Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hannimal
    • By Hannimal 6th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 68Thanks
    Hannimal
    Buying in bulk to save money
    • 6th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    Buying in bulk to save money 6th Jan 20 at 6:32 PM
    What tips do you have for buying in bulk to save? What do you buy in bulk?

I have just bought a huge bag of rice in the world food section in ASDA and it's saved me a lot of money and will probably last me the whole year. I also buy toilet rolls in bulk once or twice a year - compared to 58p per roll (buying 9 rolls of Andrex from Tesco) buying 135 rolls in one go from Groupon comes to 26p per roll if buying Freedom branded toilet roll and just 14.4p per roll if buying Renove - and this includes postage.

I'd also like to buy soap, washing up liquid, shampoo, conditioner etc in bulk and I am happy with cheaper brands, but I haven't found where to source these really cheap. The £1 standard bottles of shampoo and soap are pretty tough to beat!
Page 2
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 20, 10:29 AM
    • 12,532 Posts
    • 33,432 Thanks
    suki1964
    I don't bulk buy. I do have storage but theres just 3 of us here

I do buy extra if its on special, Like I can only use the powder persil soap powder. Big box is £10 but at least twice a year they drop the price to £4 so Ill buy 2 then, and lidl toilet roll, when that drops in price Ill buy a few packs but thats about it really

Id love the buy the cat food in bulk, but they keep changing their mind about what they like so every time Ive thought I was onto a winner, the local cat charity has benefitted

Everything else is bought as one in use, one spare. That way I rarely pay full price anyways

Now mother, she stock piles. I have 32 cans of soup under the stairs and 22 tins of tuna thats she bought. She doesn't like soup, and neither me nor Mr S take tinned soup very often ( twice a year maybe?? ) so why she does it I don't know. I just donate it bit by bit to the food bank, then she notices we are running low and goes buy more
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Jan 20, 10:31 AM
    • 4,579 Posts
    • 15,952 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Thanks for the tip about the Ethical Superstore site, I'd not heard of that.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 9th Jan 20, 11:35 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Hello Carrie and Suki

Will give both of those a try. Always open to new ideas

Thank you
    • GreenFairy
    • By GreenFairy 9th Jan 20, 12:13 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    GreenFairy
    BigGreenSmile is great for bulk buying too - it's worth signing up for their emails as they regularly do 20% off featured brands, or other really good deals.
    I get washing up liquid, laundry liquid and handsoap off them at the moment in 5l drums. If I could only settle on a shampoo and conditioner I'd do that too!
    Jan GC €232.61/€400

Foodie related blogging at CookingTheBooks!
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 9th Jan 20, 12:25 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    So many useful tips here.

Have on my list to try Groupon. Cannot believe I have never looked at their site before. Didn't think they did anything different from Wowcher. Certainly never thought about toilet rolls.

Has anyone seen the news today ? Retail sector suffering. People are becoming more savvy methinks. John Lewis questioning whether they will give out bonuses this year. Very interesting.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 20, 2:48 PM
    • 12,532 Posts
    • 33,432 Thanks
    suki1964
    So many useful tips here.

Have on my list to try Groupon. Cannot believe I have never looked at their site before. Didn't think they did anything different from Wowcher. Certainly never thought about toilet rolls.

Has anyone seen the news today ? Retail sector suffering. People are becoming more savvy methinks. John Lewis questioning whether they will give out bonuses this year. Very interesting.
    Originally posted by balabooberlies
    Well if this site is anything to go by, its understandable

A few years ago there was a fantastic thread on this board - Not buying it, it ran for a year or more ( I can't find the thread, perhaps someone else can? ) and it was an eye opener for so many people, myself included and I thought I was savvy at the time.

About how we were slaves to consumerism and how to get off the wheel. I know since that thread I refuse to shop unless I really really have to. I no longer view shopping as a past time, its something that has to be done, and when done as thrifty as possible

Don't get me wrong, we want for nothing here. We have nice cars, nice clothes, good ( if a bit boring ) food. We indulge in nice things as well, but only when the price is right, we don't blindly shop

From that thread there have been many more spawned, making do and mending, decluttering, love food hate waste. Theres a big shift away from mindlessly spending money on "stuff"

And if that's happening here on this tiny spot of the internet, how big is that movement?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • johnlck99
    • By johnlck99 9th Jan 20, 2:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    johnlck99
    How can we buy bulk nespresso machine?
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 9th Jan 20, 2:58 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Totally agree Suki

Personally I have always hated shopping and could never understand when younger why every single Saturday my friends wanted to go to a shopping mall. Hate the lighting, stale air etc....

Don't get me wrong, love carboots, markets, fairs, charity shops. So it's not the shopping it's the environment. I always found it exhausting.

I think the younger generation are pushing forward in thinking about the environment. So perhaps our own home grown kids have made an impact on this years spending. Many are chosing experiences for pressies instead of plastic goods.

Apple took a huge hit last year because people are making do with what they have. Thank Goodness !
    • Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 9th Jan 20, 4:08 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    Just wanted to say you can get the 5litre bottles of washing up liquid from Farmfoods. They are a bargain price and saves on plastic over 6-7 smaller bottles of the same quantity.
    I also got bulk packs of loo rolls and washing power on the same trip.
    Cooking oil can usually be found in huge bottles in the “world foods” aisle of any big supermarket, along with rice and flour.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 9th Jan 20, 7:19 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    I have a Costco membership, so bulk-buy about twice a year on average - it varies, but bread flour in (I think) 10 kg sacks, choc chips for cakes, flapjacks etc, Swedish meatballs and table sauces such as mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce. Also 5 l containers of fabric conditioner - we have an old bottle and just decant into it from the larger one when needed. We have a fairly small house, but when we got the kitchen redone, OH got the to leave the toeboards loose and put in hinged doors above the built-in cupboards, so we have rather more storage than you would expect. The flour goes under the cupboards, in large plastic boxes, everything else goes above them.
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 9th Jan 20, 7:44 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Wraith

what an excellent idea
    • Hannimal
    • By Hannimal 10th Jan 20, 10:59 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Hannimal
    Have you tried the Freshonia brand tomatoes from Lidl?, usually retail between 32p and 35p a tin. Seriously they are soooooooo good you don't need to use tomato puree along with them. So thick in the juice I sometimes need to go twice with the swirl of water to get it all out
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Thanks for the tip - I will definitely try this when I run out of tomatoes!
    £5,850.86 out of target £40,000 15% of total.
    £0,551.78 out of target £07,000 08% of total in the £12k in 2020 challenge - #NA

Made £1,194.07 since started money saving - from bank switches, cashback etc
    • Hannimal
    • By Hannimal 10th Jan 20, 11:02 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Hannimal
    Just wanted to say you can get the 5litre bottles of washing up liquid from Farmfoods. They are a bargain price and saves on plastic over 6-7 smaller bottles of the same quantity.
    I also got bulk packs of loo rolls and washing power on the same trip.
    Cooking oil can usually be found in huge bottles in the “world foods” aisle of any big supermarket, along with rice and flour.
    Originally posted by Greenqueen
    World foods and baby isles have a lot of stuff cheaper than is found in other parts of the shops. I used to get babywipes instead of makeup wipes until I discovered makeup erasers. The makeup eraser/magic eraser is the best thing I've ever bought, I bought a pack of 3 for £15 five years ago and still use them every single day with just water to get even waterproof makeup off. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    £0,551.78 out of target £07,000 08% of total in the £12k in 2020 challenge - #NA

• johnlck99
    • By johnlck99 10th Jan 20, 5:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    johnlck99
    Are you asking for coffee?
    • Molly41
    • By Molly41 10th Jan 20, 6:14 PM
    • 4,538 Posts
    • 38,528 Thanks
    Molly41
    Another C0stc0 member. We bulk buy shower gel, hand wash, kitchen roll, shampoo, toothpaste. Then when on offer our toilet rolls, tea bags etc from supermarket.
    We have 4 adult men at home so go through vast quantities of shower gel etc and I drink tea copiously !!!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 13th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    Katieowl
    I stock up with anything I use regularly, when I see it cheap or reduced or when I am at the "cheap" shop. I live in a rural area so its not often I get to big shops.Bookers own brand loo rolls are cheap and dont upset the septic tank, firelighters intended for resale are cheaper than local Tesco. A new bulk buy discovery is sacks of bird food and fat balls. I always stock up with stuff if I place an online order to a supermarket too....Asda washing up liquid is cheap and good, as it the Smart Price washing powder, so I bulk up my orders to Min Spends with stuff I can store. Also love Radox powder which is hard to come by here, have been known to stick 10 boxes in my basket!
    • MissLolly
    • By MissLolly 13th Jan 20, 8:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MissLolly
    I've bought 15 litres of liquid hand soap! Just decant it into dispensers that I mostly picked up from eBay or charity shops. Saves on plastic too as it's one bottle compared to lots of little ones!
    • Hannimal
    • By Hannimal 14th Jan 20, 11:03 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Hannimal
    I've bought 15 litres of liquid hand soap! Just decant it into dispensers that I mostly picked up from eBay or charity shops. Saves on plastic too as it's one bottle compared to lots of little ones!
    Originally posted by MissLolly
    Where'd you buy it from? Most larger containers I've found have been ~5 litres and cost more than buing individual 500ml ones

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,814Posts Today

6,833Users online

Martin's Twitter