Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 7th Jan 20, 10:17 AM
    • 927Posts
    • 1,045Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Anyone doing a dry January 2020? - join me!
    • 7th Jan 20, 10:17 AM
    Anyone doing a dry January 2020? - join me! 7th Jan 20 at 10:17 AM
    Hello there!
    Is anyone else out there doing attempting a dry January this year? I'd like to go for it but have not found anyone in my circle of friends to join. Everyone says - yes, we'll support you (but you're on your own) as far as any of them joining me goes. Why is this? Is it really so hard to go one month without any alcohol?
    I'm not a big drinker but like few drinks at the weekend, especially my gin & tonic on Fridays after work to mark the end of the working week. I tend to have wine with my meals at the weekend too, mostly really because OH is bit of a foodie and likes wine, so there's always a bottle (or two) open.
    I have done dry January once before - long time ago - and found that after the first 2 weeks it got easy and I was just as happy to have my gin & tonic without the gin.
    I'm not expecting to feel much different but I am hoping that cutting off alcohol will help towards losing 2kg that I've seemed to have put on during the festivities.... I'm not a fan of diets, so am trying to cut out the unnecessary calories (alcohol, cakes, biscuits, ice cream - but NOT dark chocolate )
Page 3
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jan 20, 1:09 PM
    • 20,537 Posts
    • 52,419 Thanks
    elsien
    I don't feel any different as yet.
    Sleep is still all over the place, which was my main motivation. Decided not to have a drink for the relative's birthday, might as well carry on being good for now.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 14th Jan 20, 4:06 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    engineer amy
    That's brilliant.

Another benefit I noticed - I checked my fitbit stats and my average resting heart rate over a 30 day period which was consistently around 88 throughout December has dropped right off since the turn of the year and is now 62!
    Originally posted by stripeyfox

I started my exercise programme with my PT on 2nd November. Resting heart rate was 69 then, Saturday 11th January it was 59. its currently showing 56 today, but I only officially record it on my weigh in days which is a Saturday
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 67462.74 Jun 2019
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 14th Jan 20, 6:17 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Been to the gym everyday, had 4 PT sessions and managed to run 5k. I hate running, but I need to increase my cardio as im mainly into weightlifting. It was a very slow 5k, but I didn't stop to walk at any point and I got it done. now my personal challenge is to improve my time over the next couple of weeks.
    PS I also lost 6lbs between 4th and 11th Jan
    Originally posted by engineer amy
    Well done - that's really really good!
    I managed my 3 x minimum exercises last week but missed out on the Sunday morning jog which would have been a bonus (no excuse other than skiving.... as had my minimum target reached!).
    This week is NOT looking great from exercise point of view. Working from home Mon to Thu and glued to my laptop This is why I don't like working from home.... grrrrr.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 15th Jan 20, 8:32 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    engineer amy
    im getting a tattoo done on Friday, its an all day sitting and it is gonna kill me sitting on my a55 all day. I will need to get my 10k steps done before 11am!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 15th Jan 20, 9:10 AM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 29,937 Thanks
    thriftylass
    My husbands seems more relaxed now but I guess that is because he's seeing the end in sight. I suspect he'll stop or take a break on Saturday as it's our friend's birthday. I'll keep going. Enjoy not too much just now how I already see benefits.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 15-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 15th Jan 20, 11:04 AM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    coffeehound
    My heartrate had gone down to 68 checked at the hospital yesterday, BP just a little above ideal but in the normal range so that's all good. Feeling a bit bored with AF evenings but at least making good progress with the online course. Midday today is the halfway hump I suppose!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 15th Jan 20, 2:40 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 29,937 Thanks
    thriftylass
    My heartrate had gone down to 68 checked at the hospital yesterday, BP just a little above ideal but in the normal range so that's all good. Feeling a bit bored with AF evenings but at least making good progress with the online course. Midday today is the halfway hump I suppose!
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    I get bored too. Funny how my head thought drinking was entertainment or sth "to do". I just try to keep busy and get stuff done I "never had time for" and read a lot more.
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 15th Jan 20, 2:48 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Went for a jog at lunchtime today but it didn't go well. I had to give up half way uphill and walk ... it happens from time to time but I'm pleased that I did go, so at least that's 5km done even if not jogging all the way.
    We are indeed half way point in the challenge... I have just received a book that I ordered from eBay so looking forward to getting started with that.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 15th Jan 20, 8:22 PM
    • 7,796 Posts
    • 15,699 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    I know it’s a bit late but can I join too? Just noticed this thread!

My dry January started on the 5th. But it is going to extend until St Patrick’s Day or until I lose 15lbs, whichever comes first . I have managed to lose a couple of lbs already. Though I’m also hitting the gym pretty hard and tracking what I eat which helps.

Right now I’m not finding it too hard to stay off - DH is joining me in not drinking during the week (and also understands that he SHOULD NOT offer me alcohol if he’s drinking!) which helps, and work is fairly quiet which is also a good thing. But I’d appreciate being part of a community for when the cracks start showing. I read a book last night where almost every scene was punctuated by a glass of champagne or a glass of wine and by the end I was fancying a glass of fizz. But a passing fancy I hope.

The heart rate thing is interesting by the way. I was drinking nearly every night in December for various reasons and my resting heart rate was averaging about 74, with a high of 78. However now I’m back to my more usual 69/70. Kind of scary if I think about it too much and a good reason to stick with the plan.

Good luck everyone. For the genuine dry January people you’re halfway through. I’m hoping some of you might hang out a while longer though
    Last edited by belfastgirl23; 15-01-2020 at 8:26 PM.

• thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 16th Jan 20, 10:10 AM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 29,937 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I know it’s a bit late but can I join too? Just noticed this thread!

My dry January started on the 5th. But it is going to extend until St Patrick’s Day or until I lose 15lbs, whichever comes first . I have managed to lose a couple of lbs already. Though I’m also hitting the gym pretty hard and tracking what I eat which helps.

Right now I’m not finding it too hard to stay off - DH is joining me in not drinking during the week (and also understands that he SHOULD NOT offer me alcohol if he’s drinking!) which helps, and work is fairly quiet which is also a good thing. But I’d appreciate being part of a community for when the cracks start showing. I read a book last night where almost every scene was punctuated by a glass of champagne or a glass of wine and by the end I was fancying a glass of fizz. But a passing fancy I hope.

The heart rate thing is interesting by the way. I was drinking nearly every night in December for various reasons and my resting heart rate was averaging about 74, with a high of 78. However now I’m back to my more usual 69/70. Kind of scary if I think about it too much and a good reason to stick with the plan.

Good luck everyone. For the genuine dry January people you’re halfway through. I’m hoping some of you might hang out a while longer though
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    Welcome and I might join you in doing it for longer. Me and my colleague want to maybe extent it to do DQ1 (dry quarter 1) till the end of March. But one step at the time. Half way through the first month
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th Jan 20, 11:37 AM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 6,408 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Apparently OH is doing dry January too despite his initial mocking, he looked in the fridge last night and said "Is it February yet so I can have a beer?"

I'm finding it quite easy, though it's because I haven't bought any wine. Before, I'd drink it because it was there. I also haven't really been out anywhere
    Bad Debts Busted: 10/10
    NSD Target: 8/20
    VSP #12 11.31
    • Nic246
    • By Nic246 16th Jan 20, 11:51 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Nic246
    I'm doing it for the first time this year! It's going well but i'm having much less of a social life because most of my friends like to go on nights out and I just can't do it sober!
    • amandacat
    • By amandacat 16th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    amandacat
    I did dry January last year and actually lost my taste for alcohol and only drank a handful of drinks all last year. Drunk over Christmas and I had heartburn, felt a bit depressed and gained weight (obviously Christmas food also attributed to that ��)

This January I’m dry again and feel great. I’ve lost over half a stone in the last two weeks and my mental outlook is better. I feel like I’m not bothered if I never drink again now to be honest.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 17th Jan 20, 9:22 AM
    • 7,796 Posts
    • 15,699 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    I also find that as I stop drinking I lose my taste for it amandacat! The marketing is definitely enticing though. For me the single most useful thing is really clamping down in my own mind the minute that seductive voice starts to talk!

Approaching the two weeks dry point, I’ve seen a small weight loss (2lbs) but I’m happy with that. This weekend is a bit quieter than last weekend so hoping to focus on healthy eating and not being tempted by alcohol.

How’s everyone else doing? What are the weekend plans?

• thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 17th Jan 20, 9:33 AM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 29,937 Thanks
    thriftylass
    We have a birthday party on Saturday. Husband will be drinking as he's chuffed to even have managed 2 weeks so far. He'll try staying off it during the week now and reduce the weekends he drinks. I won't drink tomorrow. I'm just enjoying this too much. As weird as this sounds, lol. I also won't buy any fake alcohol like alc-free K0pparberg as that just tastes too good and might trigger sth.

Bounced out of bed at quarter too 6 this morning and got loads done before work. Looking fwd to a nice treat tea tonight (burger, wings and HM chips) and not drinking.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 18-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 18th Jan 20, 10:07 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 29,937 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Back from the party and tucked up in bed, sober

Unexpectedly, really enjoyed myself and I'm looking fwd to an early start feeling good tomorrow. Didn't even turn into the usual crump after a few hours watching people drink, which is new. Watching husband getting drunk was off putting actually

How are your weekends going?
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 19th Jan 20, 9:26 PM
    • 7,796 Posts
    • 15,699 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Well done Thriftylass! Surviving a party is hardcore.

Someone offered me a mocktail last night, an M&S alcohol free G&T. It was actually quite nice and felt like something special. To be honest I don’t like most fizzy drinks at all and I can get a bit fed up with just tea, coffee and water so it was a nice change. Pretty low cal too so ticks the boxes there - though I tend to be more worried that booze makes me want to eat rather than the actual calories in the booze.

Was in company tonight where people were drinking and I was quite happy not to be. And will be doubly glad tomorrow with no hangover.

Did everyone else survive?

• elsien
    • By elsien 19th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 20,537 Posts
    • 52,419 Thanks
    elsien
    Force of habit a lot of it, isn't it?
    Had Friday night which would usually be my "relax at the end of the week and celebrate the weekend with a bottle" night and managed to resist. Also a meet up in a pub - I was driving but would normally have a swift half. I need to find something more interesting than orange and lemonade, though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 20th Jan 20, 10:51 AM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 29,937 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I need to find something more interesting than orange and lemonade, though.
    Originally posted by elsien
    That's often the tricky bit, finding sth that we actually like and not just drink because we can't drink alcohol. I like the alc-free ciders but they taste too much like the real thing. I don't drink fizzy drinks normally so sometimes wonder if it's just the fizz I want as a treat and that's why I like my Friday cider. So I started swapping my normal diluting juice and water for diluting juice and sparkling water on a Friday night. That seems to be working a treat just now. It also looks similar and people don't ask if I'm not drinking.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 20th Jan 20, 1:06 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    engineer amy
    I'm doing it for the first time this year! It's going well but i'm having much less of a social life because most of my friends like to go on nights out and I just can't do it sober!
    Originally posted by Nic246

Well due to the fact that January is 342 days long and we get paid monthly, my group of friends are being really antisocial as we are all skint. So I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

19 full days in and im doing fine, had a small wobble last Wednesday driving home from the gym and the thought crossed my mind that I would like a glass of wine as a reward for my hard gym session. Had a stern word with myself and it went out of my head.

My routine used to be a couple of glasses of wine on a sunday night. I found myself last night thinking OK, usually by this time I have a glass of wine in my hand, what do I do now, so I went and cleared out two kitchen cupboards then went to bed early.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,348Posts Today

5,581Users online

Martin's Twitter