Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 187
    • carefullwithcash
    • By carefullwithcash 1st Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carefullwithcash
    Why are there no EDF quotes appearing?
    I'm due to update my gas and Electricity this month and so I've done some searching using the Cheap Energy Club, Moneysupermarket and Compare the Market. With all these search engines I'm not getting any EDF quotes returned. I'm currently with EDF and happy to remain there. Anyone know why I'm not seeing any offers? I do see quotes on EDFs web site, but last years renewal I got a better deal (with them) through MoneySuperMarket.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 1st Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Perhaps because they are too expensive so appear further down the results?
    On the Cheap Energy Club(CEC) you can tick the box "Tariffs from my current supplier" which shows just those tariffs.
    For me EDF do show on the CEC but well down the list as they are 33% more expensive than my current tariffs.
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 1st Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    I'm due to update my gas and Electricity this month and so I've done some searching using the Cheap Energy Club, Moneysupermarket and Compare the Market. With all these search engines I'm not getting any EDF quotes returned. I'm currently with EDF and happy to remain there. Anyone know why I'm not seeing any offers? I do see quotes on EDFs web site, but last years renewal I got a better deal (with them) through MoneySuperMarket.
    Originally posted by carefullwithcash
    Restrict results output to the major suppliers only
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 1st Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    Is Utility Warehouse any good?
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have any experience of Utility Warehouse please? I'm considering signing up with them but wondering if there are any problems/negatives I should be aware of....
    Originally posted by jannerjules
    Is Utility Warehouse any good?

This is a commonly-asked question. Unlike most energy companies and resellers, Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing, which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm. That in itself doesn't make the product bad, but in our view it's no better or worse than any other energy provider.

The main pitch of Utility Warehouse is that you can also get cheap mobile, broadband and home phones with it and that reduces the fee. In general, we find using the cheapest individual providers undercuts this, so always compare with those before signing up to it. See our Cheap Home Phones, Cheap Broadband and Cheap Mobiles guides for more.

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/faq
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 1st Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Anyone know why I'm not seeing any offers? I do see quotes on EDFs web site, but last years renewal I got a better deal (with them) through MoneySuperMarket.
    Originally posted by carefullwithcash
    For what its worth, the cheapest E.on tariff for me (using CEC comparison with my current tariff) would see my annual estimated dual fuel costs rise from 638 currently to 868 if I switched to E.on's Smart Saver 1 Year v5.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Worried of wakefield
    • By Worried of wakefield 9th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Worried of wakefield
    Best comparison site by far is the Citizens advice energy site, I dont believe they accept 'kick backs' unlike a number of the big sites and they offer scores and scores of small companys offering huge savings, however from what I read there is a range of differing customer service quality

One company to avoid Together Energy, just had 10 months of hell with them, shall be using above site to find a new supplier shortly
    • codger
    • By codger 9th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    codger
    Best comparison site by far is the Citizens advice energy site, I dont believe they accept 'kick backs' unlike a number of the big sites and they offer scores and scores of small companys offering huge savings, however from what I read there is a range of differing customer service quality.
    Originally posted by Worried of wakefield
    Unfortunately, offering "scores and scores of small companies" without validation of what those small operators are actually like is of little benefit.

If you look back in time, you'll remember that privatisation of the UK energy market was the mantra of glib ideologists who said that a free market allowed greater competition and greater competition was good news for everyone.

Well, yes. Theoretically. But a free market into which any man and his dog can enter isn't any kind of market at all but a shambles. Which is exactly what happened here in the UK, with one "small company" after another getting a licence from OFGEM without providing much if anything in the way of proof that (a) they were properly funded; (b) had adequate prior experience and expertise; and (c) had sufficient in the way of resources to run an effective back office for billing and administration, and an effective front office for providing good customer service.

It's frankly unbelievable that so many dysfunctional operators were allowed to enter this market in search of quick 'n easy profits, but that's exactly what happened. Many of them are still here.

One company to avoid Together Energy, just had 10 months of hell with them, shall be using above site to find a new supplier shortly
    Originally posted by Worried of wakefield
    Which, to be honest, says it all.

The lesson to be learned is that comparison sites of whatever kind tell only a part of the story. The rest of that story is to be found in consumer websites such as this -- to which you yourself have now made a useful contribution in regard to a, er, one of the "scores and scores of small companies": Total Energy. . .
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 9th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Ken68
    This site in the past has called for increased competition and we now have it. These small companies have done their sums, use 'em or lose 'em.
    Thanks for Citizens Advice mention, they and MSE have just confirmed that Tonik Energy are the cheapest for me and GREEN and NO EXIT FEE and NO PROBLEMS so far. Smooth transfer from Scottish Power.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 9th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . It's frankly unbelievable that so many dysfunctional operators were allowed to enter this market in search of quick 'n easy profits, but that's exactly what happened. Many of them are still here. . .
    Originally posted by codger
    It has long been my view that Ofgem's sole interest has been to get people to switch - even if it means deliberately misleading customers as to its benefits, i.e claimed "savings".
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    I've just compared and it seems even the small companies only save me a few pounds on what I'm currently paying. All are saying me money on what I will be paying in a month or so, but it's always more than I pay now...

Out of the big companies, it seems the one I am already with is offering the best option... but I assume I can't get cashback to switch to a tariff with the supplier I am already with..?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 10th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I've just compared and it seems even the small companies only save me a few pounds on what I'm currently paying. All are saying me money on what I will be paying in a month or so, but it's always more than I pay now...

Out of the big companies, it seems the one I am already with is offering the best option... but I assume I can't get cashback to switch to a tariff with the supplier I am already with..?
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    Energy prices are rising across the board at the moment. You will be lucky if you can get a new tariff at the same cost you are currently paying let alone save anything.

If the small companies are saving you anything at all and you can also get some cash-back then they might be worth considering.

Make sure you really will be saving and are not simply relying on the "savings" promises from the comparison sites.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 11th Aug 18, 6:19 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Ken68
    Switching is part of the present political climate...compete or die.
    The banks are doing it too.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 11th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Can anyone tell me if switching to a different tariff with the same supplier allow me to get cashback or not?

Thanks!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 11th Aug 18, 5:18 PM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Can anyone tell me if switching to a different tariff with the same supplier allow me to get cashback or not?

Thanks!
    Almost certainly not.
    Stompa
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 19,710 Posts
    • 13,912 Thanks
    molerat

Thanks!
    With most suppliers no but with E.On it often works.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 13th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5,380 Posts
    • 20,186 Thanks
    abba1772
    I've managed to reduce my monthly payments by switching from Sainsburys energy ( British gas) to sse Scottish hydro from 83.11 to 65 saving me about 212 a year ........I thought this was a great deal considering I'm in a three bed house with three kids who don't know how to turn stuff off

Plus got 28 cashback too
    NEXT TARGET VERY WAS Dec 18 591.94 NOW 231.46
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 12575.64
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 14th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out

Thanks!
    If you mean via a comparison site, then as long as you have filled in all your details correctly, then the comparison site will indicate whether or not you can switch via them.

If you can switch via the comparison site, and that site offers cashback, then you would be entitled to such cashback on successful switching.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Energy firms accused of blocking customers trying to switch to cheaper rivals
    According to an article in <Mail on Sunday>

"A high rate of switching failures has prompted the energy regulator Ofgem to propose an automatic compensation scheme for customers caught in the middle.

They could receive around 30 for each problem encountered during a switch and this could be in place by January 1 next year. It should serve as the necessary kick required for suppliers not working hard enough to handle complications that are within their control to resolve."

About time too, if you ask me.
    • Saver240
    • By Saver240 31st Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Saver240
    My fixed tarif is due to end early October. Switching to the same supplier is my cheapest option, but my bills will be 5/ month more. Should I switch now, or wait until the last minute? I don't want to be paying more for the last month if I could just wait it out. Alternatively can I set the switch date to a month in advance?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 31st Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Consumerist
    My fixed tarif is due to end early October. Switching to the same supplier is my cheapest option, but my bills will be 5/ month more. Should I switch now, or wait until the last minute? I don't want to be paying more for the last month if I could just wait it out. Alternatively can I set the switch date to a month in advance?
    Originally posted by Saver240
    First, I would suggest contacting your current supplier to see what options are available to you. They might freeze the new tariff's rates for you until the switch takes place.

Otherwise, the general direction of travel for energy prices, at the moment, is upwards so switching sooner might be the better option. Bear in mind that consumption in September in generally fairly low so the exact timing of the switch is going to have less impact on next year's consumption than if you switch in the winter months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

2,262Users online

Martin's Twitter