Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 31st Dec 19, 8:28 AM
    • 12,369Posts
    • 87,409Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab - A Whole New World.
    • 31st Dec 19, 8:28 AM
    Frump to Fab - A Whole New World. 31st Dec 19 at 8:28 AM
    Good morning Lovely Ladies (and Gents if you're reading along).

A big welcome to one and all - newbies, returners, delurkers and, of course, all our regulars. It's been 9 years now that some of us have been together and it doesn't seem a day too long......

Some people have marriages that don't last that long,

I feel that we have become family.

And here we are....New Years Eve.

And not just any ordinary new year in the offing either but a whole new decade. Isn't that exciting.

I don't know if it's just me being fanciful but I can feel change in the air as if the whole world is poised, ready for something, waiting for change to happen.

Will it be good, will it be difficult.....who knows but one thing is for sure.......it feels like a great time to be alive.

So..........Are we all ready to meet the challenges of the next decade.

Are we full of enthusiasm and hope or are some of us a little nervous and anxious,

Are we all in fine fettle, fit and raring to go. Or have some of us lost our mojo somewhere along the way.

Don't worry if you are not feeling it yet.........just make this year the year you finally kiss the Frump goodbye forever. Make this the year you rediscover your inner goddess. Make this the year when you reclaim the real YOU and become the fabulous woman you were destined to be. Make this the year you find your va va voom.

I've posted early to give you the time to think about what you want to achieve this year. Not to make resolutions that you are destined to break but to set long term plans in motion to achieve your personal goals.

For the newbies.......many of us like to chose a word or phrase which sums up what we want to achieve or become. A word or phrase that inspires and motivates us.

Don't worry if you can't think of one at the moment - it will come to you in a flash of inspiration.

Again for the newbies.....the advice you will receive here from everyone is to be kind to yourself, take it slowly and gently. Baby steps. Don't try to take on too much all at once and remember none of us is perfect, we all have days when we feel like throwing in the towel. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day and fall off the Fabbing Wagon. It won't make you a failure.

I would also add ......Please, as well as being kind to yourselves, be kind to each other. Please don't judge each other harshly. Please treat everyone on this thread the way you would like to be treated yourself, with courtesy, respect and kindness.

It doesn't matter how or why you became a Frump - that's in the past now. What's done is done. But, it's never too late to make a fresh start. It's now time to look forwards, to sashay forth decked out in all your finery and as you welcome the new decade welcome in the next chapter of your story.

Onwards and upwards my friends.

Heres to 2020.

Get those glad rags on.......and get ready to meet the new decade in style.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 31-12-2019 at 8:34 AM.
Page 7
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Jan 20, 3:51 PM
    • 21,270 Posts
    • 125,768 Thanks
    maman
    Well finally, I've kicked that wretched virus into touch and am feeling human at last.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    That's good news. It's really dragged on.

That's exactly the weighted blanket that I bought Wednesday and DGD loves it.

Just back from lunch with my friend. I wore my William Morris print tunic top with leggings and knee length boots and got compliments.

It's my art group tonight, looking forward to that. It's a miserable, wet and quite cold day here so I'm glad I've got things on to stop me thinking about it and keep SAD at bay.
    • savingmore
    • By savingmore 13th Jan 20, 11:37 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    savingmore
    thanks for the recommendation on the weighted blanket wednesday, i am going to get one this month and just didnít know where to start deciding so will have a look at that one.

from seeing so many ill over. hristmas, i have spent the weekend in bed feeling lousy. travelling home tomorrow so hope i feel better....hoping to start on all my challenges at weekend.

glad you are feeling better LL, itís been a long time for you. any idea what you might see at the theatre next month?

• maman
    • By maman 14th Jan 20, 11:13 AM
    • 21,270 Posts
    • 125,768 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for the recommendation on the weighted blanket Wednesday, I am going to get one this month and just didn’t know where to start deciding so will have a look at that one.
    Originally posted by savingmore
    They may be in stock now but our John Lewis only had information and some sample pieces available last month. I think the popularity had almost taken them by surprise. I have to confess I'd never even heard of them until DGD put it on her Christmas list. I ordered mine Click & Collect to be delivered to our local Waitrose. I'm glad I did as they have a car park whereas I'd have needed to carry it from John Lewis. Surprisingly enough, they're heavy.

Art group was OK last night but not one of the better ones. The talk was called Jewelled Journeys about opulent travelling from the Ancient Egyptians up to about Victorian times. So the actual transport modes like boats to train carriages and some of the luggage and other items that the wealthy took with them. He was a good speaker though, a jeweller by profession who'd made all the paste pieces for Downton Abbey.

I noticed that there are other groups in my area so I might drop into a few more if I find the subjects interesting. I love the peace of visiting galleries and having some knowledge can add to the experience although it's really not essential.

It's wet and miserable here again today although not as wild as yesterday. I'm planning to have a sort out of my winter skirts later. I need to decide whether there are any I'm never going to wear as It's already January and some are still stored from last year.

As I'm not going out until later I've put the flaxseed oil on instead of my serum. I may look like a greasy chip but it really does work!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jan 20, 12:12 PM
    • 12,369 Posts
    • 87,409 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies...

Maman. My donation to the charity shop yesterday was mainly skirts and sweaters that I decided were a bit old fashioned or just plain boring. I thought they were a bit "mumsey". Like you I figured it was January and I hadn't worn any of them so I could safely get rid.

Actually since losing weight I have changed my style a bit. I feel it's a bit more modern and youthful. One of the joys of losing all that extra weight is that I can now dress for fun and pleasure rather than always looking for styles, cuts and colours to cheat and make myself look slimmer Iyswim.

Choosing clothes and dressing nicely is so much easier now and so much more fun these days but it has also been a bit of a learning curve. It's trial and error but I think I'm getting there, experimenting, refining my style and honing my look.

My new mantra is "WWHMD" - What would Helen Mirren Do. Would she wear mumsey clothes, bet your sweet a@@ she would not. So I got rid. Time to up the glamour stakes, show off my new svelte shape. I don't need to hide my body anymore.I won't suddenly be revealing a lot of flesh but rather I shall concentrate on clothes that enhance rather than camouflage.

One thing I have found is that photos give a much better idea than the mirror of how I actually look, so now if a garment doesn't look good on me in photos I get rid. I think it's easy to delude ourselves when we look in a mirror. The camera is a much harsher critic and will reveal that actually that bra is no good, or that style of trouser makes me look short and dumpy. So now my clothes have to pass the photo test.

My DIL paid me a lovely compliment the other day. As you know her family are all very glamourous Latinos, seriously beautiful and good looking and it's hard not to feel a bit intimidated by them at times. And as they are all quite wealthy they can afford the best beauty treatments and fabulous clothes. They are all fashion mad. They are a big family and she has has several aunts all around my age. Anyway, unknown to me she often sends them pictures of me and my home. Apparently they've all told her they love my style, that they think I'm elegant and "classy".

I felt a bit embarrassed by their comments and laughed it off but she said no you really do look great these days.

Nice to know.......

I think my modus operandi of not trying to copy them But rather to concentrate on finding a style that suits me, my height, colouring has paid off. I do feel a lot more confident with my wardrobe choices now and I don't make so many mistakes.

Grey and miserable here, although thankfully not raining. Need to pop out for some milk and fruit and veg but no real plans. A bit more sorting and decluttering perhaps. Give myself a facial and manicure later.

Maman. Your comments about joining groups for talks etc is interesting and it's definitely on my agenda this year. I'm definitely up for broadening my horizons this year. Aiming to get the kitchen done by early May and then I'll have a lot more time to pursue other interests. Try new things and feed my mind.....so exhibitions, talks, lectures, seminars etc.

Tomorrow, I'm going with a friend to see a costume exhibition. 20s and 30s clothes, I think mainly evening wear. Designers such as Worth, Chanel - should be fun. Especially as my friend is actually a dress designer (semi retired). She is a Londoner, now decamped to the wilds of Derbyshire, who worked in the rag trade all her life. She is very stylish in that odd "designery" way of dressing. Very offbeat. She's a Londoner through and through but she reminds me a bit of Yoko Ono.

She really knows her stuff so she will be a fabulous guide tomorrow. Then a nice lunch and possibly a trip to a couple of chazzers. She really knows vintage so I love browsing round charity shops with her.

Right time to get cracking.....brunch first. Doing well on WW, enjoying healthy eating again and getting back on track. It's true, we are what we eat. I feel tons better.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 14-01-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 14th Jan 20, 1:50 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    Art group was OK last night but not one of the better ones. The talk was called Jewelled Journeys about opulent travelling from the Ancient Egyptians up to about Victorian times. So the actual transport modes like boats to train carriages and some of the luggage and other items that the wealthy took with them. He was a good speaker though, a jeweller by profession who'd made all the paste pieces for Downton Abbey.

I noticed that there are other groups in my area so I might drop into a few more if I find the subjects interesting. I love the peace of visiting galleries and having some knowledge can add to the experience although it's really not essential.
    Originally posted by maman
    Have you come across the National Art pass? It gets you into lots of places for free, and 50% off a lot of exhibitions.

I've been thinking about it, and you can currently get a 3 month trial one for £15, so now might be the time
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 3,467 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Trying my best to keep on top of my skin routine, and it seems to be working. I have been running the straighteners through my hair most mornings too, which I haven't done in years!

Weather is shocking here but I did manage a 4mile walk on sat, and have signed up for a 15mile walk in May. Bought some walking boots so will be out in them at the weekend I think
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Jan 20, 6:38 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 13,697 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

My daughter has now fully recovered and is able to return to work tomorrow.

I am still unwell, so I am getting as much as rest as possible around having the normal household cleaning and cooking to do.

I hope that all of you other ladies who are unwell, will soon turn the corner and recover your good health.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Jan 20, 11:25 AM
    • 21,270 Posts
    • 125,768 Thanks
    maman
    That's really good news about your DD sugarbaby. There seem to be lots of bugs around at the moment that go on and on. Hopefully now that you're not having to nurse her you can focus on yourself.

I have heard on the National Art pass but not sure I go to enough paid exhibitions to make use of it. I think recently it's only been Pre-Raphaelite women that I've had to pay an entrance fee for but it's something to think about for the future greenparrot. We still haven't used the English Heritage membership that we bought recently.

I looked through my skirts. There were 5 that I hadn't worn. I wore one last night. It's a grey velvet White Stuff skirt with embroidered leaves. Their patterned skirts are quite timeless so I'll keep that. I'm dancing again tonight so I'll wear another one to try and see how I feel in it.

Because it was so horrible yesterday I sat on the sofa in the afternoon and made up some tea cosies. 2 are finished, 1 has the bobble ready to be sewed on. I'll crack on with another later.

It's bright and dry here....at the moment.
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 15th Jan 20, 1:48 PM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    Feeling a bit down, not sure why. Decided to make myself a lemon meringue pie for lunch, just had a slice with a cuppa and I have to say it was lovely and I'm trying to resist having another. Grandson coming for dinner tonight so making a curry, does lemon meringue sound right for after a curry? I sort of think it doesn't but on the other hand I think I could eat it after anything. If he doesn't fancy it then it's more for me so a win win really.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 20, 2:12 PM
    • 27,776 Posts
    • 118,559 Thanks
    candygirl
    Not really feeling fab at the moment
    Had a really bad fall on Monday night.Went out to get a parcel n slipped n fell.Couldn't get up, as my right leg had gone completely numb.My neighbours came to help, but I had to literally crawl back into the house, n sort of drag myself up on the sofa! Very scary , n I'm full of bruises n very sore now
    Still waiting for the neurology appointment
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 15th Jan 20, 2:22 PM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    Candygirl so sorry to hear that, I'm feeling down about nothing so not surprised you aren't feeling great after a fall like that. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Last edited by thepurplepixie; 15-01-2020 at 9:45 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    • 12,369 Posts
    • 87,409 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good afternoon lovely ladies.

Beautifully sunny day here. Cold and windy but fresh, nice to blow the cobwebs away.

Had a fabulous time at the costume exhibition. As I thought mainly evening dress but also shoes, hats, bags etc. Chanel, Worth, Norman Hartnell. All from the 20s and 30s. What struck me was how timeless they were, especially Chanel. They really would not look out of place as formal wear today. And of course the craftsmanship was exquisite, all that beadwork must have taken hours. Everything made by hand. I bet the seamstresses would probably have been paid a pittance too.

But so inspiring. I really must buy myself a new sewing machine and start sewing again. . Although tbh with the price of fabrics it's cheaper to buy ready made, especially if I can pick up something from a charity shop.

Once again seeing costumes always reminds me just how spoilt we are these days with our ready to wear, off the peg, affordable clothing.

Then had a nice lunch at an Italian restaurant, went for a nice healthy salad and non alcoholic cocktail (I was driving). So a lovely day. It was so nice to get out at long last. Being so ill meant I was practically housebound for nearly 3 weeks. I was beginning to get cabin fever.....

SUgarbaby.....so glad your daughter is now recovered. She had a tough time of it, hope you aren't hit so badly and you start to pick up soon.

Omg. Candy. Hope you are ok hon. Take care. At least no bones broken but obviously very sore and painful. Hope your neurologist can help you - when you eventually get to see them. An awfully long wait for you.

Pixie....sorry to hear you are feeling low. I don't see why you can't have lemon merangue pie after a curry. Ok maybe its not traditional but who cares. I actually find most Asian style deserts far too sickly sweet so I never eat a pudding when I eat in Asian restaurants. I think a nice tangy lemon desert might go very well, quite refreshing. I don't eat pastry myself but I do love a lemon sorbet or lemon roulade after a rich meal. Nice and light.

Going to have a light supper, probably just an omelette and take it easy now.

I am really into reading at the moment. Just finished Katie Hopkins auto biography. I know she's a bit like marmite, love her or hate her. I like her, and thoroughly enjoyed her book. I'm now reading Grace Jones memoirs.....another strong, controversial and opinionated woman. Only just on chapter 1, so too soon for a verdict yet.

I have also been reading some academic tomes and feminist critiques and for light relief a bit of chick lit. Last night I didn't fancy reading so binge watched "The Devils W h o r e", set during the English civil war. I had seen it before several years ago but thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. Great story.....History made easy.

I am really looking forward to watching Catherine the Great (Helen Mirren) when its available. I confess I don't know much about Russian history and I find ploughing through Russian history books or literature is just too much like hard work.....so I take the easy way out and wait for the films or tv documentaries. Lazy or what.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 15-01-2020 at 4:11 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jan 20, 5:44 PM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 27,560 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm glad your daughter is feeling better Sugarbaby.

I have been busy decluttering and still cleaning! It never ends!

I am off out at the weekend to see my brother. We are going out around Leicester Square/Covent Garden area. We always used to go out there but now I go out much more in east London so it will nice to go back there for a change.

I'm going to be casual so I will wear my black New Look short dress, a top, my faux leather jacket and my skechers. That is becoming my uniform at the moment!

Feeling a bit down, not sure why. Decided to make myself a lemon meringue pie for lunch, just had a slice with a cuppa and I have to say it was lovely and I'm trying to resist having another. Grandson coming for dinner tonight so making a curry, does lemon meringue sound right for after a curry? I sort of think it doesn't but on the other hand I think I could eat it after anything. If he doesn't fancy it then it's more for me so a win win really.
    Originally posted by thepurplepixie
    Sorry you are feeling down. I love lemon meringue, delicious.

Not really feeling fab at the moment
    Had a really bad fall on Monday night.Went out to get a parcel n slipped n fell.Couldn't get up, as my right leg had gone completely numb.My neighbours came to help, but I had to literally crawl back into the house, n sort of drag myself up on the sofa! Very scary , n I'm full of bruises n very sore now
    Still waiting for the neurology appointment
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Oh no. That is a really long time to wait!

That's exactly the weighted blanket that I bought Wednesday and DGD loves it.
    Originally posted by maman
    Oh great.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Jan 20, 7:59 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 68,459 Thanks
    silvasava
    LL - the costume exhibition sounds fab. Many years ago I saw a display of a designer called Fortuny who designed for Lily Langtry. The detail and the intricate beading was absolutely stunning. He also pioneered fine pleating. I also went to the V&A some years ago that was displaying clothes from the 40's and 50's. The main impression was how sombre the colours were, browns, greys, black - no bright colours at all except Princess Margaret's ball gowns - she was so tiny!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 15th Jan 20, 8:53 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 3,467 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    LL sounds like a fab exhibition, I love looking at old clothes like that.

I also know little about Russian history. I found some historical fiction books set in Russia around WW2, but harking back to pre WW1, found them really interesting, the stories were good too. By an author called Sam Eastland. They follow a 'policeman' who has to negotiate the people in power while solving crimes.

Today I was doing two cleaning jobs, although I did spend the morning revising for my exam I sat this eve. I also bought a fleece to wear on walks and some walking shoes, so now I have boots and shoes. I also bought a new pair of pj's, I rarely buy new bedwear, but my favourite matching set is flannel and I am just too hot all the time to wear them now.

Came in had a shower and made the effort to just wash my fringe which was looking awful. Put some new jeans on to sit my exam.

Sat my exam. Its part of my fab journey, doing a course to help change my job.
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 16th Jan 20, 12:17 PM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    Wednesday I know I shouldn't say it but it was the nicest lemon meringue I've ever made and two big slices did alot to raise my mood. Maybe they should put it on prescription, well not with me making them all obviously that might lead to a very low mood.

Drawingaline, good luck with the exam, I hope it went well.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Jan 20, 3:25 PM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    chanie
    Ooo…. Russian history. I remember studying this for my A-levels (The Royal Family, Rasputin, Lenin etc) and finding it interesting. I'm going to read up on it.

Apologies for not posting for a while (although I have been keeping up to date). I have been busy with work (but in a good way) and I always think that no news is normally good news.
    2020 savings on purchases £1100.28
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    • 21,270 Posts
    • 125,768 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for posting chanie. Glad everything's OK.

Oooh what course are you doing drawingaline? I wish there was a nosey smiley, I'd use it daily.

I really enjoy historical fiction and then I read up on Wikipedia or one of my reference books to make sure I haven't confused the fiction with the historical facts. I don't know much about Russian history though. Does Dr Zhivago or Anna Karenina count?

A friend and I went to the exhibition of the Queen's dresses across the reign in the Buckingham Palace state rooms a couple of years back. It was the detail that impressed me too, amazing embroidery and beading.

I bought myself a dress in the CS today. It's a Warehouse multicoloured sort of beach dress which will look good over a bikini. It was in the everything costs a £1 shop so didn't break the bank! I also bought a book for 50p and a journal from TKMaxx that I'm going to use as my food diary/menu planner. And I went into Holland & Barret and bought a bottle of flaxseed oil as that will be easier to use on my face as serum than cracking open the capsules. All in all a good little shopping trip although I only went to buy some veg!

I wore a different skirt last night. It's a Monsoon one in a taupe and black printed velvet with a deep black band at the hem. It's another keeper although I need a top other than black to wear with it and also need to lose a pound or two more of my Christmas weight to feel comfortable in it as I noticed it's a size 10. I had a compliment on my nails too. That surprised me as they're not painted but looking really neat and tidy plus my hands are very soft. I think it's probably because we give hands a lot when we're dancing so maybe that's why they were noticed.

Sunny here first thing bit rain arrived.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Jan 20, 4:39 PM
    • 12,369 Posts
    • 87,409 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies

Blowing a gale here now, lashing down with rain. What larks. Luckily I managed my walk today before the rain started.

Roll on spring.....
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 16th Jan 20, 4:53 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hi all, a foul weather day here today, dark, wet and windy, but I keep reminding myself not to moan (just comment) about it as all those poor people in Australia would so welcome some of this wetness.

Not been doing anything much, still have after effects of virus, but at least have stopped loosing weight (apologies to those that would like to shed a little).

Had another fun afternoon at Knit N Natter yesterday. Maman - I used to knit a lot and quite well, but found concentration difficult, so it has been mainly scarves, hand warmers, shawls and neck warmers in lovely yarns and interesting colours. Now the RA is causing major difficulties with my hands so not much being produced. I optimistically bought some gorgeous Rowan yarn to make a loose tunic style sweater to wear over T shirts or slim roll necks, but have had to admit defeat and ask yarn shop owner friend to have it knitted up for me. It will be an expensive garment, but I have already spent a lot on the yarn, and it will be one of those investment pieces in the end.

LL - pleased that you are beginning to feel better, sugarbaby - I hope that you too feel better soon.

Apologies for not replying to the other posts at present, will try and catch up later.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,721Users online

Martin's Twitter