Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Jan 20, 6:28 PM
    • 32,403Posts
    • 67,274Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Impulse buys
    • 4th Jan 20, 6:28 PM
    Impulse buys 4th Jan 20 at 6:28 PM
    In 2018, Brits were said to make and average off 9 impulse purchases every month, at a cost of 200 per month (study by jamjar.com, but I got the data from The Infographics Show).

Now I consider myself to be a savvy spender, but I think my impulse unplanned buys probably total more than 9 per month, but the cost will usually be 20-50 per month thanks to my chazzer finds and predilection of scouring Poundland - which I love, but don't cost me the earth. Am I abnormally thrifty, I wonder?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Page 4
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 15th Jan 20, 11:38 AM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    So much for my claim that I no longer do impulse buys, lol! Went to a local department store for some paint samples the other day and was tempted by a gorgeous Walter Crane design water bottle (20). Suffice to say, I was unable to resist its charms
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 15th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Yes, I'm with those who say 'it depends what you mean' (and Polly, cannot IMAGINE buying a car on impulse! Though I am sure you did your sums!)
    I'm with JackieO, though I don't have the physical cash in a purse. I always try to plan some sale purchases, and have a mental list of what to buy when it's 'on offer'. There are some things (bedlinen, stationery) that I will only buy in a sale.

I was glad I had some put by because just before Xmas, one of my favourite fabric internet shops had some very expensive fabric remnants that they had knocked down to 1/4 price. Looking forward to making them up.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 15th Jan 20, 7:18 PM
    • 5,735 Posts
    • 15,338 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Im not really an impulse buyer unless its an item I use regularly such as wash powder at a "rude to say no" price in a supermarket.

This thread has given me food for thought. I never really have been a spender partly as I dont really like shopping....especially for clothes.

The other reason at the moment is because for my sanity , I choose to work part time. Not sure who it was that coveted what I have?
    A little job in a cafe/restaurant by the sea

I have been here 16 years on and off with varying full time and part time hours. I love my job and the majority of staff and customers but it can be hard work! I found when I did more hours, my patience with the minority of rude or grumpy customers made me stressed and I began to dislike it. Limiting my hours to three days a week with the odd extra shift to cover holidays (and a bit extra money) works for me but also makes me very careful with money.

Ill do survey sites to earn amazon vouchers which I use to stock up on such things as toilet rolls, tea bags, washing up liquid etc etc.

I would rather do this than work full time and be stressed.
    Ok so I dont have so much disposable cash but Im not mad on shops anyway
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....2,038.97 miles
    Walk 2020 miles in 2020......32.16 miles
    Make 2020 in 2020.......167.80
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Jan 20, 7:38 PM
    • 12,716 Posts
    • 244,050 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Have got an immaculate pair of outdoors-branded trousers which are on sale on the company's website for 29, down from 60 (both bar a penny). Got mine for 2.75. As-new conditon in a chazzer.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jan 20, 9:51 PM
    • 32,403 Posts
    • 67,274 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    So much for my claim that I no longer do impulse buys, lol! Went to a local department store for some paint samples the other day and was tempted by a gorgeous Walter Crane design water bottle (20). Suffice to say, I was unable to resist its charms
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    At 20, I would have been able to resist its charms! It just feels like too much for a single treat, given that a cup of coffee out buys me much pleasure I'd be thinking that would be at least 6 cups.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 15th Jan 20, 10:35 PM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 23,037 Thanks
    calicocat
    This thread makes me want to head off to the chazzer shops.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early........ Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jan 20, 6:42 AM
    • 12,716 Posts
    • 244,050 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    This thread makes me want to head off to the chazzer shops.
    Originally posted by calicocat
    The chazzers are the place to be. I joke with pals at my favourite chazzer that, if they add a greengrocery and dairy section, I would never need to shop anywhere else.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Jan 20, 12:18 PM
    • 32,403 Posts
    • 67,274 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    This month has been a bit nutty for impulse (ie unplanned) buys, 100% of which could have been avoided if a) I didn't go out for a walk and b) if I left my purse at home when I did

Yesterday another 5 melted away, but for that I bought a beautiful Laura Ashley linen summer dress, and a tiny trinket box and some BNWT clothes hangers for the little one, a gorgeous winter scarf (which I plan to wear today), and a full set of napkin rings. So all were good buys and I am meticulously noting these down in a log I started this year. We're half way through the month and I think I've spent less than 30 so far, far shy of the 200 average I cited in the OP.

• gt568
    • By gt568 18th Jan 20, 12:57 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    gt568
    This month has been a bit nutty for impulse (ie unplanned) buys, 100% of which could have been avoided if a) I didn't go out for a walk and b) if I left my purse at home when I did

Yesterday another 5 melted away, but for that I bought a beautiful Laura Ashley linen summer dress, and a tiny trinket box and some BNWT clothes hangers for the little one, a gorgeous winter scarf (which I plan to wear today), and a full set of napkin rings. So all were good buys and I am meticulously noting these down in a log I started this year. We're half way through the month and I think I've spent less than 30 so far, far shy of the 200 average I cited in the OP.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Your charity shops seem much cheaper than around here! I wonder why?
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 18th Jan 20, 4:20 PM
    • 12,716 Posts
    • 244,050 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've been to the Everything 50p Chazzer this afto and have come out with two shower curtains (one in an interesting geometric pattern, the other a gorgeous plain jewel colour), plus a F & F top which is surprisingly good quality for the make and a pair of most excellent C0untry Casuals trousers in a grey herringbone winter weight fabric.

The trousers are purporting to be Dry Clean Only but, having examined the fabric care label, I can't see for the life of me why not to machine wash them. I don't do Dry Clean Only for anything other than formal jackets/ coats. For 50p, I'm prepared to risk it.

Have just tried on my new outfit and everything fits and looks very becoming. If the washer doesn't ruin the trews, that's Monday's work outfit sorted.

PS, haven't decided what I shall be making with the shower curtains yet, but is a useful amount of fabric to play with, particularly for my camping err glamping accessories.

So, I guess they were purely impulsive. I did check out the chazzer about the same time yesterday but didn't get anything and what I did buy today most definately wasn't there then.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• DianneB
    • By DianneB 18th Jan 20, 10:18 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    DianneB
    Your charity shops seem much cheaper than around here! I wonder why?
    Originally posted by gt568
    Much cheaper than round here too! I visited Fakenham today and in the Sue Ryder spotted a length of unused Sanderson material, not a particularly attractive pattern and I was too shocked to check the length when I saw the price 70!!!!! Also had a quite vile cream leather corner sofa worn looking for over 300 forget the exact price. Don't think I will bother going back there.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    • 32,403 Posts
    • 67,274 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I visited my local libary today and was delighted that they were having a book sale (ranging from 10p-50p), so I came away with a good bundle. Cost me all of 1.50, so not disastrous and a couple of them were on my P'Interest wishlist.

Much cheaper than round here too!
    Originally posted by DianneB
    Southend High Street is full of charity shops, but tbh it has been quite some time since I have shopped at Barnado's, Oxfam, BHF etc for anything apart from their charity pins (CRUK is still quite reasonable, I find) precisely because I think they are over-ambitious in their pricing. That said, I would happily pay these prices if it was stuff I actually needed rather than an impulse want.

Instead I gravitate towards the lesser-known chaz, usually local charities or those that drum up funds for local churches. Prices there tend to be much more reasonable, and this January has been pretty fruitful with 50% discounts.

• gt568
    • By gt568 19th Jan 20, 7:16 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    gt568

Instead I gravitate towards the lesser-known chaz, usually local charities or those that drum up funds for local churches. Prices there tend to be much more reasonable, and this January has been pretty fruitful with 50% discounts.

That is a good tip, I may start visiting the lesser knowns and stay away from the "big brands" to fins some bargains.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 19th Jan 20, 7:24 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    It's books for me. A lot are second hand but not all. While I can often resist, sometimes I pick a book up and just know that it is coming home with me.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

April 2019 - pick myself up, dust myself down and give myself a stern talking to.
    Grocery spend 5814/80
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Jan 20, 7:28 PM
    • 32,403 Posts
    • 67,274 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's books for me. A lot are second hand but not all. While I can often resist, sometimes I pick a book up and just know that it is coming home with me.
    Originally posted by Puddleglum
    Me too, usually - less so this month though.

I sometimes "know" there is something with my name on it in a given chazzer before I walk in, and I am very rarely wrong - even if I have to hunt before I find it.

• coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 21st Jan 20, 2:24 PM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Another four espresso cups & saucers :/
    Time to join cupaholics anonymous . .
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 20, 3:16 PM
    • 32,403 Posts
    • 67,274 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Another four espresso cups & saucers :/
    Time to join cupaholics anonymous . .
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Just having my afternoon DIY latte and quick browse of MSE now, so you have some company

I'm still feeling super-pleased with my 1.50 Regatta coat, we've had such lovely weather lately that I've used it several times already for afternoon walks along the seafront, it's bought me so much more enjoyment for a small sum....I pass a cafe under new ownership on the way back, but wearing this coat and remembering what good value it was has stopped me from diving in and buying a coffee at over twice the price

• phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 21st Jan 20, 5:09 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    At 20, I would have been able to resist its charms! It just feels like too much for a single treat, given that a cup of coffee out buys me much pleasure I'd be thinking that would be at least 6 cups.
    Yep, I completely get what you're saying.......but as water is the only thing I drink (apart from the occasional glass of vino with dinner which I'm trying to cut out altogether ), there's no expensive coffee shop visits for me!

Moreover, as we have our own borehole there's no water bills to pay either.......
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 21-01-2020 at 5:15 PM.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 20, 8:18 PM
    • 32,403 Posts
    • 67,274 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yep, I completely get what you're saying.......but as water is the only thing I drink (apart from the occasional glass of vino with dinner which I'm trying to cut out altogether ), there's no expensive coffee shop visits for me!

Moreover, as we have our own borehole there's no water bills to pay either.......
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    The funny thing is that although I occasionally fancy a glass, I can stop myself from opening up a bottle of wine precisely because so much will be wasted. I don't like it on day 2, but I suppose I could freeze it and use it to cook with.

• phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 21st Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    The funny thing is that although I occasionally fancy a glass, I can stop myself from opening up a bottle of wine precisely because so much will be wasted. I don't like it on day 2, but I suppose I could freeze it and use it to cook with.
    I've only had two half glasses of wine since a week before Christmas. Luckily there was no wastage though as DH drank the rest. Only one bottle opened and all used up

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,244Users online

Martin's Twitter