Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 27th Nov 07, 10:33 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 4,041Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:33 PM
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List! 27th Nov 07 at 10:33 PM
    **THIS THREAD HAS NOW BEEN MOVED TO HERE!!**
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776240

I welcome you to join our discussion there.

SS2
    Last edited by Westie983; 25-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Page 346
    • adindas
    • By adindas 14th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    adindas
    The thing is, all these rates are pretty crap. I know they're better than nothing but I'm going to get 750 in under six months from switching two accounts to B-Bank and then on to NatWest. Compared to that sort of "profit" the stuff on this thread is just peanuts.
    Originally posted by Marvo5
    I think what you are not aware of is that many people in this thread are fully aware of the switching bonus and have swept them all as much as they can. People have prepared a few dummy accounts since a few years ago for this purpose. The only reason people do not do switching because there is no incetive for switching available anymore becuase they have swept them all.

If you have maxed out all of the best paying current accounts and still have cash to save, where anywhere else could you save it apart from RSA, any idea ??
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 14th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 13,935 Thanks
    EachPenny
    The thing is, all these rates are pretty crap. I know they're better than nothing but I'm going to get 750 in under six months from switching two accounts to B-Bank and then on to NatWest. Compared to that sort of "profit" the stuff on this thread is just peanuts.
    That's great, but how will you generate your 'profit' in the following 6 months, and the 6 months after that, and the 6 months after....?

The regular saver rates may not give life-changing returns, but they are some of the best rates available for storing emergency cash, and using them doesn't preclude taking advantage of switching bonuses (as adindas says, you'll find most of the regulars on this thread have already exhausted all the switching opportunities long ago.)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 14th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Marvo5
    Well I did say its "better than nothing" but hardly worth wetting your pants about. I'd exhausted everything but then B-Bank came along, quickly followed by NatWest. Who's to say how long before the next one comes along.

The point is, none of this is life changing but if you enjoy farting about to end up with, taking inflation into account the same amount you started with then go for it, knock yourself out.

I'm subscribed to this thread, I'm sure one day someone will post something that will get me all excited.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 14th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx

I'm subscribed to this thread, I'm sure one day someone will post something that will get me all excited.
    That "someone" could be you.... if you're not careful!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 14th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 13,935 Thanks
    EachPenny
    The point is, none of this is life changing but if you enjoy farting about to end up with, taking inflation into account the same amount you started with then go for it, knock yourself out.

If you know anywhere to put emergency cash that generates more than inflation then please let us know.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 14th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Marvo5
    If you know anywhere to put emergency cash that generates more than inflation then please let us know.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I don't. That's why I'm on here.

12000 with Tesco and 1500 with TSB @ 3%, 2000 with Ford @ 4% and seven regular savers all paying 5%, currently 17,900 balance but obviously that fluctuates. The rest of my money is in ISA's with crap rates between 1.8% -2.5%. Oh and several grand with ATOM. That's it. Sadly I've not any more money to worry about but undoubtedly I've enough to see me through comfortably until the grim reaper calls so its not all bad.

Listen, I get it, this is a game like any other game, the winner is he/she who makes the most with the smallest effort. It's just that the top prize is more kudos than cash.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 14th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 30,157 Posts
    • 18,015 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Did you mean to say "we"? Or did you find a way to get 2 YB/CB/B incentives and 2 NatWest incentives?
    • schiff
    • By schiff 14th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 17,991 Posts
    • 9,386 Thanks
    schiff
    Rates are poor principally because of bank rate. Better rates would follow inflation. We wouldn't want too much of that.

Even with your legendary magical skills you can't change that
    • badger09
    • By badger09 14th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 6,004 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    badger09

Listen, I get it, this is a game like any other game, the winner is he/she who makes the most with the smallest effort. It's just that the top prize is more kudos than cash.
    Ta dah

Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 14th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    ColdIron
    the winner is he/she who makes the most with the smallest effort
    Would you characterise someone who made more money by applying moderate or more effort as a loser? This isn't a competition
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 14th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Marvo5
    Did you mean to say "we"? Or did you find a way to get 2 YB/CB/B incentives and 2 NatWest incentives?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Me & the wife in name only, shes not interested in "the game", took me a couple of years to convince her to change her account to First Direct to get the switch bonus. She'd drive you lot nuts, she has two accounts (she knows about), one giving no interest, the other 5% on 2500. She has a few grand in the one paying nothing and just a few hundred in the one where she gets interest. I tell her to move some over but she steadfastly refuses. Thing is, she's not that unusual. The daughter in-law also refuses to switch, she's had the same bank account for years which gives her nothing but she says "she's likes it and is used to it". In truth I reckon us lot on here are in the minority, the majority just can't be bothered.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 14th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Marvo5
    Would you characterise someone who made more money by applying moderate or more effort as a loser? This isn't a competition
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    No but it is a game or maybe a hobby?

If a man works one hour to earn 10 whilst another works 3 to earn 15, the latter has the most money but the former has the best pay rate.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 25,589 Posts
    • 15,117 Thanks
    xylophone
    Me & the wife in name only,
    Too much information?
    • schiff
    • By schiff 14th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 17,991 Posts
    • 9,386 Thanks
    schiff
    No but it is a game or maybe a hobby?
    For people of a certain age it can be a very enjoyable hobby in fact. It beats going down the day centre
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 20th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 9,052 Posts
    • 21,861 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Bump - if you still need it
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 20th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Ooh, it's back - but missing the first day's posts, so all the post numbers are different..
    Perhaps it could be merged into the new thread?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • schiff
    • By schiff 20th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 17,991 Posts
    • 9,386 Thanks
    schiff
    Bump - if you still need it
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    If? If? We've been needing it for weeks!
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 20th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Hattie625
    Can we agree to converse on the new thread, so that we don't have to keep an eye on two threads?
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 20th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 9,709 Posts
    • 122,546 Thanks
    kazwookie
    first posts are still missing.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 24th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    This thread is being closed and turned into a read only thread. To find my regular savings thread, follow this link to the new thread.

SS2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

4,645Users online

Martin's Twitter