Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 12th Dec 19, 6:44 PM
    • 4,380Posts
    • 3,084Thanks
    GreatApe
    BEV emmissions
    • 12th Dec 19, 6:44 PM
    BEV emmissions 12th Dec 19 at 6:44 PM
    Was asked in another thread so here you go full info with more data and less assumptions with the BEVs charged by CCGTs

Model 3 = 95g/KM*
    E Golf = 107g/KM (a less efficient BEV which uses more electricity)
    Hybrid Corrolla or Prius = 106g/km (real world users reporting 63mpg = 106g/km)

So even an efficient BEV only saves about 10g/km over a hybrid
    And this is in a gas marginal grid. In a coal marginal grid the BEV is far worse Vs the hybrid

Calculations below willing to amend if you feel the assumptions or calculations are wrong
Page 8
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    GreatApe
    You're posting on a public forum and complaining that people are responding to your posts?
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    No I like it
    My little brother also used to follow me everywhere
    Until about the age of 5
    It's cute You're adorable

Interesting that you seem able to respond to Mart an awful lot, but cry foul if people respond to yourself. A case of being able to dish it out but not take it?
    This might sound odd but I don't really respond to anyone in particular
    When I said I don't recall any of your posts it's true
    Mostly because I don't look at who wrote the post
    I read what's posted and comment on that rather than who posted it
    Something is suggest more people should do
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 15th Jan 20, 3:35 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    No I like it
    My little brother also used to follow me everywhere
    Until about the age of 5
    It's cute You're adorable

I read what's posted and comment on that rather than who posted it
    Something is suggest more people should do
    Originally posted by GreatApe
    LOL! literally you couldn't make it up. You're actually suggesting people shouldn't do what you have literally just done!!! Literally in the same post!

Comedy Gold!!

If I were you I would listen to the sage advice of yourself....

You know what they say Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Guess which one you're doing?
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    GreatApe
    LOL! literally you couldn't make it up. You're actually suggesting people shouldn't do what you have literally just done!!! Literally in the same post!

Comedy Gold!!

If I were you I would listen to the sage advice of yourself....

You're stretch of posts have forced this upon us
    Hopefully you learn today
    And stop discussing people in the future and stick to discussing ideas

Even me highlighting this to you is discussing ideas
    I don't know you or care to know you I don't follow you
    I don't make a mental note of what you said or didn't
    And in a few hours I won't remember you or this discussion
    But hopefully you'll remember it long enough to figure out that staying on topic is talking about ideas not people

Good bad crazy whatever that's fine

Anyway good luck to you
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 15th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    JKenH
    And stop discussing people in the future and stick to discussing ideas.
    Well said, Sir.

Keep posting your left field ideas. I donít agree with them all (in fact very few of them) but they make me stop and think. There are far too many closed minds on this forum. Some people just canít handle anything that challenges their view of the world.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs )
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Jan 20, 4:37 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Interesting that you seem able to respond to Mart an awful lot, but cry foul if people respond to yourself. A case of being able to dish it out but not take it?
    Does he? Perhaps he's posting away at the dozens of us that have him on ignore ...... kinda like shouting at nobody in an empty room ...... explains a lot.

I expect the stir monger general will be along shortly to argue that nonsense opinions (and denial) are more important than facts, as his mind has a ban on facts.

Doh! I was too slow!
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 15-01-2020 at 4:39 PM. Reason: Added a Doh!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 15th Jan 20, 4:50 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    JKenH

I expect the stir monger general will be along shortly to argue that nonsense opinions (and denial) are more important than facts, as his mind has a ban on facts.

Doh! I was too slow!
    Originally posted by Martyn1981

At least you have a sense of humour, Mart. I hope you are enjoying your Leaf.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs )
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Jan 20, 4:54 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    Martyn1981

At least you have a sense of humour, Mart. I hope you are enjoying your Leaf.
    Originally posted by JKenH
    One has too on here, at least since late Spring last year when the trolls, FUDsters, denialists etc descended to rant away at all the good news and positive change.

Weird though how I seem to care more about their children and grandchildrens health and futures than they do ..... funny ain't it.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 15th Jan 20, 5:04 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    JKenH
    One has too on here, at least since late Spring last year when the trolls, FUDsters, denialists etc descended to rant away at all the good news and positive change.

Weird though how I seem to care more about their children and grandchildrens health and futures than they do ..... funny ain't it.
    Does it really matter what we believe as long as we are doing the right thing? One can live a Christian life without preaching the Bible or be a good Muslim without running around waving the Koran. Iím just not a fundamentalist.
    Last edited by JKenH; 15-01-2020 at 5:07 PM.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Does it really matter what we believe as long as we are doing the right thing? One can live a Christian life without preaching the Bible or be a good Muslim without running around waving the Koran. Iím just not a fundamentalist.
    Being an enabler of a fundamentalist is even worse.

And probably not a wise move to introduce religion. As I've said before, you may place opinions, and faith based beliefs above science and facts, but, reality doesn't.

• pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 15th Jan 20, 5:27 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Does it really matter what we believe as long as we are doing the right thing?
    It depends on what you believe is the right thing. Some people probably think putting a couple of solar panels on their roof means they're 'doing the right thing [for the environment]' even though they drive a hummer and have 5 long haul holidays a year.
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 15th Jan 20, 5:33 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    I don't know you or care to know you I don't follow you
    I don't make a mental note of what you said or didn't
    And in a few hours I won't remember you or this discussion
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much. For someone with so little regard for me, you seem to be picking up on my posts an awful lot and having hurtful digs at me. The one above was particularly nasty and made me actually cry.

Interesting how you keep banging on about discussing ideas rather than people, yet you keep discussing me in a vain attempt to ignore the holes I poked in your 'replace the London underground trains with lots of self driving cars' idea.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 6:53 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    GreatApe
    and faith based beliefs above science and facts
    You hold no scientific qualifications whatsoever
    But I have the internet to back me up!!
    That big open forum anyone can find anything to confirm their biases?
    Yes! do you know of it?
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 6:59 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    GreatApe
    you seem to be picking up on my posts an awful lot and having hurtful digs at me. The one above was particularly nasty and made me actually cry.
    We hurt the ones we love

interesting how you keep banging on about discussing ideas rather than people, yet you keep discussing me in a vain attempt to ignore the holes I poked in your 'replace the London underground trains with lots of self driving cars' idea.
    Can't you tell I'm obsessed with you?
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 7:08 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    GreatApe
    It depends on what you believe is the right thing. Some people probably think putting a couple of solar panels on their roof means they're 'doing the right thing [for the environment]' even though they drive a hummer and have 5 long haul holidays a year.
    There is no universal right or wrong

Just agreements written or otherwise between groups
    Free discussion is as close as we have to a system of implementing our values Without having to kill each other

Democracy is the one system we have invented which allows groups to disagree and not kill each other to implement their particular world views

You don't like some of my views that's fine
    But I can hold them However crazy they are
    You too can hold your views However crazy they are
    We then talk And try to convince each other or the masses
    Whoever does this best gets to implement their will for a time
    And the other side gets to disagree and then we go to the masses again and explain our world views
    And whoever does this best gets some time to implement their world view
    And so it goes on and on
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 7:18 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Being an enabler of a fundamentalist is even worse.
    What's wrong with being a fundamentalist?
    It's a perfectly valid position to believe in any written text you like
    At least a few billion people are fundamentalist

You may hold your nose up at them
    How uneducated how ignorant how fundamentalist
    But you won't get anywhere acting like that
    Dismissing them and their views with your arrogance
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 16th Jan 20, 9:41 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    You hold no scientific qualifications whatsoever
    But I have the internet to back me up!!
    That big open forum anyone can find anything to confirm their biases?
    Yes! do you know of it?
    I thought your credo was:

I read what's posted and comment on that rather than who posted it .Something I suggest more people should do
    You know what they say Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Or does this only hold when people attack you, not when you attack other people? Hypocrisy or a case of being able to dish it out but not take it?
    • ABrass
    • By ABrass 16th Jan 20, 10:06 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    ABrass
    'replace the London underground trains with lots of self driving cars' idea.
    Ignoring the elephant in the room...

The idea of replacing full scale rail (overground trains) with light rail (monorail!) comes up every now and again. It doesn't work well at the same scale, obviously, but is cheaper.

The boring company approach is more akin to a monorail than it is to the tube or to cross rail. It might, if it works really well in Vegas, allow some towns or cities to have their own mini-tube if it brings the price down for a subscale tube network. It really won't replace the tube, that's just crazy talk.

Nor would retrofitting the tube network with the boring company skates make sense. It's not designed to enable that sort of movement or passenger flow.

The Vegas project will be most illuminating.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Jan 20, 11:04 AM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Keep posting your left field ideas. I donít agree with them all (in fact very few of them) but they make me stop and think. There are far too many closed minds on this forum. Some people just canít handle anything that challenges their view of the world.

They certainly make me stop and think, but I can't say what they make me think as that would be rude.

But you need to distinguish between challenging views and the random assembly of dunious ideas and figures that I occasionally see quoted. The poster is no Copernicus or Galileo: the reverse in fact; our own thread flat-earther.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 16th Jan 20, 11:43 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    JKenH
    They certainly make me stop and think, but I can't say what they make me think as that would be rude.

But you need to distinguish between challenging views and the random assembly of dunious ideas and figures that I occasionally see quoted. The poster is no Copernicus or Galileo: the reverse in fact; our own thread flat-earther.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Itís like panning for gold. Donít give up on him. Just sieve out the tiny nuggets that are worth keeping and discard the rest.
    • ABrass
    • By ABrass 16th Jan 20, 11:54 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    ABrass
    I think it's more like sifting through a pile of excrement in a third world nation for a dropped mobile phone. And that sort of behaviour results in people being killed by the smell (well, toxic gas buildups).

Sometimes it's not worth it, just let them go and get some new ideas that don't involve digging through !!!!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,551Users online

Martin's Twitter