Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 7th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    • 1,507Posts
    • 762Thanks
    slopemaster
    mail forwarding problems
    • 7th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    mail forwarding problems 7th Jan 20 at 6:32 PM
    I have my mail forwarded from my old house, to where I now live abroad. It's worked mostly fine for several months but now I'm getting someone else's mail.

I' ve done the obvious ie forwarded it to them, and complained to Royal Mail. But no answer from RM after several days. What now?

This wasn't a one-off error; four separate pieces of mail arrived over a few days, all for the same person, whose name and address are nothing like mine.

Ironic that RM push their forwarding service to avoid the risk of identity theft - and then send me someone else's bank statements and personal correspondance!

I have no idea whether they are also receiving mine - hopefully if so they will let me know.
    But I am half expecting the mail which I sent back to them, to be forwarded to me again!

I have already decided to find another solution next year.
    And I suppose RM may respond eventually.
    But in the meantime, does anyone have any idea why or how this is happening? Or what I can do to get a response?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • ethank
    • By ethank 7th Jan 20, 6:37 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    ethank
    • 7th Jan 20, 6:37 PM
    • 7th Jan 20, 6:37 PM
    Normally very good service - did this happen over Christmas when lots of temporary staff employed?
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 7th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 7th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    I am also having mail forwarded from my father as he's in care and I'm looking after his affairs under an LPA. I got 2 separate Christmas cards to entirely different people with very different names and whilst geographically close to him, the address was different enough that there shouldn't have been any confusion at all.

I occasionally get mail forwarded that's addressed to my late mother, even though I didn't add her name to the redirection (as it costs and it's only occasional junk to her) where most still gets delivered to the property - which we do visit regularly.

So their service isn't infallible and because of Christmas volume and me then going down with flu, I just ignored it on this occasion. I didn't forward or return the cards as they were commercial marketing ones from companies, so I didn't think they'd be missed.
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 7th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Not all of it was over Christmas - the latest one to arrive was just yesterday.
    Though maybe they're still clearing the backlog
    Last edited by slopemaster; 07-01-2020 at 6:52 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jan 20, 7:15 PM
    • 51,189 Posts
    • 64,227 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jan 20, 7:15 PM
    • 7th Jan 20, 7:15 PM
    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/307/~/how-do-i-make-a-complaint%3F

Have you kept full details of each item?
    Date received
    Name of recipient
    address of recipient

The more info you can provide, the more likely they can trace.
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 7th Jan 20, 9:29 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 7th Jan 20, 9:29 PM
    • 7th Jan 20, 9:29 PM
    Thanks GM, but that's the page contacted them via.
    If they don't reply to my e-mail in a few more days I suppose I might try writing...
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 8th Jan 20, 8:35 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:35 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 8:35 AM
    I did finally get a reply today, though only to say they will look into it...
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 8th Jan 20, 9:45 AM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 8th Jan 20, 9:45 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 9:45 AM
    I am also having mail forwarded from my father as he's in care and I'm looking after his affairs under an LPA. I got 2 separate Christmas cards to entirely different people with very different names and whilst geographically close to him, the address was different enough that there shouldn't have been any confusion at all.

I occasionally get mail forwarded that's addressed to my late mother, even though I didn't add her name to the redirection (as it costs and it's only occasional junk to her) where most still gets delivered to the property - which we do visit regularly.

So their service isn't infallible and because of Christmas volume and me then going down with flu, I just ignored it on this occasion. I didn't forward or return the cards as they were commercial marketing ones from companies, so I didn't think they'd be missed.
    Originally posted by BooJewels
    The redirection is for surname, assuming your late mother had the same as your father, this is why it works for her as well.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 8th Jan 20, 10:46 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:46 AM
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:46 AM
    The redirection is for surname, assuming your late mother had the same as your father, this is why it works for her as well.
    Originally posted by sal_III
    Except it isn't. It's for individual names (imagine if a couple separate and one moves out, or an older child moves to their own place, you wouldn't want a blanket re-direction for the family surname if half the family remain at the original address) and for the most part, my Mother's mail still gets delivered to the house. But the odd one makes it through.

The form asks for the addresses and each individual name to redirect. It's a blanket redirection fee for the first individual/address and additional fees (10 I think) for each extra person.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Jan 20, 4:22 PM
    • 35,247 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    custardy
    Thanks GM, but that's the page contacted them via.
    If they don't reply to my e-mail in a few more days I suppose I might try writing...
    Originally posted by slopemaster
    Forget writing. Hit them up on Twitter @royalmailhelp
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 9th Jan 20, 8:36 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    ah yes. I don't really do social media so I didn't immediately think of it, but I'm sure that's a good plan if I'm not getting a response
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 9th Jan 20, 11:36 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Today received more mail for members of the same family, incl another bank statement...
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 9th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    diggingdude
    what is your long term plan as can't redirect for ever
    House owner as of 27.3.2019
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 10th Jan 20, 12:43 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    what is your long term plan as can't redirect for ever
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    http://www.boatmail.co.uk/index.html
    as from next year, something like this
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 10th Jan 20, 3:45 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Its turning into an interesting problem.

I obvs want to get his important mail to this person, and find out whether he has any of mine - but suspect that the items I've sent back to his UK address won't reach him as they will just get re-forwarded to me.

As Royal Mail tell me they're "investigating" but I don't really trust that they are, I decided to look for this person myself, as his name is not too common. I think I have found the right one, because he moved abroad roughly the same time I did so will also be getting international re-direction from the same city as me.

I didn't find an e-mail address but i have contacted a previous employer asking them to forward a message to him. I just hope he doesn't think it's weird and stalker-ish!
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 15th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Well, I'm now in contact with the person whose mail I've been getting, and sure enough, he's been getting (some of) mine too.
    He has just received a PIN sent out to me.

Unbelievably outrageously incompetent. (So much so, its kind of funny.)

Still no response from Royal Mail although I sent 2 reminders and also a tweet. He is of course going to get in touch with them as well.

Will post again when one of us gets a response
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 15th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Thanks for the update - I was thinking about this earlier when I appeared to get another erroneous Christmas card, but their writing was just poor and they spelled his name wrong.

However, bank details and PINs are in another league from Christmas cards. You said their name and address were very different from yours? In my case, whilst they read very different - if you stood outside my Dad's house, you could almost see this other one - in that the road changes name at a bend and each house was one side of it. Plus it was the wrong gender too.

I wish I'd kept mine now, I could add some solidarity and complain too.
    • gazebo
    • By gazebo 15th Jan 20, 7:05 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    gazebo
    Is it possible you both have redirections in place within the same delivery office and the postal workers have accidentally muddled up the stickers?

To explain - when a redirection is set up, the relevant delivery duty will receive a card and batch of stickers which are normally kept in a small plastic folder.

We don't get a lot of international redirections, but they have an extra sticker to apply correct postage.

When taking out the batch of stickers, it could be entirely possible the postie has placed the wrong ones back in to corresponding folders - thus, you are getting mail for another person and vice versa.

The card holding the information will show old address and new address. I'd suggest you ask the deliver office to look at the stickers to ensure they have the correct new address on them and if not, to check the other international redirection items they hold to get it sorted out.

A mistake, which is really easy to make and will be attributed to human error, but one which is easy to spot if you pay attention.
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 16th Jan 20, 7:49 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Yes, gazebo, it sounds like that is exactly what must have happened.

Our names are nothing like each other, nor are our addresses, nor our post codes. But we are both in the same town, and close enough that it could well be the same delivery. And both international redirections, although not to the same country.

Sounds easy enough to diagnose and correct - except that they haven't!
    Unless you can suggest anything gazebo, I have no way of contacting the local delivery office as I am in another country. So I need the RM complaints people to do it - and they, it seems, can't be bothered!

It is now 12 days since I contacted them.

Is there a way to escalate this I wonder?
    EDIT
    Website says ""If you are not happy with the reply you can escalate your case to the Escalated Customer Resolution Team"" but I find NO details of how to contact them...
    Last edited by slopemaster; 16-01-2020 at 7:58 AM.
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 16th Jan 20, 7:51 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Gazebo's explanation would fit what happened to BooJewels too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter