Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 21st Dec 19, 11:26 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    CP Plus now at Debt Recovery
    • 21st Dec 19, 11:26 AM
    CP Plus now at Debt Recovery 21st Dec 19 at 11:26 AM
    Hello,

Iím aware Iím probably going to get some stick for posting this but I have read through countless threads and I am aware there are a couple of options for my issue but Iím not sure which to do for the best, Iíd really appreciate if someone can help.

I have received a ďnotice of debt recoveryĒ letter from DCBL, same as several others on here with the infamous ďcanít pay weíll take it awayĒ logo. Itís in relation to an unpaid debt to CP Plus Ltd from 23/02/2015 for a vehicle I no longer own. Theyíve also added a nice little fee on there too!
    As this was so long ago I canít even remember what the alleged contravention was and I donít have any paperwork to refer back to.
    So my question is, do I...
    Ignore the letter and wait until I receive a court claim pack (I am moving house in the new year and my surname has changed since 2015 so my concern is I may not receive these)
    Or do I
    Submit an SAR to the PPC along with a letter stating that I will be submitting a copy of the letter from DCBL to trading standards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 21st Dec 19, 11:37 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 5,676 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 21st Dec 19, 11:37 AM
    • 21st Dec 19, 11:37 AM
    I’m aware I’m probably going to get some stick for posting this
    Originally posted by lindsayb0706
    Possibly.
    I have received a “notice of debt recovery” letter from DCBL, same as several others on here with the infamous “can’t pay we’ll take it away” logo. It’s in relation to an unpaid debt to CP Plus Ltd from 23/02/2015 for a vehicle I no longer own.
    So, you've read the other threads (not sure how you think not owning the car now is relevant in any way). Therefore you'll know exactly what to do.
    do I
    Submit an SAR to the PPC along with a letter stating that I will be submitting a copy of the letter from DCBL to trading standards?
    You can submit a SAR if you like. Or just wait and see what actually happens. The additional letter will make no difference whatsoever, so surely the best way forward is that for all these other DBCL threads: disregard, but file the letter; wait and see.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 21st Dec 19, 11:40 AM
    • 13,326 Posts
    • 19,163 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 21st Dec 19, 11:40 AM
    • 21st Dec 19, 11:40 AM
    Go to the ABUSE OF PROCESS thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6014081

In POST #1
    UPDATE REGARDING DCBL (Direct Collection Bailiffs)
    If you have received a letter from these people, please carefully
    read this thread
    and click on the link

DCBL are attempting ABUSE OF PROCESS
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 21st Dec 19, 12:04 PM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 17,338 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 21st Dec 19, 12:04 PM
    • 21st Dec 19, 12:04 PM
    DCBL are regulated by the FCA consider a cmplaint

https://www.fca.org.uk/

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 21st Dec 19, 12:11 PM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    • 21st Dec 19, 12:11 PM
    • 21st Dec 19, 12:11 PM
    Disregard

Do the SAR if you feel you need to

Complain to the FCA , CSA and DVLA etc as well , plus your newly elected MP too
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 24th Dec 19, 7:07 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    • 24th Dec 19, 7:07 AM
    • 24th Dec 19, 7:07 AM
    Thank you for all of your replies, much appreciated.
    I am moving house in the 1st week of the new year, I also have a different surname to what is written on the letter, my concern is that any letters relating to court will go to my old address. We will be redirecting our mail but only planned on doing this for 3 months, I’m guessing they could come back at any time before the end of the 6 years?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 24th Dec 19, 8:49 AM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    • 24th Dec 19, 8:49 AM
    • 24th Dec 19, 8:49 AM
    So after moving email the DPO at c p plus and at drpl with the new address details and insist that they both erase the old address , attach proof of the new address with 2 redacted utility bills as proof of I D , citing the GDPR

Keep copies by adding your own email address to the delivery contacts before sending , just in case
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Dec 19, 1:04 PM
    • 80,674 Posts
    • 95,207 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 24th Dec 19, 1:04 PM
    • 24th Dec 19, 1:04 PM
    Why not just send the NEWBIES thread appeal late, to CP Plus. They usually cancel.

And if it was at MOTO then you will know from all the other threads like it, that MOTO cancel when people complain to them about needing time to rest/sleep at services.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 14th Jan 20, 2:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:14 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:14 PM
    I submitted the SAR to CP Plus. They initially tried to fob me off by saying DCBL are dealing with the debt so I’d need to contact them. I persisted and have now been sent a form which asks me to state whether I was driving the car at the time of the incident. How very sneaky! Can’t even remember exactly what the alleged contravention is let alone who was driving. I don’t see how this is relevant to the SAR?!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 14th Jan 20, 2:40 PM
    • 6,253 Posts
    • 8,277 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    It isnt

Remind them their 30 days started on X date, when you submitted the SAR (if by post 2 working days later is the start date) and they have untill Y date to respond.
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 15th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    Iíve now received a letter from DCBL titled ďPre Enforcement LetterĒ
    It states as I have failed to pay DCBL or make contact they will recommend to their client the commencement of legal recovery action. After further applications have been granted by the court the possible impact could be:
    - enforcement action to commence, such as applying for a warrant/writ of control to remove goods
    - obtaining an attachment of earnings
    - placing a charging order on your property
    - prevent future lending

It then tells me to make immediate payment to prevent further legal recovery action.

Iíve submitted a SAR to CP Plus and sent a copy of the original letter and a complaint to the FCA and my local MP. Iíve made no contact at all with DCBL. Any suggestions on anything else I should do now Iíve received this letter?

Thank you
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Jan 20, 4:05 PM
    • 19,591 Posts
    • 24,983 Thanks
    KeithP
    Any suggestions on anything else I should do now Iíve received this letter?
    It's a debt collectors letter.

Post #4 of the NEWBIES thread offers comprehensive guidance on how to deal with debt collectors letters.

To summarise that post - ignore debt collectors letters.

That's now three times this afternoon that I have written that.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Jan 20, 4:05 PM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    Do nothing , it's that simple
    Newbies !!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 20, 4:16 AM
    • 80,674 Posts
    • 95,207 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6091733

Please can we stop having discussions about a letter that is already answered other threads...read more of them, please to save us repeating it.

The point is we have maybe 20 people all saying the same thing and we've answered it in half the cases already. This forum is far too busy to do this, posters need to search before posting (please) on this board.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 16th Jan 20, 8:00 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    I appreciate you must get frustrated answering similar questions however in my original post you can see that I had spent some time reading posts similar to mine and I was confused as to what to do as there were a lot of different answers as to what route to take. For example I read yesterday that someone was advised to ask DCBL to put a 30 day hold on their debt, I’d never seen that advised prior or in response to my query. There are a lot of people on here and a lot of different responses and when it comes to threatening letters people just want to get it right. I do understand your frustration but it’s human nature to want a direct response to know we’re doing it right.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 20, 1:48 PM
    • 80,674 Posts
    • 95,207 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    LETTER BEFORE CLAIM stage is fully covered in the NEWBIES thread already though, second post. And specifically, DCBL ones have been covered on threads suggesting people point out to CP Plus that they can't hold keepers liable because we all know they don't use the POFA.

Also I did tell you about contacting CP Plus with a late appeal as per the above, on Xmas Eve, so had already given you bespoke advice that would probably have prevented this and can still stop the silly thing. CP Plus are well aware that they can't hold a keeper liable and as long as the driver is not named, they are stuck.

CP Plus cancel as easily as blowing a feather over.
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 16th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    I’m not at the letter before claim stage yet. It’s a pre enforcement letter I received. I have raised a complaint with MOTTO as you recommended and the complaint to MP, trading standards etc.
    I appreciate the support you give to people here and as I said, understand your frustration but I think when you feel overwhelmed by the language used in the letters and not understanding how these cowboys work, a little bit of direct advice always helps. Thanks again
    • lindsayb0706
    • By lindsayb0706 21st Jan 20, 10:35 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lindsayb0706
    UPDATE...

Motto have responded to my complaint and have requested that the charge is overturned.

I’ve also heard back from my local MP and trading standards who are looking into the DCBL letters.

Thank you very much to those who gave advice, you’re so kind to use your time helping people and it’s very much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter