Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 19th Dec 19, 4:25 PM
    • 220Posts
    • 1,557Thanks
    Blackcats
    Giving every a job
    • 19th Dec 19, 4:25 PM
    Giving every a job 19th Dec 19 at 4:25 PM
    I've decided to be brave and continue my journey from lurking on these boards, through posting on these boards and I now feel ready to start my own diary.
    I don't actually have any debt anymore but I am very bad at saving so I've decided to set myself savings goals and treat them as debts to my future self. I was eventually quite good at paying debt after years of practice.
    My first savings target is 1000. I have 200 in the kitty already and have drawn myself a grid to colour in each 1% I save. Very motivating for me.
    My main goal is retiring early - more about that in future posts.
Page 4
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 9th Jan 20, 8:17 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    A good day today. Paperwork has come through for gas/electric switch. Need to do a meter reading on 17th. It will take a while to sort final bills on old account and really benefit from lower prices but worth it in the end.
    I've already started to be more careful with switching off lights etc. So bloomin obvious but I've been too blas! to bother. I like to have a light on in the porch but actually I've had 3 lights switched on there when clearly 1 does the job. I've moved a nice table lamp into the hall instead of having all the ceiling lights on. There's hope for me yet
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 10th Jan 20, 12:51 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Sounds like you've got a plan of action! My boyfriend laughs at me because I'm always turning lights off, whereas he'd just leave everything on.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 10th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I have made the switch to LED lightbulbs (wherever possible) as they are waaaay more efficient than either a standard bulb or one of those energy saving bulbs. Saves a few more pennies lol
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 10th Jan 20, 4:44 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Yes, I've been learning about LED bulbs. Most of mine are LED but I have a couple of fittings which take 3 bulbs each which have ye olde worlde lightbulbs in so I must make sure to use them sensibly.
    Confession of a tea bag hoarder ......
    I woke up a bit snuffly and fancied a lemon and ginger tea. I made an assumption that I didn't have any of these tea bags and would just pop out and buy a packet. Then I remembered my declaration a week ago that I didn't need to buy any non standard tea bags this month.
    After exploring my tea bag cupboard (yes they have their own cupboard) I discovered 3 x lemon, ginger and honey, 4 x ginger and lemongrass, 10 x green tea with lemon that I can add some fresh ginger to, plus I can of course I can use fresh lemon, honey and ginger to make a lovely drink.
    Shopping from home (as patented by Foxgloves).
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 11th Jan 20, 5:22 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Nice, easy day today. Bought the gifts for January and February birthdays today. I think I chose well and stayed in budget.
    Pizza for tea and a glass of wine. What could be nicer
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 11th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Well done. We had pizza too I've got to do my friend in February but did my parents'. Did you pick up anything nice up?
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 11th Jan 20, 7:22 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Hi Fran, I got a pretty necklace and earrings for my grown up daughter and a really nice brooch for an elderly friend and a dinosaur themed gift for a 6 year old boy. I've got cards already in my stock at home plus I've got the cards for the other birthdays that don't have presents.
    Mine was a shop bought pizza - quick and easy but not overwhelmingly scrummy but the glass of wine helped.
    I've started next weeks meal plan. I'm away with work one night and won't get home til late the next day. I love soup and toast after a long journey and I can source both of those from my freezer so it will be a cheap shop. I started to type it MIGHT be a cheap shop but of course it's up to me to make it a cheap shop.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 11th Jan 20, 11:24 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Ooh those gifts sound perfect!

We only really did homemade because it's a bit of bonding fun with the boy, sadly his friend called round and that was more appealing than being with mum.

Beware of the cheap shop: I always think "ooh, I can get this extra and that extra, because it's just a cheap shop" and obviously it then ends up a pricey one! Hope you're better than I am. Sounds interesting that you're going away with work.
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 14th Jan 20, 11:28 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    This week I've started a focus on health, wellbeing and sparkle. A few simple things to do - take vitamins each day, drink more water and at least 1 cup of green tea a day. No alcohol on work nights (however much I try to convince myself that I deserve a glass of wine). Eat plenty of fruit and veg and exercise some self control over chocolate. For the sparkle, I'm going to sort through jewellery and wear some every day, use perfume (which always gives an instant mood boost) and remember to use hand cream.

In other "news" it's time for some money moving into savings and therefore some colouring in of squares in the savings grid.

But back to work now!
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 14th Jan 20, 12:28 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Those all sound great!

My boyfriend bought me lots of jewellery for my birthday and I've not worn any at all for ages - just being lazy. I might have to join you in the sparkling

How many squares are coloured in now?
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 14th Jan 20, 5:54 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    :Hi Fran, I realise that I've got lots of "stuff" accumulated from years of overspending so it's good to enjoy it. As another poster, Foxgloves, says shopping from home can be fun and frugal.
    So let's sparkle together! It will brighten up January days.
    Pouring with rain and windy here - very happy to be home and cosy for the evening.
    I have some home admin to do - filing and shredding and paying a bill.

In savings news, I will be putting 100 into my "1 month fund" this is aiming to accumulate the equivalent of 1 months expenditure for the month immediately after I take my early retirement in case pension money is held up in an admin tangle. I pay 100 a month in and it's now at 400. It feels very strange to talk about receiving a pension (I don't feel old enough ha ha) but then early retirement is the motivation for this diary.

I'm then adding 100 across various pots including Xmas 2020.

Then finally 220 to the 1000 target savings grid bringing that total to 450. This is 450 pounds that didn't have a job before and must have wandered off somewhere on their own over the months.

I will be able to add at least 150 to that before the end of the month and another 200 when my expenses are paid, taking the total to 800 which has been achieved without feeling that I'm missing out on anything. The grid should be fully coloured in by February. How exciting
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 14th Jan 20, 6:19 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    That is so exciting!!! I'm the same with the wandering money that now gets put to work.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 35,485 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Oooh, Blackcats, those retirement plans must be starting to feel so real now that you are working on all these 'pots'. I shan't get my pension for years yet, but am determined to enjoy it when I finally do!
    I don't think I did patent 'shopping from home', actually. I think I have just got a bit obsessed with it! It's just such a surprise to me as an ex-spender, just how much money can be saved by using what I already have. I've currently got lots of tea lights lit on the mantlepiece plus two pretty metal cutwork lanterns which have little batteries in them & a glitter peacock I received as a gift. It all looks so nice, yet despite my lengthy past relationship with buying industrial quantities of fancy candles, I haven't bought anything new. It's often possible to create a bit of a new look from stuff we've already got, & I like to do that. My first thought is no longer 'I'll buy one'...... or several!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 227
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 15th Jan 20, 11:14 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Hi Foxgloves, yes it's very exciting. I'm taking my occupational pension early so it will be reduced but it will take 18 years of drawing the pension for the reduction to move this decision into the less advantageous zone for me, so the value of not working plus the savings on the contributions that I won't have to make mean that for me it's a good decision.
    I'm still working on how to find the balance between how much pension v how much lump sum to take, but that's a nice challenge to grapple with.
    Still trying to sparkle each day. Working from home but I've got make up on, pretty jewellery and I've had a nice squirt of perfume. Chosen my newly found pretty mug for today which is filled with "strawberries and cream" flavour fancy tea bag.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 15th Jan 20, 6:07 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Ooh retirement is a long way away for me! Good luck with your decision making! And we'll done for sparkling. I'm failing at that still. You'll have to give me a kick up the bum!
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 16th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Some more money is due into the account tomorrow so I'm working out each 's job. This is usually the money each month that seems to fritter away to nothing. I really can't think of anything I need to buy or spend money on so it is going to be easy to pop it into savings.
    I thought I needed more vitamins but actually I have a bottle that I haven't used that I bought as oart of the penny sale at the well know health food shop. Result!
    However, the cats are due their flea treatment so there's some money to spend but it's budgeted for. They loathe the treatment you put on their necks and have an uncanny knack of knowing when I'm sneaking up on them with the pipettes. I buy the tablets now and crush them into a fancy cat food treat. Then the fun starts of making sure they eat their own food and don't swop from bowl to bowl. Well that's exciting news eh?
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 16th Jan 20, 8:16 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Well done for having a plan for it.
    You've reminded me that the boyfriend has a stock of expensive vitamins I ended up buying as part of the weekly shop (before I started shopping online) I'll have to start feeding them to him, although he sounds like your cats! Haha. Good luck, I remember the fun of helping mum flea treat out cats, we had 5!
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 17th Jan 20, 8:02 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Glad it's the weekend. Some MSE admin to do tomorrow but all helps towards the overall goal. Enjoying a glass of wine after a 5 hour journey home. A good reminder of why I am saving money to retire as soon as I can.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 18th Jan 20, 10:04 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Five hours?!?! Goodness me! Hope you enjoyed that glass of wine you earned and that all your mse admin balanced out easily.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 18th Jan 20, 11:25 AM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    janb5
    Some more money is due into the account tomorrow so I'm working out each 's job. This is usually the money each month that seems to fritter away to nothing. I really can't think of anything I need to buy or spend money on so it is going to be easy to pop it into savings.
    I thought I needed more vitamins but actually I have a bottle that I haven't used that I bought as oart of the penny sale at the well know health food shop. Result!
    Originally posted by Blackcats

Hi have you considered not using vitamins at all? I dont take any as unless you are unable to eat certain food groups then you will be ok.

I think there are lots of studies around to say they arent really necessary.

Shoot me down in flames if you disagree!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

22Posts Today

3,768Users online

Martin's Twitter