Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Dec 19, 4:19 PM
    • 1,974Posts
    • 24,887Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2020 - banish the clutter
    • 13th Dec 19, 4:19 PM
    2020 - banish the clutter 13th Dec 19 at 4:19 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2019!"

I was definitely not as productive in 2019 as I had intended NO full declutter and the only decorating was done by my DSis - the hallway & the downstairs cloakroom

SO 2020 HERE I COME

The good intentions for 2020 (in between numerous holidays) are:

1. Finish DH’s office carpeting, put up a long shelf & declutter fully.
    2. Decorate & re-carpet our bedroom. Not much decluttering required.
    3. Sort & decorate the Room of Doom i.e. the spare room - a Decluttering nightmare
    4. Embarrassed �� to say that the bathroom refurbishment + the living room & dining room redecorating/refurbishments will now be 2021 UNLESS we complete all of the above.

So who will make the 2020 decluttering journey with me? ALL are welcome Whether you are doing a major declutter or a maintaining declutter. This will be a supportive & encouraging thread - our aim being to declutter our lives of physical & electronic items & maybe even the stress of having too much ‘stuff’. Also it makes cleaning easier
    I will also be awarding Gold Stars ⭐️ again

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2020 in 2020 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days or maybe by room. If you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase (2018) - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever numbering option you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 & 2019 threads will also post on the 2020 thread + lots of new people

I know I am a bit early in setting up this thread but it can help to plan your decluttering - ‘To Do Lists’ are your friends

So join me in my quest to have a neat & tidy home with no hidden horrors

MrsSD

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 02-01-2020 at 4:07 PM.
Page 30
    • stellata
    • By stellata 15th Jan 20, 1:12 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    stellata
    Im back on it a bit carefully after having put my back out and then spent another couple of days in bed with a long standing problem too.
    Decluttered a whole bunch of store cupboard goodies into a cake which I took to a friend who invited me to lunch. Then 5 unwanted Xmas gifts to the chaz and sold 6 items on eBay unexpectedly, they'd been sat there for ages. That's 15 things gone.
    Magnolia Stellata
    • notmy1sttime
    • By notmy1sttime 15th Jan 20, 7:19 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    notmy1sttime
    I had a top to bottom house clean on Saturday (but I will forgive you for not believing me if you see the house today), I managed to fill a large bin bag of rubbish and a large bag of recycling for the green bin, just general stuff like old magazines, papers and containers.
    I have also recently:
    - used up sample size shampoo's
    - used up some sorry looking veg in the fridge, preventing food waste and actually had a healthy meal
    - started a charity shop donation bag off, 5 books in it at the moment
    - finally hung a picture in my living room so one less item getting in the way and being where it should be
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 15th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Ok, so storm Brendan allowed for a little more time spent in the black hole that is our walk-in cupboard, lol, and have managed the following -

6 x pillows
    2 x mirrored candle sconces (these will go to the next fleamarket)
    Another bag of clothes (charity shop)
    4 x large boxes
    1 x king-size duvet (will get this cleaned & see if it's worth charity shopping)

In addition, we have an Arts & Crafts Movement oak dining table that we no longer need so that will be going on faceache
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Makethedayscount
    • By Makethedayscount 15th Jan 20, 11:43 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    Makethedayscount
    After days of inactivity, I've got back to it and started on the loft a morning's work has resulted in: 1 bag plastic recycling, 1 bag paper recycling, 2 bags of rubbish, 2 bags to charity shop, 1 bag for ebaying and 1 bag of carpet samples to go back to the carpet shop. Exhausted but delirious 30/365

• savvy
    • By savvy 15th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    • 30,224 Posts
    • 47,182 Thanks
    savvy
    Not much time with the weather holding me back amongst other niggles!

1 borrowed monitor returned at last
    Mothers Christmas present delivered today!
    3 more boxes emptied and removed
    4 more bits of bubblewrap and plastic packaging
    1 inflatable bottle bag gone
    69/2020
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 15th Jan 20, 7:44 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 16,454 Thanks
    Nicnak
    1 nightie top that had a hole in for me today! That is all. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated December 2019
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 7,365 Total = 25,330 7,365 71% gone EMF #252 = 1100/1000
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071

Decluttering target 437/365 items
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Jan 20, 7:53 PM
    • 13,539 Posts
    • 228,274 Thanks
    greenbee
    Finished a handwash that had been hanging around for ages almost finished - pump in the bin, bottle recycled.
    Finished a moisturiser that had been hanging around almost finished. Sadly not recyclable here, so all in the bin
    Beads from broken necklace in the bin

Box of books ready to go off to webuybooks tomorrow.

Trying to finish up an almost-empty tube of toothpaste (isn't it funny how long things last when you think they're almost done?).
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 15th Jan 20, 7:55 PM
    • 3,759 Posts
    • 19,825 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    x-raphael-xx there are lots of groups on Facebook who coordinate this. I am a member of needle & Hooks Angels & preemies. Currently I am knitting for Edinburgh royal as they looked after my grandson.
    You could ask at your local surgery the midwife should be able to help.
    Originally posted by Marpau
    Thankyou! I didn't think of a facebook group! I'll have a search. I'd be upset if I knitted a pile and they couldn't accept them because I've used the wrong wool or something.

15 Magazines in the 'to go' pile. I'll probably drop them to the drs or dentist.
    120/2020
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Jan NSD's - 12/31 / EF Challenger #3 1138.72/5000
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 15th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 16,454 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Oh, I forgot the one item of returns from Christmas. xx

327 items!
    September 6th 2017 - Updated December 2019
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 7,365 Total = 25,330 7,365 71% gone EMF #252 = 1100/1000
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071

Decluttering target 437/365 items
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 15th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Had another bash today

287 - 296 - Light bulbs returned to B&Q
    297 - Glass jar to recycling
    298 - 301 - Plastic bottles to recycling
    302 - another bag of paperwork to work for confidential recycling
    303 - broken badminton racquet returned to supplier for replacement
    304 - 311 - too small badminton tops returned to supplier
    312 - 313 cardboard boxes to recycling
    314 - yucky Christmas cheeses to food waste
    315 - 317 - cans to recycling

Have a good week all

I am going to declutter a cuddle with our dog as it is his 3 Year Gotcha Day Anniversary
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 15th Jan 20, 9:11 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Hey guys and gals

We made the weekly email
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 15th Jan 20, 9:36 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,805 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Day 15
    Wednesday is always a struggle with an 11hr shift. Sadly I've only made a donation of a load of paper to recycling. Paper that had been annoyingly loitering at the bottom of a wardrobe I hasten to add.

What I did manage to achieve was a bit of office decluttering in work to scratch the itch!!
    MFW: Was: 136,000.......Now: 76,704.80......Reduction: 59,295.71... in 58 months!
    MFiT-T5 #8 - 37.28% of 23,000
    Save 12k in 2020 - 0 // 24,000 (0.00%) & 2020 - Banish the Clutter - 21 // 366 days (5.74%)
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 15th Jan 20, 10:12 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 24,761 Thanks
    newlywed
    Just one for me today... decluttered a navy cardigan that stretched sideways but didn’t reach my wrists (came from charity shop so back it will go in the hope that someone with shorter arms will love it!)... the replacement from eBay a while back fits now. Into the charity bag it goes.

My two largest skirts have their days numbered as I can just about take them off without undoing the zip . The charity bag is calling them!
    Last edited by newlywed; 15-01-2020 at 10:44 PM.
    working on clearing the clutter
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Jan 20, 10:34 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 24,887 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Very quick post someone kicked the plug out so no internet access
    However have had a brilliant swimming with the dolphins

As internet working NOW I will be back later

23 - broken charger cable - Binned

MrsSD
    23/2020
    • Marpau
    • By Marpau 15th Jan 20, 11:48 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Marpau
    Decluttered ironing and lots of life admin
    3 hats knitted from wool oddments

76 uu moisturizer
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Jan 20, 6:29 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 22,592 Thanks
    villagelife
    Didn't post yesterday and decluttering has slowed down but have done some daily which is good.

112-113 remains of candles
    114 another sock with holes in it. I must be getting to the end of them by now.
    115 a Bottle of gin used up and recycled. It had been lying about in the kitchen for a while with one large drink in it.
    Last edited by villagelife; 16-01-2020 at 6:00 PM.
    • stellata
    • By stellata 16th Jan 20, 7:29 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    stellata
    Just to keep the momentum going, I had a bash at the under sink cleaning cupboard. Lots of half used bottles of things so I combined them in one bottle where there were duplicates and threw out at least 6 used and useless sponges and cloths. Why was I keeping these?! Also to the chaz went a sofa throw and 5 tops I'll never get into again.
    Magnolia Stellata
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 16th Jan 20, 9:36 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Progress report on my 4bags a month target.

3 bags of books sold for 60euros I'm counting them as one bag
    I bag of magazines to a friend -English mags here are very dear and few of actually buy them new so they get passed around and around.
    1 bag of plastic bags to the same friend who gave me loads of stuff in those bags to take to the charity shop for her. Again we here in France have had to pay a lot more for these bags than in the UK ans for a longer time so we , well some of us, make sure they get plenty of use.
    4 used tyre that I am counting as a bag
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 16th Jan 20, 9:41 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Whoops
    a used tyre that has been in the garage for 2 years thinking it might come in handy( lol).We kept this from a puncture that meant a replacement tyre and here we had to replace the pair to allow even wear - safety-I think.
    So I will count that as space well gained in the garage and also pleased that it was DH that suggested it.
    Still working on a bag of rags.
    Keep up the good work, everyone. I'm sorry if I've missed thanking you all - miss a day or two on the site and the pages have shot up. Bye for now.
    • Michellelh
    • By Michellelh 16th Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Michellelh
    The quick sort of one of the kitchen cupboards didn’t end up in anything being binned/recycled/charity shop bagged however it is now much easier to see what I have. The baking bits are now on the same shelf (apart from some flour that is too tall to fit. The cans are now in rows of different types of food. I now have space in that cupboard.
    A few items from other places have made it into the charity shop bag. One small coin purse, a jumper that I used to wear at work (we now have uniform jumpers) and a tea towel that I have never used.
    Does anyone think that any charity shops would find bubble wrap useful? I have some and I can’t recycle it here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,376Posts Today

4,583Users online

Martin's Twitter