Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 9th Jan 20, 2:18 PM
    • 220Posts
    • 586Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Forum Update
    • 9th Jan 20, 2:18 PM
    Forum Update 9th Jan 20 at 2:18 PM
    Hi all!

Today we have started sending out the below update by email to everyone using the registered email addresses you have used on the Forum. These are being sent out in batches due to the volume, so it may be several days before everyone has received their copy and we will update you when all the emails have been sent.

"At the beginning of October, we shared the exciting news that we are getting ready to migrate the MSE Forum to a new and future-proof platform (see the original post from our Editor-in-Chief Marcus explaining why we're doing this).

We're still finalising the launch date, so keep an eye out for any updates on the Forum. As part of this move there will inevitably be some changes, although we've done our best to keep these to a minimum, and it should all be very straightforward.

Some changes will affect all users, and you'll need to take some steps before the move (see points one and two below). If you use functions like 'Thanks' and 'Competitions Time', you may notice that things work a little differently after the move.

Here's what you need to know...
    1. Logging in for the first time after the move
    You'll need to log in using the email address on your account, and will be required to reset your password as MSE will not be transferring your existing one for security reasons. If your email address isn't correct at the time of the switchover, then we will not be able to give you access after the move.

You must take action now: Click here to check and update your email address before 3 February 2020.

2. Profile pictures
    Due to the size of all the files, your profile picture will not be carried across to the new Forum. If you want to keep your current picture, please save it locally on your device and you can upload it again in the new Forum. Again, you'll need to do this before 3 February 2020.

3. Link tricks
    We know some of you use special tricks with URLs to change how many boards appear and to save search results. Not all of these tricks will be available after the launch.

We realise everyone uses the Forum in different ways. If you have lost any functionality after the launch as a result of the re-platform, let us know and we'll do what we can to restore it.

4. Thanks
    Over the years we've racked up a massive 230 million 'Thanks' on posts, which unfortunately can't be moved across. Don't worry though – everyone will be able to see a count of how many 'Thanks' you had on the old Forum in your profile, but 'Thanks' counts on posts will start again from scratch.

5. Competitions Time Entered and Skipped
    We are migrating the 'Entered' and 'Skipped' buttons for the Competitions Time boards, but importing the data will take a little longer (there are 170 million competition entries and 320 million skips), so we expect the Competitions Time boards will be unavailable for a few hours longer after the move while we make sure everything works as expected.

6. End of spaces in usernames
    One of the optimisations of the new Forum platform means that spaces in usernames will be replaced with underscores. You don't need to do anything here, we're just letting you know.

And finally...
    We are doing our best to keep disruption to a minimum and ask you to be patient with us. This is a massive move and we're making it to be able to keep the Forum thriving well into the future for you.

We can't wait to show it to you - not long now!"

MSE Tine
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 17-01-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Jan 20, 6:39 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    J B
    All at MSE towers are extreamly busy at the moment, if you want a personal responce, then send MSE Tine a PM.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Done

tencharacters
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 11th Jan 20, 11:13 PM
    • 41,892 Posts
    • 333,413 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Thinking more about the above, if the current password will not be transferred/recognised on the new forum then how do I log in to change the password as stated in the email?...or do I need to change my password now..
    Originally posted by Inforapennyinforapound
    You will enter your existing forum e-mail address on the new forum and a link will be sent to set your password - so if you cannot access that e-mail address you will not be able to set a password and you will not be able to access your existing account.
    Internet goodness 27349
    • janE1956
    • By janE1956 12th Jan 20, 7:48 AM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 92,241 Thanks
    janE1956
    so is the big change over feb 3rd??? ie monday morning?? why not 1st that way we have all weekend to get sorted, when there are less comps and no radio comps.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Jan 20, 12:23 PM
    • 9,793 Posts
    • 17,917 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Thinking more about the above, if the current password will not be transferred/recognised on the new forum then how do I log in to change the password as stated in the email?...or do I need to change my password now..
    Originally posted by Inforapennyinforapound
    There is no point in changing your password now (unless you're unhappy with your password now), because as they said, the password will not carry over from old system to new.

Presumably then, the reason to check that the email address you want to use for their communications is up-to-date is that when you log into the new system you will need to reset your password, and that reset process, when it happens, will involve them sending a code or link by email to your email address. If the email address they hold for you in their system is not the address where you really want to receive such email communications, you should take action to change it.

It's not rocket surgery, people.

so is the big change over feb 3rd??? ie monday morning?? why not 1st that way we have all weekend to get sorted, when there are less comps and no radio comps.
    Originally posted by janE1956
    Yes, why launch a new internet site on a normal business day when all the senior tech, infrastructure service providers and customer service people will be in the office and able to make changes or modifications?

When you could instead bang it out on a Saturday morning and then if the 'live' version of the site all falls over, call up your staff and service providers and plead for their help to drop what they are doing in their personal time and come back into the office to help fix it...
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 12-01-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 13th Jan 20, 2:35 AM
    • 6,585 Posts
    • 9,362 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Its a shame, I suppose we won't be able to call up the old MSE look of the forum. I still use it, still hate the bland 'new' look when it was changed. Its so much easier to read.

Sorry I know this isn't relevant to the email notice but dreading how the forum will look. I do have slight sight problems and having post headings as they are on the old look MSE site is so much easier for me to read. I suppose no one at MSE thinks of that.
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 13th Jan 20, 9:16 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Just had the email that says

6. End of spaces in usernames
    One of the optimisations of the new Forum platform means that spaces in usernames will be replaced with underscores. You don't need to do anything here, we're just letting you know.

Interesting ...
    I am J B
    in the user list there are also the following:-
    j b
    J-B
    J_B
    J_B_
    J_Bee

Who do I contact to prevent a fudge up???

Originally posted by J B
    When we migrate the software has algorithms it will follow depending on what accounts already exist. Saying exactly what everyone will get is hard as there may already be someone with the first, second or even third likely option that the algorithms will choose.

When you log in for the first time you will need your email address to log in, this is why it's critical to update this before the migration. The new Forum will send you a password reset link to this email address and when you log in your username will have been changed if affected.

If you feel this new username is not appropriate please contact the forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual.
    Do bear with us if you do change your username however - it may take us longer than usual to respond to everyone but we will get back to everyone.

MSE Tine

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 13th Jan 20, 9:19 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    All at MSE towers are extreamly busy at the moment, if you want a personal responce, then send MSE Tine a PM.

I`m sure they will respond as soon as they can.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Please use the forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com email address - sending PM's to myself or the team means if we are out of office/off sick your message won't be picked up by other team members.

Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 13th Jan 20, 9:27 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Its a shame, I suppose we won't be able to call up the old MSE look of the forum. I still use it, still hate the bland 'new' look when it was changed. Its so much easier to read.

Sorry I know this isn't relevant to the email notice but dreading how the forum will look. I do have slight sight problems and having post headings as they are on the old look MSE site is so much easier for me to read. I suppose no one at MSE thinks of that.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    I can confirm that ensuring the Forums remain accessible (and hopefully increases accessibility to more users) have been part of the design from the beginning of this re-platform

Join the MSE Forum
    • J B
    • By J B 13th Jan 20, 6:05 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    J B
    Interesting ...
    I am J B
    in the user list there are also the following:-
    j b
    J-B
    J_B
    J_B_
    J_Bee
    Originally posted by J B
    When we migrate the software has algorithms it will follow depending on what accounts already exist. Saying exactly what everyone will get is hard as there may already be someone with the first, second or even third likely option that the algorithms will choose.

When you log in for the first time you will need your email address to log in, this is why it's critical to update this before the migration. The new Forum will send you a password reset link to this email address and when you log in your username will have been changed if affected.
    Originally posted by MSE Tine

Sorry - being a bit geeky and have too much time on my hands ....

j b has one posts and they last logged in in 2007
    J-B has 7 posts and they last logged in in 2012
    J_B has three posts and they last logged in in 2014
    J_B_ and J_Bee don't come up in the member-list search, so, don't really know how I found them the other day?

I'm a bit possessive of my username (sorry) since someone first gave it to me in the late 90's and don't really want to loose it to some part timer!

Sad or what
    Last edited by J B; 13-01-2020 at 6:09 PM.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Jan 20, 7:13 PM
    • 19,403 Posts
    • 42,112 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Will a posters infractions get carried over, or will everybody start with a 'clean slate'?
    Total distance walked in 2019 1459 km
    Target for 2020 - 2020 Km
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 14th Jan 20, 9:44 AM
    • 9,700 Posts
    • 346,561 Thanks
    BlueBella
    We've got Brexit, Megsit and now MSExit! (try saying that with a mouthful of latte!) What next? Dreading 3rd Feb - I bet MSExit will face big problems just like Brexit and Megsit!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

I never knew how strong i was until being strong was my only choice....Don't Judge My Path If You Haven't Walked My Journey....
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 14th Jan 20, 9:52 PM
    • 5,867 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Sorry - being a bit geeky and have too much time on my hands ....

j b has one posts and they last logged in in 2007
    J-B has 7 posts and they last logged in in 2012
    J_B has three posts and they last logged in in 2014
    J_B_ and J_Bee don't come up in the member-list search, so, don't really know how I found them the other day?

I'm a bit possessive of my username (sorry) since someone first gave it to me in the late 90's and don't really want to loose it to some part timer!

Sad or what
    Originally posted by J B
    Let's hope they don't change it to BJ
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 15th Jan 20, 4:14 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Yes I’m also a little confused. The email does state “take action now”. I assume that if my email is correct then I need do nothing and only need to change password AFTER the new forum is up and running?
    Thanks for asking that question - I thought I was the only member who was confused on this aspect.

I obviously misread "now" literally - big mistake.

The email address I had registered with was a hotmail one ( from a few years ago) and it has transformed into Outlook.

To cut a long story short, and after a near meltdown, I was able to restore this username - I won't be attempting any further preparatory admin tasks until there is no alternative for migration to the new platform.

I suspect (God forbid) there will be more weeping and gnashing of teeth in the coming weeks.
    • venison
    • By venison 15th Jan 20, 7:46 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 6,080 Thanks
    venison
    interesting poll/comments here..

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6091760#topofpage
    If you fail to plan you plan to fail
    • scgf
    • By scgf 15th Jan 20, 8:12 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    scgf
    No one will look at profiles so the amount of thanks that everyone has spent years amassing will be a waste of effort, well done mse
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Really? Do you post just to receive thanks? Speaking ONLY for myself I couldn't care less if I'm thanked or not - but I am aware several members of this forum and their cronies thank each other all the time. It makes me laugh!
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 15th Jan 20, 11:35 PM
    • 5,867 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Really? Do you post just to receive thanks? Speaking ONLY for myself I couldn't care less if I'm thanked or not - but I am aware several members of this forum and their cronies thank each other all the time. It makes me laugh!
    Originally posted by scgf
    Probably won't make much difference to your 35 posts a year tbh
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • scgf
    • By scgf 16th Jan 20, 7:23 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    scgf
    Probably won't make much difference to your 35 posts a year tbh
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    I don't understand. What do you mean it won't make much difference? It will make zero difference to any of us apart from losing the numbers. What does that matter? I am aware you were making a playground dig and I'm sorry it has no effect. Maybe you can try again?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Jan 20, 10:56 AM
    • 14,022 Posts
    • 17,610 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    If the new system will have badges, perhaps there could be badge that permanently records Thanks votes brought over?
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 16th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 2,922 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    If the new system will have badges, perhaps there could be badge that permanently records Thanks votes brought over?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    and a really big badge for Laks our biggest loser in the thanks stakes.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    • 14,022 Posts
    • 17,610 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    and a really big badge for Laks our biggest loser in the thanks stakes.
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    Indeed - a big, gold badge (for 36 million thanks).
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter