Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • megyork
    • By megyork 8th Jan 20, 11:10 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    megyork
    4100 KWH of gas in 5 weeks / 1 month
    • 8th Jan 20, 11:10 AM
    4100 KWH of gas in 5 weeks / 1 month 8th Jan 20 at 11:10 AM
    Hi everyone

I live in a 5 bed student property and we are supplied by glide, weíve been with glide since 30th October 2019 and from then until 2nd December 2019 (based on our meter readings) weíve use 4141kwh of gas!
    Iím so confused as to how weíve used so much, and bard on this usage they are estimating we need to pay a further £1500 at the end of our tenancy (end of July 2020). We pay £78 per month in total for gas and £90 per month in total for electricity, and with that we have an allowance of 278kwh electricity and 1238kwh of gas.
    Initially we had problems with the boiler as it didnít pair with the heating remote, but I now believe this is fixed.

I have taken photos of all meter readings and the 4141kwh is based on readings not estimates but we are baffled how itís so high, when te house feels so cool, I know itís a old house and not well insulate and high ceilings but we canít afford to be paying an extra 1400 (total £3000+) for gas and electric in a 9 month period!

Any tips or advice would be appreciated
    I know were a large household and we should use more but idk how this is normal

Thanks in advance
Page 3
    • andy111
    • By andy111 9th Jan 20, 7:43 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    andy111
    megyork, it seems Glide are well known for their high costs and nefarious penalty schemes for leaving.

Beware Glide Utilities
    21st Dec 17 at 1:36 PM

When my daughter moved into her new student house in August this year the previous tenants had used Glide as the utilities provider. Her tenancy was from the 1st July, however, access was only allowed on 1st August. She applied to change providers immediately but, accoarding to the new provider Glide refused to activate the switch. Electricity was eventually switched in September and gas took until the end of October.
    Glide have just sent the bill for payment and as well as the rate charged being significantly above her rate with the new provider the standing charge of over 62p per day for electricity is little short of daylight robbery.
    My daughter has spoken to Glide on the phone but they say there is nothing they can do as the charges are fixed.
    Glide appear to be taking advantage of their student customers, so just a warning to anyone considering this company. Look elsewhere!!

Also this
    Hi, I have recently moved in to a rented property and the previous tenants were with Glide energy. We have chosen to switch to Co-Operative energy as their prices are much better. We've been hit with the bill from the last 2 months from Glide which is about £49.32. This seemed like a lot, seeing as we'd barely been in the house at all over summer since taking up tenancy. After speaking with Glide today they have told me that the price is in fact £49.32 PER PERSON for the two month period! they will also charge us an extra £24.66 each for next month, even though we will be switching over to Co-Op in the first week or two.

Glide work on a standing charge basis so regardless of energy used we will have to pay the £24.66 per month until we change.

It seems completely unfair to me to be expected to pay such a huge amount of money to a company that I have never signed a contract with or even spoken to up until today. Especially seeing as we've used barely energy from them! I have been used to paying slightly higher bills upon taking up tenancy in a new rented property before the energy suppliers have been switched, but this is ridiculous!

Disgraceful abuse and exploitation,

What you need to do speak to Glide and find the exact cost of leaving. The two posts above are a few years old, but they even charged each tenant for the month after leaving. The rule may have changed but not by much I would imagine.

When you have some idea of the cost then use a comparison site to fine a cheaper supplier at probably one third of the cost.

However, my belief is with penalty costs, and the summer moths meaning far less energy usage, and the tenancy ending in probably 5 or 6 months you will not save enough on your new cheaper tariff to cover the costs of the penalties to leave Glide, so effectively you are locked in to these bandits.
    Last edited by andy111; 09-01-2020 at 8:02 AM.
    • megyork
    • By megyork 9th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    megyork
    Regarding the energy used for the month away:

Electricity use is very high. You could maybe check totally what is switched on. Is it more than just the fridge freezer? In round figures, with empty property, you are in round figures using 10kWh per day. That is ridiculous. Make sure you are not reading the meter and including a decimal point digit! Our much smaller property background consumption is about 2kWh perday with lots connected. You need to investigate.

Gas being high too, frost protection is valid possibility but it has not been that cold (you currently mention 12degrees but it might have avereged 6 inside the property over the period. Hardly low enough to trigger much frost protection.
    You may well have leak or other problem so get the gas system checked. The Landlord should get this done for you but even if you call in a gas safe registered engineer they can very easily do a pressure check to check for leaks or 'unknown' consumption. As renters you should have info from the landlord regarding current safety certification. Search landlord responsibilities or tennants rights to get info.

I agree with what has been posted regarding the learning process and the exeedingly expensive tariff you are on. I concurr with standing charge and energy use figures other have posted.

How about?
    Get in touch with Martin Lewis on his current programme (Itv) and pass by him all your financial arrangements as it seem you all have a lot to learn - but at least you have made a start!
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    as far as I am aware, the only appliance on over the period was the fridge, from looking around the house its the only thing constantly on.
    the meter is a Siemens one, an old one which has a few different rates (Siemens 1996 meter, would attach image but not allowed to)

I do know the boiler is old, so not sure if its just running inefficiently. I have asked the landlord today for the gas certificate and the boiler manual to have a look over it and see if anything stands out. This will take them a while tho as at the moment we are also having disagreements about the fridge and its size complying with HMO regulations in Nottingham.

In regards to this being a 'lesson' - very unfair, as students who live with strangers we either get scammed by suppliers, landlord or other students (not paying their part of the bill as not a legal obligation), if we aren't getting robbed of our deposits its by high bills for houses that are falling apart and growing mould! I may 75£ a week for a room with a shared bathroom, in an area that I wouldn't walk alone at night in!
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 9th Jan 20, 11:39 AM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Gerry1
    What a sad state of affairs, people living under the same roof being so distrustful of each other that they prefer to line the pockets of a scammer (to the tune of a thousand pounds per year or whatever) rather than set up a kitty system.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 9th Jan 20, 11:41 AM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Do not take umbridge at the comments about 'lesson'. They are not meant to antagonise but just for you all to take note and put some of the unfortunate experience to part of the !earning process. I sure you will now go in to similar situations with your eyes more open. A pity it will be so costly for you.

You could do a meter 'test' to indicate if your Siemens meter is reading at least in the right ball park. With only the fridge/freezer running take a reading of the meter and another say 10 hours later such as an overnight period. Multiply the unit difference by 100 and that will give you the number of watts being consumed. That is your background use and is likely to be about 200 watts.....or ought to be!
    Now connect in addition a heater (1kW or 2 kW). Repeat the before and after reading with tbe heater full on for an hour or two. The units should increase by power (kW of heater) x time of test (in hours) thus a 2kW heater for two hours results in 4 units (4 kWh) that will cost you a pound or two but give you valuable information. The longer the test the more accurate the result but the greater the cost!

Post back your results.

Hope you get the gas test soon. If you see the gas meter clocking up use when all is definately off then suspect a leak and call in British Gas on their emergency number. That should not cost you anything and might just be a life saver!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Jan 20, 2:39 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I cannot believe Ofgem sanction this practice. It might be worth contacting them, OP.

If nothing else, whatever your views on the posts on this thread, life lessons are always valuable if often painful.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 10th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Gerry1
    Ofgem couldn't care less. They'd just say the the students chose that supplier of their own free will, the prices are clearly displayed, other suppliers are available hence they are free to switch if they find that Glide / Ovo no longer meets their needs.

It's the sort of thing that Student Unions should be warning about during freshers' week, but they're far too busy being snowflakes and No Platforming people with whom they do not agree.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Ofgem couldn't care less. They'd just say the the students chose that supplier of their own free will, the prices are clearly displayed, other suppliers are available hence they are free to switch if they find that Glide / Ovo no longer meets their needs.

It's the sort of thing that Student Unions should be warning about during freshers' week, but they're far too busy being snowflakes and No Platforming people with whom they do not agree.
    Originally posted by Gerry1
    I don't actually know what that last bit means, Gerry1, but can guess.

I still maintain the parents/guardians are to blame: How can you possibly attain the age of 18 and get into university (however easy that may now be) yet know nothing about the most basic facts of life? By which I mean how much utilities and other basic necessities cost so settle down, y'all.

... Since when do you have to be an economics student to know how to use a comparison site, fcs?
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • megyork
    • By megyork 10th Jan 20, 3:51 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    megyork
    Do not take umbridge at the comments about 'lesson'. They are not meant to antagonise but just for you all to take note and put some of the unfortunate experience to part of the !earning process. I sure you will now go in to similar situations with your eyes more open. A pity it will be so costly for you.

You could do a meter 'test' to indicate if your Siemens meter is reading at least in the right ball park. With only the fridge/freezer running take a reading of the meter and another say 10 hours later such as an overnight period. Multiply the unit difference by 100 and that will give you the number of watts being consumed. That is your background use and is likely to be about 200 watts.....or ought to be!
    Now connect in addition a heater (1kW or 2 kW). Repeat the before and after reading with tbe heater full on for an hour or two. The units should increase by power (kW of heater) x time of test (in hours) thus a 2kW heater for two hours results in 4 units (4 kWh) that will cost you a pound or two but give you valuable information. The longer the test the more accurate the result but the greater the cost!

Post back your results.

Hope you get the gas test soon. If you see the gas meter clocking up use when all is definately off then suspect a leak and call in British Gas on their emergency number. That should not cost you anything and might just be a life saver!
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice

for the heater - does this have to be an electric plug in one to test?

would a gas oven / cooker work then the boiler is off?

I am not currently In the property, but I will do the test overnight when am back and post what I find! thank you
    • megyork
    • By megyork 10th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    megyork
    I called the company and spoke to the billing team, after being on the phone for an HOUR and despite telling us in numerous emails and starting our charges entitle us to a yearly allowance, for which if we are under we revive a refund and for which we are over we have to pay more, that INFACT there is no such thing as an allowance...

That the amount we pay each month just goes towards what the bill COULD be.

in the process of cancelling, but is a joke that they can advertise one thing and do another.
    the entire point of using them was to maintain a steady payment and try and keep within what usage the payment entitles us to

all seems like a huge joke to them
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 10th Jan 20, 4:12 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Gerry1
    So it's working in EXACTLY the same way as a conventional fixed direct debit operated by a conventional energy supplier, except that there are five named direct debitees instead of one.

They're adding hefty management charges, and gullible students are paying them because they don't like talking to each other.

The joke is on you. No wonder Glide are laughing - all the way to the bank !
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Jan 20, 6:00 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice

would a gas oven / cooker work then the boiler is off?
    Depends where you switch off the boiler! If you switch of the boiler on it's control unit or programmer you will not affect the oven/cooker. It has separate controls.
    If you turn off the gas supply then everything using that supply will be off....but that is not something to do lightly. Not normally done except during maintenance, test or emergency.

Any electric heater, plug in or otherwise is suitable provided it is not too high power (2kW is fine in a 13amp socket.) but make sure it is on (actually heating) all the time of the test. For this you might have to turn it's thermostat (if it has one) up full.
    • andy111
    • By andy111 10th Jan 20, 7:29 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    andy111
    The bad news for students is ( from a Glide representative);

"We are a company that was set up by students for students, so we aim to be fair and clear about the way our service works as we understand that students don’t want the hassle of juggling utility bills. "

Who would have guessed?

Using their tariff over a year for a 3 bed house usage elec 3100kw/h and gas12500kw/h comes to £1840.

Using the best on comparison site ie 12p and 3.46p comes to £894. So about double.

Glide are allowed to set the tariff as they are an appointed agent of Ecotricity.

The usual suspiciously good reports on Trustpilot tell you everything. contrary to just about every other report about them online.

Having read their very comprehensive and punitive terms and conditions and then the reports how strictly they adhere to them with little or absolutely no flexibility this gloating company must have some very wealthy ex student founders.
    Last edited by andy111; 10-01-2020 at 8:13 PM.
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 10th Jan 20, 7:36 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    Swipe
    "We are a company that was set up by students for students"
    Originally posted by andy111

Sounds like they are taking advantage of other students to pay off their own student loans.
    • andy111
    • By andy111 10th Jan 20, 7:54 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    andy111
    Some of the stories online are mind blowing.
    It truly is the slaughter of the innocents.

I'd advise them going to the Students' union - but they're probably in on it as well.

Seriously advice should be forthcoming from somewhere, we know it's not illegal but it certainly is very, very sharp business practice.
    • megyork
    • By megyork 13th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    megyork
    The bad news for students is ( from a Glide representative);

"We are a company that was set up by students for students, so we aim to be fair and clear about the way our service works as we understand that students donít want the hassle of juggling utility bills. "

Who would have guessed?

Using their tariff over a year for a 3 bed house usage elec 3100kw/h and gas12500kw/h comes to £1840.

Using the best on comparison site ie 12p and 3.46p comes to £894. So about double.

Glide are allowed to set the tariff as they are an appointed agent of Ecotricity.

The usual suspiciously good reports on Trustpilot tell you everything. contrary to just about every other report about them online.

Having read their very comprehensive and punitive terms and conditions and then the reports how strictly they adhere to them with little or absolutely no flexibility this gloating company must have some very wealthy ex student founders.
    Originally posted by andy111
    I have had a quick look with Uswitch and found a few providers who look to have much better prices, as someone who's not familiar with good companies, is NPOWER any good? they were one of the companies who's name I recognised but doesn't always mean they are good

in terms of the suspiciously good reviews of Glide, they offer customers £5 credit if they leave a good review, ive been sent the link a good few times but won't be leaving any reviews
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 13th Jan 20, 3:36 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Gerry1
    is NPOWER any good?
    Originally posted by megyork
    Middling, according to Citizens Advice.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415573

Npower are part of E.On and will disappear.
    I
    in terms of the suspiciously good reviews of Glide, they offer customers £5 credit if they leave a good review, ive been sent the link a good few times but won't be leaving any reviews
    Originally posted by megyork
    Please report them for breaking Trustpilot Rule 1.4: "Companies may not offer an incentive to Users to write positive reviews or to remove negative reviews or in any other way offer incentives in a biased way (for example offering free shipping with the next purchase)"
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Jan 20, 3:09 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Middling, according to Citizens Advice.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415573

Npower are part of E.On and will disappear.Please report them for breaking Trustpilot Rule 1.4: "Companies may not offer an incentive to Users to write positive reviews or to remove negative reviews or in any other way offer incentives in a biased way (for example offering free shipping with the next purchase)"

NPower are part of Eon? News to me. There is even less excuse for Eon's woefully poor website if this is the case; nPower's is the best I have seen and, if they would just come up with some competitive tariffs for my area, I would switch back to them in a heartbeat. HTH, OP.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 14th Jan 20, 5:36 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Gerry1
    NPower are part of Eon? News to me.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    It's been known about for over a year.

https://www.npower.com/npower-and-eon/questions/

https://selectra.co.uk/energy/news/market/npower-eon-merger-jobs#

BTW, my remarks about breaking Trustpilot rules relate to Glide, not to Npower.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    It's been known about for over a year.

https://www.npower.com/npower-and-eon/questions/

https://selectra.co.uk/energy/news/market/npower-eon-merger-jobs#

BTW, my remarks about breaking Trustpilot rules relate to Glide, not to Npower.
    Guess it's just as well I got my £25 while the going was good as I would have been switched to Eon eventually anyway. Huh.

No wonder nPower are nowhere in the price comparisons. I had already converted the "Big 6" to the "Big 5" in my head because I discount EDF due to their vile t's and c's (not to mention customer service) Now it's the Big 4; the market shrinks which cannot be good for we consumers. Thanks, Gerry1.

I maintain, it is high time Eon woke up and started to use nPower's website capabilities. What is the point of buying out a company if you are not going to take the best aspects and use them yourself?
    • andy111
    • By andy111 15th Jan 20, 7:54 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    andy111
    megyork are you sure your savings will be higher than your leaving penalties?

Your tenancy ends in 5 months are you staying? if so it will be worth changing definitely.

Choose one of the cheapest at the top of the list that does not stipulate you have to have a smart meter as part of their terms.

No one knows how good a company is until they move to them.
    However as a rule of thumb the larger, more expensive have a more stable, trained, knowledgable staff and thus you pay more for a better service.

The smaller companies may have agency staff, no training, and therefore more problems and errors.
    Plus the fact that some are run by crooked CEOs who see a chance to defraud with questionable working practices and downright dishonesty.
    Last edited by andy111; 15-01-2020 at 8:55 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter