Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 184
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I echo what has been said above about blindly swapping supplier. Don't do it without thoroughly checking the figures over first. These comparsion sites and the MSE claims of savings are often misleading.
    Originally posted by flashgit
    When comparing using CEC there are two options at the top of the page. One (on the right, and selected by default) uses Ofgem's rules to compare prices against the "do nothing" option which includes any period you might spend on the suppliers default tariff.

If you select the other option (on the left), you then compare your current prices with those of the new tariff so you get figures closer to those you calculated for yourself.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • boobbby
    • By boobbby 13th Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    • 768 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    boobbby
    Also received an email from MSE cheap energy club to switch from Igloo energy to Bulb energy this would cost me an extra 16 per year they also recommended EDF which would be an additional 86 per year. (These figures are also from their comparison site) The customer service from Igloo has so far been second to none as I am almost instantly connected on the phone or quickly replied by email. I have to give my reading once a month but receive the up to date bill within hours.
    • thor
    • By thor 20th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    thor
    How does the cheap energy club work when there is a snag in the switching process?
    A few days ago I applied to switch from npower to edf via cec. Yesterday EDF contacted me to tell me that npower had blocked the switch and that they will try again in 2 weeks time. I talked to npower who admitted they had made an error and have dropped the block so that the switch can now go ahead. Will my cashback be affected by this or will EDF trying again in two weeks still be regarded as part of the original cec switch and hence still qualify for the cashback?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    How does the cheap energy club work when there is a snag in the switching process?
    A few days ago I applied to switch from npower to edf via cec. Yesterday EDF contacted me to tell me that npower had blocked the switch and that they will try again in 2 weeks time. I talked to npower who admitted they had made an error and have dropped the block so that the switch can now go ahead. Will my cashback be affected by this or will EDF trying again in two weeks still be regarded as part of the original cec switch and hence still qualify for the cashback?
    Originally posted by thor
    As long as the switch actually takes place, you should get your cashback. Switching times vary, anyway, between suppliers.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 20th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I find the latest email from the Cheap Energy Club more than a little confusing. It very much promotes the MSE big switch 10 as if all the negotiating power of MSE has secured a special low deal but if I click on both the links on the email I get.

Big switch 10 (bulb energy) will save me 174 a year
    Full market comparison shows Eversmartenergy will save me 229 a year
    Both have no exit fees.

So it would appear that I can get a cheaper tariff with no negotiation and no special MSE entry. The last time a year ago I went with green star specialy negotiated by MSE only to have time consuming problems and hear many tales of appalling service which I fully expect will happen to me again (which I am dreading) when I try to leave.

So the questions are, why would I select a more expensive tariff ? and
    Why were MSE negotiations so poor that they ended up with tariffs greater than can be obtained on the open market?

Please tell me am I missing something?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Why were MSE negotiations so poor that they ended up with tariffs greater than can be obtained on the open market?
    Please tell me am I missing something?
    Originally posted by murphydavid
    I guess the short answer is that those suppliers who offer the cheapest tariffs do not have the resources to undertake switching the relatively large numbers which would switch in the short period expected by "Big" switches.
    • seront
    • By seront 23rd Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    seront
    deal problesm
    I have used the Cheap Energy Club to get a deal with EDF. I got a letter from EDF saying details were wrong. It appears I did a typo when I joined MSE years ago.
    I asked EDF to change the details but they said they could not as it is part of a deal with MSE.
    I tried to change my details on MSE but was not allowed as a deal was in progress.
    I am in the position of nearing the end of my current deal but unable to progress with EDF and unable to change details with MSE so I can progress.
    PS MSE is definitely user unfriendly due to the lack of being able to contact them for problems.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 23rd Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I have used the Cheap Energy Club to get a deal with EDF. I got a letter from EDF saying details were wrong. It appears I did a typo when I joined MSE years ago.
    I asked EDF to change the details but they said they could not as it is part of a deal with MSE.
    I tried to change my details on MSE but was not allowed as a deal was in progress.
    I am in the position of nearing the end of my current deal but unable to progress with EDF and unable to change details with MSE so I can progress.
    PS MSE is definitely user unfriendly due to the lack of being able to contact them for problems.
    Originally posted by seront
    How about here?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/faqs/how-do-i-report-an-energy-club-issue/
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 23rd Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Hengus
    Exactly which details are you trying to change?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . PS MSE is definitely user unfriendly due to the lack of being able to contact them for problems.
    You can email them at:

energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
    Last edited by Consumerist; 24-04-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    • seront
    • By seront 23rd Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    seront
    My house number. I joined years ago but made a typo and put an eight (8) instead of a six (6).
    • redux
    • By redux 8th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 24,481 Thanks
    redux
    Cheap Energy Club tells me I can save over 400 a year.

The usual explanation for this is that the comparison is based on your existing fixed tariff until it ends, then defaults to the supplier's standard tariff.

Not this time. It is comparing to standard tariff for the whole year.

This is while a switch is in progress, it says. No, it already happened nearly 2 weeks ago. Surely a more valid comparison would be against either the old or new fixed tariff, not standard tariff. I wonder if this false headlining of 400 saving risks confusing people into feeling they've made a wrong choice.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Hengus

The usual explanation for this is that the comparison is based on your existing fixed tariff until it ends, then defaults to the supplier's standard tariff.

This is while a switch is in progress, it says. No, it already happened nearly 2 weeks ago. Surely a more valid comparison would be against either the old or new fixed tariff, not standard tariff. I wonder if this false headlining of 400 saving risks confusing people into feeling they've made a wrong choice.
    Originally posted by redux
    MSE CEC offers a simple 'year cost on present tariff' compared to 'year cost on these tariffs'. It is worth bearing in mind that Ofgem's methodology (which is under review) works for all consumers who are still on SVTs (80%) and for those on fixed tariffs with more than 12 months to run. The rest, having switched already, should be savvy enough to work it out for themselves.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 8th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    wavelets

Originally posted by redux
    It can take approx 3 months after the switch occurs for a supplier to notify MSE that the switch has occurred.

Your MSE account should clearly identify what supplier & tariffs that are being compared, and more importantly, that you have a switch in progress.

Whilst you have a switch in progress, MSE will not allow you to switch again (for the fuel(s) involved)
    • redux
    • By redux 8th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 24,481 Thanks
    redux
    MSE CEC offers a simple 'year cost on present tariff' compared to 'year cost on these tariffs'. It is worth bearing in mind that Ofgem's methodology (which is under review) works for all consumers who are still on SVTs (80%) and for those on fixed tariffs with more than 12 months to run. The rest, having switched already, should be savvy enough to work it out for themselves.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    It can take approx 3 months after the switch occurs for a supplier to notify MSE that the switch has occurred.

Your MSE account should clearly identify what supplier & tariffs that are being compared, and more importantly, that you have a switch in progress.

Whilst you have a switch in progress, MSE will not allow you to switch again (for the fuel(s) involved)
    Originally posted by wavelets
    Thanks for the info it can take some time to feed back to the CEC account. The transfer itself took 5 days, including part of a weekend.

When I posted earlier, and also when I looked a couple of days ago, I was definitely being shown a comparison list which started with saving 426, which represented a comparison with 1197 on standard tariff, not the pre or after switch tariffs which are both fixed for slightly over a year from now.

However I logged in again just now, and I'm now shown a comparison list which uses a baseline of the old tariff, so maybe the comparison with standard tariff was just a temporary glitch.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 25,881 Posts
    • 55,124 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm such a chicken
    Its time for me to switch my energy tariff and I'm bemused by the plethora of new companies offering fuel. I've had one such dealing through no fault of my own and I wouldn't want to repeat this experience.

I have little tolerance for poor CS so whilst I don't want to pay over the odds, nor do I wish to deal with companies without an established track record. So whilst I could theoretiicaally save the best part of 300 pa using a new provider (handy money that could be used to make my home much more energy efficient!) I'd rather save less and go with one of the names I recognise. Although I hate the thought of letting companies profit from my aversion to hassle, my thinking is that within 18 months from now, a list of baddies will be established from feedback.

Is this an unreasonable position to take? Am I just a big fat chook?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 12th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @VfM4meplse
    No it is a good idea to research the company's you wish to move to.
    I use the price comparisons as a starting point and remove company's based on their feedback. Hence I would never touch Iresa, First Utility just to name 2 who have appeared top of the lists for me in the past year.
    I also remove companies who I have used and had bad experiences with too.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 25,881 Posts
    • 55,124 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It would be brilliant if MSE could provide an up-to-date table of suppliers and customer satisfaction ratings (not just as a note on the quotes). I appreciate its a moving feast and always will be, but it would offer a guide at least.

Unless they already have and I don't see it?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • victor2
    • By victor2 12th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    victor2
    Customer ratings are always difficult to interpret. Most people who've had an OK deal with a supplier wouldn't go to the trouble to shout about it. Have a problem with their service and you're much more likely to make some niose about it. How do suppliers give customers excellent service? After all, all a customer wants is to have their utilities when required and pay a reasonable price for it without any trouble.

Having said that, I have witnessed very good customer service from EON. You will see their reps are pretty active on here too. They are not (and probably never will be) the cheapest, but if you don't mind paying a bit more, they will be there should you need them, in my experience.
    I should add I am not a customer of theirs. Was once, but have moved to cheaper deals quite a few times since, as I feel I have a better than average understanding of the services provided and am prepared to deal with less satisfactory customer service, although there are still suppliers I wouldn't touch with the proverbial bargepole!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    It would be brilliant if MSE could provide an up-to-date table of suppliers and customer satisfaction ratings (not just as a note on the quotes). I appreciate its a moving feast and always will be, but it would offer a guide at least. . .
    Originally posted by V fM4meplse
    <Citizens Advice> provide customer complaints data which is based on the level of complaints received. There is always a problem with the newer, smaller suppliers where there just isn't the data available until they become established. For more peace of mind it would probably be best to avoid suppliers for which there is insufficient data.

That said, you can never be 100% certain of good customer service even with suppliers having a low complaints level. Low doesn't mean zero.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 12-05-2018 at 1:54 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,031Posts Today

8,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin