Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Dec 19, 9:20 AM
    • 5,052Posts
    • 32,193Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Midlife Musings and Measurable Goals
    • 31st Dec 19, 9:20 AM
    Midlife Musings and Measurable Goals 31st Dec 19 at 9:20 AM
    I looked back at my MSE diary from 2016. I wanted a dog, a car and a trip to NY. I wanted to be DF and MF. Things change. I am DF and MF and I did get a car, although driving wasn’t all it was cracked up to be so I’m letting it go. I don’t much fancy New York anymore, I prefer rural Scotland.

I am embarking on creating the life I want to live. I have a tiny income, but I am free and that outweighs any money stresses I might experience. There are loads of things I want to achieve in 2020, all the normal stuff like holidays and creative activities and optimum health. I want to get organised and start a morning and evening routine. I want to get serious about work and serious about living my best possible life. Oh, and I still want a dog…

Here are my measurable goals

Tech
    20 new tech steps mastered and implemented (1-2 a month)

MSE
    20 premium bonds purchased (1-2 month) £500 at the end of the year
    20 NSDs a month
    20 new MSE actions that improve my financial situation (1-2 a month)

Work
    20 applications to raise my creative profile (1-2 a month)
    20 things applied for to support my creative process.
    2020 pounds earned from my creative work in 2020
    20 hours a week focused creative work

House
    20 new home improvements (1-2 a month)
    2020 is the year the house goes on the market
    20 items out of the house every month

Health and fitness
    20 miles a month walked or cycled (5 miles a week)
    20 kilos lost in a year (This equates to a pound a week)
    20 parks or open green spaces visited a year (1-2 a month)
    20 AFDs a month

Some of these are big goals! Wish me luck. I have a feeling I’ll need it
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
Page 6
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 9:29 PM
    • 68,504 Posts
    • 313,031 Thanks
    beanielou
    Meant to say pity it's not my part of the world.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Jan 20, 10:01 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 11,967 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hurrah for the bursary and for coming to Scotland
    Debt free May 2016
    Campervan loan progress 39%... MFW progress tbc

• jwil
    • By jwil 15th Jan 20, 8:08 AM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 42,958 Thanks
    jwil
    Congrats on the bursary
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 15th Jan 20, 8:14 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    So pleased about the bursary news, well done and what a great start to the year.
    I am a beautiful, balanced, spiritual being who is transitioning to her perfect weight.
    My mantra is "What frog am I going to kiss and transform today
    My symbol for 2020 is the golden eagle & winged white horse and my numbers are 7 and 33
    I am joyfully and creatively sticking to my budge
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Jan 20, 8:53 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Really well done on the bursary. Can you set yourself a work target to be achieved before heading off? It may help carve out work time.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £64761.98 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £946.16 target £1000 by 31/12/19
    Emergency fund £4266/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Jan 20, 9:45 AM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 6,488 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Fab news on the bursary
    Bad Debts Busted: 10/10
    NSD Target: 14/20
    VSP #12 £17.12
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 20, 4:07 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,193 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a good GP
    Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I truly appreciate it

@Beanie, yes I wish it was nearer to your part of Scotland too. We could have met for tea and cake or Edinburgh gin
    @ INOD, yes great idea to set a target for work done before the trip

TODAY

A good GP appointment with better than expected news. (I feel I have had such good luck this week) The surgery encourages us to see any GP and to do so makes it quicker, but I wait longer and see my own GP who is excellent. I have had not good GPs in the past so I am extra appreciative to have a good one now

The window surveyor called to make an appointment and I remembered to ask for an early appointment so I donít spend all day stressing unnecessarily and use it as an excuse not to work that day. He will be coming next week at 8am.

Two for sale signs went up this week. Iíve had a nosey at how they are marketing our road and also it was interesting to see the kitchens and bathrooms are quite basic. Interesting...

Have a good evening everyone
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 15th Jan 20, 8:17 PM
    • 4,673 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    mark88man
    you should ask your neighbours (or the estate agent) if you can have a look round. an if they are upset about you wasting their time I've found its always ok to upset people who are going to be gone gone gone very soon

good idea to check out the EA from a purchase perspective - as that is how they would behave to people trying to buy your house!!
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:16K@0% - Car Loan:6K@2.8% - Mort:118K@2.1% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2018:£16K

• Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 16th Jan 20, 8:09 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    (I feel I have had such good luck this week)
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    If one beieves and feels they are lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.
    - Maya Angelou ,
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 16-01-2020 at 8:18 AM.
    I am a beautiful, balanced, spiritual being who is transitioning to her perfect weight.
    My symbol for 2020 is the golden eagle & winged white horse and my numbers are 7 and 33
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 16th Jan 20, 7:39 PM
    • 10,273 Posts
    • 21,539 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Glad things are picking up for you. Roll on the weekend and some time to chill.
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 16th Jan 20, 8:41 PM
    • 4,673 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    mark88man
    If one beieves and feels they are lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.
    - Maya Angelou ,
    Originally posted by Msmoneyspider
    Nice quote

here's one I like from my days of online poker (which wasted time not money) -

"if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all"
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:16K@0% - Car Loan:6K@2.8% - Mort:118K@2.1% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2018:£16K

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,193 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    First lesson of the day: it is easier for me to make FROG phone calls outside of the house. Why? Not sure, but it makes sense for me to pack the paper and make difficult calls outside of the house. And that is what I did today

I made a few financial calls:
    I called to negotiate a better BB deal. Got £9 off a month. Will look at other providers and get back to them. Then I made the first step in shifting some funds. That was okay too...

I waited patiently for the clothing items I have wanted all winter to be reduced. Bingo!

I used my credit card to pay for the following:
    A cardigan reduced by 60%
    Gloves reduced by 40%
    A skirt reduced by 60%

If I keep the items the monies will come from my food budget for next month but my freezer is well stocked so thatís okayÖI will pay back my credit card in full when it becomes due regardless of the dent it makes in my day to day spending. This month there is no council tax so that will help

Talking of food. I have a turkey crown carcass and lots of lovely veggies so I will be making a mega soup to tomorrow. I love soup.

Wishing you all a lovely evening
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 18-01-2020 at 8:56 PM.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 17th Jan 20, 10:20 PM
    • 10,273 Posts
    • 21,539 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Glad your db pensions bring you some peace.

Some great savings on the clothes too. I bought some stuff for #50 yesterday that were #170 full price. Bought some sizes for choice (and to get free delivery) - expect to send #20-30 back.

Soup sounds lovely. Nothing better to ward off the winter chill - a good old fashioned broth.
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 20, 12:11 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,193 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad your db pensions bring you some peace.

Some great savings on the clothes too. I bought some stuff for #50 yesterday that were #170 full price. Bought some sizes for choice (and to get free delivery) - expect to send #20-30 back.

Soup sounds lovely. Nothing better to ward off the winter chill - a good old fashioned broth.
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Thanks savingholmes. I wouldn't go as far as saying my 2 (very tiny) DB pensions bring me peace. I would like to bring in enough income for several years so I can supplement them and lead a financially wealthier older age, but if I can't for whatever reason I know I can 'live large on less' until state pension age.

My clothes arrived today some items are okay but they going back. I have to LOVE an item to keep it these days and I LOVE the cardigan and gloves so they stay

I hope you love the clothes you ordered too
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 20, 12:39 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,193 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the natural world
    An at home day today. Nice to see some sunshine coming in through the window
    Cooking, cleaning, decluttering as yes you guessed it, the house is a tip.

I made some lovely soup, going to make: beetroot burgers, a big salad box and a veggie curry and some brown turmeric rice. Probably a garlic, lemon, tahini dressing too.

I hope it is the sunshine that has lifted my mood and not my delivery of my rather gorgeous gloves that I have been stalking for a price drop 2 whole years and my cardigan that I have been eyeing for a mere 5 months. I like to think the natural world excites me more than new clothes but I'm not convinced

Have a lovely Saturday.
    • Mrs Boo Boo
    • By Mrs Boo Boo 18th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    Mrs Boo Boo
    Hi there DIA
    Late to the party,but have now subscribed.
    Congrats on the bursary. Great news.
    Am on leave this week,apart from Monday with my other job so feeling hopeful and want to be productive.
    Beautiful day today despite a hard frost this morning. Washing on line,for a change.
    You have reminded me that me and DH need to sort out our pensions or at least get some advice on what we can expect. I am in the 50 club too.

Glad you are getting there with the house.

Went to body balance and visited a farm shop for the first time on the way home. Doing my bit to spend my money locally and it's not wrapped in plastic either.

Love the goals for the year. We talked about goals in my groups this week. Always good to have one, even if it doesn't work out exactly. Need something to strive for and when one is completed,make another one to keep up the momentum.

Take care
    xxx

• Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 20th Jan 20, 6:59 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Wear your new clothes to keep you warm in the natural world and you have the best of both . (love the sound of those gloves ……. and the garlic, lemon and tahini dressing)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,193 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    zinc should do it
    Yesterday I met a friend and saw an exhibition. My friend is a member so I saw it for free but all the other things such as fares and drinks added up and I still spent £20. Hmm, quite a bit but it was worth it for a lovely time.

The surveyor has been and gone and says the windows should be done during February. I need to get the money lined up to pay the balance.

I cleared the windowsill for the surveyor and realise what a difference leaving it clear makes. So nothing will go on there in future not even a houseplant!

Today is not a work day. I need to do life admin and will see if I can get my haircut.

I have been sneezing and I'm snotty so I was surprised to have slept well. I will take zinc to try and banish this cold/virus/bug

Wishing you all a positive start to your week
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 20th Jan 20, 7:17 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Think how easy it is to fritter £20.00 away, but you are making every penny count and doing things you enjoy, buying things you value. That is money well spent, in my world .
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 20th Jan 20, 10:14 PM
    • 10,273 Posts
    • 21,539 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hi DIA

Not sure if I congratulated you on the bursary - but really pleased for you.

On the kitchen front - I couldn't believe it yesterday when I saw a 1964 kitchen cupboard for sale for £695 in an antique warehouse! It was exactly what my grandparents used to have even to the soft mid blue. I was able to show DS - not that it would mean the same to him...

Good that you are getting your windows done. Lovely too to have freedom. I crave freedom at the moment - I just want to press pause and have a few months off!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,712Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter