Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Dec 19, 9:20 AM
    • 5,030Posts
    • 32,069Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Midlife Musings and Measurable Goals
    • 31st Dec 19, 9:20 AM
    Midlife Musings and Measurable Goals 31st Dec 19 at 9:20 AM
    I looked back at my MSE diary from 2016. I wanted a dog, a car and a trip to NY. I wanted to be DF and MF. Things change. I am DF and MF and I did get a car, although driving wasn’t all it was cracked up to be so I’m letting it go. I don’t much fancy New York anymore, I prefer rural Scotland.

I am embarking on creating the life I want to live. I have a tiny income, but I am free and that outweighs any money stresses I might experience. There are loads of things I want to achieve in 2020, all the normal stuff like holidays and creative activities and optimum health. I want to get organised and start a morning and evening routine. I want to get serious about work and serious about living my best possible life. Oh, and I still want a dog…

Here are my measurable goals

Tech
    20 new tech steps mastered and implemented (1-2 a month)

MSE
    20 premium bonds purchased (1-2 month) 500 at the end of the year
    20 NSDs a month
    20 new MSE actions that improve my financial situation (1-2 a month)

Work
    20 applications to raise my creative profile (1-2 a month)
    20 things applied for to support my creative process.
    2020 pounds earned from my creative work in 2020
    20 hours a week focused creative work

House
    20 new home improvements (1-2 a month)
    2020 is the year the house goes on the market
    20 items out of the house every month

Health and fitness
    20 miles a month walked or cycled (5 miles a week)
    20 kilos lost in a year (This equates to a pound a week)
    20 parks or open green spaces visited a year (1-2 a month)
    20 AFDs a month

Some of these are big goals! Wish me luck. I have a feeling I’ll need it
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
Page 5
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 11th Jan 20, 11:47 AM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    mark88man
    Good luck with the bursary

Don't sweat the workshop - I find things I miss deadlines for are usually those I didn't truly want to go to
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:16K@0% - Car Loan:6K@2.8% - Mort:118K@2.1% = 140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K 2018:16K

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 20, 1:53 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good luck with the bursary
    Don't sweat the workshop - I find things I miss deadlines for are usually those I didn't truly want to go to
    Originally posted by mark88man
    Thanks mark88 I agree! That said the workshop was on demystifying funding applications. I didn't want to go but I probably need to do these sort of things...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 11th Jan 20, 4:51 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    mark88man
    Ha yes. You don’t have to love money but you need to know how to unlock it!!
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Jan 20, 9:29 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 21,844 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I don't think you're selfish in allowing the relationship to fizzle out with the person you bumped into. She obviously saps your strength and, as you say, you need all your energy at the moment. I've filtered certain people like her out of my own life over the years and haven't regretted it.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 17
    My diary: Paid off the 31,000! BUT- still scrimping!
    • 24ta
    • By 24ta 11th Jan 20, 9:44 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    24ta
    I don't think you're selfish in allowing the relationship to fizzle out with the person you bumped into. She obviously saps your strength and, as you say, you need all your energy at the moment. I've filtered certain people like her out of my own life over the years and haven't regretted it.
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58

Completely agree with this
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 12th Jan 20, 7:07 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    I'll join you in gazing at the moon! February 9th is the 'snow moon'. I would like to see some snow this winter, would even go sledging. Best wishes for your bursary ….
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 12-01-2020 at 7:10 AM.
    I am a beautiful, balanced, spiritual being who is transitioning to her perfect weight.
    My mantra is "What frog am I going to kiss today
    My symbol for 2020 is the golden eagle & winged white horse and my numbers are 9 &13
    I am joyfully and creatively sticking to my budge
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 20, 4:10 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Completely agree with this
    Originally posted by 24ta
    Thanks both. It helps to know other people understand this decision. I meet her tomorrow morning but it will be a short meeting and I won't mention another meet. I will keep it open.
    I'll join you in gazing at the moon! February 9th is the 'snow moon'. I would like to see some snow this winter, would even go sledging. Best wishes for your bursary .
    Originally posted by Msmoneyspider
    I can't say I would welcome snow right now but I have diarised the next moon so thank you.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 20, 4:11 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    hyacinths
    The plan was get up and go off to work for the day but I was completely drained when I woke so gave in and slept late. The house is a mess again so I thought I would get it all straight. I also needed to a batch cook so I have packed lunches for the week so doing that too. Ive been home this weekend so Im disappointed I am not a bit more organised on the home front.

Not much energy today, even fell asleep sitting up so very little done.

Phoned in energy bills
    Checked all bank balances

Batch cooked

AF/NSD

Dishes X4
    Cleaned dining room

Dumped joyless flowers and a joyless plant and substituted hyacinth bulbs that were under the stairs since before Christmas but have started flowering

Dank and grey weather has returned so hot water bottle, tea and TV tonight.

Enjoy your evening
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry to hear of you feeling drained at the moment DIA . It won't last
    You're still doing loads . Sometimes it's best to stop everything and have a day off to recharge the batteries .
    Even if you plan stuff to do another day , it's not totally wasted and you'd feel better for it .
    Looks like the grey and rainy weather is here for most of the week
    Sorry
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Jan 20, 6:57 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 11,965 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Another vote for catch up days here. I cleaned the bathroom and shampooed a carpet yesterday which wasn't at all what I was supposed to be doing, but it made me feel so much more effective and that has helped today go well.

If you find someone is draining your energy then it makes sense to either allow it to fizzle completely, or if you feel there are still good parts of the friendship then set some boundaries. I had a couple of phone calls from someone this week who has just split up with her boyfriend - coincidence, I think not - and this time I told her I had stuff to do and needed to get off the phone. Not offering twice a week 3 hour calls any more, and actually she was fine about it. Boundaries are a good thing.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    Campervan loan progress 39%... MFW progress tbc

• Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 13th Jan 20, 7:36 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    I hope you feel a bit more energetic tomorrow DIA . I think the grey weather makes everything so much worse. Glad you got tidied up again.
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 13th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    My orchid, in the office, has finally stopped flowering and is giving up the ghost. I will replace it with a bowl of hyacinth bulbs. Thank you for the inspiration. (Just wish I had thought ahead like you)!
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 13-01-2020 at 8:12 PM.
    I am a beautiful, balanced, spiritual being who is transitioning to her perfect weight.
    My mantra is "What frog am I going to kiss today
    My symbol for 2020 is the golden eagle & winged white horse and my numbers are 9 &13
    I am joyfully and creatively sticking to my budge
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 20, 6:12 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry to hear of you feeling drained at the moment DIA . It won't last
    You're still doing loads . Sometimes it's best to stop everything and have a day off to recharge the batteries .
    Even if you plan stuff to do another day , it's not totally wasted and you'd feel better for it .
    Looks like the grey and rainy weather is here for most of the week
    Sorry
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Thanks AC. Feeling a bit better today and you are right about the weather, still awful...
    Another vote for catch up days here. I cleaned the bathroom and shampooed a carpet yesterday which wasn't at all what I was supposed to be doing, but it made me feel so much more effective and that has helped today go well.

If you find someone is draining your energy then it makes sense to either allow it to fizzle completely, or if you feel there are still good parts of the friendship then set some boundaries. I had a couple of phone calls from someone this week who has just split up with her boyfriend - coincidence, I think not - and this time I told her I had stuff to do and needed to get off the phone. Not offering twice a week 3 hour calls any more, and actually she was fine about it. Boundaries are a good thing.
    Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Thanks Rosa. Well done on shampooing a carpet. Another thing I need to do. Off to add it to my list...
    I hope you feel a bit more energetic tomorrow DIA . I think the grey weather makes everything so much worse. Glad you got tidied up again.
    Originally posted by Sunshine girl2
    Thanks SSG2. I bought lots of green veggies, vitamins and liquid iron today. Lets hope they help my energy levels
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    time for tea
    Busy day. I saw a film, met a friend and shopped for vitamins and green veggies to help me feel less like the living dead.

Tomorrow I have a GP appointment. It feels like the week is running away from me and I haven't had a work day yet

I am starting to tell friends I am only available at weekends as I am working (on project) during the week. I need to get used to using my time better or I won't progress the way I need to...

The REALLY GOOD NEWS is I got the bursary. 100% of the amount I applied for . It is worth several hundred pounds to me so I am really very pleased. So Scotland here I come, well not now but in the early Spring

Off to do a happy dance and make a cup of celebratory tea
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    another casualty
    Great news about the bursary
    That's one off your list of important things and a weight off your shoulders .

You are obviously very busy with lots to do , and will be for some time DIA . You seem much better today.
    Just keep ticking boxes on your list as and when and all should be well..
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 7:42 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,656 Thanks
    beanielou
    Awesome news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Jan 20, 7:52 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well done on the bursary
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 14th Jan 20, 8:05 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    mark88man
    well done on the bursary and on the half price travel because you took a calculated risk - you gotta be in it to win it

• Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 14th Jan 20, 8:21 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    Great news on the bursary. Scotland here you come.
    • 24ta
    • By 24ta 14th Jan 20, 9:15 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    24ta
    Good news on the Bursary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,376Posts Today

4,583Users online

Martin's Twitter