Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 185
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    Hengus

Having said that, I have witnessed very good customer service from EON. You will see their reps are pretty active on here too. They are not (and probably never will be) the cheapest, but if you don't mind paying a bit more, they will be there should you need them, in my experience.
    )
    Originally posted by victor2
    Caveat Emptor. Paying more in my experience does not necessarily mean better customer service. Equally, small does not mean bad customer service. Over the past 2 years, I have had/am receiving excellent service from Zog, Bulb, Powershop and Octopus. Conversely, I have had appalling customer service from Iresa - as has been the case for many.

It is worth remembering that provided energy accounts are monitored closely by the consumer, then the consumer holds all the cards - however bad the supplier. I ditched and switched away from Iresa after 3 months. Yes, I encountered a certain amount of pain for a further 3 months but I came away with £75 for poor customer service. The irony here is that I told The EO that I only wanted a correct bill. Their response was that I couldn’t choose the bits I liked/disliked from their Final Decision.

I am sure that all new suppliers start off with the best of intentions. Like all start ups, there is a sizeable element of Bank debt. Posters on forums such as MSE shout out how good a small supplier is (based on nothing more than a switch!) and MSE gives it a ‘top pick’ annotation (based on what?). Owners of some energy companies can start to see £ signs but they are reluctant to up CS staff despite increasing customer numbers. Things get missed; customer complaint numbers rise; The EO started gets involved; Ofgem reluctantly steps in when it is forced to do so by Citizens Advice and Which, and suppliers’ reputations suffer.

I’ll finish where I started: caveat emptor.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 12th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I always post to the appropriate Feedback thread on these boards after I've switched away from a supplier. I will also post during the lifetime of the contract if I have an issue and will update with the resolution too.
    Then others can see the good and bad bits of that supplier.
    (No supplier is perfect, all have things that could be done better)
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 4,832 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . It is worth remembering that provided energy accounts are monitored closely by the consumer, then the consumer holds all the cards . .
    Originally posted by Hengus
    If only that were true.

No matter how diligent you may be with meter readings, it is the supplier who hold all the cards if you are on a fixed contract. They have your credit balance to start with. If you want to switch there is often the prospect of early-termination fees to pay. If you are in debit on your account then they have the option to object to a switch, anyway.

You can avoid some of these pitfalls by choosing only tariffs without exit fees but it can be an uphill struggle to settle on a reasonable direct debit payment and, again, to get a refund if you have an excessive credit balance. The big six are better at refunding credit balances but you tend to pay more for the energy from them.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • anneliese123
    • By anneliese123 24th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anneliese123
    Anneliese
    Hi ,

My current Fixed Term Deal is coming to an end June 2018 .

Looked at Cheap Energy Club Comparison , a Company called Solarplicity have a competitive
    Fixed deal , does anyone have any feedback on this Company please ?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 24th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @anneliese123
    Solarplicity thread thread is at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415855
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

2,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin