Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 185
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus

Having said that, I have witnessed very good customer service from EON. You will see their reps are pretty active on here too. They are not (and probably never will be) the cheapest, but if you don't mind paying a bit more, they will be there should you need them, in my experience.
    )
    Originally posted by victor2
    Caveat Emptor. Paying more in my experience does not necessarily mean better customer service. Equally, small does not mean bad customer service. Over the past 2 years, I have had/am receiving excellent service from Zog, Bulb, Powershop and Octopus. Conversely, I have had appalling customer service from Iresa - as has been the case for many.

It is worth remembering that provided energy accounts are monitored closely by the consumer, then the consumer holds all the cards - however bad the supplier. I ditched and switched away from Iresa after 3 months. Yes, I encountered a certain amount of pain for a further 3 months but I came away with £75 for poor customer service. The irony here is that I told The EO that I only wanted a correct bill. Their response was that I couldn’t choose the bits I liked/disliked from their Final Decision.

I am sure that all new suppliers start off with the best of intentions. Like all start ups, there is a sizeable element of Bank debt. Posters on forums such as MSE shout out how good a small supplier is (based on nothing more than a switch!) and MSE gives it a ‘top pick’ annotation (based on what?). Owners of some energy companies can start to see £ signs but they are reluctant to up CS staff despite increasing customer numbers. Things get missed; customer complaint numbers rise; The EO started gets involved; Ofgem reluctantly steps in when it is forced to do so by Citizens Advice and Which, and suppliers’ reputations suffer.

I’ll finish where I started: caveat emptor.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 12th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I always post to the appropriate Feedback thread on these boards after I've switched away from a supplier. I will also post during the lifetime of the contract if I have an issue and will update with the resolution too.
    Then others can see the good and bad bits of that supplier.
    (No supplier is perfect, all have things that could be done better)
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 4,958 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . It is worth remembering that provided energy accounts are monitored closely by the consumer, then the consumer holds all the cards . .
    Originally posted by Hengus
    If only that were true.

No matter how diligent you may be with meter readings, it is the supplier who hold all the cards if you are on a fixed contract. They have your credit balance to start with. If you want to switch there is often the prospect of early-termination fees to pay. If you are in debit on your account then they have the option to object to a switch, anyway.

You can avoid some of these pitfalls by choosing only tariffs without exit fees but it can be an uphill struggle to settle on a reasonable direct debit payment and, again, to get a refund if you have an excessive credit balance. The big six are better at refunding credit balances but you tend to pay more for the energy from them.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • anneliese123
    • By anneliese123 24th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anneliese123
    Anneliese
    Hi ,

My current Fixed Term Deal is coming to an end June 2018 .

Looked at Cheap Energy Club Comparison , a Company called Solarplicity have a competitive
    Fixed deal , does anyone have any feedback on this Company please ?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 24th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @anneliese123
    Solarplicity thread thread is at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415855
    • anneliese123
    • By anneliese123 25th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anneliese123
    Anneliese
    Thank you , not great feedback .
    Am struggling to find information ref different Utility Companies , if anyone can help ?
    I've called a few Comparison Companies Ie Energyhelpline and Uswitch , also checked Martin
    Lewis Energy Club , they all seem to give different Comparisons .
    Any recommendations as to which Comparison Sites are reputable please ?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 25th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Just moved from EoN to EDF energy for my prepayment Gas & Electricity. Based on current usage (yearly figures) I will save £35 a year & also I have claimed £52.50 cashback via TCB.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• Hengus
    • By Hengus 25th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus
    Am struggling to find information ref different Utility Companies , if anyone can help ?
    I've called a few Comparison Companies Ie Energyhelpline and Uswitch , also checked Martin
    Originally posted by anneliese123
    They are all reputable as before they can trade they have to be signed up to Ofgem!!!8217;s Confidence Code. If you use a given postcode and use kWhs/year for gas and electricity consumption, then you will get the same result from any PCW. The only !!!8216;difference!!!8217; might be that suppliers and some comparison sites show unit prices and standing charges excluding VAT. In all cases, the total cost shown will be the same.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 25th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    All 3 sites mentioned are are reputable.
    You could try the Citizens Advice Bureau comparison site https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/

What do you mean by different comparisons?
    You need to enter your annual energy used in kWh and just look at the total annual cost. You can get this figure from your previous bills and annual energy statement.
    Ignore any savings the comparison website claims, just concentrate on how much it will cost for the next year.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 25th May 18, 2:06 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    wavelets
    Here's the full list of all ofgem accredited energy comparison sites.

Quotezone
    www.quotezone.co.uk

The Energy Shop
    www.theenergyshop.com

Runpath
    www.runpathdigital.com/gas-electricity/

Simply Switch
    www.simplyswitch.com

My Utility Genius
    www.myutilitygenius.co.uk

Switch Gas and Electric
    www.switchgasandelectric.com

Energylinx
    www.energylinx.co.uk

Unravel It
    www.unravelit.com

Money Supermarket
    www.moneysupermarket.com

Energy Helpline
    www.energyhelpline.com

uSwitch
    www.uswitch.com

So long as you are inputting the same estimated annual consumption in kWh, they should all give the same results.

If you do unfortunately find an inconsistent result, the 2 or more sites that have common results are probably the correct ones, as it would be most unlikely that 2 or more independent sites would make the same error.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    From today's Telegraph:

Half of Britain’s energy suppliers face an existential risk after the “Beast from the East” tore through the balance sheets of the industry’s small players.

Thousands of energy customers could be left in limbo due to a high risk that around 10 of the most fragile suppliers are on the brink of going under.

Many hundreds of thousands more bill payers face the risk of sudden !energy tariff hikes because almost 40 suppliers may be forced to squeeze their customers to survive.

If there's any truth in this story it highlights the desirability of going for a company with a sound balance sheet - you won't lose money if your energy company collapses, but it may be messy and you will lose your cheap deal until you can find a replacement.
    • Shavuot
    • By Shavuot 27th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Shavuot
    From today's Telegraph:

Half of Britain’s energy suppliers face an existential risk after the “Beast from the East” tore through the balance sheets of the industry’s small players.

Thousands of energy customers could be left in limbo due to a high risk that around 10 of the most fragile suppliers are on the brink of going under.

Many hundreds of thousands more bill payers face the risk of sudden !energy tariff hikes because almost 40 suppliers may be forced to squeeze their customers to survive.

If there's any truth in this story it highlights the desirability of going for a company with a sound balance sheet - you won't lose money if your energy company collapses, but it may be messy and you will lose your cheap deal until you can find a replacement.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Love a good scaremongerer on this site

As you say, "you won't lose money if your energy company collapses", but based on the recent collapses of energy companies, don't suppliers appointed to take over maintain the existing tariff?
    (at least where it is a fixed term ... so best to switch away today from any supplier that has you on a variable, ongoing tariff.
    e.g. Bulb Energy
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    Love a good scaremongerer on this site

As you say, "you won't lose money if your energy company collapses", but based on the recent collapses of energy companies, don't suppliers appointed to take over maintain the existing tariff?
    (at least where it is a fixed term ... so best to switch away today from any supplier that has you on a variable, ongoing tariff.
    e.g. Bulb Energy
    Originally posted by Shavuot
    More a case of advising simple and sensible consumer precautions and forward planning than scaremongering I think.

You don't necessarily get to keep your nice cheap tariff with the company taking over.
    • Shavuot
    • By Shavuot 28th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Shavuot
    With the scaremongering going on here and in another thread subsequently created presumably for added effect, I think we should all buy shares in candle makers.

There'll be a huge demand soon when all the gas & electricity suppliers have gone bust.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 28th May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    With the scaremongering going on here and in another thread subsequently created presumably for added effect, I think we should all buy shares in candle makers....
    Originally posted by Shavuot
    Scaremongering? Who's the scaremonger?

# 4 Shavuot Old Today, 11:26 AM
    MoneySaving Convert

Can't see the Big 6 being around too much longer.

nPower have already reportedly told their staff to expecxt 5000 job cuts as a result of the "merger" with E.On

SSE is also linked to the "merger" having reportedly lost almost 1/2 million customers in the last year.

BG seems to be on target for losing a similar amount of customers too.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus
    Suppliers pay their wholesalers in advance of supply - often months/years in advance. Not all the smaller suppliers have the finances to hedge in this way so they can be caught out if (a) consumer consumption is higher than normal (eg; Beast from the East) and (b) short term wholesale prices rise. Suppliers do not have the luxury of turning off the tap just because their customers are using more energy than was predicted. If they want to stay in business, then their only option is to go out and buy more energy - even if the short-term wholesale price is crippling. In such circumstances, an increase to the costs of their tariffs follows. If they get this wrong, then the supplier finds itself in a GBEnergy situation where the only sensible commercial decision is to stop trading. Ofgem steps in and appoints a Supplier of Last Resort which pays £10M for the 160k additional customers followed by a payment of £14M from the Consumer Levy to cover consumer credits and tariff subsidy costs.

Dun and Bradstreet are not known for their scaremongering. They have a business reputation to protect. Are they right: only time will tell.
    Last edited by Hengus; 28-05-2018 at 2:21 PM.
    • anneliese123
    • By anneliese123 5th Jun 18, 11:23 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anneliese123
    Anneliese
    Thank you for your advice , I have followed this and a Company called Outfox The Market seems to be the most Competitive , does anyone have any feedback on this Company please ?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 7th Jun 18, 9:13 AM
    • 4,958 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Outfox The Market seems to be the most Competitive , does anyone have any feedback on this Company please ?
    There is a <MSE feedback thread> which might help you.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 12th Jun 18, 8:52 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Cheap Energy Club - energy usage calcs
    Why is it that all the comparison sites, including the MSE CEC ask for either consumption in either KWhr or cost in GBP for the year, but exclude the ability to input meter readings at the start/end of the year. For me its far easier to get these from my current supplier than to calculate the cost/consumption in KWhr, and I assume the cost/consumption can be calculated quite easily by the comparison sites from meter readings.
    Am I missing a trick here?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Jun 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus
    Why is it that all the comparison sites, including the MSE CEC ask for either consumption in either KWhr or cost in GBP for the year, but exclude the ability to input meter readings at the start/end of the year. For me its far easier to get these from my current supplier than to calculate the cost/consumption in KWhr, and I assume the cost/consumption can be calculated quite easily by the comparison sites from meter readings.
    Am I missing a trick here?
    Originally posted by Dewpoint
    All energy statements show either the Estimated Annual Usage in £s/year or kWhs/year. This is a Supply Licence Standard Condition. PCWs have to follow the Ofgem Confidence Code which essentially means that they comply with what is in suppliers' licences. Hence, PCWs offer either kWhs/year or annual cost.

All that said, I am not sure what it is that is causing you a problem. For electricity, the maths are a simple subtraction. For a metric gas meter, it is a simple subtraction times 11.22 to convert cubic metres into kWhs. This though will not take into account seasonal weather variations (eg; cold/warm Winters): this requires a bit of thought.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,486Posts Today

6,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin