Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 31st Dec 19, 2:54 PM
    • 118Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Rocksolid
    Mortgage chance for newbie in UK
    • 31st Dec 19, 2:54 PM
    Mortgage chance for newbie in UK 31st Dec 19 at 2:54 PM
    Hello,

I'm less that one year in UK and I'm wondering how much a lender may be willing to give me a mortgage, regardless the amount for now.

Do you think is required at least 3 years of permanence here or I can try even now? I ask because this will result in my credit history and is not good if I already know it will fail , plus I have few request for loans (my mistakes, I didn't know they were hard checks), and I didn't get them for my short time of permanence in UK, this was after 3 months I came here.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 31st Dec 19, 3:39 PM
    • 35,769 Posts
    • 19,578 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 31st Dec 19, 3:39 PM
    • 31st Dec 19, 3:39 PM
    EU/EEA or not?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 31st Dec 19, 4:39 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Rocksolid
    • 31st Dec 19, 4:39 PM
    • 31st Dec 19, 4:39 PM
    EU, why?

Adding a bit of text for minimum text required
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 31st Dec 19, 5:07 PM
    • 6,892 Posts
    • 4,724 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 31st Dec 19, 5:07 PM
    • 31st Dec 19, 5:07 PM
    EU, why?

Adding a bit of text for minimum text required
    Originally posted by Rocksolid
    Because Kingstreet is a broker and there is a reason because he/she knows what lenders like and do not like.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 31st Dec 19, 6:35 PM
    • 35,769 Posts
    • 19,578 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 31st Dec 19, 6:35 PM
    • 31st Dec 19, 6:35 PM
    You should have at least three lender options open to you and any decent broker will know who they are and if you fit their other criteria.

Non-EU/EEA means visa duration requirements and/or LTV limits.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 31st Dec 19, 7:33 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Rocksolid
    • 31st Dec 19, 7:33 PM
    • 31st Dec 19, 7:33 PM
    Yes but this means to do 3 applications=3 hard checks, right?
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 31st Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 31st Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    • 31st Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    No it means finding a lender that has the product and other criteria most suitable for you.
    The hard search will only happen you make the application.
    • LRmortgage
    • By LRmortgage 1st Jan 20, 9:15 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    LRmortgage
    • 1st Jan 20, 9:15 AM
    • 1st Jan 20, 9:15 AM
    There should be options for you. Speak to a broker who understands your circumstances and they should be able to place with one lender rather than many applications.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 15th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Rocksolid
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    Thanks to all, currently I'm evaluating with a soft search (I didn't know about it), called Decision in Principle.
    Last edited by Rocksolid; 15-01-2020 at 4:00 PM.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th Jan 20, 4:52 PM
    • 5,731 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    Thanks to all, currently I'm evaluating with a soft search (I didn't know about it), called Decision in Principle.
    Originally posted by Rocksolid
    Are you picking random lenders ? Your better off with a whole of market broker as suggested.
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 15th Jan 20, 6:41 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Rocksolid
    Are you picking random lenders ? Your better off with a whole of market broker as suggested.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat

An advisor is taking care of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,147Posts Today

6,177Users online

Martin's Twitter