Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 9th Jan 20, 9:16 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 511Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    Bookworms 2020
    • 9th Jan 20, 9:16 AM
    Bookworms 2020 9th Jan 20 at 9:16 AM
    I looked for the old thread, but thought a new one for the New Year would be appropriate. Here goes:

Just finished 'Three Things about Elsie' by Joanna Cannon.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! An old woman looking back on her life as she waits for someone to find her after a fall. It includes a mystery. Beautiful imagery and even better than her first book.

Just reading 'The Never Game' by Jeffrey Deaver - not a Lincoln Rhyme, but a new lone-wolf investigator. Good so far. I think I've solved it, but with Deaver, there's bound to be umpteen twists.
Page 1
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 9th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 7,489 Thanks
    carolbee
    • 9th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    • 9th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    Iíve got that to read next. Just read Holiday SOS, about a doctor who goes to the rescue of insured people injured/ill overseas and brings them back. Very interesting!
    Carolbee
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 9th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    Thanks for starting a new thread, Polly!

Loved it, loved it, loved it! An old woman looking back on her life as she waits for someone to find her after a fall. It includes a mystery. Beautiful imagery and even better than her first book.
    Originally posted by Pollyflinders
    I loved "The Trouble With Goats And Sheep" so have P'inned this.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 9th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    gt568
    • 9th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    Thank god this thread has been started. So much inspiration on the last one.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Jan 20, 7:19 PM
    • 7,964 Posts
    • 54,807 Thanks
    Gers
    • 9th Jan 20, 7:19 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 7:19 PM
    I'm revisiting the Slough House / Slow Horses series by Mick Herron in anticipation of the latest book release in February.

These books are about 'rejected' MI6 agents put out to grass yet still manage to be in the thick of it. Very enjoyable.
    • betasam
    • By betasam 10th Jan 20, 7:59 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    betasam
    • 10th Jan 20, 7:59 AM
    • 10th Jan 20, 7:59 AM
    Hi! I am aiming to read 52 books this year to try and reduce the mountain of unread books in the house.

Finishes so far this year:

1. Alaskan Holiday by Debbie Macomber - OK for a quick read over Christmas, but not her best work!

2. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - looking at what influences those who are exceptional in their field. Really interesting.

In progress:

Stories of the law and how it's broken by The Secret Barrister, Maurice by E M Forster.

I often use your recommendations to expand my wish list! Thanks for your contributions!

Sam
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 10th Jan 20, 9:24 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    • 10th Jan 20, 9:24 AM
    • 10th Jan 20, 9:24 AM
    I really enjoyed The Secret Barrister.

Will be on child care duty in the USA at the end if the month, so I'll need a well-loaded kindle. The weather will be cold!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 46,322 Thanks
    dolly84
    • 10th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 10th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    I'd like to join in with this. I'm doing the '100 books to read before you die', some of them are great choices and some are pretentious. I will not be reading the entire works of Shakespeare, I've read a couple but they are not for me.

I've just read (again) The Woman in Black, I love to read this or Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse at Christmas. I am currently reading You Before Me by Jo Jo Moyes, it is ok and I will finish it but some of the dialogue from the characters is a bit amateurish.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jan 20, 11:50 AM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Jan 20, 11:50 AM
    • 10th Jan 20, 11:50 AM
    This was one of the ones I started but never finished last year. The early lesson I drew was that a day in court is anything but fair, so just be lawful and pray that day will never come.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Jan 20, 1:13 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I looked for the old thread, but thought a new one for the New Year would be appropriate. Here goes:

Just reading 'The Never Game' by Jeffrey Deaver - not a Lincoln Rhyme, but a new lone-wolf investigator. Good so far. I think I've solved it, but with Deaver, there's bound to be umpteen twists.

I too loved this book - I listened to the audible version and was known to sit in the car so that I could finish a 'chapter'. If you love this then in the same vein try Life, Death & Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair. Again was well known for sitting in the car so that I could 'finish' a chapter.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Polly!

I loved "The Trouble With Goats And Sheep" so have P'inned this.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Yes I need to get back into my reading habit so it's another thanks from me as well!

Read TTWGAS when it was a Richard & Judy Book Club recommendation but, unusually for their recommendations, I thought it was a bit meh.

As is my current read, another one of their recommendations, The Butterfly Room by Lucinda Riley. In fact it's worse than meh but as it was the only thing I had to read whilst on a cruise and I've invested so much time reading it I'll finish it .....just glad I got the book from the library and didn't spend any money on buying it.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 10th Jan 20, 4:17 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    I read 'Vanilla Slices' ac few years ago. Enjoyed that, too.
    • Elisheba
    • By Elisheba 10th Jan 20, 6:12 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Elisheba
    I was reading To War with the Walkers by Annabel Venning, but the library loan ran out and it had been requested so I couldn't renew it. So annoying! It was very good.
    I'm also reading the most recent Percy Jackson book, think it's the 3rd in the Apollo trials series, and a Cassandra Clare book I bought recently on a Kindle deal before my 2020 self imposed moritorium on book buying.
    Consume less. Live more.
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 10th Jan 20, 7:47 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion is a read from 2019 but I'll sneak it in here as it's very good. A genetics professor develops a questionnaire to find his perfect woman. Some laugh out loud moments but also poignant in places.
    I also loved 3 Things about Elsie and Vanilla Slices. I enjoyed Elizabeth is Missing as well. The BBC dramatisation was good but inevitably it couldn't capture the subtle, slower developments in the book.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jan 20, 7:54 PM
    • 20,559 Posts
    • 52,445 Thanks
    elsien

Will be on child care duty in the USA at the end if the month, so I'll need a well-loaded kindle. The weather will be cold!
    That's on my list.
    This year's unputdownable so far was "The silence of the girls" by Pat Barker. Siege of Troy from the perspective of the captured women, which sounds a bit lethal but it wasn't a war book as such. Can definitely recommend.

The Rosie Project has a sequel which I didn't find quite as good but wasn't bad.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 11th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    That's on my list.
    This year's unputdownable so far was "The silence of the girls" by Pat Barker. Siege of Troy from the perspective of the captured women, which sounds a bit lethal but it wasn't a war book as such. Can definitely recommend.

The Rosie Project has a sequel which I didn't find quite as good but wasn't bad.
    Originally posted by elsien

Oh, yes, the whole of my book group loved The Silence of the Girls.

It was engrossing and brought the Trojan wars to life in a new way.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jan 20, 10:54 AM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I enjoyed Elizabeth is Missing as well. The BBC dramatisation was good but inevitably it couldn't capture the subtle, slower developments in the book.
    Originally posted by Blackcats
    It didn't, but they couldn't have cast better than Glenda Jackson. She was incredible, I thought this was an award winning performance.

Finished my first book of the year, 8/10:

I can't explain why I like it, there is something really nice about the author's observational style and it's either the kind of book that will bore you, or the kind you don't want to end! For that reason I read it slowly. He's the thinking reader's Maeve Binchy (which I'm not sure he would see a compliment!).

• Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 11th Jan 20, 12:49 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 24,101 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Hello. I'm hoping for less social media time and more kindle time this year. Will be back soon to share my first read of the year

• Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 11th Jan 20, 4:01 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Just finished 'Doing Time' by Jodie Taylor. It's an offshoot of her 'Chronicles of St Mary's ' which I am a huge fan of.

It appeals to the sci-fi nerd in me.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 14th Jan 20, 6:10 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 5,480 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    hello everyone

I think I have to put Three things about Elsie on my wishlist too, I almost bought it a while ago...

I plan on reading 52 books again this year, narrowly managed it in 2019 by reading two very short books in December to reach my goal.I got 3 books for Christmas plus money to buy more books and had a gift card that was expiring, so I now basically have everything from my wishlist....

I got the three Sarah Waters novels I don't yet have, Fingersmith, Tipping the velvet and Affinity. Then I ordered Calling Mayor Tom by David M. Barnet, Fighting Fit by Laura Dawes, Alice in Wonderland, The prime of MIss Jane Brodie and The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow. So that will keep me busy for a while, along with all my other unread books...

1. a German book about a Polish girl whom the Nazis took from her family and gave to a German couple for adoption because she looked Aryan...

2. The night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    Very nice fantasy novel, took me a while to read with all the jumps back and forth in time, but eventually you get the hang of it and the story starts to make sense.

3. The last of our kind - Adelaide de Clermont-Tonnerre
    Am not yet that far and almost put it down again because the first two pages were rubbish (it was really the sort of thing you get as a "how not to" example when learning how to write a first chapter) but I think it has potential...
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • betasam
    • By betasam 14th Jan 20, 8:43 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    betasam
    3. Maurice by EM Forster. It has taken me a year to finish this book. I think it is the fourth Forster novel that I have read and I didn't like any of them! I didn't like the protagonist in this one. I shall put Forster in the 'not for me' pile.

Currently reading The Secret Barrister ( this is our 'book at bedtime' so progress will be slow as it is being read aloud) and The Devil's Apprentice by Edward Marston.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

5,393Users online

Martin's Twitter