Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 9th Jan 20, 1:33 PM
    • 1,990Posts
    • 1,811Thanks
    ripplyuk
    iPhone won’t play music in car anymore.
    • 9th Jan 20, 1:33 PM
    iPhone won’t play music in car anymore. 9th Jan 20 at 1:33 PM
    I use Spotify and Disney Life. There’s no Bluetooth in the car so I connect it with an aux cable. For some reason, a few weeks ago it stopped working. The songs show as playing on my phone but there’s no sound from the car speakers. Using the sat nav through Apple maps still works and the voice comes through the speakers so it can’t be a problem with the car.

I’ve tried rebooting the phone, deleting and reinstalling apps, bought a new aux cable and tried downloading the music but nothing works.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Page 2
    • googler
    • By googler 15th Jan 20, 12:21 PM
    • 15,437 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    googler
    FWIW, I have an ongoing issue with an iPod Touch - I have an iTunes music library which is far larger than the storage of the Touch, so synced selected music to it.

When I go into Music on the Touch, it shows the titles I have supposedly synced, but it has them greyed out, and won't play any, even though it presents a neat, ordered list of artists and albums

I can only suggest that the OP tries to sync his/her music to the iPhone again, perhaps with a different selection of artists and albums, see if that clears the blockage....
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th Jan 20, 1:24 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    I’m not really sure what you mean. Yes, it speaks when I programme a route. There’s no problem with the maps app. I can hear it fine.
    Maybe I've got confused with the passage of time.

Spotify and Disney Life don't output sound on Aux, whilst other apps, including Maps, works correctly. So whilst a bit confused, I was right that it's a software issue with these two apps.

Mmmm...wonder if the Disney app is similar to now tv and apple , where you can't mirror now tv onto a monitor ?
    No, we're just outputting sound from the headphone socket, not 'mirroring' - they can't block that!

So, just to test or refresh my memory - does the 'Music' app work? Does BBC Sounds work? just as 2 tests of other 'sound' apps.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 15th Jan 20, 1:33 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    So, just to test or refresh my memory - does the 'Music' app work? Does BBC Sounds work? just as 2 tests of other 'sound' apps.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Yes, the Music app works. Everything works except Spotify and Disney.

I imagine it’s some sort of weird technical glitch that I’ll never understand but it does seem strange that it happened to two apps at the same time.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 15th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I can only suggest that the OP tries to sync his/her music to the iPhone again, perhaps with a different selection of artists and albums, see if that clears the blockage....
    Originally posted by googler
    I don’t understand what you mean by ‘sync’. With Spotify, I just either stream it or download it. Neither works through the car aux cable.
    • googler
    • By googler 15th Jan 20, 2:03 PM
    • 15,437 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    googler
    I don’t understand what you mean by ‘sync’. With Spotify, I just either stream it or download it. Neither works through the car aux cable.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Sorry, ignore it. I should have re-read the OP.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 15th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    thorganby
    Yes, the Music app works. Everything works except Spotify and Disney.

I imagine it’s some sort of weird technical glitch that I’ll never understand but it does seem strange that it happened to two apps at the same time.
    I believe that this is due to a recent iOS 13 update.

There have now been 11 releases of iOS 13 since it was first released without thorough testing back in September with each release breaking something else when trying to fix numerous reported problems!

Try reseting the iphone:

General > scroll down and touch Reset > Reset All Settings > if prompted enter your security lock passcode > touch Reset All Settings > and then Reset All Settings to confirm

After it has rebooted check the Spotify sound.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    DoaM
    Risks with doing a reset? (i.e. will the OP have to enter all the accounts names and passwords again? If yes then this should be made clear).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 15th Jan 20, 5:49 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Risks with doing a reset? (i.e. will the OP have to enter all the accounts names and passwords again? If yes then this should be made clear).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I just googled it. Apparently it will wipe the phone completely! I’m not sure I want to do that.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Jan 20, 7:27 PM
    • 35,622 Posts
    • 22,488 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Could you try an other phone eg a wifes phone or sons/daughters ?
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 15th Jan 20, 7:52 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Could you try an other phone eg a wifes phone or sons/daughters ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I could try my bf’s phone at the weekend. But I don’t see many other people complaining about this on the Spotify support pages so it mustn’t be a widespread problem.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 16th Jan 20, 8:54 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    thorganby
    I just googled it. Apparently it will wipe the phone completely! I’m not sure I want to do that.
    Obviously Google is not your best friend and you are completely wrong about it wiping the phone completely!

You were not instructed to "Erase All Contents and Settings" which is what would be done before selling the phone, that is an entirely different option.

“Reset all Settings” retains all your personal data and your apps but will reset personal preferences (which may have been changed during an iOS update and reboot) and network settings e.g. WiFi network information e.g. login/password.

Erase is not the same as Reset and no personal data or media is deleted. Read your user manual.

Surely everyone should definitely know their various logins/passwords etc. for when they are needed.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and only you know how important listening to Spotify in your car is to you?

• almillar
    • By almillar 16th Jan 20, 12:29 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    Good stuff. 2 apps only affected by the problem. I'd imagine people not being able to hear spotify on their headphones, which is essentially what you're attempting, would be a big problem! Let us know how you get on with the reset.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 18th Jan 20, 7:05 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    It’s working again

I deleted both apps, rebooted the phone then reinstalled the apps. Now both are working through the aux cable again. I’m obviously very pleased but it’s also a bit strange because I’d already tried doing all that at least twice previously and it made no difference. I have no idea why it worked now! I just hope this problem doesn’t happen again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,730Users online

Martin's Twitter