Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jan 20, 7:51 PM
    • 5,218Posts
    • 19,389Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    2020 a year to be mindful.
    • 2nd Jan 20, 7:51 PM
    2020 a year to be mindful. 2nd Jan 20 at 7:51 PM
    Happy New Year!

So I decided a new shiny diary was needed for a brand new decade.

As the title suggests it is about me being more mindful in life and seeing the positives. I have decided not to set any major goals but to live life in a more harmonious way, having had cancer it has taught me to relax, slow down and not sweat the small stuff, we can make plans, set goals but we never know what is around the corner that will tip your whole precise, orderly world upside down.

Sorry if it seems as though i'm waffling but I need to brain dump.
    Be positive, be thoughtful, be kind, smile and say something nice to make others feel good.
    Walk the dog (even in the rain) don't rush listen to the birds, take in the scenery.
    Read more, make a cup of tea and escape with a book a couple of times a week.
    Stop and sit with DD/DS and talk, switch off phones, ipads etc and talk.
    Ask myself everyday what did I enjoy, what am I grateful for and what am I satisfied with.
    Spending on needs not wants, can I borrow before I buy, can I make it cheaper, sell to fund new needs, use gift vouchers, ask for items for birthday, Christmas etc.
    Use it up and wear it out, if its broke can it be fixed.
    Keep ebaying and doing surveys.
    Travel - A family holiday is non negotiable, DH is self employed and a workaholic and he only ever switches off when we go away. So I see it as valuable family bonding time.
    Food - Meal plan, stick to grocery budget, bake/cook from scratch, take lunches to work and eat leftovers.

So we still have some debt from buying cottage which is around 3K need to do a proper check for an exact figure, this is on low apr and is being paid off, not stressing about as its manageable.

More to come...…..
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 02-01-2020 at 7:57 PM.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
Page 3
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Jan 20, 7:56 AM
    • 11,521 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    jwil
    Busy day! Well done on the sales x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 8th Jan 20, 6:50 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning,

Didn't update last night, think it was a shock to the system being back at work,spent the evenine getting jobs done then flaked on the sofa at 9 to watch Ben fogle.

Yesterday I was grateful for homemade lunches that save me money and friends that bake.

I was thankful that the children had had a lovely Christmas and no dramas (anyone who works in education will know what I mean).

Satisfied with the day as a whole.

Made £12 yesterday on ebay, holiday pot is ticking along nicely.

Today I need to buy some parcel tape on the way home from work, get through a course at work this afternoon.
    This evening I need to pay some bills including sending some money to CC.

have a good day xx
    • amber03
    • By amber03 8th Jan 20, 8:59 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 5,379 Thanks
    amber03
    I'm a morning person ( hence why I got to work at 5 in the morning). Love to get all jobs done early then can relax or go out in the afternoon. Today was spent out in the garden, just nice to be outside for some fresh air. Off work this week so catching up on a few jobs. PWPS you've had a busy start to the new year.
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £375.00
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 9th Jan 20, 6:47 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    I'm a morning person ( hence why I got to work at 5 in the morning). Love to get all jobs done early then can relax or go out in the afternoon. Today was spent out in the garden, just nice to be outside for some fresh air. Off work this week so catching up on a few jobs. PWPS you've had a busy start to the new year.
    Originally posted by amber03
    I'm also a morning person, I can't lay in bed as I think its a waste of a day. I like to get up and get on. xx
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 9th Jan 20, 6:53 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Didn't get to post last night as by the time I got in and spent some time with the family had ea and did some jobs I was shattered.

£5 prepaid card received yesterday which has gone straight on DS lunch account and have transferred £5 into hols pot.

Thankful - for DH who had tea all ready when I got in late last night.

Grateful - For my family that lightened my mood last night after a heavy course.

Satisfied - I came away from course with some knowledge and how to implement it.

So far this morning I have prpped a beef casserole and bunged it in the slow cooker and checked banking.

Tonight I must buy parcel tape on way home, post some parcels, remember to pick up DD, pay CC as didn't yesterday, do a meal plan/shopping list.

XX
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 10th Jan 20, 4:12 PM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Afternoon,

Grocery shop day and came in £17 under budget, £64 spent in lidl and £19 in Sainsburys, I have put £15 of the underspend in the hols pot and kept £2 in case i need to get something later in the week.
    £5 M&s voucher redeemed from a survey site, paid £160 off CC.
    Spent £85 having my hair restyled and coloured and it looks fab and I love it.

Easy tea tonight of sausage, egg and chips.

No ebay sales or listings the last few days, must get on it this weekend.
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 10-01-2020 at 7:09 PM.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 10th Jan 20, 8:39 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    All ticking along nicely, a good whack paid off the credit card well done! Glad you like your new haircut and colour, always lovely to have a treat - almost missed the figures hiding down there but well worth it I bet.

Enjoy your evening, H x
    Debt:Loan 2 £2200 now £1711.95 New credit card £2291.82 now £2300 Car - Purchased £11,518.40 now £3641.16 Barclays loan 3000 now £1836.99 Overdraft £1000
    PAID - Computer £646.52, Overdraft 1 £2200 Dad £300
    Emergency fund: £50 General savings: £1.11 Debt paid 2019 starting debt 13,111.79 current debt £10,490.10
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Evening,

very little to update as have had a quiet day at home, made a fish pie for tea and had quite a bit of cheese sauce left so made a vegetable lasagne to use it up using up bits of veg in the fridge and freezer, 6 portions which will do me for weekday lunches at work, waiting for it to cool down then I can freeze in portions.

£2 made overnight on ebay, not much but it all adds ups.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 12th Jan 20, 8:25 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Weather is awful here, I can hear it against the windows and really not looking forward to standing next to a rugby pitch later on watching DS if it is still raining, am i a really bad mum for hoping that the match gets cancelled?

Plans for today are washing (no change there), make celery soup to use up the limp bunch I have in the fridge, Tidy downstairs, sweep and mop kitchen , ebay listings, bring in wood and fill log baskets.
    Roast lamb for tea tonight, hope there will be enough to stretch it to feed use tomorrow night as well, will make some Yorkshire puddings to help eek the meat out.

xx
    • amber03
    • By amber03 12th Jan 20, 8:39 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 5,379 Thanks
    amber03
    Lovely day here, even managed a couple of hours on my allotment I have now got. Luckily my DS was into basketball as a teenager so was indoors, warm and dry.x
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £375.00
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 13th Jan 20, 6:48 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Lovely day here, even managed a couple of hours on my allotment I have now got. Luckily my DS was into basketball as a teenager so was indoors, warm and dry.x
    Originally posted by amber03
    Allotment sounds nice, lots of lovely home grown veg. My DS seems to be into every sport that is played outdoors, although cricket is nice to watch in the summer with a glass of wine.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 13th Jan 20, 6:52 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    This weekend I am -

Thankful I can cook and can turn bits and pieces into meals, I have at least 20 portions of lunches in the freezer made from leftovers or things just past their best which will make morning so much easier when I can just grab a tub out of the freezer.

Grateful for the rain as DS rugby match was cancelled and don't think standing by a cold wet and windy pitch would have been fun.

Satisfied I had a rested weekend but also got everything done that was needed, ready for the week ahead.

£9 made on ebay yesterday, very slow at the moment.

Have a great week xx
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 10,010 Posts
    • 64,760 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Glad the match was cancelled!! I havenít had a lot of experience with outdoor sports, but Iíve never been so cold as I was when DS1 tried football!! Thankfully he decided it wasnít for him after a while .

Have a good week Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 14th Jan 20, 6:45 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning, seem to have hit the mid month slump with the finances, nothing coming in just going out and ebay is rubbish at the minute. I suppose its the same for everyone as January is always a rubbish month. Surveys are also slow and nothing nearing payout but I will keep plodding with them.
    So looking at ways at home to save money rather than spend, might have a browse on the old style board for some ideas.

Thankful that my family are happy and healthy.
    Grateful for being organised with my lunches which gives me 5 extra minutes in bed.
    Satisfied with the job I did yesterday when I had to step into something at short notice.

Have a great day xx
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jan 20, 7:51 AM
    • 11,521 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    jwil
    Agree, everything is slow and it seems a long way til payday. Have a good day x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 15th Jan 20, 9:08 PM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Sold a couple of BINs today on ebay so £20 for the holiday pot.
    £5 M&S gift card redeemed.
    £2.05 spent on milk and cream and £25 on fuel.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 18th Jan 20, 8:52 AM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Had a busy working week and felt utterly exhausted yesterday, managed to get the weekly shop done but apart from that I just chilled and caught up with TV from the week that I had missed.

Yesterdays grocery spends came in at £21 in Sainsburys and £73 in lidl, lidl should have been less but they had sirloin steaks on offer, 2 steaks for £6.99 so got 2 packs and have out them in the freezer for Mr PWPS birthday tea in a couple of weeks time, so it was £14 unplanned for for this week but will save me money in the long run. Does mean only £5 got transferred into the holiday pot.

Speaking of holiday pot, Mr PWPS tax bill was less than he was expecting so we have decided to add the surplus to the holiday pot and get a holiday booked for the summer, always good to have something to lok forward to.

Ebay and surveys limping along, another couple of bits to list today and a few surveys to do. Tea tonight is beef cobbler so need to get that in the slow cooker, might also make so chocolate brownies whilst i'm in the kitchen.

Have a great weekend xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter