Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 27th Dec 19, 9:56 AM
    • 17,136Posts
    • 283,890Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new good, bad and ugly of growing your own in 2020
    • 27th Dec 19, 9:56 AM
    The all new good, bad and ugly of growing your own in 2020 27th Dec 19 at 9:56 AM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas ✅ and 2020 ✅
Page 6
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 13th Jan 20, 4:38 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Phoned the garden centre yesterday - they have their seed potatoes in
    Originally posted by zafiro1984

So do Wilko! I was there today but as I was on my bicycle and then off on holiday shortly think I'll wait.

I don't think all their stock is in: either that or they've already sold out of asparagus and rhubarb crowns and dormant strawberries..
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Jan 20, 8:28 AM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 31,028 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Evening all! I have been lurking since the beginning of this thread but thought it would be more polite to join in!
    Going to get out in the greenhouse tomorrow and get some onions, leeks, chilli's and peppers started. Should I keep them in the house or can I keep them in the greenhouse? I'm in the North West so don't want the cold to get them!
    Originally posted by lynneee
    Welcome lynneee!
    - Your onions and leeks should be fine to get started in the greenhouse as you are only stopping frost getting at them.
    - Chillies and Peppers are both tender so I would always start them indoors. They like it warm and light as crv and unrecordings have both said - I put a tray on top of my electric bug-zapper which means a bit of heat from underneath and that worked well last year (after years of miserable results, probably because I overwater or use old seeds). I do normally wait for Feb before starting them but weather is all over the place. Once they are ready to pot on, I usually keep them in my greenhouse (and don't put them outside unless I get red spider mite in the greenhouse)
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 9.396.36/7,000 134.23% total
    Save 12k in 2020 - #20
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target 0/3k 0% so far
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37
    MFIT T5 No 2 42,188/59,998 or 70.32% paid after Q3
    My DFD is here
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Jan 20, 9:02 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,044 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I don't think all their stock is in: either that or they've already sold out of asparagus and rhubarb crowns and dormant strawberries..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    We don't have a Wilko near here, but thanks for the reminder re rhubarb as I could do with some new crowns as rabbits ate mine last year.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Jan 20, 12:42 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,044 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Went to garden center yesterday. I had a severe chat with myself before buying anything as this year I only intend to buy what I will use and to stay within budget.

Bought pk of Rocket potatoes, they were cheaper than in the catalogues. They'll go in the polyt as earlies.
    seeds - 2 x leek seeds, one maturing early - one late
    2 x tomatoes - one cherry, one normal, both blight resistant
    1 x mild chilli, trial price of 99p
    "The growing season has started"
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 15th Jan 20, 1:17 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 2,433 Thanks
    crv1963
    Down to the greenhouse, looked in the propagator and now have shallots through too!

Night time temp in the greenhouse 3.4 degrees C so I think I'll give them all until after the weekend and then move them to an unheated propagator to grow on. Then on Monday I'll sow my Chilli seeds.

My Chilligrow planters, self watering pots and holiday proof planters have arrived this morning so hopefully when they are planted out they will not end up dying from a lack of water while I'm away working each week.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Jan 20, 2:05 PM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 49,389 Thanks
    euronorris
    Hello all!

It's been a while, and I see the 2020 thread is in full swing, so thought I would join in again as plan to grow again this year.

What do you like to grow?

Tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, beetroot, carrots, peppers (if I could get it right), herbs, runner beans, garlic, lettuce, spring onion, courgette

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Yes, I would really like to grow some potatoes this year, and hopefully the raspberry will do better too (fingers crossed). Would also like to try different varieties of the tomatoes.

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?
    Had a lot of success with Indigo Rose (black tomato), but not totally enamoured with the flavour. I will grow it again, but will limit the number of plants this year to one/two, so that I could concentrate on some other varieties.

Whilst I have grown most things before, last year was the first year that we had any real success in our current home and garden. So it was a bit of a learning curve for us as to what worked and what didn't, and how much we can fit in.

Do you have any tips for growing?

Grow what you will eat. No point growing something you know you won't enjoy.

You need quite a few pea plants to get a decent size crop. So if peas are important to you, make sure you have the space to plant enough. I had two plants on the go last year, and only really had enough for 1-2 meals (2 adults and 1 child here).

If you like strawberries, and want to eat them fresh this year, don't grow from seed expecting that. You will get 3 or 4 strawberries max in the first year, and really, you should pinch them off so the plant can save its energy for next year. If you want some this year, get some plants from a garden centre that are in year 2 already. And if you want strawberries all summer, get an everbearing variety, not a june bearing one.

Successional planting! - I am yet to get the hang of this.

Pay attention to which plants shouldn't be grown close together. I didn't, and as a result my Brussel sprouts never really developed. In the same trug as the tomatoes which stole all of the energy!

Do you make anything with what you grow?

Soups, crushed tomatoes for other recipes, and tomato puree. Everything else was just used in meals. I tried pickled beetroot, but didn't get the pickle recipe right and ruined them! lol

If I have excess fruit this year, I plan to make some lovely jams

How much does growing your own save you?

Not sure it did last year. We had quite a bit of initial outlay with the trug, and compost, pots, feed etc etc. This year should be better. Especially with lessons learned.

Moving forward, garlic not harvested yet as only planted in autumn. I think spring is harvest time. Or is it early summer. Either way, fingers crossed!!

Really keen to do potatoes this year, and have better results with just about everything. Really need to get out into the garden, but it seems to have poured down most weekends for months now.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Jan 20, 2:54 PM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 49,389 Thanks
    euronorris
    Oh, I forgot to add that I joined the heritage seed library last year, and received the 2020 seed list shortly before Christmas. Still need to make my choices though! lol
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 15th Jan 20, 4:28 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Oh, I forgot to add that I joined the heritage seed library last year, and received the 2020 seed list shortly before Christmas. Still need to make my choices though! lol
    Originally posted by euronorris
    I'd best not google that
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 49,389 Thanks
    euronorris
    I'd best not google that
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Whoops! https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/hsl

All in the interest of preserving bio diversity of course!
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Jan 20, 7:56 AM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 31,028 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    euronorris - my Dad taught me that potatoes are a great way of "cleaning" the soil. - My experience is that when you harvest them it leaves the soil lovely and crumbly and easy to work so they improve the structure of the soil. The big but (especially in wet weather) is blight and they are the same family as tomatoes so do not spread your spent (used) tomato compost from your trug on ground where you intend growing either tomatoes or potatoes. They are a great crop to plant after beans as the legumes "fix" nitrogen in the soil and will benefit the potato tubers.
    Save 12k in 2020 - #20
    My DFD is here
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 16th Jan 20, 5:39 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 3,414 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    My first pepper seeds are alive!! Can just about see a bit of green poking up, I can't remember what it is now, it's definitely some.kind of sweet pepper, no sign of the cayenne yet but still time.
    My dahlias came aswell, bit early to start them yet but hopefully will be ok waiting a month or so, I'm trying to make the garden prettier while still growing and being productive. My spring bulbs are all starting to come up so that will bring a bit of colour at least.
    Also I keep changing my mind on what to grow this year, tomatoes...no tomatoes...courgettes, squash, cucumber, the list goes on and I cannot decide!
    (Still haven't moved the other blueberry yet, will get round to it eventually I'm sure)
    Basically I'm being very indecisive and lazy so far for 2020
    May Grocery Challenge -216/400
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 16th Jan 20, 8:27 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Finished the last of the dried bay leaves a friend in Greece sent me three years ago. So planning maybe another bay bush/tree. We've got two but they're very small, nearly a decade old, and thinking about it not in the most ideal positions for bay, but I've the perfect spot for the new one
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Jan 20, 8:55 AM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 31,028 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Gosh, we have recently moved a large Bay that started off as a cone in a pot fifteen years ago (maybe 30x15cm) and had grown to a 1.5m high by 75cm shrub - moved it having chopped it down to maybe 40-45cm square (kill or cure) to sit in our front hedge (was Rosemary but beetle and a van driving over the roots decimated a long stretch). There are maybe a dozen cuttings in a sink still looking green - we are going to try it as a low hedge here (in EA), interspersed with some Rosemary and Lavender.
    Save 12k in 2020 - #20
    My DFD is here
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 17th Jan 20, 10:36 AM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 49,389 Thanks
    euronorris
    euronorris - my Dad taught me that potatoes are a great way of "cleaning" the soil. - My experience is that when you harvest them it leaves the soil lovely and crumbly and easy to work so they improve the structure of the soil. The big but (especially in wet weather) is blight and they are the same family as tomatoes so do not spread your spent (used) tomato compost from your trug on ground where you intend growing either tomatoes or potatoes. They are a great crop to plant after beans as the legumes "fix" nitrogen in the soil and will benefit the potato tubers.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass

Thank you! I knew about not planting the potatoes in the same soil, but (for some unknown reason) hadn't considered that for tomatoes themselves and was planning on putting tomatoes in the trug again. I shall have to rethink.

Any tips on how best to 'refresh' the soil ahead of the growing season. Or can I take some out and into pots and use it to grow other stuff. Google says the following:

Beetroot
    Carrot
    Coriander
    Dill
    Onion
    Parsnips
    Peas
    Spring Onion

Would you all agree? If so, I could move some to the planter at the end of the garden where we grew peas and beans, and move that soil into a separate tub to try growing some potatoes this year.

I'd love to grow them in the ground, but as ever, we are in a rented property, and are limited with the amount of ground soil we can access. Not allowed to move existing shrubs/plants. I managed to fit some garlic in, and the rhubarb, and a raspberry cane, but that's about it. Everything else needs to be in pots/trug.

I would like to try growing onion from seed this year actually, so I'll have to get started sooner rather than later on that one.
    • Old Meanie
    • By Old Meanie 18th Jan 20, 9:36 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Old Meanie
    Fantastic enthusiasm and advice from everyone thank you. I got some tomatoes, salads and cabbage last year but hope to do better this year.

I have rheumatoid arthritis (the auto immune disease not wear and tear although I also have that!) and have to tread a fine line between using and exercising damaged joints and doing too much and ending up in bed fuming because it hurts to much to get in the garden.

Unfortunately we do not have our car anymore so it makes life more difficult however I have ordered seed tapes to make sowing easier, am getting cloches delivered to get things going earlier as we have wet cold clay, an trying to make a plan of easily grown veg so I can work in the garden a little every day. This will include: tomatoes in pots, salads, spinach, kale and cabbage. Courgettes were a disaster last year they all rotted off and we didn't have a single courgette!

Can anyone help with what is best soil for raised beds please? Also how to grow courgettes in pots for success? I find this all a bit overwhelming but I am determined to try as I think there is no aspect of my life which will not be improved by trying to "grow our own". Also advice re carrots please how to avoid black bits and those wretched caterpillars that eat cabbages I struggle to see what purpose they serve in nature I suppose there must be one apart from tormenting me.
    • Old Meanie
    • By Old Meanie 18th Jan 20, 9:41 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Old Meanie
    Also a quick question can raspberries be grown in raised beds and what soil should be used? Unfortunately as we have no car now will have to order online and drag bags into garden. Thanks
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Jan 20, 2:26 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Thank you! I knew about not planting the potatoes in the same soil, but (for some unknown reason) hadn't considered that for tomatoes themselves and was planning on putting tomatoes in the trug again. I shall have to rethink.

I could move some to the planter at the end of the garden where we grew peas and beans, and move that soil into a separate tub to try growing some potatoes this year.

I'd love to grow them in the ground, but as ever, we are in a rented property, and are limited with the amount of ground soil we can access. Not allowed to move existing shrubs/plants. I managed to fit some garlic in, and the rhubarb, and a raspberry cane, but that's about it. Everything else needs to be in pots/trug.
    Originally posted by euronorris
    I always re-use my compost & growbags, but follow that rotation system if I can and 'clean' the growbag compo by using it in beds that are likely to remain fallow for a year but there's no real plan or method...
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Jan 20, 2:42 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I have rheumatoid arthritis (the auto immune disease not wear and tear although I also have that!) and have to tread a fine line between using and exercising damaged joints and doing too much and ending up in bed fuming because it hurts to much to get in the garden.

Can anyone help with what is best soil for raised beds please? Also how to grow courgettes in pots for success? I find this all a bit overwhelming but I am determined to try as I think there is no aspect of my life which will not be improved by trying to "grow our own". Also advice re carrots please how to avoid black bits and those wretched caterpillars that eat cabbages I struggle to see what purpose they serve in nature I suppose there must be one apart from tormenting me.
    Originally posted by Old Meanie
    I know what you mean about treading that fine line, I can't be so gung ho anymore and managed to do both knees in last year, I'm only just getting confident ascending the stairs again. Fortunately I've a comfy chair looking out across the garden, so if I'm grounded I can watch the birds & squirrels.

For raised beds, I guess top soil, but do your research, some cheaper brands will come with perennial weeds or grasses. Consider too how your raised beds might work. I'm looking more into smaller beds, large pots/tubs and the 'potager' principle as my mobility gets worse
    • Old Meanie
    • By Old Meanie 18th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Old Meanie
    What is a potager please?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Jan 20, 9:01 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    unrecordings
    What is a potager please?
    Originally posted by Old Meanie
    Apparently an old French term meaning a kitchen garden, and I think the origin of the word potage (a thick soup or stew). I've seen it used to describe something like a small raised bed filled with different varieties of veg, both leaf & root (and herbs) - come to think of it, that might have been Monty Don last year. The term seems to have mutated a little though - if you google it you find this interesting site which adds a level of design on top of the simple 'something for the pot' meaning

https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to-design-a-potager-garden/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter