Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • irelavv
    • By irelavv 11th Jan 20, 11:59 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 7Thanks
    irelavv
    Favourite Bank Account
    • 11th Jan 20, 11:59 PM
    Favourite Bank Account 11th Jan 20 at 11:59 PM
    Title says it all. Mine is the Lloyds Classic Bank Account. Call me old-fashioned but this was my first ever account before I started gaining advantage from switch incentives.

It's my favourite because it's straightforward, easy to use, has a money manager tool and it comes with the classic green striped card with black stallion.

I remember going in branch for the first time. Paying in my first cheque. Depositing cash via cashier. Seeing the face on the poor cashier lady who I'd given 10 in unsorted coins. I didn't know basic rules or depositing coins back then but he was very nice about it and explained how to do it properly next time. Transfering and withdrawing money over the counter. Having to bring a letter from branch to show the University staff I had a bank account set up in order to comply with something - I forgot why we (students) had to do it really - was a long time ago...

So many memorable purchases throughout the years. I've even kept the old - now void of use - Lloyds TSB cheque book, just to remind me where I began my financially independent journey from my parents

So if you have a favourite bank account - what is yours?
Page 2
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 14th Jan 20, 11:34 AM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 4,250 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I find this entire thread utterly baffling.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • quirkydeptless
    • By quirkydeptless 14th Jan 20, 11:35 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    quirkydeptless
    Title says it all. Mine is the Lloyds Classic Bank Account. Call me old-fashioned but this was my first ever account
    Originally posted by irelavv
    Walking through my University Campus many decades of moons ago, I entered a branch of Lloyds Bank and opened my first Bank Account.

It was my only Bank until I came across this forum and caught the switching bonus virus, but now having got a taste of a dozen banks, Lloyds is still my favourite, and the free Cinema tickets are a nice perk ... hmm ... think I will get a free VIP ticket to watch 1917 next
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
    • quirkydeptless
    • By quirkydeptless 14th Jan 20, 11:36 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    quirkydeptless
    I find this entire thread utterly baffling.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Hey, some of us enjoy self indulgent waffling
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
    • torrence
    • By torrence 14th Jan 20, 2:20 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    torrence
    FIrst Direct have always been good at answering calls and customer care.
    • oli356
    • By oli356 14th Jan 20, 8:29 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    oli356
    I was a Natwest customer for several years and made the switchover to Monzo sometime last year. Natwest was OK really, I had no problems and the Android app has always been good and they update it to make improvements instead of just breaking it.

But Monzo I far prefer .. the instant notifications when something goes in / out. The support I've found is good, not had to wait that long and increasing my cards limits for the day was as simple as asking and take a selfie holding a driving license. When your friends have Monzo splitting the bills is just too easy...

I've currently got a Starling, TSB, HSBC and Nationwide card accounts on my desk.. HSBC was by FAR the worst to setup... need phone banking before online banking, needed 2 memorable word/passwords setup whilst on the phone, a further 3 online ... plus using the phone as a digital key or whatever they call it isn't too bad, but the HSBC app is SLOW.

Even the website has some strange things, to make payments you have to then use your phone (I suppose its just alternative to the old card readers), but on your phone you need to input the last 4 digits of the account number followed by the amount you want to pay.

Starling was extremely easy to setup and the card came through the post probably the fastest.

Nationwide at a glance looks OK in terms of app/website/ease of use..

For now though I will stick with Monzo as no reason to change.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 15th Jan 20, 5:34 PM
    • 13,308 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    jimjames
    Currently the Tesco current account, easy to use and well designed app. That's coming from using most of the banks that I've got accounts with or have switched from over the years.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,373Users online

Martin's Twitter