Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 182
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    footyguy
    ^^^ (@ Katy Stevens)
    I may have missed it, but I don't see that comparison site pays any cashback at all

How much cashback do they pay, and where can I find confirmation of this?

Edit: Oh it's not a compariosn site, but rather an automatic switching site. It seems they could switch you as much as 4 times a year, and so with an average referral of about 50 per switch, that'll be 200 a year they'll make out of you in commission ... for something you could do yourself, and perhaps trouser half of that by following the advice in the MSE article.

Your post leaves me with a slight meaty flavour, livened up with a hint of spice...

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 16-01-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    I switched with a new company called Switchcraft to Bulb. This seems way cheaper but apparently the tariff is increasing. Has anyone else heard that?
    Originally posted by Katy Stevens
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Bulb offers a variable tariff. All variable tariffs are subject to change and Bulb has indicated that it will review its tariffs in March:

Quote: You might have seen in the news that energy prices rose sharply last week. We just wanted to reassure you that since we buy our energy three months in advance, we don't need to change our prices now.

There's a chance we may have to increase our prices in March 2018. If we do, we promise to give you 60 days notice. And we never charge exit fees, so you can leave us anytime at zero cost.

We've written a blog with more info on how wholesale energy costs are changing because we think it's important to keep you informed. Unquote
    • boobbby
    • By boobbby 16th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    boobbby
    Yep! heard of Bulb although I am still a fan of Igloo Energy. I find if you ring a company and it answers almost immediately with no menus then it is worth considering.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    Yep! heard of Bulb although I am still a fan of Igloo Energy. I find if you ring a company and it answers almost immediately with no menus then it is worth considering.
    Originally posted by boobbby
    All new start ups are the same. It is when customer numbers increase that problems begin to surface.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    footyguy
    Originally posted by boobbby
    I rang my supplier last week. After a message apologising that they were experiencing a very large number of calls, and so apologised for the delay, I was informed I was Number 2 in the queue. So I actually got to speak to someone less than 2 minutes later.

Unfortunately, I had reason to call them again yesterday and was over 50 in the waitlist, and waiting time was almost an hour ... still at least they were paying for the call as it was a freephone number.

So it's very difficult to know what a supplier is like simply by calling them. You need to call them numerous times to ensure they conisitently answer the phone quickly, and if you need to call them that often, then something is seriously amiss.

Personally, I liked the fact that my supplier told me where I was in the list, and kept me updated thoughout the waiting time as to where I was in that waitlist. And the fact I do not have to pay for a call to make a complaint/ resolve an issue they caused was also a bonus.
    • davestretty
    • By davestretty 31st Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    davestretty
    iresa
    Anyone on IRESA Flex 4 12 month Fixed Direct Debit (Dual Fuel Economy 7)? I signed up last Aug assuming 12 moth fixed direct debit meant dd fixed for 12 months. Now in Jan they've upped my dd by 20 pm based on their inaccurate overestimate. Anyone else found this?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 31st Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    Anyone on IRESA Flex 4 12 month Fixed Direct Debit (Dual Fuel Economy 7)? I signed up last Aug assuming 12 moth fixed direct debit meant dd fixed for 12 months. Now in Jan they've upped my dd by 20 pm based on their inaccurate overestimate. Anyone else found this?
    Originally posted by davestretty
    Oh no. I really wish the energy industry would ditch the word FIXED. The only things that are fixed are the contract term; the standing charge and the unit price. Your monthly DD is based on 1/12 of the annual cost which is based, in turn, on your estimated annual consumption in kWhs/year. Use more than your projected usage, then you will pay more.

Check that your amended estimated usage is based on actual rather than estimated readings.

Sorting this out with Iresa might be difficult. Take comfort from the fact that you will only pay for the energy that you use.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    footyguy
    Originally posted by davestretty
    Iresa sent you an email requesting a meter reading.

If you had provided it taken on the last day of the month, they almost certainly would not have needed to have used an estimate.
    Even if you provided it up to 5 days prior to this (when the email was sent) or even 5 days after, the estimate would have been much more accurate.

Good luck!
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 1st Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @MSE Staffers

You really need to change the title of this thread as your Cheap Energy Club has not for several months offered up to 30 cashback.

All statements on company website by staff must be factually and legally correct or else you are in breach of the ASA Rules and Regulations.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 1st Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    @MSE Staffers

You really need to change the title of this thread as your Cheap Energy Club has not for several months offered up to 30 cashback.

All statements on company website by staff must be factually and legally correct or else you are in breach of the ASA Rules and Regulations.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Hi Gsminx

Thanks for flagging. This post actually links through to our guide rather than specifically about CEC, however I've tweaked the title just to be extra clear.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 1st Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @MSE Dan

Thank you for the tweak to the title.

And given the various cashback sites, you can get a lot more for switching if you choose carefully (I've benefited from 35 for a single fuel switch in the last 6 months by trawling the other cashback sites)
    • sueizzie
    • By sueizzie 6th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sueizzie
    Switching to new tariff with same supplier
    I've had a look to see if the answer to this is already on the forum but can't find it. Apologies if the question has already been answered.

On the Big Switch page, it says you can still switch to the new tariff if you are already with the supplier. In my case, I am currently with Octopus but want to switch to their new 14 month fixed tariff.

It seems I still need to fill in all the information on the Moneysupermarket form, ie bank details etc? I'm wondering if this could possibly cause confusion, as advisers will be very busy at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice/views.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 7th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I've had a look to see if the answer to this is already on the forum but can't find it. Apologies if the question has already been answered.

On the Big Switch page, it says you can still switch to the new tariff if you are already with the supplier. In my case, I am currently with Octopus but want to switch to their new 14 month fixed tariff.
    Originally posted by sueizzie
    Hi Sueizzie - I can confirm that you can switch from one Octopus tariff to the MSE collective tariff with it via Cheap Energy Club.

Usually Octopus doesn't allow this, but it has agreed to these tariff changes as part of our Big Switch event.

I hope this helps.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 7th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    It is worth noting that if you are not already an Octopus Energy customer you can switch to a fixed 12 month tariff at the same rates as the Big Switch 14 month tariff.

However, if you use a referral link from the referrals board you can get 50 cashback for signing up.
    • bigoll
    • By bigoll 7th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    bigoll
    Where are the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCRs)?
    Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere in the expansive forum threads but I couldn't find the answer.

Browsing the Cheap Energy Club and Big Switch information, I cannot find the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCRs) for any of the supplier deals listed. There is plenty of other information, including the unit rates and standing charges, but without the TCR (which combines the two to calculate the real-terms cost, it's very hard to make an accurate comparison.

Am I missing where the TCRs are recorded or an alternative method of finding out the figures? Or as MSE not included them for some reason?

I'm currently with Affect Energy on expiring fix but find it impossible to compare the cost of their new fix with, say, the collective Octopus fix, given Affect provides a TCR but the Cheap Energy Club doesn't. Affect's electricity and gas unit rates are cheaper, however, Octopus's standing charges for both are cheaper. This is where a TCR would come in handy!

Thoughts welcome...
    Last edited by bigoll; 07-02-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    • cinders59
    • By cinders59 7th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 58,025 Thanks
    cinders59
    I am locked into EDF until Sept 2018, is it worth switching to the MSE club switch for 18 months, I would have to pay an exit fee of 70

will the benefit of having a cheaper rate for the next 18 months or better to wait until my fixed rate ends?
    Thanks to all who post comps
    ITV winners membersclub#2
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere in the expansive forum threads but I couldn't find the answer.

Browsing the Cheap Energy Club and Big Switch information, I cannot find the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCRs) for any of the supplier deals listed. There is plenty of other information, including the unit rates and standing charges, but without the TCR (which combines the two to calculate the real-terms cost, it's very hard to make an accurate comparison.

Am I missing where the TCRs are recorded or an alternative method of finding out the figures? Or as MSE not included them for some reason?

I'm currently with Affect Energy on expiring fix but find it impossible to compare the cost of their new fix with, say, the collective Octopus fix, given Affect provides a TCR but the Cheap Energy Club doesn't. They're within 0.1p unit rate for electricity, but Affect's gas unit rate is cheaper. However, Octopus's standing charges for both are cheaper. This is where a TCR would come in handy!

Thoughts welcome...
    Originally posted by bigoll
    It might be because Ofgem has withdrawn the requirement for PCWs to quote flawed TCRs:

Quote In spring of 2017, Ofgem announced it would roll back its requirement for suppliers and energy switching sites like uSwitch to provide a tariff comparison rate (TCR), effective 23 June of the same year. Unquote

Source: uSwitch

From NPower's website:

Quote: Both the Competition Markets Authority (CMA) and Ofgem now recognise that TCR doesn't help customers make informed choices about their energy tariffs, as it focussed only on cost and didn't consider any other added value elements of tariffs. So, Ofgem have decided that all references to TCR in customer communications should be removed - this is a mandatory change across all energy suppliers. Unquote

The most accurate way to select a supplier is a cost projection using kWhs/year and your postcode.
    Last edited by Hengus; 07-02-2018 at 9:50 AM.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 7th Feb 18, 9:52 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    TCT's are useless because they are not tailored to your use but the average user. And no-one is the average user.

What you need is the total annual cost per fuel for your own usage (calculated from the annual fuel used in kWh) and whichever is the cheapest is the cheapest.

The TCR is calculated by

Multiply unit rate by Ofgem's average consumption figures 3,100 kWh for electricity and 12,500 kWh for gas
    Add a year's standing charge i.e. Standing Charge x 365 days
    Subtract any discounts applicable
    Add VAT at the current rate
    Divide this figure by 3,100 (electric) or 12,500 (gas) to give us the tariff comparison rate in pence per kWh

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/tariff-comparison-rate
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    I am locked into EDF until Sept 2018, is it worth switching to the MSE club switch for 18 months, I would have to pay an exit fee of 70

will the benefit of having a cheaper rate for the next 18 months or better to wait until my fixed rate ends?
    Originally posted by cinders59
    You need to do your own calculations based on future cost including having to pay the 70 exit fee. It is worth pointing out that collective switches are no longer market leading offers. You also need to look at alternative solutions. For example, if you switch to Bulb with a referral link then you can do so with a 50 credit when your transfer goes through and Bulb will also refund you your EDF exit fee. Octopus Energy is also offering a 50 credit if you use a family/friends link.

Bear in mind though that your present fix does offer you price protection in the event that energy costs increase. Only you can know how important this cost protection is to you.
    • cinders59
    • By cinders59 7th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 58,025 Thanks
    cinders59
    You need to do your own calculations based on future cost including having to pay the 70 exit fee. It is worth pointing out that collective switches are no longer market leading offers. You also need to look at alternative solutions. For example, if you switch to Bulb with a referral link then you can do so with a 50 credit when your transfer goes through and Bulb will also refund you your EDF exit fee. Octopus Energy is also offering a 50 credit if you use a family/friends link.

Bear in mind though that your present fix does offer you price protection in the event that energy costs increase. Only you can know how important this cost protection is to you.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Thank you for the advice, I will look into all the options
    Thanks to all who post comps
    ITV winners membersclub#2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,308Posts Today

7,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin