Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 11th Nov 19, 2:11 PM
    • 2,254Posts
    • 2,095Thanks
    Ballard
    0 WOW
    Connecting in Frankfurt
    • 11th Nov 19, 2:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Connecting in Frankfurt 11th Nov 19 at 2:11 PM
    Along the lines of a similar thread about Dubai, Iím connecting through FRA next week with a 1hr 20min connection time. LHR-FRA-BOG. Iíve checked which gates I will be using and itís apparently a 17 minute walk between them. This should be fine if the London leg leaves on time but a half hour delay would make things hairy.

Being as thereís only one BOG flight per day Iím rather hoping that I donít miss it and thereís always the chance of another Lufthansa strike.

Does anyone have any (hopefully comforting) experience of transiting in Frankfurt? FWIW Iím travelling business so should at least be one of the first off the plane.
    I hate verisimilitude.
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 11th Nov 19, 2:52 PM
    • 13,425 Posts
    • 9,251 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 11th Nov 19, 2:52 PM
    • 11th Nov 19, 2:52 PM
    My experience of that connection is out of date (1994) but not exactly comforting...

Towards the end of my flight into Frankfurt I asked BA cabin crew if they could find out the departure gate for my onward connection. The only answer I could get was that we were going to arrive early and so I did not need to worry.

Anyway, all the information in the arrivals area was about where to find the Frankfurt base for each airline, and since Avianca only flew from there once a week and so did not have a base there was no mention of my flight on any of the monitors. I asked a member of staff, who rather condescendingly told me how to use the monitors and could not conceive of a flight not being listed there...

I cannot remember how I found the number of my departure gate, but getting there involved a train ride and three separate security checks.When I reached the gate they told me as I was very late, but allowed me to board anyway.

In sum: if you know your departure gate and can find out in advance how to get there, and prepare yourself for security checks, you are likely to make your connection. On the other occasions when I have connected through Frankfurt there have been no major issues, but it is a very large airport and so getting around takes a long time. It is still far more convenient than CDG (which is not saying much).
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Nov 19, 3:00 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 11th Nov 19, 3:00 PM
    • 11th Nov 19, 3:00 PM
    Googling the flight number on landing should tell you the flight details and gate if it has been allocated (usually)
    • Ngozi
    • By Ngozi 11th Nov 19, 3:16 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Ngozi
    • 11th Nov 19, 3:16 PM
    • 11th Nov 19, 3:16 PM
    Pretty much if everything runs on time, you should be ok, but you need things to run on time.
    Just silly things like where you land in relation to where you want to be, but there is frequent buses and a train (Skyline?) running between terminals.

You'll have access to priority lanes for connecting flights and presuming BOG is Bogota in Colombia, you'll have to do passport control/check again, that can be a lottery in terms of amount of staff on etc...

As you're flying Business, first off and make use of any bus/train I reckon you should be fine.

Unless they strike again, which I think they were discussing today again?
    I don't know how their Unions work over there, if they have to give x-amount of days notice before going on strike or not.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 11th Nov 19, 4:24 PM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 11th Nov 19, 4:24 PM
    • 11th Nov 19, 4:24 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned that Iíve downloaded the app for the airport which gives gate numbers and even shows the route that I will need to take between gates so Iím reasonably happy that I wonít have to spend too long searching.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Nov 19, 3:42 PM
    • 8,353 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    martindow
    • 12th Nov 19, 3:42 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 3:42 PM
    I would try to get an earlier flight to FRA to avoid the stress and possibility of missing the plane. Is it possible for them to put you on an earlier connecting flight?

I think Avianca stop in Munich on the way. If that is right another possibility is going from LHR to MUC with a more generous connection time.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 12th Nov 19, 4:02 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 12th Nov 19, 4:02 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 4:02 PM
    If you havenít already then download the Lufthansa app. That will be updated with gate information so youíll be able to start planning as your first flight is taxying in.

I had a 1hr 20min connection through Frankfurt earlier this year and it was very tight. I made it but only just. Problem was my flight parked on a remote stand (Embraer aircraft). The buses to the terminal were prompt... but on arrival at the terminal, all the buses were queuing up to drop their pax off. Took at least 15mins waiting on the bus.

I doubt that will be a problem for you though, I expect the Heathrow flight being an Airbus will get a contact airbridge stand.

If you get out of Heathrow on time you should be fine. Just plan ahead (the app) and be savvy.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 12th Nov 19, 6:11 PM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 12th Nov 19, 6:11 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 6:11 PM
    Thanks for these replies.

I canít really get an earlier flight as getting to Heathrow much earlier than I am already would cause itís own problems. Other than that I donít have flexible tickets anyway.

I do have the Lufthansa app which together with the one for Frankfurt airport should be useful. The plane is an Airbus so Iím not expecting to be bused to the gate.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 14th Nov 19, 7:07 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    • 14th Nov 19, 7:07 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 7:07 PM
    This won’t be comforting, but I connected there last year and had two gate changes between landing and boarding.

There weren’t nearly enough departure boards around either. We realised when the little screen at the gate suddenly changed (no announcement was made) and then had to go hunting for one. It was not my favourite airport.

Although as i’ve Just read that you can’t change your tickets, you’ve already fully decided to take the risk. Good luck!
    Last edited by onwards&upwards; 14-11-2019 at 7:10 PM.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 21st Nov 19, 11:52 AM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Ballard
    As it turned out the gates in Frankfurt were close enough together to make it easy in Frankfurt. Unfortunately this was of no consequence as we had a medical emergency on board before taking off from Heathrow and had to wait about an hour for a paramedic to tend to her.

We arrived in time to see our onward plane depart and ended up with a four hour wait for a flight to Munich and a couple of hours there before Avianca took us to Bogot!.

The way weíre looking at it is that we spent a few hours eating and drinking in a few lounges and I slept well on the plane so allís weíll that ends well.

The unwell passenger walked off the plane unaided so youíd have thought that sheíd have been able to do that immediately sparing us the lengthy wait. Thatís not to say that safety first isnít the priority and Lufthansa did the right thing.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • HillsandDales
    • By HillsandDales 2nd Dec 19, 11:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HillsandDales
    We bought Lufthansa flights from Manchester to Dallas, with a change at Frankfurt. We had one hour to get from one gate to the next and our connection was already boarding as we arrived in the terminal. The race across the airport was very long and involved a train at one point. Then we saw the queue for security. The staff took us downstairs to a supposed 'fast track' security which took 45 minutes. We stood there listening to the last calls. It was another 8 minute dash to our gate. Our luggage had been unloaded and we were put in a hotel for the night. Could have done without the pointless stress - we could never have made that flight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

692Posts Today

4,680Users online

Martin's Twitter