Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RC1
    • By RC1 9th Oct 19, 12:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RC1
    0 WOW
    Flights & hotel booked separately from Thomas Cook package.
    • 9th Oct 19, 12:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Flights & hotel booked separately from Thomas Cook package. 9th Oct 19 at 12:53 PM
    Hi,

I booked a Thomas Cook package holiday with flights to & from Manchester. Since theyíve gone bust I rebooked (at a much lower cost) with another company to go from Dublin instead.

I already had separate flights booked with Easyjet to get me from Belfast to Manchester (and back again) plus a hotel for one night at Manchester Airport booked on Booking.com. These were both fully paid for by credit card but not part of the Thomas Cook package so I canít claim the costs from ATOL. Easyjet and Booking.com have both said they canít give me a refund.

Would my travel insurance cover this even though it is within the UK?
    Or, would I be able to claim this under Section 75 as I paid by credit card?

Iím just worried incase they say thereís nothing stopping me still taking the flights to/from Manchester and staying in the hotel as they are a separate booking.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Oct 19, 1:14 PM
    • 12,448 Posts
    • 8,111 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 9th Oct 19, 1:14 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 1:14 PM
    Would my travel insurance cover this even though it is within the UK?
    Or, would I be able to claim this under Section 75 as I paid by credit card?
    Originally posted by RC1
    Travel insurance - you need to check your policy documents
    S75 - no the hotel and flights are still available for you to use

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 9th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    My travel insurance didn't cover the 7 Travelodge rooms I had booked for our group the night before our flight from Gatwick in January, the ex TC flight has been moved to Stansted! So you'll need to really check the insurance wording or give them a call.

All I've been able to do is change the date of our bookings to April 2020, then will have to pay £10 per room to change them to Jan 2021 for our next group trip. Not Travelodges fault, so can't claim S75 as we had non refundable rooms, but they won't let us swap to the Stansted hotel.

There are so many hidden issues caused when a company goes under, it's not just the actual holiday, it's car parking, travel and hotels, or positioning flights.

Hope it's covered on your insurance.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    • 8,982 Posts
    • 14,826 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 9th Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    Iím just worried incase they say thereís nothing stopping me still taking the flights to/from Manchester and staying in the hotel as they are a separate booking.
    Originally posted by RC1
    The truth is that there is nothing stopping you still taking the flights to/from Manchester and staying in the hotel.

This is the risk you take with separate bookings. (I suspect the hotel booking would have had a cancellable option that would have cost a little more, but you chose the cheaper non-refundable option)

As Caz3121 has said, you need to check your travel insurance policy documents to see whether this would be covered.
    Section 75 doesnít apply as the hotel and flights are still available for you to use.

Can you change the easyJet flights and have a couple of nights away at a later date?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1123.85 (£700 offset), Nov £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

258Posts Today

3,648Users online

Martin's Twitter