Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 27th Nov 07, 10:33 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 4,041Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:33 PM
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List! 27th Nov 07 at 10:33 PM
    **THIS THREAD HAS NOW BEEN MOVED TO HERE!!**
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776240

I welcome you to join our discussion there.

SS2
    Last edited by Westie983; 25-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Page 323
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 13th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Hattie625
    Any chance that the discussion here could be more focussed on regular savers?

I keep getting excited about a new market beating product when I see the number of replies, only to be disappointed.

I'm sure the discussion of Tesco accounts is worthy of it's own thread
    Originally posted by glider3560
    I agree. This thread is about Regular Savers. The clue is in the title. Have a thought for Special Saver 2 who provides a weekly update and has to plough through all these irrelevant posts in the search for the pearl of a new shiny market-leading RS.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 14th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Mee
    Blimey, I better do some housekeeping and close some of the older ones if that is true. I have 5 right now, might need some new ones if their rates improve again.

Are you 100% certain 6 is the limit?
    Originally posted by Archi Bald

I spoke to T yesterday to close a few accounts and they confirmed the max is 6.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 14th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Mee
    I wasn't going to respond to your post yesterday because I felt it wouldn't add value. But in light of your edit and apology I would just like to say that it wasn't me who reported you, and no apology was required. As much as I found some of your side comments like "...another universe, another planet..." unhelpful, I wasn't offended to the point of reporting it.

You should also have no concerns about expressing views counter to mine. Things we say on here are usually a matter of opinion or preference, unless it relates to technical details of accounts. We are all entitled to our views, so long as they are accurate or appropriately qualified.

I said in post #6417 that personally I favour the Tesco account because "it is truly instant access". That is an opinion, which I feel is relevant where the account is used as a feeder to Regular Savers.

For example, if Virgin launched a new RS this afternoon it could be opened and funded from a Tesco IS account within minutes. If the same money was in Ford Money account, since the 2pm deadline has now passed the funds wouldn't be available to transfer into the new Virgin RS until some time on Tuesday, possibly not until close of business. To me that is far from being 'instant' access. Even though the interest loss is marginal.

So I would stand by my opinion that personally I favour the Tesco account because "it is truly instant access" - and the slightly higher interest rate is also currently a factor.

But that, and also nothing I've said, was intended to be a criticism of they way you prefer to do things or your personal choices. All I sought to do was to clarify why your experience of the Tesco IS account was that you couldn't do same day payments, and offer advice if appropriate.

I hope that has cleared things up and we can go back to looking out for the best regular saver accounts
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Thank you. I think we were talking at cross purposes all the long.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 14th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Mee
    I agree. This thread is about Regular Savers. The clue is in the title. Have a thought for Special Saver 2 who provides a weekly update and has to plough through all these irrelevant posts in the search for the pearl of a new shiny market-leading RS.
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    I have deleted two of my posts to assist you.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 14th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 9,639 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I have deleted two of my posts to assist you.
    Originally posted by Mee
    Was there a limit to the number posts not related to "regular savings accounts" you were able to delete.
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 14-10-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Often what I dont say is more significant than what i do say ........
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 14th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Keeping posts on-topic
    Was there a limit to the number posts not related to "regular savings accounts" you were able to delete.
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    If one user deletes all their own posts then posts by others in reply can become meaningless.

The solution is either much greater self-discipline by users in staying on-topic or much greater intervention by the moderators to move off-topic posts to other threads. Experience on other forums leads me to conclude that only the latter option is viable.

[Moderators: feel free to delete this off-topic post when appropriate.]
    • flergalwit
    • By flergalwit 14th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    flergalwit
    OK I have a question about regular savers. This limit of 6 that's being talked about - may I clarify that this is *not* a limit on the number of regular savers one is allowed to have? It's hard for me to follow this thread; I've tried backtracking but I still cannot deduce what the limit of 6 refers to. So can I just check it isn't regular savers? I certainly hope not - I have 10 of the things open currently and was planning to open more soon.
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 14th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Hattie625
    OK I have a question about regular savers. This limit of 6 that's being talked about - may I clarify that this is *not* a limit on the number of regular savers one is allowed to have? It's hard for me to follow this thread; I've tried backtracking but I still cannot deduce what the limit of 6 refers to. So can I just check it isn't regular savers? I certainly hope not - I have 10 of the things open currently and was planning to open more soon.
    Originally posted by flergalwit
    I've got about 27 Regular Savers currently open. There is no limit to how many RS's you can have. However usually the bank or institution will have a rule that you can only have one of their RS's open at a time. Sometimes you can have more than one RS open at the same time with the same institution but only one of each issue (eg I have issues 3,4 and 5 of Leeds BS, but I can't have any later issue, that's 6,7 or 8 at the moment, along with Issue 5; once Issue 5 matures I will be able to open the Issue then current, assuming there is one),
    Last edited by Hattie625; 14-10-2017 at 1:03 PM.
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 14th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    the 6 limit is in relation to tesco internet saver accounts only
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: 114800 104k
    - Student Loan: 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 14th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 8,406 Posts
    • 106,172 Thanks
    karlie88
    Received a letter today from Leeds BS with regards to my reg saver issue 3 which is due to be closed soon.

You can submit maturity/closing instructions online and, surprisingly, you can ask them to transfer the money across to a nominated bank account. There's no fee to do this. Other options include sending a cheque, transferring across to another Leeds BS account etc.

Link: www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/savings/maturity/forms/

No need to visit the branch or send something via snail mail. We're making process, let's hope other BSs follow...
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    You can have as many regular savers as you like subject to T&Cs of the banks providing them. Virgin for example let you have one of each of their regular savers branch and online which had you snapped them all up would probably be, what, 15 by now?

I dare say a more practical limit is the amount of money you have available in order to feed these things and pay everything else you pay for in your life, though due to the way these work it goes you'd get all that feeding money back anyway with a bit extra on top.
    • gilly56
    • By gilly56 14th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    gilly56
    @karlie88

I got same letter from the Leeds BS today. That is a very handy link they give you in the letter which takes you to a special page to advise them of your closing instructions etc.
    Last edited by gilly56; 14-10-2017 at 6:47 PM.
    • gilly56
    • By gilly56 14th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    gilly56
    Does anyone know if you are still entitled to have the Santander 5% reg saver account if you should down-grade your 1-2-3 current account to a '1-2-3 Lite' account?
    Last edited by gilly56; 14-10-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 14th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Hi Folks,

Here is this weekend's update.

- Monmouthshire BS First Home Bonus Saver (Issue 2) account added to post 8 paying 0.5% variable interest and a 4% fixed bonus with very restrictive conditions as summarised in my entry in post 8

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
    Last edited by Special_Saver2; 14-10-2017 at 6:59 PM.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 14th Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,910 Thanks
    Westie983
    Does anyone know if you are still entitled to have the Santander 5% reg saver account if you should down-grade your 1-2-3 current account to a '1-2-3 Lite' account?
    Originally posted by gilly56
    Yes you can as you are still keeping a 1-2-3 product

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • gilly56
    • By gilly56 14th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    gilly56
    @Westie983

Many thanks, good to know! :-)
    • adindas
    • By adindas 14th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    adindas
    With so many RSAs with flexible term paying hegher interest than Santander 123 I wonder how many people will still keep their money on Santander 123 account ???
    • schiff
    • By schiff 14th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 17,989 Posts
    • 9,381 Thanks
    schiff
    I regularly do a shed-load of deposits and withdrawals to my 123 account and I couldn't face changing shed-loads of accounts with online companies to another current account. My 5 charge is covered by cash-back.
    • Speculator
    • By Speculator 14th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Speculator
    I regularly do a shed-load of deposits and withdrawals to my 123 account and I couldn't face changing shed-loads of accounts with online companies to another current account. My 5 charge is covered by cash-back.
    Originally posted by schiff
    Same, 33 standing orders and rising. utility and debit card cashback more than covers my 5 charge.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    The only prerequisites to a Santander reg saver is to use online banking and have a current account with them, it doesn't have to be a 123 account, though having that doubles the interest rate on offer from 2.5% to 5%.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

7,362Users online

Martin's Twitter