Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ashfan83
    • By ashfan83 9th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 146Thanks
    ashfan83
    Built-in wardrobes
    • 9th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    Built-in wardrobes 9th Jan 20 at 2:27 PM
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could advise me about built-in wardrobes?

We are considering getting some but they would need to be on finance. I just wondered what people's experience of these companies are? Are there any to avoid? I've heard Sharps are horrendously expensive so I'm not looking at them. I've seen a few companies offering 0% finance which would be ideal because we don't have to pay upfront (or for a local carpenter to build them).

We have an awkward-shaped room because of a chimney breast so built-in wardrobes either side would be ideal. I've looked at the Ikea pax ones but not that keen as they wouldn't fit perfectly.

Thanks in advance ��
Page 2
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Jan 20, 12:49 PM
    • 7,554 Posts
    • 8,077 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    The sizing was purely for reference. It was to give people an idea of how much Sharps cost & idea of wardrobe size.
    Originally posted by thrombel

A joke was being made. You left out the decimal point. The size you gave equates to roughly 800 feet wide and high. I'd say good value but very big doors.
    • gaz_moose
    • By gaz_moose 10th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    gaz_moose
    the screwfix ones are made by slidepro, homebase and B+Q sell them.
    ive just built a hybrid ikea/slidepro unit by chopping up some ikea units to fit.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    • 7,554 Posts
    • 8,077 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I didn't have time to do the work myself when we had the Hammond ones installed, but I used their measurements as a basis for positioning hanging rails etc when I did the work myself in another bedroom. For that I got all the components from B&Q, full height sliding doors, although there was a problem with the initial delivery. The top rail for the doors was too long for the van so they folded it in half! Bunch of muppets.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 11th Jan 20, 11:24 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I'm very lucky my hubby built all of our wardrobes. The only problem was that there wasn't enough space to build them right up to the wall because the large window was in the way on both sides. They look good though, plain white but we are still looking for something to decorate them with.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 11th Jan 20, 11:40 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    dunroving
    I'm very lucky my hubby built all of our wardrobes. The only problem was that there wasn't enough space to build them right up to the wall because the large window was in the way on both sides. They look good though, plain white but we are still looking for something to decorate them with.
    Originally posted by Waterlily24
    You should have done what the owner of my last house did - sawed the end off the window sill!
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • ashfan83
    • By ashfan83 12th Jan 20, 9:09 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    ashfan83
    Thanks all. I will reconsider the Ikea wardrobes, I just didnt want there to be gaps and space for dust etc.
    • thrombel
    • By thrombel 12th Jan 20, 10:52 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    thrombel
    [QUOTE=Owain Moneysaver;76704227]Please please please don't do your own measuring and buy online.

Ah OK, I get it now! 2.4 metres!
    High ceilings too - I forgot to ask the man how high the doors would be & whether we would be left with a unusable space by them shoving a filler panel across the top.

Obviously the 2 door option is considerably cheaper than 3 doors. But wondering if the 2 doors option would be heavy to manoeuvre.

Lets see what the local company come up- with, who supply & fit Hepplewhite.

My husband is now starting to talk himself out of it too! Alot of money & whether we can utilise our existing non-fitted wardrobe & somehow refitting it out better inside, purchasing the interior bits from elsewhere... We have got too much rail space thats not required & using that area to fit shelves etc instead.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Jan 20, 11:01 AM
    • 10,518 Posts
    • 13,618 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I have refitted freestanding wardrobes internally.

Take the "hat shelf" and move it down to the middle.

Move the top rail right up to the top, and fit a second rail in the lower part. Doubles the rail space for shirts etc.

Also fitted one wardrobe with a front-to-back rail, useful for suit jackets which are a bit wider than wardrobe depth and the shoulders get crushed when hung conventionally.

Also quite easy to add shelves and then use wicker or wire baskets.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 12th Jan 20, 11:44 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    You should have done what the owner of my last house did - sawed the end off the window sill!
    Originally posted by dunroving

lol

The problem is that the wardrobes overlap the window by about 6/8 inches either side and I wanted curtains rather than blinds.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Jan 20, 8:36 PM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 26,361 Thanks
    JIL
    Pinterest has loads of ikea PAC wardrobes made to look fitted. I'm really impressed.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 14th Jan 20, 12:12 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Originally posted by Waterlily24

Strange, we went shopping yesterday and went to B & M and found something to decorate them with.

Hubby did try a large stencil before used spray paint and it was a complete disaster lol. The stencil got binned and the paint was cleaned off.
    • thrombel
    • By thrombel 14th Jan 20, 9:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    thrombel
    I have refitted freestanding wardrobes internally.

Take the "hat shelf" and move it down to the middle.

Move the top rail right up to the top, and fit a second rail in the lower part. Doubles the rail space for shirts etc.

Also fitted one wardrobe with a front-to-back rail, useful for suit jackets which are a bit wider than wardrobe depth and the shoulders get crushed when hung conventionally.

Also quite easy to add shelves and then use wicker or wire baskets.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    We've talked ourselves out of getting new wardrobes & will refit the interior of our existing ones, which are bi-fold doors. Based on your tips! This can only equate to a few hundred pounds, as apposed to thousands of pounds....

We have got high ceilings & Hepplewhite sliding doors only go as high as our existing ones, then a filler across the top to make it look fitted, so not actually gaining any space.... May as well fit a filler across our existing wardrobe to make that look fitted!!
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 15th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    Cisco001
    [QUOTE=thrombel;76711981]
    Please please please don't do your own measuring and buy online.

Ah OK, I get it now! 2.4 metres!
    High ceilings too - I forgot to ask the man how high the doors would be & whether we would be left with a unusable space by them shoving a filler panel across the top.

Obviously the 2 door option is considerably cheaper than 3 doors. But wondering if the 2 doors option would be heavy to manoeuvre.

Lets see what the local company come up- with, who supply & fit Hepplewhite.

My husband is now starting to talk himself out of it too! Alot of money & whether we can utilise our existing non-fitted wardrobe & somehow refitting it out better inside, purchasing the interior bits from elsewhere... We have got too much rail space thats not required & using that area to fit shelves etc instead.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    is build in wardrobe that important?

Ikea has cheap 120cm wide sliding wardrobe for 99.
    2 will fit your 2.4m space...
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kvikne-wardrobe-with-2-sliding-doors-white-80222281/
    • thrombel
    • By thrombel 15th Jan 20, 5:50 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    thrombel
    [QUOTE=Cisco001;76726222][QUOTE=thrombel;76711981]

We've had a think & basically talked ourselves out of a fitted wardrobe

On a serious note, our existing freestanding wardrobe with bi-fold doors is in good condition & sturdy.

Just need to utilise the internal space better. There's 2 clothes rails so will get rid of 1 & replace with shelving instead, which would be more beneficial because we have more stuff that needs to be stored on shelves than on hangers.

I just need to find some suitable shelves to do the above. They are beige too, so will try & match as best as possible.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 15th Jan 20, 9:18 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 4,506 Thanks
    DD265
    I just need to find some suitable shelves to do the above. They are beige too, so will try & match as best as possible.
    Worst case, buy the MDF/plywood or what have you and some vinyl to cover it. I did this to add some extra shelves to our kitchen units (wasted space much?!) to tide us over until we replace it. OK it's not a perfect match, but it does the job fine and only I notice it.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Jan 20, 9:08 AM
    • 8,306 Posts
    • 54,976 Thanks
    kerri gt
    [QUOTE=thrombel;76726309][QUOTE=Cisco001;76726222]

We've had a think & basically talked ourselves out of a fitted wardrobe

On a serious note, our existing freestanding wardrobe with bi-fold doors is in good condition & sturdy.

Just need to utilise the internal space better. There's 2 clothes rails so will get rid of 1 & replace with shelving instead, which would be more beneficial because we have more stuff that needs to be stored on shelves than on hangers.

We are looking at having some existing fitted wardrobes replaced - sound like a similar situation to yours with two alcoves. Although the insides aren't great the company we'll prob use to do the work said we can basically save close to 1k by not replacing the interior and just using what we have which is sturdy enough if not new and glossy. After all, you don't actually see much of the shelves once you put stuff on them, and don't see them at all when doors are closed. Long way of saying, if you can't find a colour match - I wouldn't necessarily stress over it too much.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,256Posts Today

7,484Users online

Martin's Twitter