Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jan 20, 4:24 PM
    • 35,915 Posts
    • 42,068 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:24 PM
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:24 PM
    I'd prefer the first one as Android and Access to Google play.

Samsung recently withdrew support for Netflix on some older models which would worry me
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 9,380 Posts
    • 7,027 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    I'd prefer the first one as Android and Access to Google play.

Samsung recently withdrew support for Netflix on some older models which would worry me
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I would rather go for the one with the better screen, “smart” can be dumb most times, you can add a stick/pi/phone/tablet etc for the latest other “must haves” for little or no extra cost.
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 6th Jan 20, 4:36 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:36 PM
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:36 PM
    I would rather go for the one with the better screen, “smart” can be dumb most times, you can add a stick/pi/phone/tablet etc for the latest other “must haves” for little or no extra cost.
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

Both screens are good. I'm mainly unsure about the 'Smart' aspects, and how reliable they are. Will one crash more frequently than the other?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 6th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 6th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    I have had a Sony smart TV for a while now. It's OK, quite often the "smart" bit isn't that smart. I don't know if it's Sony's fault or the content provider's fault but turning it off & on again usually sorts it! That's turning it right off, at the wall.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 6th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    thorganby
    I have a similar Sony model and it has great picture, sound and features, so I would recommend the Sony.

I think that they all benefit from a re-boot every now and again, as they are basically computers running Android in the case of the Sony.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 6th Jan 20, 7:12 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 6th Jan 20, 7:12 PM
    • 6th Jan 20, 7:12 PM
    If I got a more expensive Sony model, would the software be the same?
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 6th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    • 13,203 Posts
    • 11,792 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 6th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    • 6th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    Trouble with smart tvs after a few years they get slow and more often that not rarely get updates. All our smart tvs and we have 4 latest being a LG 4ktv use amazon firestick 4k even on a 720p tv in bedroom. Its as fast as my LG smart tv because thats fairly new but my 3 year old samsung tv is now struggling with some things now.

I probably go for the sony, Lg make some excellent tvs though I got mine last year from richer sounds.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 6th Jan 20, 10:02 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 6th Jan 20, 10:02 PM
    • 6th Jan 20, 10:02 PM
    Does the software not update itself?

Could I use youtube and catch up with an Amazon fire stick?
    Last edited by Annie1960; 06-01-2020 at 10:08 PM.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 6th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    ballyblack
    buy your first choice.........Sony Smart Android, its all you need

Last edited by ballyblack; 06-01-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 7th Jan 20, 8:24 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mobileron
    Sony will be the better picture and you will have the advantages of the app store to download the android apps,Samsung apps library is very limited.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 7th Jan 20, 9:56 AM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Thanks, everyone. I'll order the Sony.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jan 20, 12:34 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    DoaM
    Just to echo others ... buy the TV which gives you the best picture and sound experience. Don't worry about Smart functions ... a Fire TV Stick/Roku/Other device will give you all the Smart functions you need and will likely be supported for longer than the Smart functions in a TV.

Even when the stick gets old ... throw it away and get a new one - the TV can still remain the same.

In other words ... focus your spending on what's important.
    Last edited by DoaM; 07-01-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 7th Jan 20, 2:31 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    sal_III
    Does the software not update itself?

Could I use youtube and catch up with an Amazon fire stick?
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    The TV update it's software itself (if auto-update is enabled)

The Manufacturer still need to spend resources (££) to update the software. It has the added disincentive of people not buying new TVs.

For that reason most TV manufacturers stop releasing updates after 1-2 years and eventually kill "essential" apps like YourTube or Netflix.

The main benefit of getting a TV with Android OS is that the OS development is handled by Google at no expense for the TV manufacturers and they only need minimal effort on their end, mainly testing, which dramatically increases the chance of getting a software updates for longer.

I agree that a smart stick/box is a cure for not-so-smart TVs but you lose a lot of integration. For example Youview would allow you to just browse the TV program guide and if oyu like something available on the main Free view channels catchup platforms will launch the app and go directly that episode/movie etc. Also not having to faf about with multiple remotes
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 7th Jan 20, 2:54 PM
    • 38,428 Posts
    • 23,867 Thanks
    getmore4less
    When I was looking last 2018.
    Sony sets got poor reviews for the interface

LG, Samsung, Panasonic better.

For the price of the Sony you need to compare to the Samsung 8000
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Jan 20, 4:42 PM
    • 15,437 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    googler
    You may well get software updates manually or automatically, but you may not like what happens when you get them.

I have a couple of "smart" Panasonic Blu-Ray players which, when first purchased, could get, through my network, YouTube and iPlayer.

I hadn't used one in a while, and connected it up to the monitor in the study; it prompted for a software update, so I complied, and once done - no more YouTube. Which was precisely the thing that I wanted to get.

You may well be perfectly happy with the internal smartness of any TV right now, but this can easily change in the future, and if it does, you may not like it then.

In our household, we're now keeping the smartness out of the TV - we can replace/add to the surrounding boxes as required, without being forced into replacing the TV to get the new apps.
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 10th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    Good advice from DoaM, I’ve got a smart Panasonic TV and we very rarely use it’s smart features, my advice buy the best panel you can afford turn it smart with a fire stick if you want.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
    • ckxion
    • By ckxion 14th Jan 20, 4:24 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ckxion
    Maybe later Android TV's have all updates available but that is not the case with my Sony Android 2016 kd-49x8005c

It came with a 2014 nearly useless browser interface which has not been updated to anything modern.

The OS is not updated by Google, it depends on what Sony decide to include and they deliberately do not include all feature updates for older models. I certainly do not have access to all apps that I have on my android mobile.

Sony wash their hands of any issues - useless customer service.

Just checked my last email from 2017 - no reply
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 14th Jan 20, 5:39 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mobileron
    Does it have the goggle play store installed.There are may ways of adding apps to the tv.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 15th Jan 20, 9:58 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    thorganby
    Maybe later Android TV's have all updates available but that is not the case with my Sony Android 2016 kd-49x8005c

It came with a 2014 nearly useless browser interface which has not been updated to anything modern.

The OS is not updated by Google, it depends on what Sony decide to include and they deliberately do not include all feature updates for older models. I certainly do not have access to all apps that I have on my android mobile.

Sony wash their hands of any issues - useless customer service.

Just checked my last email from 2017 - no reply
    Originally posted by ckxion
    The last update was released six months ago, so you are talking rubbish!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-49x8005c/articles/00229299

Full details of update here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00016209
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,341Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter