Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 9th Jan 20, 9:16 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 511Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    Bookworms 2020
    • 9th Jan 20, 9:16 AM
    Bookworms 2020 9th Jan 20 at 9:16 AM
    I looked for the old thread, but thought a new one for the New Year would be appropriate. Here goes:

Just finished 'Three Things about Elsie' by Joanna Cannon.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! An old woman looking back on her life as she waits for someone to find her after a fall. It includes a mystery. Beautiful imagery and even better than her first book.

Just reading 'The Never Game' by Jeffrey Deaver - not a Lincoln Rhyme, but a new lone-wolf investigator. Good so far. I think I've solved it, but with Deaver, there's bound to be umpteen twists.
Page 2
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 17,027 Posts
    • 145,874 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi! I am aiming to read 52 books this year to try and reduce the mountain of unread books in the house

Sam
    Originally posted by betasam
    What a good idea I have a book club book every month and january's was a Legacy of Spies by John Le Carre, I personally enjoyed it ,but then I like most of his books anyway I read one book from my stash The Love Letter which was quite interesting and just read another book calle Humber Boy B, by Ruth Dugdall, which I only got on Monday from the library and finished last night ,pretty good book and gave different perspectives on the story from all the characters involved so three books read so far this year two library ones, and one of my own from my stash I usually wait until I have a good bagful then pass them on to a local old folks home (well I am an old folk )or to the local hospital for resale.I am going to try library book, then own book, in turn this way my stash will reduce (hopefully). I am moving in two years so I must try to reduce the amount of books indoors.

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 16-01-2020 at 1:28 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Michellelh
    • By Michellelh 15th Jan 20, 8:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Michellelh
    For people who enjoyed ‘The silence of the girls’ then I’d recommend reading ‘A thousand ships’ by Natalie Haynes which also covers the Trojan war from the female side. I listened to it on audible last year and really enjoyed it.
    • RachDrap
    • By RachDrap 16th Jan 20, 9:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RachDrap
    Iíve just finished Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and am about to start The Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley. Love all the books by these authors.
    • RachDrap
    • By RachDrap 16th Jan 20, 9:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RachDrap
    I have just finished Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and am about to start The Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley. Love all the books by these authors.
    • RachDrap
    • By RachDrap 16th Jan 20, 9:14 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RachDrap
    I have just finished Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and am about to start The Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley. I have read and loved all the books by these authors. The seven sisters series by Lucinda Riley are so interesting and addictive.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 16th Jan 20, 9:38 AM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 15,713 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Oh could I join? Iíve set myself a target of 100 books in 2020 partly as a way to reduce social media time and reducing my book mountain. And partly cos Iím not finding engaging with the real world overly rewarding at the minute. So far Iím 9 in, but thatís cos I didnít go back to work til the 8th and cos the weather has been so awful.

If you want a light read to bring up your numbers, Me by Elton John was really fun. Iím not a particular fan of his music but his writing is very indiscreet, especially about himself. I also enjoyed That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo and The Beacon by Susan Hill and just finished The Butterfly House by Lucinda Riley - I also liked her Sisters books (all from the online library). I was given Idaho by Emily Ruskovitch for Christmas and really enjoyed it too.

Iím also trying to get through books loaned to me by people and read a local bestseller but I confess I hated it so wonít name it, by the end I was just scanning through pages to get it done with.

Currently ongoing reading The Clinton Tapes by Taylor Branch (though itís a dip in and out) and upcoming is a Mark Twain for my book club!

Please keep posting recommendations. Especially now when Iím mostly reading on Kindle it can be really hard to come across different authors.

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Jan 20, 9:55 AM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 46,322 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have finished Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes. It was ok but only just ok. I have never thought that I have high brow literary taste but this book was recommended as was another book I read recently, I can't remember the author but the title was something like Daisy's Cornish Camper Van and it was truly dreadful so compared to some of my friends I seem to be expecting a lot more from an author.

Yesterday I started 'The Bleak Midwinter' by L C Tyler. Never heard of the author so we will see.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Jan 20, 12:15 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have finished Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes. It was ok but only just ok.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I don't get the appeal of chic-lit but I know this is a very popular book. It irritates me of I think I am wasting my life on something trivial - isn't this supposed to have serious themes?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 16th Jan 20, 5:02 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    Urgh! I've just have plodded then rapidly skimmed an early Tracy Chevalier.

The Lady and the Unicorn - utter precious dross, but it was passed in with a recommendation from my friend and neighbour who's been really down. I decided to vent here so I can soften my feedback to her.

Going to start A Keeper tonight, Graham Norton's second novel. The first, Holding, was excellent.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Jan 20, 5:47 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 46,322 Thanks
    dolly84
    I don't get the appeal of chic-lit but I know this is a very popular book. It irritates me of I think I am wasting my life on something trivial - isn't this supposed to have serious themes?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

It is a serious subject, it's about a quadriplegic wanting to end his life in Switzerland, brave topic I suppose but I didn't love it. I borrowed it from the library along with the sequel but I am returning both without reading the sequel.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • Kashia
    • By Kashia 16th Jan 20, 6:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Kashia
    I loved that book too! That was meant to be in response to The trouble with goats and sheep. I'm currently reading Normal People by Sally Rooney and struggling to put it down!
    Last edited by Kashia; 16-01-2020 at 6:13 PM.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 16th Jan 20, 8:55 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 15,713 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Going to start A Keeper tonight, Graham Norton's second novel. The first, Holding, was excellent.
    Originally posted by Pollyflinders
    Ooh this is in my book pile, I bought it for a friend and then liked the look of it and kept it but didn’t get around to reading it yet.

I always worry that the chic-lit thing is just a way of putting down books written by women for women. E.g. I just read a Marian Keyes last year thinking it would be a light summer read based on that kind of chic-lit image. Also I follow her on Twitter and she’s so funny. But oh boy was it a mis-sell. Actually very serious topics tackled and very well written I thought. Of course there are some terrible books as well!
    Last edited by belfastgirl23; 16-01-2020 at 9:00 PM.

• elsien
    • By elsien 16th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 20,559 Posts
    • 52,445 Thanks
    elsien
    Just finished Grace, by Paul Lynch.
    It's set on the Irish famine and has the heroine going through more than her fair share of trials and tribulations but I found it very readable. As much a coming of age book as anything else.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Jan 20, 11:37 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    It is a serious subject, it's about a quadriplegic wanting to end his life in Switzerland, brave topic I suppose but I didn't love it. I borrowed it from the library along with the sequel but I am returning both without reading the sequel.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    In fairness I felt the two sequels were a natural follow ons and not forced like most ...but I guess if the first one didn't float your boat then the sequels certainly won't.

Just started My Lovely Wife....another R&J book club choice. Hasn't gripped me yet but will give it a few more nights read.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jan 20, 1:59 PM
    • 17,027 Posts
    • 145,874 Thanks
    JackieO
    Oh could I join? Iíve set myself a target of 100 books in 2020 partly as a way to reduce social media time and reducing my book mountain. And partly cos Iím not finding engaging with the real world overly rewarding at the minute. So far Iím 9 in, but thatís cos I didnít go back to work til the 8th and cos the weather has been so awful.

If you want a light read to bring up your numbers, Me by Elton John was really fun.
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    I too am not a great lover of his music ,but having seen the film I look forward to reading the book. The film is just amazing and how he is still alive God knows
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 17th Jan 20, 4:37 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 15,713 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    I too am not a great lover of his music ,but having seen the film I look forward to reading the book. The film is just amazing and how he is still alive God knows
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Ooh I actually have a copy of the film but havenít got around to watching it. We can try it each way and see which is best

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jan 20, 5:57 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Ooh I actually have a copy of the film but havenít got around to watching it. We can try it each way and see which is best
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    Brace yourself, I heard that his mum was horrid to him.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 17th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 15,713 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Brace yourself, I heard that his mum was horrid to him.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    She was certainly bad enough in the book!

• belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 18th Jan 20, 8:56 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 15,713 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Just watched Rocket Man and I really enjoyed it. The opening was just fantastic and i thought that it did a good job of being faithful to the book without being slavish to it.

By the way his mum was way worse in the book! You should see how she behaved over his wedding to David Furnish.
    Last edited by belfastgirl23; 18-01-2020 at 9:04 PM.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 20, 1:02 AM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 2:

7/10. I picked this up last year thinking it would be insightful and a quick read. I was right on the first point, but so very wrong on the second!! It took me far longer to read than I expected because my knowledge of US politics is so patchy. To get the best out of the book and understand the context of all the statements made, I had to keep putting it down and catching up on history. This book was written just before he was elected president, and something of an unknown quantity at the time. Although overall my opinion of Obama has heightened (I liked him anyway) I don't agree with some of his voting decisions. What hasn't changed is my opinion if US politics: extremely dirty and full of nasty people. And the electorate is just on another planet - confirmed when I saw the footage of pro-gun protesters in Virginia this evening. Overall, I'm grateful to live here and not the US.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,878Posts Today

5,659Users online

Martin's Twitter