Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 4:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 4:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 4:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 7:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 194
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 16th Apr 19, 2:11 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    It seems that the post that I quoted is spam. I have now removed the details.
    Last edited by I-LOV-MONEY; 16-04-2019 at 3:25 PM.
    Thank you for reading this message.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 16th Apr 19, 2:13 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Mister G
    Yes, indeed.

As requested by MSE, I've already marked their post (and all their others) as Spam.

And as to putting their mobile number on a public forum, well.....
    Last edited by Mister G; 16-04-2019 at 2:20 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 16th Apr 19, 2:49 PM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    victor2
    Yes, indeed.

As requested by MSE, I've already marked their post (and all their others) as Spam.

And as to putting their mobile number on a public forum, well.....
    Originally posted by Mister G
    There's one born every minute they say.

Post has gone now, but the quote including the mobile number remains.

Maybe the quoter is hoping for secondary commission!
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 16th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY

Maybe the quoter is hoping for secondary commission!
    Originally posted by victor2

That would be good!

I have removed the details now.
    Thank you for reading this message.
    • Cecismisleading
    • By Cecismisleading 18th Apr 19, 5:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cecismisleading
    The cheap energy club persists in telling me that I can switch and make savings. Trouble is that the proposed switches invariably are more expensive than my current supplier. The reason is that the cec invariably compares available tariffs to my supplier’s standard rate, not the fixed rate I am actually on,
    And which is quite clearly stated in my account details. If it wasn’t MSE I’d be very suspicious. How many more people have been given wrong information and how may have taken the cec at its word and switched only to find they are now paying more. Annual price comparison figures are misleading, you have to look at the monthly cost figure, which is the figure most are familiar with.
    Last edited by Cecismisleading; 18-04-2019 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Checking
    • victor2
    • By victor2 18th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    victor2
    The cheap energy club persists in telling me that I can switch and make savings. Trouble is that the proposed switches invariably are more expensive than my current supplier. The reason is that the cec invariably compares available tariffs to my supplier’s standard rate, not the fixed rate I am actually on,
    And which is quite clearly stated in my account details. If it wasn’t MSE I’d be very suspicious. How many more people have been given wrong information and how may have taken the cec at its word and switched only to find they are now paying more. Annual price comparison figures are misleading, you have to look at the monthly cost figure, which is the figure most are familiar with.
    Originally posted by Cecismisleading
    Mmmm, signed up purely to use an anti-CEC username??
    Like just about all other comparison sites, CEC use the OFGEM mandated formula for comparisons, which invariably gives artificially high "savings" for anyone not already on a supplier's standard tariff. CEC does give the option to use "Currently you're paying" costs, regardless of when the tariff ends, as the comparison point. Annual costs are much more meaningful than monthly ones, as quite a few suppliers have tariffs which they increase in the winter months and decrease in the summer months, to ease their cash flow. Which monthly cost would you prefer they use?

Not saying CEC is fantastic - IME it is no better or worse than other comparison sites I've looked at.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 18th Apr 19, 6:18 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Originally posted by Cecismisleading
    Well, if you must persist in using the wrong comparison basis then you have only yourself to blame.

A case of a bad workman blaming his tools, methinks.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Mmmm, signed up purely to use an anti-CEC username??
    Like just about all other comparison sites, CEC use the OFGEM mandated formula for comparisons, which invariably gives artificially high "savings" for anyone not already on a supplier's standard tariff. . .
    Originally posted by victor2
    In fact I don't think CEC uses Ofgem's preferred method at all (Thank goodness !).

It seems to me that the two comparison bases are the price of: (1) a year on your current tariff or (2) a year on your supplier's go-to tariff at the end of a fix.
    • CityLite
    • By CityLite 23rd Apr 19, 1:55 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    CityLite
    In fact I don't think CEC uses Ofgem's preferred method at all ....
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    They do offer this option, so you can compare to other comparison sites accredited by Ofgem
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    They do offer this option, so you can compare to other comparison sites accredited by Ofgem
    Originally posted by CityLite
    Mmm, well, I can only find two options.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 23-04-2019 at 3:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,234Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin