Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 183
    • momist
    • By momist 7th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    momist
    You really do have to check your figures.
    I switched myself to a Fairer Power dual fuel 1 year fix in November, when my last deal with Eon ran out and their prices were no longer competitive. Fairer Power is a strange local (NW) arrangement with local council backing, but utilising Ovo Energy as supplier at a special rate.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, I can't find the actual rate that I am paying in the Cheap Energy Club, and therefore the comparisons offered here are way off target. The Club says I'm paying £486 per year too much!
    I have just done a comparison using my own consumption figures, and the standing charge and unit prices of the tariff I am on, with the Octopus rates on the Big Switch. They prove that I'm saving enough on the lower unit rates to compensate for the higher standing charge, and even with the £50 cashback for switching I could only save less than £3 in the next year. I'm staying with what I've got.
    You really do have to check your own figures, every time.
    • PhylPho
    • By PhylPho 8th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    PhylPho
    I've just checked, too. We're on EDF's Blue Price Protection to October and the figures on offer by the Energy Club really don't stack up. There's also the fact that the 2-year fix is posited on the notion that after October this year, we'll be paying a 'standard tariff'. But. . . We won't. There'll be plenty of offers between now and then from suppliers large and small. This is one ticking clock -- the deadline is apparently only a few hours away -- that we'll let tick on regardless.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 8th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . You really do have to check your own figures, every time.
    Originally posted by momist
    I agree. Particularly if switching at this time of year when consumption rates are high. I've decided to give it a miss until my current contract expires. I'll have another look-see then.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Lisrobbo
    • By Lisrobbo 9th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisrobbo
    British Gas one year fixed deal from late 2017; I "switched" from Sainsburys to British Gas via the Energy Club. Got the confirmation,then nothing..till I realised my DDR from January hadn't gone out and that neither Sainsburys nor BGas had asked for a reading. Phoned Sainsbury Jan18th and BGas had apparently "cancelled" my switch! - so after a few "holds" all seemed to be sorted and sure enough BGas phoned to say it was all sorted. MLEnergy Club confirmed my switch ages ago and I have received £25,but as of yesterday I am still with Sainsburys and awaiting a call from them to see what is going on. Unfortunately this is the second time I have had a switch problem with BGas. On my switch to Sainsburys last year they forgot to switch my electricity and just did the gas! So after this year I will be looking away from British Gas...
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 9th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    British Gas one year fixed deal from late 2017; I "switched" from Sainsburys to British Gas via the Energy Club. Got the confirmation,then nothing..till I realised my DDR from January hadn't gone out and that neither Sainsburys nor BGas had asked for a reading. Phoned Sainsbury Jan18th and BGas had apparently "cancelled" my switch! - so after a few "holds" all seemed to be sorted and sure enough BGas phoned to say it was all sorted. MLEnergy Club confirmed my switch ages ago and I have received £25,but as of yesterday I am still with Sainsburys and awaiting a call from them to see what is going on. Unfortunately this is the second time I have had a switch problem with BGas. On my switch to Sainsburys last year they forgot to switch my electricity and just did the gas! So after this year I will be looking away from British Gas...
    Originally posted by Lisrobbo
    This highlights one of the problems with switching through an intermediary.

The new supplier is responsible for the switch and if you go direct you know who to contact to get things sorted out. Where an intermediary is involved the buck can be passed from pillar to post.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 9th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    This highlights one of the problems with switching through an intermediary.

The new supplier is responsible for the switch and if you go direct you know who to contact to get things sorted out. Where an intermediary is involved the buck can be passed from pillar to post.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Very true. Also, by going direct with some companies you can use a referral code that pays more cash back than Price Comparison sites. For example, Bulb & Octopus are offering £50 cashback if you use a referral link.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 3,871 Thanks
    Hengus
    Very true. Also, by going direct with some companies you can use a referral code that pays more cash back than Price Comparison sites. For example, Bulb & Octopus are offering £50 cashback if you use a referral link.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    And I think that I am correct in saying that under the new Ofgem PCW Confidence Code these 'family and friends' deals will not be listed, whereas the total annual cost shown can now include any cash back paid by the PCW (ie; a share of the referral fee). The latter is already happening on MSE CEC.
    • Gmeasor
    • By Gmeasor 18th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gmeasor
    Has anyone used the “look after my bills service” it was looking good until it asked for my direct debit details. I can’t Find anything on the Internet that suggests this is a scam.
    • Gmeasor
    • By Gmeasor 18th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gmeasor
    Look after my bills
    Look after my bills: Does anybody have any experience with using the service? I was registering with it but became very hesitant when it asked for my bank account details and sort code under the guise of a direct debit. I have had a look to see if this is a scam and have not been able to find any information. Can anyone help?
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 18th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Has anyone used the “look after my bills service” it was looking good until it asked for my direct debit details. I can’t Find anything on the Internet that suggests this is a scam.
    Originally posted by Gmeasor
    Look after my bills: Does anybody have any experience with using the service? I was registering with it but became very hesitant when it asked for my bank account details and sort code under the guise of a direct debit. I have had a look to see if this is a scam and have not been able to find any information. Can anyone help?
    Originally posted by Gmeasor
    Mrs Biggles looks after all our bills

But for those not fortunate enough to find someone themself, there's always someone prepared to offer services for a price ...
    • deutsch
    • By deutsch 19th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    deutsch
    Started a switch from Scottish Power to EDF dual fuel. TCB £80 yesterday.
    Only get an email they've upped it £100 today.
    Still better than nothing. Hopefully will track and be paid.
    EDF were cheap regardless on this ocasion (so not after casback)
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 10th Mar 18, 1:10 AM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Hope this helps people as energy prices are ever increasing and this is the best deal by far (and it's super easy to switch)
    Originally posted by HereToHelp000
    My advice would be to use MSE Cheap Energy Club to compare energy suppliers and to see any warnings they may issue about them.
    • sky9
    • By sky9 11th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sky9
    Be careful when switching
    I have come on MSE to check tariff prices as my one year fix is coming to an end on April 31st.

Going through the analysis I was advised to switch even though it would cost me the early penalty. Whenever I prepare to switch I do spreadsheet analysis and found the following:

Affect Energy £1258
    MSE £1358
    It might well be that the current MSE rate is the best rate around for me however the best deal for me is to stay with AE until a couple of days before the end of April, set up the switch and remain on my current tariff until the switch is completed.

My advise is to do a very simple spreadsheet of standing charge *365 plus projected use in Kw by the annual use. Subtract any on-line discount and you have the yearly cost. Do that for both fuels and do the same for the recommended tariff.

WHATEVER YOU DO IGNORE THE HEADLINE SAVINGS BECAUSE THEY ARE BASED ON YOUR CURRENT TARIFF THEN THE FALLBACK TARIFF OF THE PROVIDER WHICH YOU AREN'T GOING TO USE ANYWAY.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . WHATEVER YOU DO IGNORE THE HEADLINE SAVINGS BECAUSE THEY ARE BASED ON YOUR CURRENT TARIFF THEN THE FALLBACK TARIFF OF THE PROVIDER WHICH YOU AREN'T GOING TO USE ANYWAY.
    Originally posted by sky9
    This advice has been posted in this and other threads for many years now but it is good to add another reminder from time to time.
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 12th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 909 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    April
    sky9 - 31 days in april now eh - I blame Brexit.
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • donerkebab
    • By donerkebab 12th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    donerkebab
    Started a switch from Scottish Power to EDF dual fuel. TCB £80 yesterday.
    Only get an email they've upped it £100 today.
    Still better than nothing. Hopefully will track and be paid.
    EDF were cheap regardless on this ocasion (so not after casback)
    Originally posted by deutsch
    Which tariff is this for? None are currently cheaper than Outfox for me even with the cashback.
    In the words of Jerry Maguire "SHOW ME THE MONEY"
    • halogen
    • By halogen 15th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    I've tried the Energy Club sign up and it crashes for me everytime I try... is there an ongoing issue?
    • RandS
    • By RandS 22nd Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RandS
    Scottish Power Estimate of my next 12 months cost
    Now look here. MSErs
    I have been looking at switching my electricity provider. I have carried out a few comparisons. Im wondering why it that my figures and those of some suppliers are close whilst one, that of Scottish Power suggests i'm all wrong by a good few £'s
    Looking at Unit rates quoted for an "Online Fix & save April 2019" tariff.

Using My figures of :
    Day usage /year = 4125Kwh
    Eco 7 night usage/yr = 1375Kwh
    Total Kw used = 5497 for the year

I have taken the figure of 5500 Kwh as a total for the year.
    So to the math. Using the following figures

365 days Standing chg 32.88/day x 365D = £120.012
    Daytime cost 16.694/Kwh x 4125H = £688.670
    Night cost 7.926/Kwh x 1375H = £108.980
    Making a Total = £917.662 ****

MY calculated direct debit/M would thus be 917.662/12 = £76.47 *

S.P are presenting me with the following as an expected cost using their calculator on their web site

"New annual electricity cost £700.63" *****
    "expected Dirct dbt £58.39" *

Now according to their figures, if i don't look too closely i could save £18/month over what i figure i would have to pay.

Can anybody please explain to me how on earth i could make such an error with this "simple" math. Or if its not me. How it is right to present these figures to people looking to compare the cost of electricity?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 22nd Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    victor2
    Now look here. MSErs
    I have been looking at switching my electricity provider. I have carried out a few comparisons. Im wondering why it that my figures and those of some suppliers are close whilst one, that of Scottish Power suggests i'm all wrong by a good few £'s
    Looking at Unit rates quoted for an "Online Fix & save April 2019" tariff.

Using My figures of :
    Day usage /year = 4125Kwh
    Eco 7 night usage/yr = 1375Kwh
    Total Kw used = 5497 for the year

I have taken the figure of 5500 Kwh as a total for the year.
    So to the math. Using the following figures

365 days Standing chg 32.88/day x 365D = £120.012
    Daytime cost 16.694/Kwh x 4125H = £688.670
    Night cost 7.926/Kwh x 1375H = £108.980
    Making a Total = £917.662 ****

MY calculated direct debit/M would thus be 917.662/12 = £76.47 *

S.P are presenting me with the following as an expected cost using their calculator on their web site

"New annual electricity cost £700.63" *****
    "expected Dirct dbt £58.39" *

Now according to their figures, if i don't look too closely i could save £18/month over what i figure i would have to pay.

Can anybody please explain to me how on earth i could make such an error with this "simple" math. Or if its not me. How it is right to present these figures to people looking to compare the cost of electricity?
    Originally posted by RandS
    It looks like the tarrif they quote is not E7, so just a single rate throughout the day.
    According to your figures, you only use 25% of your electricity on the night rate. Typically, you would expect to use at least 30% to make E7 a more cost effective tariff.
    Not sure where you got your E7 rates from, but I would guess their quote is saying you'd be better off not using E7.
    • flashgit
    • By flashgit 12th Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    flashgit
    Gas & Electricity Switching
    Having been tempted by the latest 'Big Switch' to do just that, using the comparison tool I input accurate figures from my previous bills to learn that I could 'save' £141 by switching to Bulb. However, when I came to use thepence per KW/Hr and standing charge figures provided by Bulb, I discovered that I would save £5.78 per quarter on my gas and spend an extra £5.35 on electricity. Quite how that adds up to a saving of £141 pa defeats me.

I echo what has been said above about blindly swapping supplier. Don't do it without thoroughly checking the figures over first. These comparsion sites and the MSE claims of savings are often misleading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

885Posts Today

7,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin