Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 23rd Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    • 4,764Posts
    • 2,629Thanks
    Ben8282
    0 WOW
    Sainsburys 100% increase in cost of carrier bags
    • 23rd Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    0 WOW
    Sainsburys 100% increase in cost of carrier bags 23rd Nov 19 at 6:30 PM
    Sainsubrys have doubled the price of their carrier bags from 10p to 20p overnight.
    This is getting beyond a joke.
Page 4
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 25th Dec 19, 6:55 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 3,030 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Nope..... just don't sell plastic bags at checkout. Supermarkets are profiteering under the banner of the environment.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    That's exactly why they all got rid of the 5p bags. They knew they can keep 100% of the profits from the 10p+ bags instead of having to donate it to charity.
    • yksi
    • By yksi 25th Dec 19, 11:14 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    yksi
    It does remind me of people who get caught by speed cameras and complain it's about the police making money.

It's not just the number of these reusable bags they're selling is too high - they're looking at individual sales data on our loyalty cards, and seeing that too many individual humans buy a bag every visit. ie they have evidence that 10p is not deterring people from throwing plastic into the bin. As has been said, we remember our keys as we leave the house, we remember our phone. It just needs a small behaviour shift to add "bags" to that checklist as we leave.

I still manage to collect them... I am pretty good about taking bags with me when I shop, but I'm forever bringing food home from work and somehow, supermarket carrier bags multiply in the hospitality industry (I'm looking at you, hotel guests). Recent favourite, a couple who brought four huge bags of groceries for a one-week stay and left all the heavy-duty Tesco bags behind - the ones with the cloth handles.
    • bhaskar
    • By bhaskar 14th Jan 20, 8:03 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bhaskar
    i have over 300 carrier bags now
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 15th Jan 20, 7:04 AM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 5,192 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Originally posted by bhaskar

Are you bragging or bemoaning your lack of planning skills?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 15th Jan 20, 7:24 AM
    • 14,279 Posts
    • 43,944 Thanks
    sarah1972
    i have over 200 carrier bags

Why would you get another 100 carrier bags in one month? How many do you really need for your shopping.

I have cotton reusable bags.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • bhaskar
    • By bhaskar 19th Jan 20, 4:34 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bhaskar
    Why would you get another 100 carrier bags in one month? How many do you really need for your shopping.

I have cotton reusable bags.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    when i said i had 200, that was a estimate, was more near to 250

i have 3 full boxes of new carrier bags that haven't been used yet

my 4th box already has 32 new carrier bags

i get them from the charity shop i volunteer at, so i don't have to pay for them
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 19th Jan 20, 9:52 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    when i said i had 200, that was a estimate, was more near to 250

i have 3 full boxes of new carrier bags that haven't been used yet

my 4th box already has 32 new carrier bags

i get them from the charity shop i volunteer at, so i don't have to pay for them
    But why? What do you need that many carrier bags for?
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,304Posts Today

6,786Users online

Martin's Twitter