Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Marcus
    • By MSE Marcus 7th Oct 19, 7:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 109Thanks
    MSE Marcus
    Forum Announcement
    • 7th Oct 19, 7:26 PM
    Forum Announcement 7th Oct 19 at 7:26 PM
    Dear MSE Forumites!

Im Marcus and Im the Editor-in-Chief at MoneySavingExpert.com.

I have some really important news to share with you and I hope you will all be as excited as we are here at MSE Towers.

MSE Forums began almost 17 years ago and has become one of the UKs biggest communities. Its a lively, active place to share everything from MoneySaving tips to the best slow-cooker recipes. Were incredibly proud of what you, the Forumites, have built, and see it as an invaluable part of our wider mission to help consumers.

For our regulars though, you will have noticed over the past few years that the bit we do the technology that supports our Forum - has been creaking at best, and completely broken at worst. Weve reached the stage where our present platform is simply unsustainable when it breaks, were not able to fix it.

We want your Forum to live for at least another 17 years.

So, weve made the big decision to significantly invest in a new platform which all of you will be moved across to. We aim to keep the best of the existing Forum, but tackle the frustrating bits that you tell us you dont like.

To be clear, some things will change. But staying as we are is not an option, and the alternative would be closing the MSE Forums which we have no intention of doing.

After many months of planning, research and an awful lot of meetings, weve found a new provider and work has started on the behind-the-scenes technology.

Your new platform will hopefully go live in early 2020. But in the meantime, we need your help! Were looking for a top team of Forumites to help us with the finishing touches, especially the look and feel of our new Forum. If youre interested in becoming a member (there may be a Badge!) of the Fab-Forumite Feature Testing Group, please let us know by registering your interest here

We realise some of you may feel apprehensive about all this. But closing the Forum simply wasnt an option to Martin, myself or the rest of MSE. That means, despite the challenges, were hoping you will embrace the new Forum.

As always, we welcome your constructive feedback and keep your eyes peeled for regular updates from me and the Forum Team over the coming weeks.

Marcus Herbert
    Editor-in-Chief, MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 15
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 13th Jan 20, 11:29 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    Not sure how I get round this one. The email I use for MSE is not available to me anymore and on top of that my computer remembers my password not me (its an old account) so I can't change the email as you need to know your password to change it. I don't use the forum much so I guess I'll just have to start again but if there is a clever workaround would love to know. Thanks
    • EalingBadger
    • By EalingBadger 13th Jan 20, 11:54 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EalingBadger
    Given this is your FIRST and ONLY post on MSE (which is why you can't post a link) in almost 8 and a half years since joining, thank you for your input, BUT WHY should anyone take a blind bit of notice of anything you have to say?
    Originally posted by quoia

Because he has provided valuable insight into the realities of the situation which people would be well advised to pay attention to.

Quantity is rarely a sure fire indication of quality.
    • ben501
    • By ben501 13th Jan 20, 3:09 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    ben501
    Not sure how I get round this one.

my computer remembers my password not me (its an old account) so I can't change the email as you need to know your password to change it.
    Originally posted by Baileysonice

So the password is stored in your browser. Go to your browser settings, find the password, set yourself a new email.

If you don't know how to do it, just ask Google (tell it which browser you use). You could ask on MSE too, if you don't mind people suggesting you use Google.
    • GabiB
    • By GabiB 13th Jan 20, 6:42 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GabiB
    Whats changing?
    Does it need a change?
    Im a forum newbie so dont judge but other than how clunky it is on mobiles I cant see any issues?

Is it just me thinking if it aint broke, dont fix it?
    • EddyB
    • By EddyB 14th Jan 20, 5:32 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    EddyB
    Only CHECK our email addresses now, or change passwords too?
    So, like every other member I received an email from MSE saying,
    You'll need to log in using the email address on your account, and will be required to reset your password as MSE will not be transferring your existing one for security reasons. If your email address isn't correct at the time of the switchover, then we will not be able to give you access after the move.
    You must take action now: Click here to check and update your email address before 3 February 2020

So, I clicked the above link to check my email address and was then presented with a screen inviting me to either enter my current password to continue or to change my password.

Question: as my email address has been recognised, MUST I change my password now, or leave that until after 3 February 2020? (I don't want to change it now, and then find I have to change it again after 3 February!)

Thanks.

• jibberjabber25
    • By jibberjabber25 14th Jan 20, 5:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jibberjabber25
    The only constant in life, is change
    The only constant in life, is change.
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 15th Jan 20, 6:58 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    So, like every other member I received an email from MSE saying,
    You'll need to log in using the email address on your account, and will be required to reset your password as MSE will not be transferring your existing one for security reasons. If your email address isn't correct at the time of the switchover, then we will not be able to give you access after the move.
    You must take action now: Click here to check and update your email address before 3 February 2020

So, I clicked the above link to check my email address and was then presented with a screen inviting me to either enter my current password to continue or to change my password.

Question: as my email address has been recognised, MUST I change my password now, or leave that until after 3 February 2020? (I don't want to change it now, and then find I have to change it again after 3 February!)

Thanks.

Originally posted by EddyB
    as has been said many times recently, if your email address is correct there is no reason to change your password
    • cw18
    • By cw18 15th Jan 20, 7:47 AM
    • 8,100 Posts
    • 86,286 Thanks
    cw18

Question: as my email address has been recognised, MUST I change my password now, or leave that until after 3 February 2020?

Originally posted by EddyB
    In my experience (from many other websites), just being presented with a screen asking for your password does NOT mean you email address has been recognised. Enter a password and it could still throw you out because it doesn't recognise either the email address or the password. The only way to be sure your email address is correct it to actually log in using it.

If your email address is fine (ie. you can log in using it), then there's no need to change your password now.
    Cheryl
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 15th Jan 20, 3:42 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 3,185 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    So what's the vibe then? Is the new forum going to be total garbage like the last "update" or is it going to all fresh new and cool like the latest Iphone? Anyone testing it can share a screenshot with us?

It's gonna be awful innit . I've seen that Digital Spy one, wasn't good.
    Last edited by fun4everyone; 16-01-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 20th Jan 20, 12:34 AM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 406,005 Thanks
    purplevamp
    Does anyone know if our signatures will still be there or should be copy them just incase? I use mine to track my progress for various goals.
    Mortgage: Was: 154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: 119,268.72 Dec 2037

Swagbucks ~ 25 (2019 ~ 365)
    Surveys ~ 32.34 (2019 ~ 277.45)
    PTC, etc ~ $10.00 ~ (2019 ~ $184.25)

I Love You" "I Know"
    • cw18
    • By cw18 20th Jan 20, 7:27 AM
    • 8,100 Posts
    • 86,286 Thanks
    cw18
    Even if they claim they'll be copied, I'd be sure to keep the information handy just in case it doesn't happen smoothly / accurately. (I used to work in IT, and have had snags with software implementations that weren't as big as this will be!)
    Cheryl
    • John_Doe
    • By John_Doe 23rd Jan 20, 11:37 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    John_Doe
    There's change coming to improve the forum, right? One change is that usernames can't have a space in them any more (hence my username layout) and that's improvement is it, because it looks like regression to me.

Good luck everybody for February 3rd.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

7,061Users online

Martin's Twitter