poorly DH around the house turning off lights and closing doors. He's now safely in bed (with the light off)
    - NSD aside from a pre-agreed cost for tiny roof repair.
    - Cleaning out both flasks for long trip tomorrow - also need to plan snacks very well and top up my water supply. No slips ups tomorrow, I need to stick to my NS week!
    £1 per day = Jan £3.51/£31, Dec £5.52/£21
    NSD's = Jan 9/15
    Debt Free 23rd July 2015 House Renovation Debts £16,220.76 £16,580 1% = £162.21
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 15th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    ditty1234
    I'm looking at my laptop thinking that there is something money I have to check, but actually there's not, all is good, today is a NSD, food in fridge, gas in car, got a few bits to prepare for work tomorrow - and thats it.
    Might run to club run tonight, join warmup run, and then run on as am not in the mood for track run and timed runs.
    So now I think I'll have a short nap x
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/-£24.095 7% paid off - EF £65.53 Jan 2020
    2020 £1000 EF, get citizenship £1400, run 10 k in 1 hour 10 min
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Jan 20, 7:47 PM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 44,951 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Whoop oh fixed our laptop himself - he's so clever! - £7 for a replacement keyboard and time to reset factory settings and clear all the hard drive

so now I can use all the i's, k's & *'s want

I also pulled myself back from the brink of getting take out and had perfectly lovely and delish food in the fridge. My meal cost me c. 60p and I feel sated rather than being out of pocket £20 and feeling disappointed

Haven't managed to do all I had hoped today. Sometimes I can't quite harness my oodles of energy and it's quite uncomfortable having so much energy but not being able to use it effectively. But as per my NY resolution I'm not giving myself a hard time. I'm just accepting today wasn't my most productive day and that's ok

Going to treat myself to a 2p (ys) raisin and oatmeal cookie which I picked up a couple of bags and put them in the freezer
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Jan 20, 6:41 AM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning frugal pals. Determined Glad you got your I, k and *** back

Yesterday was productive on shopping from home I made:
    Cake
    Sausage rolls
    Muesli
    Chickenless curry (with leftovers)
    Hummus

All from what I had in already.

Up and about already so I've been productive and caught up on some diaries on here and also:

Checked banking and moved some money from virtual pots to balance my sheet
    Checked online account for something and can see £5 charge that I didn't agree too, will call them later
    Researched a recipe I want to make and if enjoyed, can then batch cook and freeze
    Checked refund, still not arrived. Am not impressed with this company at all. Over a month for something to be refunded, their last e mail said 12 working days to process - seriously! Sent 2 things back same day - other company collected for free and amount was refunded within 48 hours no chasing. This one, complete opposite. Luckily I don't need to buy a bathroom anytime soon but wouldn't be using them if I did

Will also:
    Make gf crumpets
    Small having a one off school dinner, credit in her school account so no additional cost to me today
    Going to a long appointment, they will provide lunch, will take a snack which will stop me from being too productive today, but also means I won't be spending
    Read some forms in detail and complete
    Meals from stores/freezer
    Order some school uniform for small as they have grown (again )

Have a good day all. Purps.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Jan 20, 9:02 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 8,542 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone
    I am def not being as productive as Purps!!

Waited in all day yesterday for a parcel which didnt arrive Was stuck downstairs as until someone hot wires my stairlift to go faster it takes ages to get to the door

Must start my spends book again next month. Completely forgot this month, but i was sorting and looking at old spends in 2018 yesterday and it becomes such an eye opener when u do it-needs sorting.
    Banking all checked
    Must check quidco

Need to go shopping for basics today.
    Will sort RM survey today for when i go out shopping.
    Parcel to be picked up. Sorted and packed this up for charity auction yesterday. Reused box and packaging used , 21 items packed up (all sale bits ive been lucky to find). Space created.
    Must do some hw today.
    Want to do some touch up painting
    Im sure there are other things
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 16th Jan 20, 9:22 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    twiggy86
    Morning all. Hope you're all having a good week.

* Check banks
    * Do foam rolling
    * Load of washing on 30 degree eco wash
    * Change plaster at work from work stash
    * Eat OOD cereal with communal milk at work
    * Check OP/ PA
    * Take old phone to cash in
    * Snap any receipts
    * Update spreadsheet with spends
    * Hang washing on airer
    * Go to circuits
    * Dinner from stores
    * Wash hair and let dry naturally
    * Do some more crochet

Think that's everything for today. Hope you all have a good day.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Jan 20, 10:08 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 13,245 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,
    Sorry I've not been around the last few days, I had a great/productive day on Monday and then sort of crashed. Low mood/energy etc. I'm still not feeling good but hoping that if I put a list up it will "gee me up" a bit as my old nan used to say.
    So far today
    * dh working from home so fuel saved as he's got his diabeties review at the drs this afternoon.
    * cheap & healthy porridge for breakfast
    * put a load of washing in on the quick 30 degree wash
    * been to the gym but didn't feel up to a class so just did some walking on the treadmill instead
    * dropped a big box of stuff off at the charity shop

Still need to
    * check off my credit card statement Done
    * update my cashbook after checking banking Done
    * make families lunches for tomorrow
    * rm surveys
    * print off evoucher from cex for the kindle we sold them Done
    * hang the washing on the heated airer overnight Done
    * plan tonights meal - this should be the priority actually as when I feel like this I don't tend to eat well.... so I'll finsh this post here and go and do that now. Kind of done, I've taken some cooked chicken out of the freezer so will do something with that and bacon/mushrooms I have in the fridge
    Also
    * paid my road tax online - its only £30 thankfully
    * as part of my use up I've just made myself a cup of "cherry bakewell" green tea..... I don't even remember buying them!
    * ironed just what needs doing and switched it off for the last item - other tshirts and things will be worn under jumpers so no need to iron!

Take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 16-01-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter