Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Dec 19, 4:23 PM
    • 4,585Posts
    • 8,049Thanks
    another casualty
    System Failure !
    • 31st Dec 19, 4:23 PM
    System Failure ! 31st Dec 19 at 4:23 PM
    Howdy !
    A new year pending , and also a new decade. The last decade was 75% approx awful . However , in Nov 2016 I quit everything , due to a strange and annoying condition called Myasthenia Gravis . This is an auto immune and motor neurone condition . Thankfully , it is a mild version and am getting it under control . More below .

When I say 'quit everything ', I quit the job I detested which I had to keep as there wasn't much about in 2008 when I became permanent from temp. Also, of course I had to pay bills , mortgage , overdraft etc
    Plus I had a homeowner loan on my flat at the time also . How sad was that ? Also very dangerous .

I didn't get myasthenia until 2014 /15. The stress of everything caught up with me obviously . I quit London also , having lived and worked there all of my life .

So, diary 2 was rest . I didn't know how long for . I was approx 25 stone due to prednisolone ..a very evil but essential steroid.
    Hardly able to do much , and looking like a huge gas balloon I actually had no idea of length of recuperation etc.
    In this time , I rented a flat for six months in Dorset and after that bought a flat around the corner from there . Yes , it's leasehold but it's all I could afford . Living on my own and knowing virtually nobody I didn't want to stray too far . London is 2 hrs away when south worsen railways provide a service .

Diary 3 was restart.
    This meant I lost 10" from my waist size and 10kg plus I quit prednisolone . I'm now 45" waist from 55"
    My weight is 120kg . Not too sad at 6' .
    I want to lose 10-20 kg this year. I will cut down on bread as from Monday 6 th jan , and cut down on crisps
    I also became debt free..for now!

Diary 4 system failure
    In jan last year I had to sign up for universal credit . Got first payment of 317 pm in March . Very generous .
    I applied for ltd capability for work . This has obviously been rejected due to the impersonal ways universal credit works . Ive been assessed etc.
    I put my appeal in via citizens advice and am awaiting an appearance in court .

I'm glad I didn't go to universal credit before jan last year as I just wasn't ready for obvious reasons . I've had friends and family telling me that I should do it , and eventually I did .
    This has caused me to go near the limit of my overdraft . I had to go into my private pension but I'm free of debt for now .
    I am on a work related programme , and I get regular appointments with the job coach by phone and in person . Plus I go to poole job club on a Tuesday . ( Thanks moo121)

This would put many people off , which is what whatever gvt is in power wants . Having said that , as I'm mortgage free I only require part time work . That is a problem and will take time .
    This basically means that I'm broken and need fixing .
    If I can get a part time job in the mornings that is good , then great.
    However , with myasthenia I also have dysphragia and dysarthria which is slurred speech when I get tired . Plus my left eye collapses . This means I can only do morning work only . Even then I'm not sure how long it will take for me to get back into a Working pattern albeit part time

There are many people worse off obviously .
    Main things for the new year: get a nice part time job , get the lcw
    And make sure I can still afford to see mr trainer and get my health back on track .
    Life is crap , but I won't give in just yet ..

Happy new year !
    Last edited by another casualty; 31-12-2019 at 5:07 PM.
Page 3
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 9th Jan 20, 12:03 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Yes DIA , slept better thanks

Things have been busy . I have that laptop on its way today .
    I took a chance and went back to the chemist . Lloyd's pharmacy suck by the way
    The plan was to go there , and jump on a bus and do some food shopping in Poole and get back before ups deliver laptop,
    What happened was I received some of my prescription . I had to remind them that there is not enough there . The lady found it and I had to wait for it to be labelled etc. On top of that , the most important drug which I should have got in November still isn't there .
    I went to surgery and requested it again late Dec and took slip over to them , and it's still not there

I got bus straight away . Picked up some clothing from M&S that I ordered. The plastic bag it came in is useless and the handles snapped straight away. So I got food shopping and got the bus straight away getting back . No laptop yet . All good .

I've just visited Lloyd's pharmacy and M&S on Facebook and left comments . With Lloyd there is a customer service email address l I sent a snotty email . Not like me , but they're playing with my health and are useless . With M&S I commented in the men's suit section .

Next week is busy sorting stuff, with yet another call from the job coach . I have the bed situation to sort and the boiler assessment .
    Tomorrow gym , and probably Monday .
    Still, I did everything on time today, as we have a downpour later
    Last edited by another casualty; 09-01-2020 at 9:25 PM.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 9th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 30,278 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Glad you had a better nights sleep.

Grr to M&S and Lloyds.

Hope that the laptop turns up.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: 4100.00 Lloyds: 8000.00 OD 2000 MBNA: GONE
    Jan LTW 11/22 ~ Jan NSD 2/10
    PAYDBX 2020 #041 PD 40.00/8000
    Xmas Pot 52.85/500 ~ EF 280/500
    20p Savers 2020 2 Savers 2020 50p Savers 2020 SPC 13 2020 #003
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 9th Jan 20, 8:31 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks pmo2.
    The laptop arrived . I haven't had time to check it . I got very tired .

I got a reply on Facebook messenger about the packaging from M&S
    Nothing yet from lloyds pharmacy . I most of the staff could do with some happy pills .

So, I thought I'd vacuum yesterday . Notice that I never said hoover.
    The battery on my DYSON needed recharging . So I did that . I was in 2 minds whether to vacuum this evening or tomorrow .
    Just as well I decided to do it tonight . Alas, I couldn't !
    I had to take it apart incase of blockage . About 20 mins later, the penny dropped . I need a new battery for it
    I must say that the customer service at dyson is brilliant . I must also say that I have had it for just over 2 years so I had to pay 65 which is an unexpected bill .
    I should get new battery on Monday so not too long to wait I guess .
    I phoned up around 7.50 pm and I believe their office closes at 8pm
    The battery is guaranteed for a year , and if I can get 2 years then it's not too sad I guess. I have to make a note of when to expect it to pack up..
    Last edited by another casualty; 09-01-2020 at 9:26 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Today I phoned the surgery . I want all of my medicine . I explained situation . Was told to come down and it will be sorted . It was not .
    I waited over a half an hour . I was laid back as always as the surgery was inundated with patients turning up in their masses and only 2 receptionists.
    I gave up as I needed to head off to the gym from there . I have to go back Monday . The plan being to get another slip of paper to take to another pharmacy that will hopefully do it . Pita, is one of the milder terms to use ..

So I jumped straight on the bus to the gym and I had a fantastic solo session . I played some Opeth via Bluetooth onto mr trainers sound system . I did 4 sets of everything and did a full workout except the arms . I increased the weight also. Being p@%%ed off must've helped

The world is a nicer place for the rest of the day ..
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 10th Jan 20, 2:12 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 30,278 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi AC,

GRR to the doctors, they sound pretty useless.

Well done on the gym session.

Hope it's sunny where you are today? It's fairly sunny on site today which always helps xx
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jan 20, 3:11 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks pmo2
    TBH , the doctors are normally pretty good . I just think it's Sod's law that I picked the wrong time . The chemist on the other hand..

It was sunny as expected , but not as long as forecast.

I opened the box I received yesterday . The pc looks really good so far
    I have it charging at the moment for a few hrs . It came with its own dell charger . So far so good .

I opened the bag full of tops I got in the M&S sale . They have hangers with them as well . Will have to try them on over the weekend for peace of mind ..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 20, 8:55 AM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Had a very productive , but socially quiet weekend.
    I opened the package containing the refurbished pc I purchased . It looks really good . I had trouble getting it going initially and have to start from a different boot up disk. I press esc/ f12 when I turn on and all is well. Google is handy. The code given to get windows 10 doesn't work , so I'm waiting for hopefully a different code to get the update
    I created an outlook account so anything windows related stays there
    Come to think of it, I only have one email address and really need to organise my emails and chuck loads away.

I took a punt on fleabay , and purchased Microsoft office for Mac for 5.50. Once I get the code for the windows update I'll hopefully do the same again .

Yesterday I spent time tidying up bedroom and the other room.
    I have to make sure everything is as tidy as can be as I have person from eon checking the boiler , plus I have a new bed on weds
    The king size is going the same day ..

Today , I don't think I'll be at the gym. I'm expecting dyson battery
    I will phone surgery and hope that the prescription is ready to collect
    If it is , I'll probably get it tomorrow morning
    Speaking of medication , I chucked loads of old stuff away.
    I do have quite a bit if the medicine left that I'm after from the surgery today but if I don't make a fuss , they'll carry on taking liberties..
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 13th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Happy New Year AC !!

Pleased to read you're doing well still...

Maybe I missed this but why have you bought a refurbished PC?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 20, 4:24 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Happy New Year AC !!

Pleased to read you're doing well still...

Maybe I missed this but why have you bought a refurbished PC?
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Hello Anna Happy new year ! Glad that you found me ..
    Mmm..reason I purchased a refurbished pc? I need to polish up on my windows which is basic at the best of times . I looked into getting the Apple version of Microsoft office , but Apple were more interested in covering themselves for 3rd warranty etc. They weren't much help
    I just wanted the exact format as windows when I open .

So, I went on the tech board , and I was advised to get a refurbished pc. I even got links to reliable sellers . It may be a mistake , but in another way I have windows .
    I say I have windows (10) but am still waiting for the proper code to be sent .

Not sure if I'm doing well tbh ,as being on universal credit sucks the life out of me ..
    • harz99
    • By harz99 13th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 3,050 Thanks
    harz99
    Good luck with the EON assessor tomorrow AC, shall be interested as to how you get on, especially with the location of your boiler being as it is. All fingers and toes crossed...
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 20, 5:32 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks Harz
    They'll be assessing the whole flat , looking for improvements to my home if possible . TBH , I don't think that they can do any additional work as I'm on a ground floor conversion . The boiler location being the most awkward .

I doubt if I'll get a definitive answer tomorrow , as they take a few days for me to go my application regarding checkups on my universal credit and my status as homeowner .
    I have all relevant paperwork to hand ..
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Jan 20, 6:00 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. I always read but haven't posted. Just wanted to say we had our survey with eon on friday (after seeing you post about it, we looked in to it, thank you) he came out, took details of boiler, drew plan of house and where radiators were, he photographed each radiator. Then he photographed all our paperwork, mortgage statement etc and gave us a price there and then, we have to pay a bit more as need a new thermostat and pipes to gas meter. Just waiting for eon to contact us with an install date now. Its costing us 420 to replace our 18 year old boiler with a worchester Bosch one and he was here about half hour. Think they had already done the HMRC's checks. Hope your survey goes as smoothly.
    LBM in April 17 - 13376/33554 (39.8%) paid.
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = 2682/76350 paid.
    Total debt @ 1st June 18=102311 @1st Jan 19 94515 93846
    SPC #016 2020 1% challenge #33 = 1% 53.79/5000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 20, 6:23 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks for dropping by Charles.
    If I get that sort of price to pay , I'll be very happy .
    Check here tomorrow for an update
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Okay , the survey was just carried out from EON
    I had all the relevant information to hand , or so I thought .
    Being mortgage free, I did a print out of my offer to buy to the estate agents. This contained a message by me advising them that I would not use their conveying co, but mine .
    I also had a printout of service charges from the managing agents .
    This should prove that I am the home moaner .
    The assessor took a pic of my online universal credit page .
    I had a council tax bill which has been altered due to my universal credit circumstances . They may want more proof . Land registry etc
    I have an envelope containing everything from my solicitor ..but mislaid it ! Annoying , as I tidied up and put it away into a packed sports bag with the rest of my life

So, the man was to the point no nonsense person . The first thing he said was that the new boiler will have to be moved to the other wall on the other side of the window ,and higher up . Not where I have it presently underneath the window . He did lots of technical drawings, photographs , filling in questions from EON etc.
    At the end he couldn't give a direct quote for obvious reasons .
    He did say it looks favourable and should cost less than 600
    Result ! Fingers crossed etc.

I now have to dismantle bed for tomorrow's collection . I will ether sleep on the mattress or one of the chair beds tonight . Doubt I'll get much sleep either way , but if all goes well tomorrow night with a new bed should be a great move or turn in the right direction .
    I'm hoping that the old bed gets collected first and the new bed after .

I was expecting my dyson battery . I saw from the window the postman pressing the intercom of the flat opposite and walking away
    I needed to get a bit of food shopping from the local Sainsbury's
    When I got back there was a card in the door . Left with neighbour .
    Hopefully I'll get it and can vacuum sometime today .

I haven't heard from the company that sold laptop , but not sure if I'm jumpy . I'll wait till tomorrow and ask them again for code .
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 14th Jan 20, 1:01 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 30,278 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi AC,

Great result with Eon.

Yay to the new laptop, you'll be a Windows wizard in no time

Hope that the bed arrives quickly tomorrow.

Happy hoovering!

Pmo2
    xx
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jan 20, 4:18 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks pmo2

I managed to take the bed apart and put most of it into the hallway
    There are 2 bolts that just won't shift to take a leg off and the metal headboard . Metal bed . Had for 17 and a half years .
    The mattress is in the hallway also . I am paying an extra 6 as I have a large plastic crate I don't need anymore .
    Seeing as I had 4 last year filled with rubbish it will be great to get rid
    It means I've chucked 4 cratefuls of rubbish away.

The new bed will be delivered between 7am- midday

I sent email to people who sold me laptop . I was asked to send picture of sticker with the code ( that doesn't work). Without that code I can't access windows . I'm awaiting response .
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Amazing result with your new boiler. You may not like UC, and hopefully you will be able to put it behind you, but every cloud has a silver lining and without UC you would not be about to get a new boiler!

Really pleased for you
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks DIA
    It's true what' you say . Small mercies and all that.

I've just taken a chance with the mattress . I put it outside my door .
    This means that it is going towards the area where the neighbours pram is . I had to move the pram towards my door and more central
    Then again , it's only till tomorrow morning and that baby must be about 20 now . Hopefully nothing is said

It means I can go about my business in the kitchen . It was uncomfortable moving from the kitchen to the front room . I couldn't have my supper in the living room . I was the vertical equivalent of a limbo dancer, if ever there was such a thing .
    It means there's not too much inconvenience for the rest of the evening and morning .
    Tomorrow hopefully will be straightforward , whoever turns up first ..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jan 20, 7:14 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Quote from EON 240.00
    Booking installation date tomorrow afternoon ..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jan 20, 7:16 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Quote from EON : 240.00
    Will pay and book installation tomorrow afternoon ..

Screen freeze made me post twice . Oh , well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,459Users online

Martin's Twitter