Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Teeheedeedee
    • By Teeheedeedee 7th Jan 20, 10:25 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Teeheedeedee
    Help! Is live TV possible w/out Sky
    • 7th Jan 20, 10:25 PM
    Help! Is live TV possible w/out Sky 7th Jan 20 at 10:25 PM
    Hi roomies,

After 10 years I've bit the bullet and cancelled my Sky TV package!

I have Netflix and the On Demand apps on my Phillips Smart TV. It also comes with Freeview Play which doesn't seem to show live TV.

How can I make it a possibility for the odd times I want to catch a live show on the terristrial channels? What tools or gadgets do I need w/out signing up to another subscription service?
Page 1
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 7th Jan 20, 10:47 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 7th Jan 20, 10:47 PM
    • 7th Jan 20, 10:47 PM
    You certainly don’t need another subscription service. You should get live TV with Freeview Play, assuming you have an aerial connected to the TV. If it is just giving you the catch-up services, then I assume that you do not have an aerial connected? You would need this to get live terrestrial channels, which you should get through the TV as well as the catch-up services. Having said that though, some of the catch-up services like iPlayer will give you the option to watch programmes that are currently showing too, so you could get some live TV without an aerial.

Another option is to get a Freesat box to connect up to your Sky cable(s), which although of course will cost some extra money, doesn’t involve a subscription.
    Last edited by tempus_fugit; 07-01-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Teeheedeedee
    • By Teeheedeedee 8th Jan 20, 2:49 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Teeheedeedee
    • 8th Jan 20, 2:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 2:49 AM
    Thank you. I don't have an aerial at the moment as you rightly suspected and I will need to return the sky box when my subscription ends. Is there another benefit to having a free stat box over an aerial? I don't mind one off costs. Will recording be possible with any of these options. It's not a deal breaker, I'm just curious.

Thanks again
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Jan 20, 5:47 AM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 8th Jan 20, 5:47 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 5:47 AM
    I would get an normal aerial installed and use Freeview.
    You could then buy a BT Youview box which will give you similar features to Sky plus.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 20, 5:52 AM
    • 4,438 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Jan 20, 5:52 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 5:52 AM
    Wasn't there a way to get the FTA channels through your Sky box after you ended the contract?

No idea about costs.

ETA

Found. £25 one off cost.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Freesat-from-Sky/ba-p/2806740
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 8th Jan 20, 5:57 AM
    • 6,966 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 8th Jan 20, 5:57 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 5:57 AM
    Hi,

do you still have your old Sky box, could use it for Freesat.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 8th Jan 20, 8:01 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:01 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:01 AM
    Wasn't there a way to get the FTA channels through your Sky box after you ended the contract?

No idea about costs.

ETA

Found. £25 one off cost.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Freesat-from-Sky/ba-p/2806740
    Originally posted by unforeseen

No the FTA channel are just that free to air no card required. The card adds about five FTV channels. However an existing non Sky Q card and box will continue to work and give these five FTV channels anyway
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 8th Jan 20, 8:02 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:02 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:02 AM
    Thank you. I don't have an aerial at the moment as you rightly suspected and I will need to return the sky box when my subscription ends. Is there another benefit to having a free stat box over an aerial? I don't mind one off costs. Will recording be possible with any of these options. It's not a deal breaker, I'm just curious.

Thanks again
    Originally posted by Teeheedeedee
    Is it Sky Q?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 8th Jan 20, 8:08 AM
    • 6,966 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:08 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:08 AM
    Hi,

Is it Sky Q?
    Originally posted by Inner Zone

I took it to be a Sky Q box, as seemingly they need to be returned when contract ends, whereas before you could just keep old box.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 8th Jan 20, 8:21 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Hi,

I took it to be a Sky Q box, as seemingly they need to be returned when contract ends, whereas before you could just keep old box.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal

So did I, but we need to OP to confirm either way. As the suggestion to use a Freesat box above may require addition work.
    • Gizmo247
    • By Gizmo247 8th Jan 20, 11:23 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Gizmo247
    The "tvplayer" app will give access to live tv. You will need to create a login but no need to subscribe to a service to get free live BBC1, BBC2, BBC4, ITV, CH4, CH5 over the internet.
    Last edited by Gizmo247; 08-01-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014
    • cajef
    • By cajef 8th Jan 20, 11:26 AM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 4,198 Thanks
    cajef
    If it is Sky Q the LNB will need to be changed as well as returning the box, when I upgraded to Sky Q and the Sky installer changed the LNB I kept the old one so I could change it back if I cancelled SKY.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    It also comes with Freeview Play which doesn't seem to show live TV.
    Freeview Play is great - but it starts with an aerial and adds on nicely integrated on demand services.

Do you have an aerial? Where do your Sky cables go? You could re-use the cables, which aren't exactly right but would do, and put an aerial in the roofspace.

Is there another benefit to having a free sat box over an aerial?
    A Freesat box will plug in exactly where your Sky box was. If it was Sky Q, you probably need to change the LNB (the bit in the middle of the dish). You'll be able to record if you buy a recorder, which your TV alone won't manage (not well, anyway). You can buy a Freeview, or Freesat recorder. Freesat has a lot more channels than Freeview, but probably not great ones. Freeview has some that Freesat doesn't, too.
    • Teeheedeedee
    • By Teeheedeedee 10th Jan 20, 12:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Teeheedeedee
    I had Sky Q so they now request that I return the box. Additionally I live in a flat so the dish is shared
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Jan 20, 12:58 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    OK Sky Q complicates it a bit because as above, it uses a different LNB to Sky HD and Freesat HD.

How did you get Sky Q installed? When this happened, they would have needed to at least check the shared LNB.

Anyway, what you need, if you want Freesat, is 2 'normal' feeds from the satellite dish. 'Normal' being my definition of everything before Sky Q. It's possible there could be a hybrid LNB, which has both Sky Q and 'normal' outputs. Bottom line, someone needs to see the dish to get any further.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 10th Jan 20, 8:40 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    cranford
    As you live in a flat, if possible check whether there is a communal aerial. There may be a socket somewhere for you to put a coax lead in. This will be the cheapest solution. Failing that you could try a portable aerial such as this one from Argos: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9308332

If its no good just take it back.
    • LawyerX1
    • By LawyerX1 14th Jan 20, 8:21 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    LawyerX1
    Just buy an indoor HD aerial off amazon for a few quid. Itís plug and play.
    • LawyerX1
    • By LawyerX1 14th Jan 20, 8:23 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    LawyerX1
    As you live in a flat, if possible check whether there is a communal aerial. There may be a socket somewhere for you to put a coax lead in. This will be the cheapest solution. Failing that you could try a portable aerial such as this one from Argos
    If its no good just take it back.
    Originally posted by cranford
    Who even uses Argos anymore when you have amazon....for half the price. *facepalm*
    • cranford
    • By cranford 14th Jan 20, 12:37 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    cranford
    Millions still use Argos! Easy to take things back and many people are adverse to using Amazon when they pay minimum UK taxes ie £220 millions on sales of £10.9 billions.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 14th Jan 20, 8:57 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    Who even uses Argos anymore when you have amazon....for half the price. *facepalm*
    Originally posted by LawyerX1
    3-12 months interest free credit (if you are lucky enough to have a pre-approved Argos card).
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,246Posts Today

7,812Users online

Martin's Twitter