Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 31st Dec 19, 1:41 AM
    • 2,922Posts
    • 16,630Thanks
    girlatplay
    A Year in the Life of...
    • 31st Dec 19, 1:41 AM
    A Year in the Life of... 31st Dec 19 at 1:41 AM
    Out with the old and in with the new. I'm starting this new diary to document my financial 2020, including some blethering to connect the dots along the way. This is a follow-on from my previous diary.

I plan to document aims and goals for the year, with the overall year goals being:
    - to have reduced my loan balance to below £4k by this time next year
    - to have a larger amount in the Christmas fund than I did in 2019
    - to be a bit fitter (I have health issues and need to actively try harder with nutrition and fitness)

My debt position at 31st December 2020 is:
    - I/O mortgage outstanding balance £87,540
    - Personal loan outstanding balance £5,669.02

Q1 Plan
    DAILY
    Get outside every day
    Clear/bin/tidy one thing in the flat
    Plank 30 seconds
    Drink plenty of water
    Do something financial = survey/Tilly tidy/etc*
    Eat 3 meals + snacks

WEEKLY
    Meal plan
    Grocery shop

MONTHLY
    Financially = "find" £50 per month*

*these two are related

I was at a really good seminar in November and one of the speakers talked of a guy who decided one day that he wanted a 6 pack of abs. He was overweight, nowhere near 6 pack level and didn't want to go to the gym. In his mind he formed the plan that if he just did one sit up every day he would get a 6 pack eventually. Each day he did his one sit up and if he forgot and was in bed before he remembered, he was still able to do the one sit up in bed. As time went on he would lift the odd can of food as a weight just to mix it up a bit but still he continued to get down on the floor each day and do one sit up. One day he thought "I could do two sit ups while I'm down here." More time progressed and his one sit up turned into many. He now, apparently, has the 6 pack and is very fit.

I don't tell the story as well as the speaker but it stuck with me and I think this could work for me in certain areas of my life. I'm not looking for a 6 pack but I'm thinking that if I remove/tidy/bin one thing from my flat each day then eventually I'll remove two, three, four things just because I'm doing it anyway. I want to plank for 30 seconds every day to strengthen my core. Maybe I'll manage more further into the year if I'm down there anyway.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £5,517.67 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/09/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,530
Page 2
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 7th Jan 20, 4:01 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Finance update today:
    My sis received the cashback into her account today and has now forwarded it on to me. £17.50.

Total in the holding account as at today is: £141.07.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £5,517.67 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/09/2023
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 8th Jan 20, 5:21 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Yet another busy day at work today. I worked 5.5 hours again. Luckily I'm on flexi time now so I get the time back but I'll need to watch as I don't want to exhaust myself and be ill again.

The paella last night was a great success. I've been asked to make it again sometime. He says that about a lot of stuff I cook. A few weeks later I can't remember what the meals were or what I put in them haha.

The first week of the month (and year!) is now over. I'm keeping up with my daily aims apart from stumbling at one hurdle, the get outside every day one. Sunday's are the worst days as I rarely have plans other than with the washing machine, tv and couch. Technically I went outside on Sunday as I went to my folks' house for tea but it was 4:45pm and dark. The aim is to get out in the daylight. This Sunday I'm meeting my cousin for afternoon tea (a Christmas gift from her husband and she invited me ) so will be outside in the Sunday daylight this weekend.

I have been planking for 30 seconds every day. This is not getting easier. I'm struggling to get to the 30 seconds, but I'm doing it and I'm not prepared to do less than that so going to persevere.

I've been removing/sorting/tidying at least two items in the flat per day. One item was the aim and, actually, most days it's about 3-4 items (if I'm doing it anyway...) so this is going really well. I can't see any dent yet but I know I'm doing it so that's working for my mind.

I'm using my SAD lamp every morning now. Only at day 3 (this was not part of the Aims/Goals list) so not feeling any change yet but I'm trying.

I'm thinking that if I can freeze wine in ice cube trays, could I freeze it in bigger portions? I usually use about 100mls at a time in a recipe so that size would be useful. I remember being told that alcohol doesn't freeze so I wonder if wine has to be frozen in small portions so that it does. I have just under 100mls left of the small bottle I bought the other day so I might just give it a bash.

Financials today:

- 21p from a survey - balance is up to £2.98, cash out at £5. Will keep checking tonight.

- LMG sent an email to the college today to say she's not going back. I called the council to advise. Apparently I should have registered her for council tax when she turned 18. I had no idea about this. She is on the electoral role at this address and I though it was all linked. Apparently not. Since she has been a student all that time I am not liable for any other costs. They are registering her now and I should receive a bill in approximately 3 weeks.

Cash grocery fund has £77
    Asda card has £29
    Slush fund has £7 (gets topped up on a Friday when LMG pays her digs)
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 9th Jan 20, 4:38 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Really long day today. I'm so exhausted. I've worked 30 hours so far this week and I'm only contracted to 20. I'm on flexi now so it's not all bad but I'm starting to struggle.

Financial news:
    - Technically yesterday but I've managed to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. All above board and legal.
    - 90p survey complete and paid in survey account. £1.12 to go.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Jan 20, 8:02 AM
    • 11,521 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    jwil
    It should be ok to freeze in 100ml portions.

I didn't know that about Council Tax either!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 13th Jan 20, 9:26 AM
    • 10,236 Posts
    • 21,372 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Look after yourself. Are you planning to use your flexi for something nice?

I didn't know about the council tax either and never did it but then DS was a student throughout - and I too thought filling in the electoral roll doc was enough. It probably doesn't affect us anyway as I'm married - unless I am missing something?
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 20, 12:36 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,792 Thanks
    beanielou
    Forgot to subscribe.
    Take it easy
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 14th Jan 20, 2:39 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    It should be ok to freeze in 100ml portions.

I didn't know that about Council Tax either!
    Originally posted by jwil
    I'm going to try 100ml and I'll report back in the outcome

Glad it wasn't just me!

Look after yourself. Are you planning to use your flexi for something nice?

I didn't know about the council tax either and never did it but then DS was a student throughout - and I too thought filling in the electoral roll doc was enough. It probably doesn't affect us anyway as I'm married - unless I am missing something?
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    I had a rest day yesterday. Walked to the supermarket but that was it. It was nice and could have done it again today.

LMG has been a student the whole time too, I only contacted them because she is now no longer a student. If she still was I wouldn't have. Each person aged 18 or over at a property, student or otherwise, has to be registered there for CT. This is (and I quote) "a completely different thing" from being on the electoral roll/being registered to vote. The only thing I would say is that I'm in Scotland so I don't know if that makes it different.

Forgot to subscribe.
    Take it easy
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I was hoping you were ok

I've not been on for a few days. Had a suspected PE (had an actual one back in September) but they think it's just an infection in my lung so I have antibiotics for a week.

Wee rest day yesterday which was so worthwhile health-wise.

I'm a bit behind on my resolutions and I'm not allowed to plank for a bit. Been getting outside (even just flat to car to hospital to car to flat - not good enough but better than not leaving the house at all).

Financials:

This is the one resolution I've kept doing!

- over £5 on the survey site so will cash that out shortly.
    - bestie sent me 1p to check account details so I didn't insult her by offering it back - sent to holding account.
    - joined a new survey site and building up points already.

Negative financials :
    - Grocery fund is looking a bit dilapidated. £80 to last to 31st January. Totally doable if I'm careful so need to rein it in.
    - bought another cookbook it's Jack Monroe's Veganish. It will be well used but I don't normally spend more than £3 on a cookbook including postage and this was more than 3 times that.
    - met my beautiful cousin for afternoon tea on Sunday. It was her Christmas present and she chose to share it with me. She has paid the past twice we have been out together so I took it upon myself to pay the drinks bill. It wasn't huge in the grand scheme of things but I hadn't budgeted that much. I got a row of course but I feel I have now paid my way and I'll just have to juggle the slush fund for the rest of the month.

Can't remember if I have mentioned in this diary about boyfriend's niece getting married abroad this year. She is. Not sure of the plan yet but there's a 50/50 chance we might go, depending on what they ultimately decide. If we are going I need to up my savings game.

I'll report today's figures later.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,792 Thanks
    beanielou
    Cookbook tip~~order from library & photocopy the recipies you want

I have been hob nobbing with the great & good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 14th Jan 20, 4:37 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Just had a bit of a panic. Checked my council tax online account. They had done the calculation and decided I owed them just over £400, to include a small payment from last tax year I called to sort it out as I knew it couldn't be right and it turned out that someone had typed in 2019 instead of 2020 so it had calculated it from last year instead of this. Whew!!! They are going to fix it by the end of this week. Once I know the amount I owe them (£90-100 I reckon) I will pay it straight over and that will be that done.

So, funds balances at today:

Cash grocery fund £49
    Asda card £29 (and some pence)
    Slush fund £5 (this gets topped up on Fridays but I owe £15 this week and next out of it to cover naughty gap spending this week )
    Holding account £147.96

Once I've had the CT bill I'll know what is left in the holding account. I'll then make a payment to the loan account of £30 (that is my planned minimum overpayment each month unless I have to attend someone's wedding).
    I'll keep adding to whatever is left in the holding account then just before payday I'll split the balance between the Christmas savings account and the normal savings account.

I'll still note at the end of the month how I did with my £50 a month challenge, even though I'll have paid the £30 to the loan already (sooner it's paid over, the less interest is paid).
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 14th Jan 20, 4:40 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay

Yes, that is what I should do. Have done before but sometimes forget myself in the moment

Yes, I was reading about that on your diary. I hope you had a good day
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 5:53 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,792 Thanks
    beanielou
    It was certainly different!

***Keep plodding***
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 15th Jan 20, 6:49 AM
    • 10,236 Posts
    • 21,372 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hope you are feeling better GAP. Sounds like you need to take it easy.
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Jan 20, 8:04 AM
    • 11,521 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    jwil

I do this too - just take pictures on the phone.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 15th Jan 20, 1:40 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Hope you are feeling better GAP. Sounds like you need to take it easy.
    Thank you, I am. It was a really busy week last week which didn't help but I have to focus on leaving work early for the next week or so and plan another flexi day before the end of the month. I've lived with illness in some way or other for the past 18 years. My problem is I only share my health issues with a select few people (and the whole of the MSE forum) so the majority of people I know IRL don't know that there's anything wrong beyond me being tired all the time and wanting to go to the toilet alone I just want to be treated like a normal person and I definitely don't want people feeling sorry for me. It's invisible illness in more ways than one for me.

I do this too - just take pictures on the phone.
    Originally posted by jwil
    Funny, I do this when I go to see my folks and my Mum shows me a recipe in her magazine. Never thought to do that with a library book though. Thanks

Tried to leave work early today but didn't manage. Was much earlier than last week though. I'm nearly home!

Going to get lunch when I get in and got pasta planned for tea which I'm looking forward to. It's just me for tea tonight so I can have it whenever I want. Quiet afternoon on the cards.

I'll be back later with the day's financials.
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 15th Jan 20, 7:28 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Financials today:

- started working my way up to my next £5 on one of the survey sites. I'm at 85p, with 40p and £1.25 pending.
    - no movement on the bank accounts.
    - no change to the council tax account yet but I'll be checking this every day.
    • astrocytic kitten
    • By astrocytic kitten 16th Jan 20, 1:22 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    astrocytic kitten
    You’ve been having a scary time of it, hope you get the rest you need to recover from the lung infection.

I can understand you wanting to keep health things private, I’ve always done that (well at least until it all imploded and now everyone knows). It does mean you suffer in silence though, don’t be afraid to ask for support.
    Total debt: 14,068 (Jan 2020) / 14,377 (Dec 2019) / 23,167 (Dec 2018)
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 16th Jan 20, 7:24 PM
    • 10,236 Posts
    • 21,372 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Still hope you feel a little better. You seem to be making your money stretch.

Talking about photographing recipe books - it was SW that suggested we do that
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 17th Jan 20, 4:11 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Youíve been having a scary time of it, hope you get the rest you need to recover from the lung infection.

I can understand you wanting to keep health things private, Iíve always done that (well at least until it all imploded and now everyone knows). It does mean you suffer in silence though, donít be afraid to ask for support.
    Originally posted by astrocytic kitten
    I'm doing ok. I'm resting when I get chances (more that it sounds). Appointment is now through for my next CT scan so that's good news.
    It's nice when people understand as so many don't (hence I don't tell). This is exactly what I'm concerned about, an implosion...is that a word?...*checks Google*...yes, it is. I'm extremely lucky I have a very understanding and supportive family and boyfriend.

Still hope you feel a little better. You seem to be making your money stretch.

Talking about photographing recipe books - it was SW that suggested we do that
    Thank you, I do feel a lot better this week, probably to do with antibiotics killing off any and all infections I always panic that I don't have enough money for food to last to the end of the month so I buy less and eat less then get ill when actually, there is enough if I plan properly!
    I have hundreds of photos of recipes on my phone. I really should sort through them and get cooking. That would solve a multitude of problems!

Started work at 9.30am today. It felt like I was going in at lunchtime Finished at 12.30pm so did well today time-wise. It seemed like I went in, shuffled some papers and went home again though. Need to take another flexi day this month and have a few more early finishes so should be easy for the next couple of weeks.

There was £26 on the Asda card, not £29. I did know that, just forgot. Now there is £21.

Financially:
    - the council have recalculated the council tax but not amended my account. I owed £76 (less than I calculated! Hooray!!) for the rest of this year which I have now paid.
    - the council tax payment means I have just over £71 in the holding account (another hooray!!) so more than achieved my £50 target for January. I'm a bit scared to use any in case the council change their minds so I'll call them next week about amending the balance.
    - I have £70 in the grocery fund (including the Asda card) to last for two weeks. I don't know why I worry about this as that is plenty. Need to go to the supermarket in a bit but its not a full week's shop. I need to do a meal plan for that first but can't do it today.

I have failed miserably with the meal planning resolution but I'm going to get back on the wagon this weekend.

£49 in cash grocery budget
    £21 (odds) on Asda card
    £9 in slush fund (but I owe the cc account £21)
    £71 (odds) in holding account

Two weeks until payday (31st).
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 20, 7:03 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,792 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the CT.
    The council wont change their minds so dont worry
    Enjoy your weekend xx

***Keep plodding***
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 17th Jan 20, 8:18 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Good news on the CT.
    The council wont change their minds so dont worry
    Enjoy your weekend xx
    Thank you. It's just because they've added the new demand but not cancelled the other two so it's still shows that I owe £400. I know I don't but it makes me feel nervous.
    Enjoy your weekend too xx

Nervous or not, I have now sent £30 to the loan account. I have adjusted my signature but I know it probably won't hit the loan account until Tuesday so for interest reasons I've updated the spreadsheet at Tuesday.

Went to the supermarket earlier and spent £23. I've got food for batch cooking.

£12 left in cash grocery budget. £33 left in the total grocery budget.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

7,061Users online

Martin's Twitter